How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:41 am

WarbyD wrote:On the bus today. Blah!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

I hear you. Car today :cry: lack of sleep last night, sick wife, non sleeping toddler, mysterious kitchen appliance malfunction in the night followed by emergency dissasemble this morning. Late start too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

by BNA » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:35 pm

BNA

Postby sorted » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:35 pm

A beautiful morning in Perth and a good run except for a stretch of the cycle path on Orrong road under the Leach Hwy, which had the largest amount of broken glass I've ever seen in one place! It covered the entire track for 15-20m and looked to be more than 1cm deep in places. It must have been spectacular when whatever it was fell off the vehicle! Fortunately there wasn't very much traffic in the vehicle lanes, so plenty of room for evasive action.

I'll head back at lunch time to take pictures if it hasn't been cleared up; as a relatively new arrival to WA, is there anyone (local autorities etc.) who I can/should report such things to? It will take a bit more than a dustpan and brush to clear it up!
sorted

Postby oxonabike » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Absolute Belter for the run this morning - 35kph moving average for the 16 km. Bit of a tail wind helped, and a parallel run with a freight train for some incentive. Scored a podium and a PB on two strava segments to underline the 'belter' status.

New cassette for the commuter arrived from Wiggle yesterday, so new chain and cassette for tomorrows run.
oxonabike

Postby WarbyD » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:41 pm

sorted wrote:A beautiful morning in Perth and a good run except for a stretch of the cycle path on Orrong road under the Leach Hwy, which had the largest amount of broken glass I've ever seen in one place! It covered the entire track for 15-20m and looked to be more than 1cm deep in places. It must have been spectacular when whatever it was fell off the vehicle! Fortunately there wasn't very much traffic in the vehicle lanes, so plenty of room for evasive action.

I'll head back at lunch time to take pictures if it hasn't been cleared up; as a relatively new arrival to WA, is there anyone (local autorities etc.) who I can/should report such things to? It will take a bit more than a dustpan and brush to clear it up!

Report it to the relevant council.. City of Canning there I think?
WarbyD

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:31 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:The northerly picked up yesterday afternoon, but I'll forgive it because it was a sunny and dry ride back. :mrgreen:

Turned into Steane St (parallel to Darebin Rd) near Ivanhoe this morning to be confronted with a sea of blue and red flashing lights.
Another car had been torched and just extinguished, by the looks of things - fire brigade and cops in attendance. I must have encountered at least 3 burnt out cars and 2 burnt out motorcycles along my route in the mornings over the last 12 months.... :shock:

be careful, in QLD you'd be "interviewed" over that correlation

Suspicious cyclist spotted riding away from all of the crime scenes? :mrgreen:

All cyclists are suspicious..nothing new there :wink:
CXCommuter

Postby wellington_street » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:01 pm

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:Speaking of doors, I got a cheque in the mail yesterday - for payment of my repairs caused by that dooring incident in March. I sent the letter requesting payment last week (and I also asked that he show more empathy for vulnerable road users in the future than he showed me). Got the cheque and a 'We consider this matter finalized." note today. So guess there will never be a proper apology from him apart from the apology-that-wasn't he made through Channel 7 the day after the incident. Oh well. Life moves on.

we should rename the dumb pedestrians thread after him

Yes!
wellington_street

Postby Hamster » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:57 pm

To the congenital idiot in the blue tray-back ute who tried to kill me on the Sandgate round-a-bout please be aware that just because your father married his sister it is a really bad idea so please don’t repeat his mistake.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.
Hamster

Postby DavidS » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:14 am

Just replaced my chain and cassette (got almost 9k out of the original ones so pretty happy with that) and am now wondering whether I got the right one. I like riding on the big chain wheel (50 on my bike and the other one is 34 I think) but my take off gear used the be the third largest gear on the cassette, now the same gear is the largest on the cassette. New cassette is much closer spacing between gears which I like. Bit worried about how much I'm cross chaining. Speed has marginally increased but I suppose I'll see how I go and maybe buy something in between for the next cassette. If the cross chaining is not an issue then this is fine as I don't need a shorter gear on the big chain wheel. Decisions, decisions!

Apart from morons stopping to drop people off and leaving the rear of their cars over the bike lane this has been a pleasant week to ride in. Not too cold, nice northerlies in the arvo for once. Only 4 days both this week and last week so losing a few KMs on my target for the year. Still yet to catch the target after having 4 weeks off in Feb.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:25 am

Cold. And slow (legs still feeling tired). Did I mention Cold???
WarbyD

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:49 am

Nice rides yesterday evening and this morning. Before the ride to work this morning I went for a run on the Main Yarra Trail. Not a lot of people on the Kew Boulevard cycling what with the wet roads from the early morning rain this morning and it was quite dark with two dog walkers walking together in full black clothing that were very hard to see. I don't go jogging with lights but I do run with light coloured clothes and my runners are glow in the dark too so at least I'm a little visible, but was really hard to see these two people and their dogs when they were hugging the fence and bushes and walking on the wrong side of the path.

I got a stitch probably in my diaphragm near where my heart is. It was too painful so I had stop running and walk it out until the pain receded. Normally I can run through a stitch but that is the second time in a row I've been running and got a heart stitch around the same place in my run that I can't run through due to the pain. Very annoying.

I don't get stitches when cycling. :cry:

Oh, and someone has put a speed counter on the MYT at the Collingwood Children's Farm - near the main entry. Not sure what for unless they're checking cyclists' speeds.
Summernight

Postby wellington_street » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:01 am

Summernight wrote:Oh, and someone has put a speed counter on the MYT at the Collingwood Children's Farm - near the main entry. Not sure what for unless they're checking cyclists' speeds.

Is it just the two black tubes across the path? If so, it's just a traffic counter (these also pick up speed)
wellington_street

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:02 am

damp, dark and cloudy commute. blue skies now
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:09 am

wellington_street wrote:
Summernight wrote:Oh, and someone has put a speed counter on the MYT at the Collingwood Children's Farm - near the main entry. Not sure what for unless they're checking cyclists' speeds.

Is it just the two black tubes across the path? If so, it's just a traffic counter (these also pick up speed)

Yup. If they just wanted to count then it'd be only one tube across the path. Since there are two tubes a specific distance apart they are doing speed as well. :D
Summernight

Postby nezumi » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:02 pm

They say it comes in threes.

This morning I left home, rode up Burgundy St and onto Studley... before realising that I hadn't put any jocks into my bag when I packed last night. Not fancying the prospect of working commando, I went back home.

Second attempt, had a really cool bus driver (see the considerate motorists thread!), which was then negated by a car close shaving me. As I approached the bridge over Merri Ck where the bike lane ends I indicated right, head checked and merged out, taking the centre of the lane. Next thing I know I am passed with centimetres to spare. I watch the car go off and hope that the lights will stop him - no luck.

As I pass over Hoddle/Punt I see that he is held up ahead, so I catch up and have some words - he is rather less than apologetic.

As a result of having the conversation I miss my turn off into Wellington St and take Smith St instead. Just my luck, as I attempt to pass a slower rider the wet tram tracks grabs my wheel and down I go. Bark off the knee and some nice bruising, but no major damage.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:11 pm

nezumi wrote:As a result of having the conversation I miss my turn off into Wellington St and take Smith St instead. Just my luck, as I attempt to pass a slower rider the wet tram tracks grabs my wheel and down I go. Bark off the knee and some nice bruising, but no major damage.

ouch. hope you pull up ok tomorrow nezumi
jasonc

Postby nezumi » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:23 pm

jasonc wrote:
nezumi wrote:As a result of having the conversation I miss my turn off into Wellington St and take Smith St instead. Just my luck, as I attempt to pass a slower rider the wet tram tracks grabs my wheel and down I go. Bark off the knee and some nice bruising, but no major damage.

ouch. hope you pull up ok tomorrow nezumi

Thanks Jason - my right knee has copped some abuse over time (baseball - sliding, plus every damn crash I have), so I have some near-permanent scar tissue there - makes it easier to deal with for dressings :)

The bike is currently having a cockpit re-alignment, rotating the bars backwards (hoods were too low apparently) and putting the hoods at the same height. Also a general going over and check-up - tighten and torque.

I'm glad I put the rack on last weekend, as it probably saved my rear derailleur (for the second time).
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Summernight wrote:
wellington_street wrote:

Yup. If they just wanted to count then it'd be only one tube across the path. Since there are two tubes a specific distance apart they are doing speed as well. :D

Two tubes for direction.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby oxonabike » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:13 pm

DavidS wrote:Just replaced my chain and cassette (got almost 9k out of the original ones so pretty happy with that)

Must be that time of year. Just did the same change out at just shy of 10k for the cassette, and four and a half for that chain. However, due to predominantly wet conditions I was a bit precious about testing the new install on todays commute, so the semi retired bike did the run.

It might be heavy and a bit slower, but its comfy and great if you're not in a hurry, which being Friday, I was not.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk
oxonabike

Postby rangersac » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:49 pm

Oxford wrote:Perfect as always.

Oxford! Are you back on the bike after your travails? Great to hear if so.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby TailWind » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:11 pm

Very wet for my 4am departure on Friday morning. Took the shorter, all on-road route into the Melbourne CBD. The rain eased off a little closer to work and finally stopped completely. Spent a bit of timing arranging the kit so it would be dry for the afternoon commute.
Quite pleased that everything was pretty much dry by the time I was ready to leave, dropped in at my brother's place on the way back for a few beers, then off home.
Happy Weekend! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby Summernight » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:06 pm

Friday night I had a lady driver pull out from a parking bay (which is on the left of the bicycle lane with buffer zone) in Elizabeth St, Richmond (corner Elizabeth and Lennox to be precise) without looking or checking the bike lane. She was inching and focused on pulling into the car lane, but the car traffic wasn't going anywhere due to the red light. Just as I'm about to roll past she goes to pull out. Two loud 'Oi's from me and a very startled driver stopped dead looking like a stunned mullet (not the hairdo, the fish :P ). I hope she looks next time as it is a busy cycling route. :)

Got ready to leave this morning, opened the door, saw the rain, looked longingly at the sky to ask it to stop raining, but it didn't, so back I went to put on the wet weather gear. Boo.

Also this morning, on Albert St, in the two block section with no bike lane, the cyclist in front of me almost got doored by a parked car because he was hugging (and I mean HUGGING) the parked cars. After the near dooring and his evasive swerve he went back to hugging the parked cars and all I could do was shake my head. I caught up to him at the next light and said "you almost got hit back there!", to which he pulled out his headphones, I repeated myself because he hadn't heard me through his headphones, and he then agreed with me... I tried to mention that to minimise the possibility of dooring it was best to ride in the middle of the left lane, but I think the tip on a safer riding style was lost on him. :roll:
Summernight

Postby TailWind » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:06 pm

Poor night's sleep...my usual bout of insomnia transitioning from the weekend back into the work week.
Cool this morning, but dry, beat the rain that Summer had the pleasure of riding in. Felt invigorated after the first 10 minutes on the bike, so all good for a Monday morning.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby WarbyD » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:13 pm

on the bus this morning as I had an after work engagement Friday night so left the bike and gear at the office, then never got a chance to get back in over the weekend to pick them up. Riding home at least though :)
WarbyD

Postby Summernight » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:35 pm

TailWind wrote:Cool this morning, but dry, beat the rain that Summer had the pleasure of riding in. Felt invigorated after the first 10 minutes on the bike, so all good for a Monday morning.

That was one of the reasons I was so surprised when I opened the door to head out for the ride as I'd already done my early morning run in puddle and rain free weather with not a hint of rain in sight. Ah Melbourne, always a delight. :)
Summernight

Postby Mububban » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Cold again in Perth, ended up as part of a random 6 bike convoy at one stage on the cycle paths, everyone heading in to work at the same time :) My old e-boosted MTB is slow on the flats and downhill but I can maintain 30kph uphill so it was like we were attached by a big rubber band - stretch out, reel back in, stretch out, reel back in :) Until we hit a bigger downhill and the road bikes just flew away from me. Definitely wishing I'd upgraded to a flat bar roadie for commuting now :D
Mububban

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting