How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby tubby74 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Got a thorough honking tonight for the crime of not running a red light. Waiting to turn left as was the car, light go green except for a red arrow due to pedestrians crossing. Idiot seemed so intent on bike hate they didnt pay the lights any attention.

apart from that the weather has been awesome this week
tubby74

by BNA » Sat May 17, 2014 8:42 am

BNA

Postby Lurkin » Sat May 17, 2014 8:42 am

Managed to get green lights all the way from Melbourne to Preston on thursday.. home ten minutes earlier!
Lurkin

Postby Mububban » Sun May 18, 2014 11:15 am

tubby74 wrote:Got a thorough honking tonight for the crime of not running a red light. Waiting to turn left as was the car, light go green except for a red arrow due to pedestrians crossing. Idiot seemed so intent on bike hate they didnt pay the lights any attention.

apart from that the weather has been awesome this week

At the rate I see of people running fully red lights anyway, he probably didn't care about you at all, just wanted to go regardless!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!
Mububban

Postby jasonc » Mon May 19, 2014 7:54 am

hit 20000kms on my pro-lite comos this morning. not bad for a little over 2 years of use
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Mon May 19, 2014 9:59 am

My throat is hurting. Think I picked up a cold on Friday. I did my usual morning run (although cut it shorter due to being sick and later than usual). When I went to hop on the bike to head to work, 5 metres down the road I had to stop as I was feeling too light and free. Considering I was also sick I thought something was seriously wrong. What was I missing??? Helmet? No, that was on my head... Oh no! ... My backpack with my work clothes, wallet etc. I turned around sheepishly and got it. I blame being sick.

The ride was a struggle with the lack of energy.

A motorcyclist decided to pass me in the left lane with less than 20 cms to spare on Albert St just past Hoddle this morning. He had a clear right hand lane to overtake in and I'd seen him coming and moved further right to encourage him to move over into the next lane. Not so! With no room to spare he wizzed past me and the other cyclist I was overtaking at the time. Where's our 1m rule? :roll:

Oh, and a lady passenger decided to get out of her SUV on Macarthur St, opening her door right over the bike lane (and yes, in this part of the Melbourne CBD it is an actual signed bike lane). She was opening the door and let it go accidentally so it flew fully open. She knew I was coming so quickly made a grab for it, pulled it back in before I got there and then hopped out after I went past. Why can't people just find a legal place to park to let off passengers? It isn't that hard...
Summernight

Postby WarbyD » Mon May 19, 2014 10:08 am

Entirely pleasant commute in Perth this morning.. Amazingly few cyclists out - I didn't see a single one travelling north (saw a couple going south) from Armadale Rd to Canning Hwy!! Stretched the commute out to 40km (although Strava has decided today that it was 37.2km ... The exact same route on Strava registers anywhere from 36 to 41km *shrugs*) today - arrived feeling like I could have definitely stretched it further so will look to push that out to 50km tomorrow morning.
WarbyD

Postby Summernight » Mon May 19, 2014 10:53 am

On, and this was Friday night's dodgy MacGyver moment for me with 5 rubber bands and a sturdy container. I wasn't leaving the work supplied free yummy vegetarian lasagne at work when I could also have it for dinner!

Luckily I and it arrived home safe and sound with no loss of braking or control power. Only my Garmin was obscured. :P

Summernight

Postby Lizzy » Mon May 19, 2014 11:53 am

WarbyD wrote:Entirely pleasant commute in Perth this morning.. Amazingly few cyclists out ...

Right?? I only saw about 5 the whole way to city west (a few more once I got to narrows though). Had half a mind to stop and check it was actually Monday.

Gentle sprinkle of rain around the halfway point but it passed without me wanting to deploy the jacket.

Tidy work on the lasagne portage, Summer! Mmmm, lasagne ...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby WarbyD » Mon May 19, 2014 12:27 pm

Lizzy wrote:
WarbyD wrote:Entirely pleasant commute in Perth this morning.. Amazingly few cyclists out ...

Right?? I only saw about 5 the whole way to city west (a few more once I got to narrows though). Had half a mind to stop and check it was actually Monday.

I had a similar thought when it occurred to me 20km into the ride that I hadn't seen ANYONE heading north.. And a repeat of the same thought when I arrived at the office an hour later than usual, to find a grand total of zero bikes in my usual rack (normally 4-5 by 7am). It's like everyone in Perth just decided to take the day off today :shock:
WarbyD

Postby CXCommuter » Mon May 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Saw plenty of commuters NOR in Perth this morning- but left later than usual, just after 7:00, usually out the door 6:15 give or take 15 minutes. Late start was due to 12 hours of sleep after 24hour trip back from Nagoya Japan via KL with no sleep (having a 4 and 6 year old in tow is hard work).

Note to self to mention cycling in Japan- Amazing reintroduction to proper cycle commuting. Used the dreaded Mama-Chari repeatedly every day to get around. Virtually everyone cycles for a purpose- not just for sport. Most riding done on the footpath at jogging speeds, pedestrians have right of way over bikes who have right of way over cars. At intersections cars always gave way (with No observed exceptions). No anger, spite or raging was observed. On a side note though apparently in Tokyo some footpaths are now not accessible for bicycles (but everyone still rides on the footpath).

Bicycles for commuting are cheap ($90 to $400 gets you a Mama-Chari) and accessible so are seen more like semi disposable items like a mobile, pair of shoes etc. apparently in Tokyo something like 30,000 abandoned bikes where disposed of in 2013 (don't quote me on this was just a passing comment by a friend in Tokyo)
CXCommuter

Postby jasonc » Tue May 20, 2014 9:14 am

5000kms for the year commuting. JUST staying ahead of TW. Andre is killing me
jasonc

Postby bychosis » Tue May 20, 2014 9:19 am

655km commuting this year, I'm not far off the leaderboard... I've done 5000 since Nov 2010 :D

Detoured commute this morning. My wife's car is in for repairs, leaving us with one, so today was slightly later start at work preceded by walking the kids and bike to school and then riding to work. Quite muggy this morning, and extra pram traffic on the share path due to the later start.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby TailWind » Tue May 20, 2014 9:49 am

Encountered the motorised menaces on the DCT again yesterday afternoon, pretty sure it's one of the regulars on a different scooter....three-up this time:

Then a couple of kms from home this on Plenty Rd:

Several people sitting and lying on the grass verge. One of them looked like a foreign student, and at least one of the other cars was carrying a bunch of school kids.
Not good.
Traffic was already backing up quite severly, no sign of cops/ambulance/towtruck when I rode past, but lots of people in attendance helping out.

Decent ride this morning, no incidents.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jools » Tue May 20, 2014 11:00 am

The showers at work are back in action so I'm back on the bike! Yay!! But after 6 weeks of not riding I'm really feeling it - yesterday was fine but this morning I had no strength and added an extra 5 minutes of travel time. I think I'll be struggling for a week or two until I get back some level of strength and fitness.
jools

Postby rdp_au » Tue May 20, 2014 11:18 am

Bizarre experience on the way home last night. Cruising along the shared path through Sydney Olympic Park in the dark, quite a few bikes out, and numerous ninja pedestrians – situation normal. Approaching a pedestrian on my side of the path, there was a group of bikes coming the other way and I could see that we would all end up passing at the same time. I slowed to walking pace behind the ped and waited for the bikes to pass. It looked like they were a family with two adults and two children. The adults and one child rode past slowly, but the last child pulled across and stopped directly in front of us. The ped stepped around him and kept going but I stopped, and just as I did so, the child dropped his bike and ran towards me, waving for me to stop. He was fixated on my headlight, ran to it and tried to fiddle with the switch. He said nothing and ignored me, just focussed on my light. I said as kindly as I could that he really shouldn’t stop in the middle of the path and to leave my light alone. He continued to ignore me, and the parents, who had stopped just past us weren’t doing anything either, so I gently shepherded him to the side of the path and continued on my way.

I can only assume that he was disturbed by my light in some way and wanted to turn it off. I don’t think it would have been dazzling him, as it’s a Philips light with a proper cutoff beam, certainly easier to look at than the numerous other lights they would have passed along the path already. I don’t know, maybe my light was the last straw for the poor little chap.
rdp_au

Postby WarbyD » Tue May 20, 2014 11:24 am

Made good on my commitment yesterday to extend this mornings commute out to 50km - ended up doing 57.3km, thats 17km more than i've ever ridden in one go before and was done on nothing more than a banana for energy so I'm happy with it :D Would like to make this something I do at least once a week, aiming to extend it further again every week or two.

The extra k's today were thanks to adding a loop from canning hwy overpass around the river to um - preston point rd I think it was lol - down to canning hwy towards fremantle and back up the highway to freeway again. Very nice ride without any incidents - A couple of passes which were closer than I would have liked, but each I put down to ignorance rather than malice so I'm not phased. Didn't realise how bloody many hills I'd encounter though haha - Definitely feeling it by the time I got to work.

Also found that the extra KM really played havoc on my hands and wrists, both of which were sore as hell by the end of the ride. I have a shorter stem coming to try and improve position which I'm hoping will help, and also thinking I may re-wrap the bars with some nicer tape (perhaps even double wrap).
WarbyD

Postby TraceyG » Tue May 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Beautiful morning for the ride in today but I still wasn't happy. I've got some winter cycling wear to review and need some cold, wet rides! I guess this Indian summer can't last forever.
TraceyG

Postby poohkies » Tue May 20, 2014 4:00 pm

well that hurt,havn't ridden for 2 weeks let alone commute for nearly 3 weeks, tried to do the front of cootha, to much ice cream me thinks nearly died! still managed 40km's so that's a start to getting the riding bug back :)
poohkies

Postby jasonc » Tue May 20, 2014 8:13 pm

wondered if you remembered how to ride
jasonc

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 21, 2014 9:16 am

Goldilocks weather - a beautiful sunny day, not hot, not cold. The worst motorist behaviour I encountered was the unnecessary use of his horn (apparently he resents having to give way when (a) stationary (b) turning left at a T-Intersection & (c) wasn't going anywhere due to the car in front of him) and your ride ends with not 1 but 2 chic cyclists on their way to work.

Life is good.
find_bruce

Postby TailWind » Wed May 21, 2014 10:58 am

Upon leaving the building yesterday afternoon, the skies looked grey and gloomy, the roads were wet with rain and covered in large drifts of autumn leaves all over the place. It's getting slippery, so take care out there!

As I headed past Ivanhoe on the Darebin Creek Trail, the skies cleared beautifully and the sun was out. Lovely ride back, even though the bike is thoroughly grimy again.

Dry and cool this morning, good ride into the Melbourne CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby bychosis » Wed May 21, 2014 11:57 am

Love the sound of leaves skittering away as I ride though them, best on MTB in the bush. Don't get much on my commute though.

Got held up by cars this morning on my short road section. Had some momentum from the hill and the speed bumps slow the cars to below cycling speed. Decided not to move left from the right lane into slower traffic, but then ended up overtaking a van in front of me, using the now empty left lane. Passed about 5 cars.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Wed May 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Weather continues to warm up, had to strip off the long sleeved jersey this morning after 4k. Still sweating by the time I was approached by survey-takers while stopped at a set of lights on Kent street. Answered their three qs (How many days did I ride last week? Where did I start the morning commute? Where would I finish?) and would have have done the polite thing and asked who they represent and what the aim of their survey is, but the light turned green and I had somewhere else to be.

Now that I come to think of it, perhaps they were also recording how many cyclists stopped on the red. Having ridden this route for six months now, I'd have to estimate somewhere around 60% :shock: .
FiveDaysAWeek

Postby Summernight » Wed May 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Day off commuting yesterday due to being sick. I woke up yesterday morning and went "I just cannot struggle out of the house to go for my morning swim". Since I wasn't up for the swim then I clearly wasn't up for going to work.

I didn't have great energy levels this morning due to this bug/virus/whatever and the ride was a bit of a struggle. Motorists behaved themselves which was nice. I had a car behind me in the two block section of Albert without a bike lane. The two block section that usually causes me the most grief. I was thinking they might do the revving, close tailgating, bad overtake, foul mouthed abuse on the overtake, rev and honk to get out of the way at the red light etc. Nope. He/she patiently waited behind me at a good distance, even after moving off from a red light, until the dedicated bike lane appeared and I moved into that. The driver then passed me nicely and safely. Thanks, whoever you were. It was appreciated. :)
Summernight

Postby Mugglechops » Wed May 21, 2014 8:55 pm

First post in here for me for a long time. I have been back commuting since about March. So far only driven to work about 10 times.

My commute home last night/this morning was done in the middle of the road all the way for 12kms.

Gotta love riding at 1.30am :-)
Mugglechops

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting