How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Get it Lizzy! Given how often you describe the exact same things I see on my commute, I am fairly certain I cross paths with you on a daily basis haha - at least with shiny gold bar tape I could go "AHA! Thats her! Hi Lizzy!"
WarbyD

by BNA » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:45 pm

BNA

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Lizzy wrote:Haha, thankyou, enabler!! :) It must have been the Cinelli or FUBAR stuff - it looked completely smooth and shiny.

I like bling. :P Lucky for my bike gold and silver don't match the other stuff. But rainbow does... :P
Summernight

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:16 am

went to pump up the tube on the commuter this morning and snapped the valve :shock:

changed the tube and was on my way
jasonc

Postby WarbyD » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:04 am

Hmmm.. pretty sure I'm getting a cold.. slower than usual (even for the 29er) commute this morning thanks to complete and utter lack of energy and/or motivation...

On the plus side though - stopped in at Kathmandu on Friday, where they're having one of their seemingly-every-second-week sales and picked up some more thermals ($49.98 down to $17.98), a new rear light ($20) and a bandana thing with velcro closures and nice fleecy material that I can wear over my face to finally stop my nose from feeling like it's going to fall off! yay! haha.. Kathmandu, at their usual pricing, are IMO ridiculously overpriced, but when they have their sales they become quite reasonable once they start taking 50/60/70% off :)
WarbyD

Postby TailWind » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:38 am

Multi-hop commute back on Friday...just as well I stopped at my brother's place for some sustenance - that northerly was in my face for all of the way home.

Chilly 5C and drizzle for the start this morning, but the rain cleared further towards the CBD and I warmed up, so all good.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby AndreB1972 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:41 am

jasonc wrote:went to pump up the tube on the commuter this morning and snapped the valve :shock:

You shoulda caught PT and taken the bike to the LBS this weekend to fix.
AndreB1972

Postby Robinho » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:42 am

Joined the Perth SOR commuters for the 1st time this morning after moving from the far north (mindarie) to the deep south (Hammond park). Commute is now 28kms instead of 39kms which means I can do it both ways most days and will hopefully increase my mileage. Was a nice ride in, enjoying the continuous path and the quality improvement over the Mitchell fwy psp.
Robinho

Postby Summernight » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:54 am

Friday night - cross winds and a near right hook - the motorist saw me as he was halfway across the vehicle lane (this was on Elizabeth St, Richmond, with a dedicated bike lane with buffer zone). I think the reason he saw me was because I am wary of that intersection already, so looked behind me, saw there were no cars (and hence the possibility of a hook from either a right turner or the side street) and then I moved into the vehicle lane so I was where he expected to see a car. I may have shouted a short, 4 letter swear word beginning with 'F' followed by 'STOP' as I realised what he was about to do. Luckily he stopped and we all went on our merry ways.

This morning was cold - the legs weren't there and the muscles just weren't firing, even when climbing the stairs in the house. I was thinking I should have pulled out another buff to use as a neckwarmer when riding.

I'm looking forward to receiving my Fly6 as my Jumbo 808 rear camera doesn't seem to accept charge anymore. :(
Summernight

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:59 am

AndreB1972 wrote:
jasonc wrote:went to pump up the tube on the commuter this morning and snapped the valve :shock:

i have a day off tomorrow with my daughter. i'm sure that will make TW happy. you are flying away already
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:06 pm

jasonc wrote:
AndreB1972 wrote:

i have a day off tomorrow with my daughter. i'm sure that will make TW happy. you are flying away already

Honourable Excuses thread for you then....and I'll be gentle on you :wink:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:28 pm

TailWind wrote:Honourable Excuses thread for you then....and I'll be gentle on you :wink:

this will make TW even happier - I have thursday off for the same reason. and friday week.

3 days. I'll be slipping to P3 me thinks
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:58 pm

AndreB1972 wrote:

Don't be stupid. That's when you chuck the bike over your shoulder and then ride to work on the other bike :P
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:11 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Don't be stupid. That's when you chuck the bike over your shoulder and then ride to work on the other bike :P

i struggle to lift the flatbar. and i'm not going to tow it using my mate's bike
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:28 pm

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Don't be stupid. That's when you chuck the bike over your shoulder and then ride to work on the other bike :P

i struggle to lift the flatbar. and i'm not going to tow it using my mate's bike

Kids these days....
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Kids these days....

leave my grandmother out of this. how strong do you think she was to clip me over the ears
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:38 pm

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Kids these days....

leave my grandmother out of this. how strong do you think she was to clip me over the ears

Obviously she didn't hit you hard enough. Your father on the other hand..... He got commuting to work nailed!

:P
Lukeyboy

Postby AndreB1972 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:29 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
AndreB1972 wrote:

Don't be stupid. That's when you chuck the bike over your shoulder and then ride to work on the other bike :P

Do you get double mileage in the commuting challenge then?
AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
Obviously she didn't hit you hard enough. Your father on the other hand..... He got commuting to work nailed!

:P

Yeah, nice idea your dad had riding with an umbrella to stay dry
AndreB1972

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:52 pm

That's cousin Pete. Dads in the van getting pissed off about the traffic while cranking out Pink Floyd over the excellent speaker system in the car.
Lukeyboy

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:42 pm

Not a bad ride in this morning considering last night we had a few people over for dinner, 4 bottles of wine, a few whiskys and some muscat so not in the best form this morning.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby kb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:46 am

First 2 flats for the year yesterday. Glass shard in and sidewall tear (that one went bang) back. Both friendly spots for a patch / change.
kb

Postby rdp_au » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:26 am

Been off for a week with a cold or 'flu thing. Headaches and sore muscles all last week. Not sick enough to stay home, so I was dealing with cold, windy, railway stations and crowded trains :( . So, it was nice to feel up to the morning commute today. Even the cold air felt bracing and invigorating. With light, school holiday traffic, it really was a nice trip
rdp_au

Postby poohkies » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:33 am

lovely ridding to work doing my wifes commute (she doesn't post :P ) to cold to even try to do wheelies this morning i'm over it, nothing fun about riding in this weather, singlet long sleeve jersey jumper and trackie dacks :( o wells least i got on the bike, brought the wife a new commuter Kona Jake get it in a couple of weeks
poohkies

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:46 am

poohkies wrote: brought the wife a new commuter Kona Jake get it in a couple of weeks

ah she gets the drop bars
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:08 am

It looked like it was going to be a rain ride heading home yesterday, but after some initial drizzle it started drying out. Cool and gloomy, but actually quite a decent commute back.
Wet roads again this morning, no rain, no issues.
TailWind

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting