How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby WarbyD » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:59 pm

Pleasant enough commute home on teh 29er last night, with the roadie wheel (now sans-brokenspoke) strapped to the side of the rack. Heard one comment from a pedestrian near the start of the ride that made me chuckle as a young lady expressed some surprise at seeing a bike carrying a whole spare wheel. No concerns, no issues, no rain, no angst. Just a slow steady plod home.

This morning back on the road bike - again, entirely pleasant. Changed the stem to something a little shorter last night and feel that it was the right move. Wrists and hands definitely felt better for it. Drivetrain is sounding rather noisy though (on both bikes) so think a good bit of cleaning is in order this weekend.

Summernight's post made me realise something too.. In ~2100km of commuting since I started this year, I have not been honked ONCE. Not one. Not a single driver has beeped their horn at me.. I've had a few close passes (had a motorbike this morning actually, was tempted to give him a serve but instead enjoyed that he positioned himself poorly and got stuck in traffic that I was able to filter through) and dirty looks, but not a single driver has felt so disrupted by my presence on their road that they have felt a need to beep at me. I like that. (Admittedly, probably 80% of my commute is on shared path, but still..).
WarbyD

by BNA » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:25 am

BNA

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:25 am

Had to come in by public transport this morning after months of unbroken bicycle commuting, and quickly concluded that rain pissing down on the bike yesterday was better than being dry in a bus today. The seats were apparently designed for people with thigh bones half the length of mine and nobody seemed happy to be there.
FiveDaysAWeek

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:41 am

FiveDaysAWeek wrote:Had to come in by public transport this morning after months of unbroken bicycle commuting, and quickly concluded that rain pissing down on the bike yesterday was better than being dry in a bus today. The seats were apparently designed for people with thigh bones half the length of mine and nobody seemed happy to be there.

"Who designed these buses? Midgets?"
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:57 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
FiveDaysAWeek wrote:Had to come in by public transport this morning after months of unbroken bicycle commuting, and quickly concluded that rain pissing down on the bike yesterday was better than being dry in a bus today. The seats were apparently designed for people with thigh bones half the length of mine and nobody seemed happy to be there.

I have the same problem. plenty of room for my feet on the bike :D
jasonc

Postby MattyK » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:12 am

Slipped off my pedal clipping in at the bottom of a hill and gouged my shin. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
MattyK

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:29 am

Rain around this morning. The radar said it would probably be ok so I added a rear guard to the bike, donned a spray jacket and set off, I'm determined not to be a fair weather commuter when I have the option to ride. The spray jacket ended up being a sauna though rather than rain protection. The rear mudguard was welcome as the ground was pretty wet. I did have a slightly hairy moment at a T intersection, little bit too fast so ran wide for fear of dropping to the ground and there was a car around the corner that had just left a driveway, dumb cyclist moment. Waved an apology and kept moving.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:43 am

Nice commute this morning... Left a little later than usual and was rewarded with beautiful (if a little chilly) weather and light. River looked stunning as always, especially with a pair of dolphins swimming gracefully near Mt Henry Bridge. So glad I got into this commuting caper :D

Only issue I did run across is discovering that (1) the spare tube in my saddle bag apparently won't hold air for some reason; and, (2) the 2nd spare I thought was in my backpack apparently was not. Thankfully (for me) though, this was discovered when I stopped to help a bloke with a flat who had forgotten his spare. Note to self: Buy more spare tubes before I leave today. This was on a relatively busy stretch of PSP so as soon as we established my tube wasn't going to be much use we were able to flag someone else down to help and I was on my way.

Found a Repco (woohoo... lol) pump heading into the city too. If anyone has lost one, let me know and I'll get it back to you - otherwise it can go into my "spares" box.
WarbyD

Postby TailWind » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:07 am

Encountered the regular trail bike/scooter hoons on the Darebin Creek Trail near Northlands again. These are exactly the idiots that the ill-fated police blitz was supposed to stop. :x
When I caught up to them and yelled at them to get off the trail, two of them stopped and called for their mates who had continued up ahead. I had to stop as well due to a couple of dog walkers blocking the path, and (rather pointlessly) yelled at them some more. Then tried to catch up with their "leader", was briefly blocked by a lady with a pram in the middle of the path, whom the leader had spoken with as he went past - not sure if they were related or if he was harassing her.
Tried to get a decent close-up shot of them, but the camera doesn't do well at any distance beyond 5m or so, especially on a bumpy section like that. So I resorted to some more ranting and got shown the finger a few times for my troubles.
These morons are real menaces. The cops need to come up with a better solution than their last attempt - perhaps an undercover operation - make them look like commuters and kit them out with 750W e-MTBs, then have them ride around the Northland area for a bit.
A clip follows for your amusement.

Further along at Kingsbury, the path was being turned into a slip'n'slide by my old friend:

Made a mental note to remember this stretch for the invariably wet morning commute.
Other than another forced detour off the path through some muddy dirt track because of some works affecting the path, the rest of the ride was less aggravating.

This morning was wet again, but incident free, remembered to tip-toe over the mushy grass on the path. The bike looks a mess, some serious maintenance is scheduled over the long weekend.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:49 am

WarbyD wrote:Summernight's post made me realise something too.. In ~2100km of commuting since I started this year, I have not been honked ONCE. Not one. Not a single driver has beeped their horn at me.. I've had a few close passes (had a motorbike this morning actually, was tempted to give him a serve but instead enjoyed that he positioned himself poorly and got stuck in traffic that I was able to filter through) and dirty looks, but not a single driver has felt so disrupted by my presence on their road that they have felt a need to beep at me. I like that. (Admittedly, probably 80% of my commute is on shared path, but still..).

Yeah, the honks are pretty predictable in the areas where they happen - the two block section of a CBD feeder road where there is two lanes heading in the same direction, parked cars and no bike lane heading towards the city when motorists are in such a hurry to get to work in the mornings. The other place is in Collins St, Melbourne CBD on the downhill when I'm also claiming the lane (I'm not riding in the door death zone) and going the speed limit of 40kph or just under. "Get out of my way I want to speed!" is what they are saying to me in these situations.

And then it is sometimes when stationary in the bike box waiting for a traffic light to go green. Like the motorist behind me can go anywhere anyway what with the red light. :roll:

Mostly I have an eye on the cars behind me with my rear vision mirror so can gauge motorist's attitudes as they are approaching and prepare accordingly.

Because I claim the lane where I think it is necessary I have had less close passes - probably more toots, but I think the people who toot me would have been the ones to close pass me anyway so I prefer the horn to the lack of space.

I cleaned the chain at lunch yesterday with Prolink.

It didn't rain on the way home like it should have (given I'd just cleaned the chain) but the BB was creaking every now and again so I am tossing up whether to take it for another re-grease and tighten or to keep riding it until it dies and I replace it (I already have the replacement BB ready).

The bike was so much smoother with less gunk on the chain. :)

Tired legs this morning. Crisp clear lovely morning. Mostly well-behaved motorists.
Summernight

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:34 pm

Wouldn't it be a treat for the tooting driver to fall to the ground in front of them in shock.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby nezumi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:15 pm

Summernight wrote:And then it is sometimes when stationary in the bike box waiting for a traffic light to go green. Like the motorist behind me can go anywhere anyway what with the red light. :roll:

I have a habit that, if I am the first to the bike box and it is clear, I will hold hard to the left (if going straight ahead and the bike lane continues) and let others take the bike box space if they wish.

If, however, a car has decided that they need to use the bike box space and covered it, I will ensure that I place myself prominently and squarely in front of the vehicle. I have decent sprinting legs, so taking off isn't an issue. I would rather assert a cyclist's right to be in the front and centre of the lane, especially in city traffic, where (as a result of your unfortunate incident) we cyclists have been advised by the good Sergent Lavos that the bicycle lanes are only good for filtering in stationary traffic, and if traffic is moving we are best off taking the lane.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:22 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:

Not the bus designers' fault that you didn't stop growing when you were supposed to. I fit those seats fine, I'd just rather ride than get on one of those portable disease incubators/festboxes...

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:54 pm

That was less pleasant than it should have been - tow truck driver decided that the footpath / shared path was the perfect place to park while he waited for some moron motorists to collide. Slowed down, path was not quite blocked, or so I thought - didn't notice the black mirror sticking out until the last second & stuck my hand up to protect myself. No damage to me or the mirror. Angry ant was pretty quick out of the drivers door - almost got collected by a bus in doing so. The way he started mouthing off I wasn't going to hang around & went on my way with a colourful character assessment and suggestion as to what he could do with himself and his truck. Perhaps I should have said SMIDSY
find_bruce

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:58 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Not the bus designers' fault that you didn't stop growing when you were supposed to. I fit those seats fine, I'd just rather ride than get on one of those portable disease incubators/festboxes...

Hey! I have big feet too you know!

And you know what they say about a bloke with big feet and big hands....

big socks and big gloves
jasonc

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Skipped the rain again. Donned all the gear and didn't need it. Poured all arvo at work, then cleared until not long after getting home.
bychosis

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:07 pm

jasonc wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Not the bus designers' fault that you didn't stop growing when you were supposed to. I fit those seats fine, I'd just rather ride than get on one of those portable disease incubators/festboxes...

Hey! I have big feet too you know!

And you know what they say about a bloke with big feet and big hands....

big socks and big gloves

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Geoff, I fit the seats in the older buses as they have more legroom between seats but the newer buses I don't fit as they are designed for cramming more people on the bus. The newer buses that are nicknamed transformers or something I can only just fit in. In fact the longer triaxel buses that are seen running across the south side I can not fit the seat. Literally. THe gap between the back of the seat to the seat in front is shorter than the distance between my knee and my ass :lol: :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:10 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Geoff, I fit the seats in the older buses as they have more legroom between seats but the newer buses I don't fit as they are designed for cramming more people on the bus. The newer buses that are nicknamed transformers or something I can only just fit in. In fact the longer triaxel buses that are seen running across the south side I can not fit the seat. Literally. THe gap between the back of the seat to the seat in front is shorter than the distance between my knee and my ass :lol: :lol:

no wonder i stopped catching the bus
jasonc

Postby goneriding » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Twas the best and worst of commutes this morning. On the downside, some caged moron in a hurry on his mobile charged out of an intersection. Buggered if I know how I actually missed him. I had the bike sideways and somehow managed to recover it and swerve around him. I felt the need to explain to him the error of his ways but he managed to run the lights before I caught him.

This was followed sometime after by a flat just before getting to the ANZAC Bridge. Thanks to all/any who offered assistance.

On the upside the it was the bici's first outing with its new groupset. It's got a lovely Campag Centaur groupset on it and it is sliky smooth to ride. Highly recommended! BTW, the brakes are awesome with reference to my earlier statement!
goneriding

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:59 pm

Beautiful sunset in Perth tonight. Took nearly 4 hours to get home though as I was rudely interrupted by a burrito and some tea & cake. Happy weekend kids :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby kb » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:29 am

TailWind wrote:Other than another forced detour off the path through some muddy dirt track because of some works affecting the path, the rest of the ride was less aggravating.

I hit that along the Eastern Fwy. It looked like about 3:2 riders turning back rather than trying to get around. I can confirm Garmin Vectors don't shed mud very well. Almost had a clip stack when they dried around Gipps street and my preferred foot wouldn't disengage :-)
kb

Postby WarbyD » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:31 am

No issues on this mornings commute (other than me cutting across some grass, hitting a soft sand patch and falling rather gracelessly over the kerb that I was about to make my way down... oops). Beautiful weather for it and after giving the bike a good clean and lube on the weekend the bike felt great.
WarbyD

Postby sorted » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Excellent, due to a combination of a rested legs, good weather and newly fitted brifters.

As a child of the STI-shifter generation and a recent convert from mountain bikes to a CrMo roadie commuter, I never really got to grips with downtube shifters. I gave them a go for 1000km and got used to using them, but really missed the ability to change gear easily! I can see that they would work for me on longer road-based rides, but on my commute which is largely PSP, with junctions, hills, pedestrians and bike traffic, being able to change gear without taking your fingers off the brakes is easier, more fun and probably much safer.

On a related note, are there conventions for the various hand signals other riders use behind their back mean? If so, where is a good place to look them up? I'm flattered to be included in such things and can figure out a few obvious ones, but there also seem to be a few subtleties that escape me. I tend to end up concentrating on what's going on ahead rather than trying to remember what the previous signal was and work out how it might relate to the conditions!
sorted

Postby TraceyG » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:31 am

You know what I hate, what I really, really hate? Getting organised the night before, bag packed, lights charged, bike checked, gear laid out ready to commute - and then waking up to the foggiest morning of the year! That's what I hate.
TraceyG

Postby WarbyD » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:19 am

Almost didn't ride this morning after waking at 0500 to what sounded like a torrential downpour.. Turned the alarm off and went back to sleep for a bit, woke again at 0600 to find the rain had stopped. Umm'd and ahh'd a bit, looked at the BOM radar and finally made the call to ride. Glad I did - not a drop of rain the whole way in, although lots of puddles of course!

....I don't mind riding in the rain, but there is a limit lol
WarbyD

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:11 am

I got caught in the rain in Sydney but just laughed it off. Also had an amusing case of MGIF - apparently it was just too much to bear for this rhymes with banker to discover that his $200k Mercedes ML 63 AMG was no quicker than a fat slow old bloke on a bike as he raced from one red light to the next.
find_bruce

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting