How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby cyclebee » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:18 am

nezumi wrote:Windy.

VERY windy. I had my wheel blow sideways at one point - nearly turned me into traffic. O.o

Blustery is the word.
cyclebee

by BNA » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:29 am

BNA

Postby TailWind » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:29 am

jasonc wrote:TW - I heard the yarra river level is running high at the moment. maybe you should get the train home

Heard that too, been giving the MYT along the river a miss lately.
For yesterday's return trip, I rode out of the basement straight into some light rain, which then stopped completely, and the sun started peeking through the clouds. Had to stop and take off my jacket (due to overheating) at the same spot on the Darebin Creek Trail as the day before - generally the ride was a "rinse & repeat" of the previous day's commute.
The M80 underpass looked like it was going to flood again, so avoided that this morning.
Still pretty windy on the way into the CBD this, but miraculously, I missed the rain... :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby westab » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:59 pm

Good ride in this morning the wind had gone from last night (good in one way but it would have been nice to have that tail wind). Wasn't cold at all so the extra layers were not required.

Hope the wind and the cold stays away tonight as no.3 kid and I will be at soccer training; I will most likely need the extra layers then.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:21 pm

westab wrote:Good ride in this morning the wind had gone from last night (good in one way but it would have been nice to have that tail wind). Wasn't cold at all so the extra layers were not required.

Hope the wind and the cold stays away tonight as no.3 kid and I will be at soccer training; I will most likely need the extra layers then.

Windy. I have a tailwind in the mornings at the moment but naturally the wind picks up in the afternoon and is a headwind......
n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Releng » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:04 pm

I have had a strange week. I took a long weekend on Monday and did not commute, went for a quick hill climb on Monday afternoon to check that the bike was ok after a few mods over the weekend. Then I took off on Tuesday morning for my normal commute at 5am as normal, got about 5Ks into the 25K trip and realised that I did not have my helmet on. I turned around and headed home and then had to commute by motorbike to make it to work on time. Then today a normal commute in but I stopped to visit on the way home and when I got going again my front light would not work. I stopped at a bike shop in town on the way through and picked up another one.
Releng

Postby DavidS » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:46 pm

Rode to and from work along the beach path today. After yesterday's weather it was a mess. Big sections covered with sand and a fair bit of debris. What really got me though was the rubbish. This must have come out of the ocean. A hell of a lot of water bottles. Why do people buy bottled water? Especially in Melbourne it is such a waste, our water is excellent. The mess left behind by all those water bottles is environmental vandalism.

Hopefully they can clean the paths soon.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby TailWind » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:38 am

DavidS wrote:Rode to and from work along the beach path today. After yesterday's weather it was a mess. Big sections covered with sand and a fair bit of debris. What really got me though was the rubbish. This must have come out of the ocean. A hell of a lot of water bottles. Why do people buy bottled water? Especially in Melbourne it is such a waste, our water is excellent. The mess left behind by all those water bottles is environmental vandalism.

Hopefully they can clean the paths soon.

DS

No sand or (unsual) rubbish for my route along the DCT, but lots of foliage, branches and an entire tree across the path near Northland.
Riding in the dark of the early mornings requires particular concentration as not to trip over any of the debris.
Still very windy this morning!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:39 am

cold.
jasonc

Postby WarbyD » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:52 am

Not as cold as I expected it to be... Rugged up with bibs, thermal long johns, thermal short sleeve t-shirt, long sleeve MTB jersey, thin windbreaker vest and thick-ish gloves.. Within about 10min had rolled my sleeves up and was toasty the whole way. Could have easily done without the thermals...

Otherwise, pleasant enough albeit slow.. On the 29er, which I now have flat pedals on because I've been too lazy to put the SPD pedals back on after having to pinch them for hte road bike when I was without SPD-SL shoes for a few days. Quite quickly realised that my bunnyhop "technique" is heavily reliant on pulling up with my legs, when I proceeded to jump off the pedals on the way down a kerb - twice. haha.. Thankfully, just a bit of stupidity and didn't come off or anything, but made me think I should go back to basics there..
WarbyD

Postby Lizzy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:34 am

Last couple of evenings have been just sublime. Glassy river with baby dolphins on Tuesday, purple sunset yesterday. No wind to speak of .. only drawback of that is the miasma surrounding Lake Stank near the Mount Hospital just sort of hangs there and doesn't disperse - I actually gagged on it last night, bor. Recent addition of a Wilderness Wear fleece-lined windproof vest to the cold weather ensemble gets 5 stars - loving it!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby sorted » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:20 pm

Finally dug out my winter gloves yesterday evening. Was looking forward to toasty fingers this morning, only to find that it was 15°C and I didn't need them!
sorted

Postby Drizt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:44 pm

My commute turned out rubbish. Front flat on band new 4000sII tyres. Something sharp (assuming glass) slashed the showtime out of them.

Also forgot my change of work clothes so had to go back home. Very disappointing commute

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Drizt

Postby Summernight » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Back on the bike yesterday after two days of holiday (I won free plane flights to Launceston in a FB giveaway - never pass up a free plane flight :P ).

As a consequence I missed all the carnage of Melbourne's Tuesday (although got some of the torrential rain in Launceston on the Monday while driving the small, 2WD hire car on log-truck, gravel, pot-holed roads with no phone reception and thought we were going to fall off the side of the mountain and die... or at least lose our hire car excess which was a whopping $3,300).

Wednesday morning's ride to work had a MGIF lady driver in a carpy old car who just couldn't wait and had to cut in front of me on Elizabeth Street between Bourke and Little Bourke. She missed the green light too so cut it fine ducking back in front of me before the tram superstop bollard.

Yesterday evening I had two MGIF left hookers - one on Collins at Russell who couldn't wait 2 seconds to get to the red traffic light and forced me to take evasive action to the left as I got cut off. He achieved nothing. The second was on Albert St where a lady failed to look across the parked cars into the bike lane and cut two lanes to turn left over me at the next intersection. As I was aware of this possibility I had taken evasive action but she got a shouting at. She had her window down so hopefully she heard some of that.
I had already used my shouting voice about 15 seconds beforehand at a pedestrian who stepped onto the Albert St bike path from the road without looking and did so 20 metres in front of me. He apologised as he scurried off the road, safe for another day because I knew he'd do it at the time.

As a pleasant change to Wednesday, this morning was a lovely ride. :D
Summernight

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:07 pm

It was beautiful weather this morning but my ride was ruined by idiots painting race hate and swastika graffiti on the Graham Farmer Freeway PSP. I found it very upsetting to read and have reported it to Main Roads.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Drizt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Racists, mental pigmy's
Drizt

Postby Lizzy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:22 pm

Just, ugh :(
Lizzy

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:40 am

when i got up, apparent temp was 1.3, my garmin (edge 500, which reads high) said 5.8. experienced temperature inversion going up and down coot-tha - was ~12 degrees up the top (have a graph if interested)

cold!
jasonc

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:21 am

Was a bit of a space cadet this morning - nothing serious, just a couple of times found myself doing stupid things that are a bit riskier than I normally would ride. Nothing came of it, but I need to lift my game to keep it that way.
find_bruce

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:03 am

No ride home last night - went to the theatre so got a lift.

The ride in this morning was windy. Apart from one car cutting too close to me on an overtake at the intersection of Albert/Hoddle everyone else was quite pleasant. :)

I must have bumped the chain off the chainwheel when putting the bike in the car last night because just as I was about to hop on this morning I noticed it was off and slack. Lucky I hadn't left home so could quickly duck in, grab some disposable gloves and pull the chain back on the chainwheel.
Summernight

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:56 am

Wife was near town yesterday afternoon so got a lift home instead of riding. This morning's commute was a little bit chilly, but entirely pleasant for the most part. Still on the 29er - noticed on Wednesday that the rubber of the rear tyre on my roadie appeared to be delaminating on the sidewall (they are, I believe, the original tyres the bike was sold with... 11 years ago.. Still amazed at my luck in finding a bike so cheap which appeared to have been purchased and then sat in storage entirely unused since then) - went to the little LBS next to my office and was somewhat blown away by the price of tyres ($85ea for a schwalbe durano plus?!) so have jumped online and ordered a pair of Continental GP 4000 S2 to replace them (at $120 delivered for the pair, with express post!) and am on the 29er until they arrive.

Interestingly, put the light on my bag onto steady beam instead of the usual flashing that I use (atm only using the one rear light - grabbing another one for that bike today) and found that cars gave me much less space. Lyon Rd, which runs down the guts of Aubin Grove and is where I start & finish my journey each day is a road where I consistently have drivers give me plenty of room, with the occasional driver coming too close (none that I've ever attributed to malice though) - this morning was the opposite experience, with MOST drivers coming too close and only maybe 1 in 5 giving me what I would consider sufficient room. Again, none seemed to have any malice .. I'm wondering if perhaps the light had shifted on my backpack or something making it harder for them to see me, or perhaps the steady beam just didn't get their attention quite so well? At any rate, nobody got "oh snap!" close, but it was an interesting contrast to the usual experience...
Last edited by WarbyD on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
WarbyD

Postby TailWind » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:17 am

Windy yesterday afternoon, windy this morning.
I'll be glad to see the back of this week!

Happy Friday! :D
TailWind

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Drizt wrote:Racists, mental pigmy's

Lizzy wrote:Just, ugh :(

for sure! Painted out by the time I rode home. Vary fast work by the authorities and much appreciated.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:05 pm

I was tired this morning and not really feeling it, but got there nonetheless. Uneventful ride in unremarkable weather until I got to the detour through Mill Pt Rd - then copped an aggressive close shave from a bunch of d-bags in a white Landcruiser. I know I'm not supposed to get angry but "the bird" got out of her cage before I could take a deep breath. Apologies to the oncoming riders at the time who might not have seen it, and thought I was flipping them off ...

That jacked my flow a bit and I decided to treat myself to rail assistance for the last 10km. The approach to the station has a curious mental effect though, if I approach it feeling carpy, I always seem to suddenly feel better and keep going, thus I did today.

Also saw a fellow at City West with shiny gold bar tape - hats orf sir, tres bling! Now I totally want some.
Lizzy

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:19 pm

Lizzy wrote:Also saw a fellow at City West with shiny gold bar tape - hats orf sir, tres bling! Now I totally want some.

Cinelli used to sell a bar tape called 'Treasure' which came in Gold or Silver. It used to be available from Wiggle but not anymore it seems.
For an idea of what it looked like, see here: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cinelli-Treasure-Tape_43140.htm

Deda does an 'Olympic Gold' bar tape although not sure how gold it actually is: http://www.wiggle.com.au/deda-bar-tape/

The Cinelli Treasure Bar Tape was perforated and really gold, maybe that is the bling he is using?

Also during my searching for pictures of the Cinelli Treasure I saw another brand called F.U.B.A.R that does metallic coloured bar tape. Never seen it though. http://jonesbicycles.com/product/f.u.b. ... 6z-VLEvhyI
Summernight

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Haha, thankyou, enabler!! :) It must have been the Cinelli or FUBAR stuff - it looked completely smooth and shiny.
Lizzy

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting