How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby koshari » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:33 pm

Not to bad today to get back on my bike after a 2 month absence due to holidays and work commitments. 5 mins slower on my 23km loop than last time. Magpies are out and slight breeze the appeared to change dir a little. I Was blowing a little at times. Will be better for the run.

Mapmyride was buggy so had to enter the rid3 manually losing all my splits. :-x
koshari

by BNA » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:04 am

BNA

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:04 am

It's been quite a week, transitioning to a new client up the road and am supporting the current one as well. This has resulted in later departures (5pm :( ) and a commensurate increase in traffic mayhem.
Anyway, yesterday I probably had the worst of the trail bike hoon/bogan encounter on the Darebin Creek Trail near Northland to date. Ended up in the middle of a bunch of 6 or 7 teenaged ferals on various types of trail bikes, and was actively crowded by them to the point where I thought I'd have to take defensive physical action.
Oncoming cyclists were also menaced and started yelling at them to bugger off. They dropped off eventually, and I eventually calmed down after a few minutes. Good thing I don't do martial arts - I would have gone Jackie Chan on them. I'll post the video if I have time.
There was more pedestrian mayhem on the shared paths, and I eventually broke my bell's striker with all the dinging. And the M80 maggie is getting more aggro - full body contact yesterday afternoon.
Oh well, it's the end of the week and hopefully time to relax.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:07 am

TailWind wrote:Oh well, it's the end of the week and hopefully time to relax.

And you're in P2 on the challenge!
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:15 am

jasonc wrote:

Wow, just by a whisker :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:24 am

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:

i only have 5 commutes left before 3 weeks off. Andre better get going
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:34 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:And you're in P2 on the challenge!

i only have 5 commutes left before 3 weeks off. Andre better get going

That's right, you'll be in sunny Melbs soon :).
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:36 am

TailWind wrote:That's right, you'll be in sunny Melbs soon :).

yes. sunny melbourne. along with wind, rain, hail and sleet
jasonc

Postby TigerFilly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:10 pm

I had an unsuccessful attempt at a new route this afternoon.
My usual route is only two thirds as long as my old one was before we moved house, but I'm not enjoying it nearly as much. The old route was mostly lovely bike path, the new one is mostly road. The roads aren't too hairy, and do mostly have bike lanes, but it's not the relaxing trip home my old route was.
So I thought I'd try Google maps' suggestion of a slightly longer route through the parklands and the show ground.
My lovely husband had expressed his concern about deserted paths through the parklands and I had said nonsense, peak hour, there'll be plenty of people...
So I cycled the first little bit along a lovely bit of bike path beside the train line, a green hill means all buildings are out of sight and not a soul to be seen.

I came out at a main road, crossed it, and headed in the direction instructed by Google, and discovered the next bit required riding through a cemetery, still not a pedestrian or cyclist to be seen.
At that point I turned around and rode along to rejoin my usual route!
TigerFilly

Postby Scott_C » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:11 pm

Had a rare tailwind for my commute home and set 5 PR's including a top 10 on a small hill while riding my 11kg flatbar commuter with a full change of clothes in my backpack. Great way to end the week heading into a long weekend.
Scott_C

Postby fat and old » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:12 pm

TailWind wrote:Anyway, yesterday I probably had the worst of the trail bike hoon/bogan encounter on the Darebin Creek Trail near Northland to date. Ended up in the middle of a bunch of 6 or 7 teenaged ferals on various types of trail bikes, and was actively crowded by them to the point where I thought I'd have to take defensive physical action.
Oncoming cyclists were also menaced and started yelling at them to bugger off. They dropped off eventually, and I eventually calmed down after a few minutes. Good thing I don't do martial arts - I would have gone Jackie Chan on them.

Fair dinkum? :x

I noticed a few more than normal in that area early last week (haven't ridden since Tuesday last week), but they seemed to stay out of the way. There's actually a few over there now....my office is 100m away from the path at Bell St.

Going the Jackie Chan is a good idea. Or belting one with your fists, repeatedly. Then another, and so on. :evil:
fat and old

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:33 pm

perfect weather this morning. today and tomorrow left then heading to mexico for 3 weeks. should we have a commuter brekky while i'm down there?

my gretaboy commuter challenge lead is out to 350kms. TW and Andre are putting me in a false sense of security.
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:58 pm

On the way home on Friday night there was a cyclist coming in the other direction with headphones in singing in an almost operatic voice. Made me smile.

Nice ride in today with a lovely sunny morning and a fair few cyclists.... Including cyclists who don't understand that riding on the left of a left turning vehicle on the corner of Elizabeth Street and Hoddle is one of the dumbest things to do (not to mention contrary to the road rules). The poor van driver had to stop and ended up blocking traffic waiting for the 3-4 cyclists to keep undertaking him. I then obviously stopped to let him go, but I'm not sure if the cyclist behind me was about to either rear-end me or undertake us both. :shock:
Summernight

Postby __PG__ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:04 am

Beautiful morning commutes in Melbourne for the last two mornings. Almost no traffic, it feels like half the city is on school holidays.
1994 Cecil Walker
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0
__PG__

Postby Summernight » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:12 am

__PG__ wrote:Beautiful morning commutes in Melbourne for the last two mornings. Almost no traffic, it feels like half the city is on school holidays.

Lucky you. I don't know what it is about this school holiday, but where I've been there's been the same, if not more traffic than non holidays time. Especially this morning on Alexandra Avenue - it was banked way back more than usual into the Williams Street bend. I had to take a detour through the back streets in the car after my swim session to get home to then ride to work. And it wasn't due to the police raids on supposed terrorists as they were in other suburbs.

This morning was L.O.V.E.L.Y on the ride to work. I said hello to the carriage horses as they were clip-clopping their way into the city. :mrgreen:
Summernight

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:19 am

last commuting day for a while. perfect weather in brissy
jasonc

Postby Lizzy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:01 am

Lovely morning in the Wild West. 2 CCR scalps before getting to the city - male roadies, obviously not trying but whevs. Lots of oncoming big bunches plus double/triple overtakers on the new Kwinana path. Finding it very necessary to leave my flasher on as a survival mechanism along there.

Swooping maggie found me in Bullcreek, fortunately I was ready for him (and had the safety glasses on!). Made decent time too.

All fell apart when I got to work, remembered to take my towel into the shower block but not the toiletries, CBA'd going back to my office for them, and nobody had been thoughtful enough to leave me any of theirs to snaffle (humph ...). Had to scamper in and out to lather up with the hand soap. Can't have everything I guess :oops:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby MattyK » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:03 pm

Nice fast ride this morning with a tailwind. Not looking forward to the rain on the ride home, specially given I have the roadie (without mudguards) because the commuter has a bung shifter...
MattyK

Postby __PG__ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:49 pm

I'm really regretting not packing gloves and long pants for the ride home tonight. At least I packed my jacket and booties.
1994 Cecil Walker
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0
__PG__

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:03 pm

commuted 22 days this month ~1370kms
jasonc

Postby TigerFilly » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:57 pm

I had a training thingy in the city yesterday so had a lovely ride in and back along the bike paths, instead of my usual commute. I did get lost a couple of times trying to make my way from one corner of the parklands to the other. You'd think they could have put in at least one direct path rather than many separate windy scenic ones. I even nearly ran over a duck on the way in.

Today is horribly gusty and the head wind coming home was not nice.
TigerFilly

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:30 pm

Howling gale in my face on the way in. Thought I would get the same on the way home but a Westerly is not so bad.

Much lower average speed today, the wind was a right pain. At least I got home without getting wet.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby oxonabike » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:12 am

jasonc wrote:commuted 22 days this month ~1370kms

Good numbers. I got about half that at 758, which is the best this year. This was not enough to stop Gretaboy from jumping me on the commuting comp ladder, for a day or so at least, until I snuck in a mid week upload. Next week I expect to see him permanently perched above me on the ladder. Go Gretaboy!
oxonabike

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 am

oxonabike wrote:
jasonc wrote:commuted 22 days this month ~1370kms

Good numbers.

don't look at my climbing numbers. you may cry
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:36 am

Rain and wind last night? Whatever are you Melburnians talking about? Apart from a semi-damp road surface on the way home last night it was all fine and dandy. And I must have had a tailwind helping me because in one spot on a flat section I looked down at my speedo and saw I was going 41 in a 40 zone. Whoops. :P

I was a bit under-dressed for the change in temperature though.

The legs felt tired this morning on the ride in, probably due to the morning run. In comparison to yesterday morning's loads of bikes and their riders, there was hardly anyone around. Fair weather riders... Pfft. :D
Summernight

Postby MattyK » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Yeah, I was quite impressed how much it had dried out by the time I rode home last night.
MattyK

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting