How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

find_bruce

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:54 am

Just missed out on another 30 ton wingman today - he was just in front again. Slowed me down just a little but no cars felt they MGIF with a 30 ton concrete truck so I got a cruisy safe ride.

Another day another tool in a 4wd. Riding uphill from one red light to the next - I never bother to ride hard on this block as the lights are timed & I still have to wait. Impatient fool behind me doesn't understand this & starts with his horn.

This time I took a leaf from Summernight's playbook & adopted a zen like pose. He hits the horn a few more times before giving up - firstly because I was close enough to the car in front & then because there was a bendy bus blocking 2.5 lanes so I rode around it leaving captain angry pants to stew - sometimes karma is a bus.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:28 am

find_bruce wrote:Another day another tool in a 4wd. Riding uphill from one red light to the next - I never bother to ride hard on this block as the lights are timed & I still have to wait. Impatient fool behind me doesn't understand this & starts with his horn.

This time I took a leaf from Summernight's playbook & adopted a zen like pose. He hits the horn a few more times before giving up - firstly because I was close enough to the car in front & then because there was a bendy bus blocking 2.5 lanes so I rode around it leaving captain angry pants to stew - sometimes karma is a bus.
I'm imagining you with your hands and feet in the lotus prayer position as the bike seems to pedal and steer itself. I might honk you if I saw that too. :P

Bit underdressed on the way home last night. I've been getting the temperatures wrong for the last few days and been the opposite of what I should be wearing. This morning though I got it right with the long sleeved wind-reducing jacket. Bit chilly and a few spittles of rain, but otherwise fine. :D

My cycling shoe was making a funny noise and has been for a few days. I finally turn it over after getting to work this morning to have a look at the bottom... I've lost a cleat bolt so that cleat is running on two. Those two were also a bit loose so they have now been tightened. Luckily I keep the old cleat bolts when replacing cleats so have spares. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:52 am

Summernight wrote:Bit underdressed on the way home last night. I've been getting the temperatures wrong for the last few days and been the opposite of what I should be wearing.
are you suggesting when I come down I'll need my full winter kit? :shock:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:58 am

A little CCR one the way home yesterday. Spotted a bike ahead, and due to me being on a FS MTB with non-road pressure knobbly tyres, once I caught him could claim a point when I caught up and it was a flat bar roadie.

Later on got squeezed by a moron driver who doesn't know that you can't change lanes in the middle of exiting a roundabout.

This morning despite yesterday looking like summer was on it's way there was quite a cool wind, and a headwind at that. Failed to rise early enough yet again and only got an extra 10min added onto the commute, but it's better than nothing.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:03 am

Bikes everywhere on this morning's run in, and everyone seemed to be in a good mood. Pedestrians seemed to be staying off the bike paths too, possibly due to the sheer volume of two wheeled traffic.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:22 am

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:Bit underdressed on the way home last night. I've been getting the temperatures wrong for the last few days and been the opposite of what I should be wearing.
It's Melbourne. You should have snow gear and your mankini packed too. :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:27 am

Summernight wrote:
jasonc wrote:
It's Melbourne. You should have snow gear and your mankini packed too. :P
I would look like borat in a mankini. not a sight ANYONE wants to see

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:18 pm

Warning this thread contains mental images that some readers may find disturbing :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:23 pm

I find it disturbing that summer suggested it

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:37 pm

jasonc wrote:I find it disturbing that summer suggested it
What can I say? I'm an angel in disguise... :twisted:

Plus I wasn't the one who suggested BORAT in a mankini. That was all you. :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Summernight wrote:
jasonc wrote:I find it disturbing that summer suggested it
What can I say? I'm an angel in disguise... :twisted:

Plus I wasn't the one who suggested BORAT in a mankini. That was all you. :mrgreen:
trust me. that is what i would look like.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:06 pm

jasonc wrote:
I've not needed longs for a while, even in the Dandenongs and Donna Buang but sleeves or a base layer isn't a bad idea. OTOH, maybe go the longs in case your legs still haven't recovered ;-)

Minimums can still be 2 or 3° but warm up as the day starts (which admittedly, is a lot later for me than you...)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:38 pm

2 or 3 degrees is full winter gear for me - overshoes, leg warmers, arm warmers, gilet, full finger gloves

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:01 am

Wednesday afternoon's commute was a rinse and repeat of the previous afternoon - was drizzled and rained on all the way home. The M80 magpie eyed me out speculatively from his perch in the tree, but decided not to launch into the rain and mount an attack.
Worked from home yesterday, so no commutes.
Decent ride in this morning.

Happy Friday ! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Weather is fickle. Two mornings ago it was like a summer morning, even got the sweat going. Yesterday was sort of warm, but with a cool breeze, this morning was quite chilly in comparison. So it was back to long gloves and a base layer.
Enjoyed a detour into the bush again. Suitably cautious around the group of magpies, but no issues.

Friday is happy day.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Getting a ride off the wife a few nights ago was a bad move.....I've done it again last night, and even got a lift in with the son this morning :? Lucky they're sick at home so I have no choice tonite :lol:

I'm already looking forward to next week and a tan 8) :lol:

oh....almost forgot. The bus company has called me back twice this week, looking for more info so as to ID the driver that rolled me (multiple routes on that street so want to talk to correct one). Even asked if I had any video. At least they're appearing to care. The busses have been giving me wide berth since then, so maybe good.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Lovely ride in this morning. Chatted to a nice cyclist about my camera set-up in Collins Street (he said I had all angles covered with my set-up!). He also did a hook turn at Elizabeth like me so we chatted for longer. It's good being on a bike. :)

vortex1018

Postby vortex1018 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Nearly got my ear ripped off

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Nice ride yesterday, but TW was right, "magpie alley" is kicking in :shock: :lol: Gives people going the other way plenty of amusement watching me tho :D

Got a pro-forma e-mail from the bus company too. Expressing their undying love for me and my opinion and their never ending quest for perfection. Not much else though :lol:

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:00 am

Flew in this morning, thanks to a lack of trafffic with school holidays.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:36 am

Had a Melbourne style commute this morning- Started and finished in beautiful sunshine/blue skies. The bit in between was gusty headwinds, rain, sleet and hail, thankfully dressed suitably for the accompanying coldness.

And almost forgot the triple (yes triple) rainbow in full glory just before the rain hit.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:57 am

CXCommuter wrote:And almost forgot the triple (yes triple) rainbow in full glory just before the rain hit.
wow - i've seen a double, never a triple. please tell me you stopped a took a pic

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:15 am

Lovely morning!

A van turned over the tramways rumble strips in Collins Street right in front of a police car (like, as in the police car had to stop to let the van complete the u-turn) and then blocked the road trying to parallel park. Given that it is a road rule violation to do a u-turn there and do it over a tramway, I was surprised (but I really shouldn't be surprised) that the police did absolutely nothing about enforcing and preventing one of the leading causes of crashes between cars and trams in Collins Street.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:32 am

Smashing morning in sunny Hobart. The legs were feeling the love that the sun brings as well, 1kph above my usual average getting into work. Will see how quickly I can fly home tonight.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:57 am

jasonc wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:And almost forgot the triple (yes triple) rainbow in full glory just before the rain hit.
wow - i've seen a double, never a triple. please tell me you stopped a took a pic
Only a mental snapshot- phone was dead unfortunately- the triple was due to the rainfronts being in an arc so the sun was hitting the rain/hail at the right angles in front of me for a triple.