How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby 98octane » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:53 pm

kb wrote:
98octane wrote:
kb wrote:[quote="Summernight"]
Last night I was the weird lady on the roadie with a backpack and a massive package hanging out the side/on top of my legs. It was probably the most unwieldy package I've carried home. When my leg went on the upstroke the package would hit my arm.

Haha. Reminds me of bringing home my foam roller strapped to me by heart rate monitor strap.

My best was carrying home a 2.4m long kayak paddle in two parts strapped to my backpack. Another day I carried home a large model cannon. :grin:

Was the traffic around you more cautious?

I had the most space given with helium balloons tied to the rear rack.[/quote]

Lol, no, it was in a box.
98octane

by BNA » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:57 pm

BNA

Postby 98octane » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Had to drive to work today. 14km. Driving plus parking took longer than my usual riding time, cost lots more, was less scenic and I got no exercise. So, why does anyone drive to work? :?:
98octane

Postby herzog » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:02 pm

Friday legs.

Having a well earned beer and pizza, and a 2 day break from the bike!
herzog

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:07 pm

WarbyD wrote:Entirely pleasant ride in this morning.. reasonable pace the whole way (no idea what speed or anything though - daughter bit the top of my phone and cracked the screen a couple of weeks ago, meaning the area I need to be able to use to start a ride in either strava or garmin fit doesn't work.. need to get that fixed one of these days), and finally got to say a proper "g'day!" and introduce myself to our local celebrity - ColinOldnCranky.

Would it be bad form to tell everyone that after you passed me, I caught you. Being caught bya unicyclist! :oops: Hang your head in shame.

But I can't be that dishonest. The tediously long-cycled red lights on Eslanade and Barrack may have a lot to do with it. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle
@Nov27 6,669km of 6,600. Rem -69 @-2.0/day. Time to review the target methinks.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby TraceyG » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Finally managed to get a commute in after weeks of foggy mornings on my normal commute days, although I had to be a little creative to do it. Woke up to another foggy morning today so I packed my kit in the backpack, grabbed my bike and we jumped on the drive - and I rode home in glorious conditions. Think this might be the way to deal with foggy mornings until the warmer days arrive. And I don't have to worry about showering once I get to work.....
TraceyG

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:19 pm

Trip home was wet. No rain, but plenty of water on the ground. Thought about putting the shoe covers on, but didn't. Should have.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Perth:

Heavy rain all morning comong and going. I must have put the pancho on a dozen times all up.

I was surprised that the protests in Murray St Mall seemed to be about as big today as it was last Saturday. Ten marks for not being deterred.

A goodly lot of the over-50's riders that set out from Deep Water Point were also not deterred.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle
@Nov27 6,669km of 6,600. Rem -69 @-2.0/day. Time to review the target methinks.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby oxonabike » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:04 am

Bit different.... had a cheer squad shouting encouragement this morning. Epically bearded chap (recumbent rider?) in an old troopie running on a section of the Cairns Esplanade parallel to the cycleway yelling out my speed (that I could see on the Garmin anyway) and commenting that I was doing pretty well etc. This sort of gives tired legs a bit of a boost after a 300 km charity ride during the weekend. He eventually pulled ahead and turned into a driveway that crosses the cycleway, stopping short to ensure my safe passage. Sir was a gentleman!
oxonabike

Postby Summernight » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 am

Spring has sprung! According to the weather anyway. Bye bye all that luscious snow I heard was dumped on the ski slopes.

Windy ride in this morning. I was a bit later than my usual late and there were lots of people riding and driving to work.

In the two block no-bike-lane section of Albert St, East Melbourne I thanked my lucky stars that I claim the lane and don't kowtow to the 'get in the gutter mentality' pushed on cyclists by some members of society. A motorist driving a black car changed lanes into my lane beside me but gave me enough room as he did so so it didn't really register as anything out of the ordinary for me. The same car then proceeds to close shave the cyclist 20 metres in front of me who was hugging the parked cars (in the door zone) and the motorist passed this poor cyclist with his mirror about 10 centimetres away from this guy's arm, even with the cyclist trying to move left slightly to get out of the way (with no room to move left as he hadn't left himself breathing room). The cyclist was suitably upset, didn't have much room to move left thanks to his door hugging riding style and gave the motorist the finger in anger (justifiable I'd say from my POV).

I watched the motorist line the cyclist up, see if he could overtake said cyclist without changing lanes and then do so with zero room for error. It was scary watching and clearly upsetting for the cyclist involved. Claim the lane people!

I tried to catch up with the cyclist to see if he was alright, but I'm terrible up hills and the traffic light changed to green just as I was reaching him to start chatting. Will see what the video footage picked up tonight if I remember.

Oh, and in the city on Collins St the two red light jumping cyclists in front of me almost got taken out by a red light running car (the light may still have been amber for the motorist). One kept doing the whole red light jumping thing and he was halfway across each intersection before the light had even changed. So I made it my personal mission to catch up to him after every light, just to prove to myself that you didn't need to jump the light to catch up to him. :)
Summernight

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 am

I do the same thing summernight. strava said i put out 380w for nearly 2 minutes "proving a point" for the 2nd time

i replaced the chain on the commuter last night. unfortunately it appears the cassette was gonski so it was skipping like a mofo this morning
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:31 pm

Good ride back Friday afternoon, despite an extended lunch :mrgreen: .
Today...no ride :( - sleepless night and no shut-eye by the time I was supposed to be up this morning - working from home day today....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:38 pm

TailWind wrote:Good ride back Friday afternoon, despite an extended lunch :mrgreen: .
Today...no ride :( - sleepless night and no shut-eye by the time I was supposed to be up this morning - working from home day today....

that's no good. maybe 3 weeks of working from home would help
jasonc

Postby Hamster » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:22 pm

July has been a good commuting month for me with fine weather, no strong winds and no bicycle breakdowns (fingers crossed). My previous best monthly total was 1,200 kms but for July I’m currently on 1,460 kms :D with several more days to go.

The mornings are still cold but at least it’s getting lighter earlier and almost light when I leave home. Still getting home when it’s pitch black though.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.
Hamster

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Managed to turn a 10 km each way commute into an 82 km round trip. Can't do it often, but it was nice to have the opportunity today
find_bruce

Postby rheicel » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:40 am

find_bruce wrote:Managed to turn a 10 km each way commute into an 82 km round trip. Can't do it often, but it was nice to have the opportunity today

That's great!
rheicel

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:40 am

rheicel wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Managed to turn a 10 km each way commute into an 82 km round trip. Can't do it often, but it was nice to have the opportunity today

That's great!

+1
extended commuting FTW
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:38 am

They've fixed the bumpy section of doom on Macarthur St outside the Parliament car park so last night wasn't the unpleasant bumpy experience like the past week and instead I had smoothy goodness. :D

This morning I had two numpties driving cars - one who right hooked me and the only reason we didn't connect was because I anticipated his dumbness and had slowed down. He then proceeded to put both hands up in the air in a 'it's not my problem' move as I pointed to my eyes saying 'look' and 'it's a bike lane'. Just because traffic was banked up in the vehicle lane doesn't mean you have carte blanche to stop using your brain and not look when turning right, Mister.

And then in Elizabeth St approaching Bourke St I had a black 'souped up' thing (I think it was a Holden) accelerate and burn past me when I moved over into the non-bike lane after the parked cars. He really, REALLY wanted to get through that amber traffic light, but at the last minute realised it would turn red before he crossed the line, so he stopped sharply. Then when the traffic light turned green he proceeded to rev the carp out of his car and spin the wheels trying to get in front of me. What a tool. :roll:

I also did my good samaritan deed of the day and helped a motorist when they asked for directions to William Street.

It was a beautiful day for a ride. Traffic was banked back a long way on Elizabeth St, Richmond and it was fun sailing past them all! (Minus the right hooker, of course). On your bikes, people!
Summernight

Postby TailWind » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:32 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:Good ride back Friday afternoon, despite an extended lunch :mrgreen: .

that's no good. maybe 3 weeks of working from home would help

Or a 3 week holiday...could really use one, but alas....responsibilities.... :(

Windy commute this morning, but a decent ride into the CBD with tailwind-assist. I'll pay the price this afternoon....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby Lizzy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:38 am

Mostly fab morning - perfect temperature, just a light dusting of rain, somehow my glasses didn't fog up at any point.

Did have a near miss with some goose on a BSO-x-leafblower - he was overtaking someone heading up towards Halo on Mount, I was coming the other way :roll: Ugh, I hate those things.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby westab » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:40 pm

Nice morning ride in to work - and last night an enjoyable ride home.
The weather is warming up and I for one am looking forward to putting away the cold weather cloths and breaking out the shorts (even if every one else keeps telling me I have ugly legs - sad but true) :roll:

The bell birds were in fine voice this morning, it did make me late for work as a cruised through at 15 km/h for the first 2km of my commute to listen - forget the stress medicines I think this is the best medicine for it and if that doesn't work I don't know what would. Got to love the parklands I have the privilege of riding through most mornings.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby TigerFilly » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:26 pm

I had such a nice ride home today. It had conveniently stopped raining and was beautifully crisp and cold. It's getting dark just slightly later now so half an hours worth was in soft twilight not darkness. Lovely after a day inside. And it started raining very gentle light rain in the last five minutes which was not even vaguely annoying just kind of pretty in the street lights.
TigerFilly

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:12 am

Lovely ride in this morning, even with the wind. A considerate delivery van was nice and not MGIF-y on Elizabeth St and was happy to sit behind me. A nice change to yesterday's hoon.
Summernight

Postby TailWind » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:29 am

Took the hilly route home yesterday - first time in 3 months or so. Bad move, given there was a very gusty northerly. Between the hills and the wind I appear to have strained something in my left knee, which flared up again during this morning's commute.
Will be a painful ride home :(
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:41 am

TailWind wrote:Took the hilly route home yesterday - first time in 3 months or so. Bad move, given there was a very gusty northerly. Between the hills and the wind I appear to have strained something in my left knee, which flared up again during this morning's commute.
Will be a painful ride home :(

that 3 weeks off is needed. take care of that knee.

I got yelled at by a cyclist this morning for overtaking across double white lines (cars are allowed to do it in QLD, so why not bikes)

crisp morning. awesome blue skies
jasonc

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:54 am

Summernight wrote:Lovely ride in this morning, even with the wind. A considerate delivery van was nice and not MGIF-y on Elizabeth St and was happy to sit behind me. A nice change to yesterday's hoon.

A great reminder of why we love to ride. For me most commutes are like that, but the occasional idiot has a way of capturing your attention
find_bruce

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting