How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:42 am

98octane wrote:3. Near Burke Rd, unfortunately, a ring tailed possum scurried out of shrubs just in front of me. No time to brake or avoid. I ran over it at 40kph, both wheels. It died instantly. It checked it was dead before moving it off the path. Poor little guy.

Rest in peace, 98Octane Possum. Nothing much you can do in that situation.

Heavy traffic on the ride home last night. Probably the usual city traffic gridlock.

This morning the legs were really protesting and I just didn't feel it. Combination of the wind and the work week I think. I still enjoy the ride though. :)
I had to yell "Stop!" at a pedestrian who was crossing the tram stop on Macarthur (near Treasury) because she was walking between the cars and not looking. She stopped just before she would have stepped into my path but she clearly wasn't going to look or stop if I hadn't called out.

A couple of days ago in the morning a man ran in front of a tram crossing Elizabeth St on Bourke St. The light was just about to change to green so the tram driver had started the tram rolling when this man shot in front of the tram attempting to cross the road. The tram driver was quite upset going by the number of dings he gave the man. Although the old tram dings just don't have the annoyance factor... "ding ding ding" :roll:
Summernight

by BNA » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:48 am

BNA

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:48 am

98octane wrote: 1. Saw a brazen fox running between the MYT and Yarra near AAMI Park. First I've seen in 3 years of riding along the river.

you know what - i saw one crossing the Boullie last Sunday - broad daylight. same here, first time.. it was very casual, just hung around and watched me.

98octane wrote:2. MYT still closed at Punt Rd to Burnley. At least 5 noise barrier panels have been knocked onto the Yarra north bank between the M1 and the MYT immediately east of Chapel St. Could be damage to the MYT too. Might be closed until next week or later.

really? it was open last night. i tried to use the south side path, but that was flooded, so i gave up and crossed back to the north side and it was open!

also i ran over a rat once on the Moonee Ponds Ck path. i didn't stop to check its condition :)
jules21

Postby 98octane » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:55 am

jules21 wrote:
98octane wrote:2. MYT still closed at Punt Rd to Burnley. At least 5 noise barrier panels have been knocked onto the Yarra north bank between the M1 and the MYT immediately east of Chapel St. Could be damage to the MYT too. Might be closed until next week or later.

really? it was open last night. i tried to use the south side path, but that was flooded, so i gave up and crossed back to the north side and it was open!

also i ran over a rat once on the Moonee Ponds Ck path. i didn't stop to check its condition :)

It was closed around 9pm. Open again this morning, rubbish/broken panels all cleared away. Nice job Transurban/Parks Vic!
98octane

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:30 pm

98octane wrote:
jules21 wrote:

It was closed around 9pm. Open again this morning, rubbish/broken panels all cleared away. Nice job Transurban/Parks Vic!

I think they opened it from 3.30PM and then closed it again from 8.30PM until 6.30AM to do the removal:

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/media/2921/
Summernight

Postby TailWind » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:58 pm

Cool and windy (wrong direction, of course) for the ride yesterday afternoon.
Cold (5C), rainy and windy (headwind again!) this morning, so arrived in the CBD a little damp, but undaunted!

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:12 pm

current gusts in Brisbane are over 50km/h from the West

Guess which way I ride :(
jasonc

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:55 pm

jasonc wrote:current gusts in Brisbane are over 50km/h from the West

Guess which way I ride :(

Opposite way to me.... I was hoping to improve on yesterday's time but I kept getting red lights and when I did get a roll on I had to slow down for traffic.
cancan64

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:59 pm

gusts were down to 41km/h by the time i left. i found a wheel or two to sit on for a bit of the ride which made it less painful than it otherwise may have been. Ive adjusted saddle and given it a test. seems better

BTW cancan - that's called "Murphy's law"
jasonc

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Heart & mind weren't in it this morning, couldn't stop yawning and ditched onto the train after 20km (I arrange travel for my dept and was also fairly anxious to account for all my crew flying home from conferences in Europe this week. All fine it seems).
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby Whorl » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:21 pm

Ugh. Yes, heading west in Brisbane was not pleasant this afternoon! Cold, windy, no energy in my legs after all my time off... Added 5 minutes to my commute. But feeling good otherwise!
Whorl

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Cold breeze around, fortunately behind me for the trip home. It wasn't crazy gale force, and I've got a hint of a couch/cold so took is a bit easy and managed to get around 45 on the flat without a massive effort.

Trip home was via LBS for a price test. Looking for an MTB rotor and they price guessed at near 2x what CRC has them for. Thought I'd give them a shot and maybe prevent another unexplained bike related package at the front door, but not willing to spend that much extra.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby 98octane » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:37 pm

jasonc wrote:gusts were down to 41km/h by the time i left. i found a wheel or two to sit on for a bit of the ride which made it less painful than it otherwise may have been. Ive adjusted saddle and given it a test. seems better

BTW cancan - that's called "Murphy's law"

How do you know the wind speed? I'd love to know what it is when I'm riding.
Last edited by 98octane on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
98octane

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Bom site..daily observations have wind speed in 30 min intervals... It's a good guide
cancan64

Postby 98octane » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:24 pm

cancan64 wrote:Bom site..daily observations have wind speed in 30 min intervals... It's a good guide

Thanks. I know about BOM, but thought jasonc might have something more specific.
98octane

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:21 pm

98octane wrote:
cancan64 wrote:Bom site..daily observations have wind speed in 30 min intervals... It's a good guide

Thanks. I know about BOM, but thought jasonc might have something more specific.

nope. i use BOM. recorded as part of my stats for when i go back and say "why the hell was I so fast/slow that day"
jasonc

Postby malnar » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:05 am

Came off on Saturday. Was riding my old mountain bike, turning sharp right on a down slope onto the shared path with too much speed in wet muddy conditions. Front tyre slid & I fell onto my right ankle. Pretty swollen & difficult to walk. Riding is mostly ok so just had a gentle ride in this morning.
malnar

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:31 am

ouch malnar. hope you recover ok

i'm still hurting all over from my ride on saturday. still rode in
jasonc

Postby 98octane » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:48 am

Especially cold, fast ride in this morning.

Also saw uniformed Police cyclists on patrol on the MYT at Burnley.
98octane

Postby Summernight » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:25 am

Brrrrr.

Tomorrow is meant to be colder.

On my morning run this morning the usual commuting cyclist that exchanges greetings with me passed me as I was puffing up the hill towards Walmer St and I hiccuped just as he passed and said G'Day. I said hello back but I was thinking I must have sounded a bit weird "HIC! Hello!". And since it was uphill and I was dying I probably looked a bit drunk too. I start drinking early. :mrgreen:

Roadworks have been done just outside the Parliament car park on Macarthur St on the uphill part heading towards Albert St. Unfortunately whoever re-surfaced the road shoulder/bike lane decided to make it very poorly and so for a 20m stretch or so the bike lane is completely crap and bumpy. Just be careful there, folks. I remember riding over it on Thursday night going "Wow, didn't realise I needed a mountain bike to ride on the road" and then forgot about it until Friday night when I went "Oh, yeah, forgot about this mountain bike part." :?
Summernight

Postby TailWind » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Summernight wrote:Brrrrr.
Roadworks have been done just outside the Parliament car park on Macarthur St on the uphill part heading towards Albert St. Unfortunately whoever re-surfaced the road shoulder/bike lane decided to make it very poorly and so for a 20m stretch or so the bike lane is completely crap and bumpy. Just be careful there, folks. I remember riding over it on Thursday night going "Wow, didn't realise I needed a mountain bike to ride on the road" and then forgot about it until Friday night when I went "Oh, yeah, forgot about this mountain bike part." :?

Brrr indeed for my start this morning...(4C), but not much wind, thank $deity.

And that McArthur stretch is an abomination, where the heck did the council find the crew that patched up that stretch? Clearly they belong to some sort of extreme 4x4 club... :(
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Riding in when I noticed some muppet had installed a "no bicycles sign" on part of my route. Grrr - letters sent to (1) the construction company I suspect had installed them (2) the local "council" (Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority) & (3) Roads & Maritime Services asking for a copy of the written authority to install the sign.

Sadly until I get the sign removed, I have to take a different route.

In good news, I noticed the other day that 4 months later, Kennards had removed the fake giveway sign from outside their property
find_bruce

Postby jules21 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:49 pm

find_bruce wrote:Riding in when I noticed some muppet had installed a "no bicycles sign" on part of my route. Grrr - letters sent to (1) the construction company I suspect had installed them (2) the local "council" (Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority) & (3) Roads & Maritime Services asking for a copy of the written authority to install the sign.

Sadly until I get the sign removed, I have to take a different route.

the road rules have a compendium of approved signs. if it's not one of them, it's not under the road rules.
jules21

Postby DavidS » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 pm

Brr indeed. Still not quite cold enough for the full jacket. Rode in today in shorts, T shirt and the vest part of my jacket. Tomorrow I think the full jacket will finally get a run along with the fingered gloves.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:47 pm

jules21 wrote:the road rules have a compendium of approved signs. if it's not one of them, it's not under the road rules.

It's an approved sign - the question is whether it is authorised to be erected. You or I couldn't put up a traffic sign - in NSW it is an offence to put up a road sign without authority or a sign that might be mistaken for a road sign.

After various incidents where Police have fined people based on unauthorised signs, such as an unauthorised speed limit sign in Victoria and a unauthorised no right turn sign in Sydney, the law in NSW is that if you are charged with an offence, the sign is "conclusively presumed to have been lawfully installed or displayed"
find_bruce

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:16 am

Please forgive my rudeness of posting in this thread as I am not writing about a commute I have done..but..I am writing because this morning was the wifes first ever commute to work via bicycle.

Total of 30 k's and along a major highway, the New England. She achieved an avg of 28 k's I have been informed.

I was quite excited for her and was stupidly giving her tips on what to do and not do lol

She had perfect weather, bugger all wind, so it was ideal but only time will tell if she is hardcore enough to do it in the rain :)

ps. I am gearing myself up to complete that last abortive commute of mine. I have to complete it for my own inner head noise
gretaboy

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting