How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby __PG__ » Thu May 08, 2014 10:01 am

Chilly this morning. Wondering if my BBB Raceshields gloves aren't warm enough for cold winter mornings. My finger tips were still cold when I arrived at work.
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__

by BNA » Thu May 08, 2014 11:05 am

BNA

Postby TailWind » Thu May 08, 2014 11:05 am

Pleasant ride back yesterday afternoon, clear, dry and cool conditions.
Chilly indeed this morning. Donned some extra layers - even two pairs of merino socks. Toes still got chilly after an hour. Lots of mist along the creeks.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Thu May 08, 2014 11:21 am

TailWind wrote:Chilly indeed this morning. Donned some extra layers - even two pairs of merino socks. Toes still got chilly after an hour. Lots of mist along the creeks.

You should just ride a shorter distance, or get the train - they have heaters
jasonc

Postby alexander » Thu May 08, 2014 11:51 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:Chilly indeed this morning. Donned some extra layers - even two pairs of merino socks. Toes still got chilly after an hour. Lots of mist along the creeks.

while we're at it, why not move to brisbane, warmer there too, isn't it?
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby jasonc » Thu May 08, 2014 12:00 pm

alexander wrote:
jasonc wrote:

while we're at it, why not move to brisbane, warmer there too, isn't it?

it's ok for now (monday morning was leg warmers, arm warmers, gillet, full finger gloves), ask me in a months time (when I need the overshoes too)
jasonc

Postby AndreB1972 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:08 pm

jasonc wrote:it's ok for now (monday morning was leg warmers, arm warmers, gillet, full finger gloves), ask me in a months time (when I need the overshoes too)

Jason, maybe you should also take the train. I'll let you know when it warms up again...
AndreB1972

Postby jasonc » Thu May 08, 2014 1:19 pm

AndreB1972 wrote:
jasonc wrote:it's ok for now (monday morning was leg warmers, arm warmers, gillet, full finger gloves), ask me in a months time (when I need the overshoes too)

Jason, maybe you should also take the train. I'll let you know when it warms up again...

Isn't it bad enough that I have no commuting tomorrow or Monday?
jasonc

Postby AndreB1972 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:24 pm

We're even then - I'm not riding today or tomorrow. Tailwind should really use PT for a while.
AndreB1972

Postby jasonc » Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 pm

AndreB1972 wrote:We're even then - I'm not riding today or tomorrow. Tailwind should really use PT for a while.

Yeah - we're worried about his health. He really needs a break
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Thu May 08, 2014 2:16 pm

jasonc wrote:

What, those tubular germ incubators disguised as train carriages?? Ain't going to happen ... :mrgreen:

And with this lovely Melbs afternoon today I should do the scenic route...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Thu May 08, 2014 3:46 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:

What, those tubular germ incubators disguised as train carriages?? Ain't going to happen ... :mrgreen:

I'm going home via a bike shop. Does that count?
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu May 08, 2014 7:25 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:

I caught the train once.

I've actually got a facebook album where I take photos of people asleep on the train. Not the 'slowly drifting off to sleep' ones but the 'f****************k me urgghghhhhhhhhh that's the last time Iiiiiiiiurpppppp go to the Valley with you mate!' ones :P

From what I recall that guy ended up puking his guts out just before I got on the train. But hey. Still beats the bus I reckon. I've seen hairdressers with less hair on the ground than some buses.

Lukeyboy

Postby __PG__ » Thu May 08, 2014 10:25 pm

I just wear booties on cold mornings. I had normal cotton socks in my shoes this morning and I was fine.
__PG__

Postby DavidS » Thu May 08, 2014 11:53 pm

Cool morning in Melbourne today, just not quite cold enough to don the full jacket so I went out in the thin vest over the T shirt as usual. Turned out to be the right decision, quite warm once I got going. I think 5 degrees is the tipping point for full jacket and gloves for me.

Given the cool morning I was amazed at how many people were out today. There were bikes everywhere. Nice to see.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby __PG__ » Fri May 09, 2014 10:52 am

I tried a new combination this morning. Merino 195 T-shirt with gillet, armwarmers and gloves. Worked well along with tights over bibs + booties. The merino layer has no pockets but the gillet does.
__PG__

Postby TailWind » Fri May 09, 2014 11:25 am

DavidS wrote:I think 5 degrees is the tipping point for full jacket and gloves for me.DS

We all have some 'junk' DNA, genes that aren't activated but which we share with most creatures on this planet.
I'm guessing you got yourself a set of polar bear genes activated somehow! :shock:

5C is more than enough excuse for me to wear at least 2 layers + a shell and longs allround :mrgreen:

Pleasant enough yesterday afternoon, sunny and dry. My SDP was waiting when I got home, will fit it on the front over the weekend.

There was a burnt out car on the Darebin Creek Trail this morning at the Bell St underpass. I had just swept around a corner towards the bridge when the wreckage suddenly loomed large in my lights. Looks like the fire brigade had put it out not too long ago, there was still water dripping from what was left of the body.

Happy Friday! :D

Edit: spelling
Last edited by TailWind on Fri May 09, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TailWind

Postby nezumi » Fri May 09, 2014 11:44 am

I think I need to do a week of comparison riding between Heidelberg Road from Ivanhoe to Clifton Hill and back roads through Fairfield.

I keep getting caught in car traffic jams/held up by them and have to filter between slower.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby DavidS » Fri May 09, 2014 11:55 pm

Yep, I think I got the polar bear DNA, mind you summer is not so pleasant for me.

As for today's commute: bloody awful.

Ride in was fine.

Left work at about 5.10, possibly the earliest I've left for 12 months. Get to bike, flat tyre. Damn. Fix flat, couldn't find anything in the tyre but there was a small hole in the tyre, something must have gone in and possibly out again. After a couple of trials I did manage to get going only to get another puncture on the way home. Not in a good spot either since it was a long way home or to a railway station. So much for getting home early, I was now much later than usual. So, I had to walk a few KMs to a railway station and take the train home. Why does something like this always happen when I actually leave work on time for once? I suppose I can't complain too much since it is the first puncture for about 18 months. Rear tyre is now going, it was looking a bit gone anyway as the sidewall seems to have split a bit and was becoming uneven.

What a bummer.

DS

DavidS

Postby kb » Sat May 10, 2014 9:44 am

nezumi wrote:I think I need to do a week of comparison riding between Heidelberg Road from Ivanhoe to Clifton Hill and back roads through Fairfield.

What about Darebin Rd? Haven't been that way for 20 years but it used to flow pretty well. Otherwise, I'm always amazed what a difference +-10 mins can make - the problem is the gap is never in the same place :-)
kb

Postby WarbyD » Mon May 12, 2014 9:14 am

Bloody good commute this morning! Weather was perfect for it, hardly anyone else was out (except the ninja riding on the wrong side of the path north of the mt henry bridge.. the gene pool won't miss him) and I got to give my new toy a good run.

Picked up a "Shogun Samurai" road bike for an absolute steal from Gumtree on the weekend, took it for it's maiden ride this morning for the 29km to work.. Jeeeze, what a difference!! According to Strava, my average speed was 27km/h (average lately has been 22-23km/h on the 29er), and I got 41 "achievements" - PB'd almost every segment on my commute lol. This was with the mindset too of "taking it very easy" to feel out the bike given that (1) I've never really ridden drops (that's definitely going to take some getting used to!! most comfortable position for me on the drops was right down the near the end, where i couldn't reach the brifters..) ; and, (2) I bought it second hand and while I had given it a bit of a going over and couldn't see any issues, don't know it's history or what issues it may have been hiding.

I gotta say I am stoked with the purchase.. $200 got me the bike which barely looks like it's been ridden (cassette and chainrings look almost new, chain looks to still have most of it's factory coating, tyres still have the little rubber knobby bits, paint is immaculate), a pair of exustar carbon fiber sole shoes in my size (although the soles are separating, on both shoes - anyone know roughly what it costs to have a cobbler re-glue the soles?), a helmet (seems like a cheapy, but is very very light - it'll do as a spare), front & rear lights (cheapies, but they do the job) and a fancy shmancy carbon fiber pump.

I also gotta say I was genuinely surprised at just how much of a difference the bike made to the ride.. I knew that the combination of lighter bike + skinnier tyres (AT) higher pressure + road gearing would be different to commuting on the hardtail 29er with 700x38 road tyres, but I didn't know it would be THIS different..
WarbyD

Postby TailWind » Mon May 12, 2014 9:22 am

The burnt out car on the Darebin Creek Trail had been moved out from under the bridge at Bell St and dragged onto the grass when I rode through there on Friday afternoon.
Unventful ride otherwise.

Cool and dry this morning with a bit of mist around the creeks.
I now have the Durano Plus on the front and am pretty happy with the ride. None of that nerve-wracking hissing/howling anymore that the SMP makes when cornering hard :) . The SDP feels smoother generally and is definitely grippier.
TailWind

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon May 12, 2014 11:00 am

Perth

What a start to the week.All round Goldilocks conditions - not to hot and not too cold, not to breezy. I had about three drops of rain on me somewhere in Como and there were few silly actions by others.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue May 13, 2014 10:11 pm

Perth:

Same-oh. Even better in fact. I spotted the same family of swans and cygnets as yesterday, actually straddling the path this morning. Surprisingly there was no aggression as I rode between them.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby DavidS » Wed May 14, 2014 12:12 am

Glorious weather in Melbourne last couple of days. Very little wind and so much easier to get a decent average speed.

Who'd want to be shut up in a car or squeezed on to a train?

DS

DavidS

Postby isabella24 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:56 am

Managed to somehow leave my water bottle on the kitchen bench this morning and not realize until 5kms into my commute - not enough time to go back and get it without being late for work. Rode the whole 24kms with only a stop at the m7 bubbler for water, which was a pretty good effort seeing as I'd had nothing to drink since dinner the night before! Gosh I was thirsty by the time I got to work though. Luckily I have a spare bottle at work for the ride home...
isabella24

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting