How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Lizzy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lizzy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Yep, bit of a gentle zephyr this morning, you might say - pretty pooped when I got in from trying not to get blown off path! The 'seabreeze' site is currently reckoning on a pretty consistent 22ish kts I'm afraid, and building to 30 tomorrow arvo :|

First proper night time commute yesterday with the new headlight - on the positive side I almost never need it on full bore, on the negative, when I did need it on full bore, it gave me the battery warning after about 10 mins (forget how long between charges though; so jury is still out ...)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:56 pm

into the wind for the majority of the ride in, a touch of rain as i got to the causeway, as well as a flat at the top of parliament hill, before the chain dropped off just as i got to work - not the most enjoyable commute in today :roll:
Last edited by uglybob on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:32 pm

I left work yesterday expecting to get drenched in a storm but with a good tailwind. Instead by the time I got to the station the storm had dissipated and the wind had swung around a full 180 degrees. Instead of being fast and wet I was verrrrrry slow but dry.

This is not a complaint as headwinds are really just an enhanced training opportunity but really; headwinds in the morning and then a headwind at night is just a little too much of a good thing.

Apart from whining about the weather really not much to report.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Slept in this morning, thank goodness for the tailwind for the ride in...which of course meant for headwinds for the ride home, which were very gusty this afternoon.

It's been a while since us south sider commuters have had a headwind for the ride home, can't complain...just no Strava segments probably :roll:
Last edited by marinmomma on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:25 pm

marinmomma wrote:Slept in this morning, thank goodness for the tailwind for the ride in...which of course meant for headwinds for the ride home, which were very gusty this afternoon.

It's been a while since us south slider commuters have had a headwind for the ride home, can't complain...just no Strava segments probably :roll:
It was a lovely roll home for me ;)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:37 am

Comedian wrote:
marinmomma wrote:Slept in this morning, thank goodness for the tailwind for the ride in...which of course meant for headwinds for the ride home, which were very gusty this afternoon.

It's been a while since us south slider commuters have had a headwind for the ride home, can't complain...just no Strava segments probably :roll:
It was a lovely roll home for me ;)
bah to you.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:57 am

Went down yesterday afternoon....hit a semi head first it seems.

Was travelling along a busy road, dedicated bike lane/breakdown shoulder and cars were lined up next to me. Next thing I knew a truck came across my front from my right hand side, the cars had stopped to allow him to turn into a u turn area, I didnt see any break lights to warn me, guess the traffic was travelling too slow for them to brake.

Came as a bit of a surprise to me. I slammed on the brakes, rear end came up, and thats the last I can remember until I opened my eyes and found myself in somewhat of a foetal position on the road.

From eyewitnesses and photos it seems my head hit the third set of tyres, the rear ones, of the truck cabin. From the photos my partner took, you can see the "smudge" on the tyre where my head hit. Might have done a superman impression and flown through the air until my head hit the tyre it seems. Supposedly the bike landed on top of me, I have no recollection.

The helmet did its job though and is now a rightoff. My entire back is painful, will be interesting to see how badly I bruise.

I was very lucky it seems, 1. I didnt go between the pair of rear wheels on the cab of the truck..wasnt far from it. 2. The truck driver did a great job and pulled the truck up pretty quick and I didnt go under the trailer. 3. I didnt break anything and have got some bad aches and soon to be bruises...but someone was looking over me

Am yet to check the bike out yet to see what damage has been done.

Will be off riding for a bit until I recover but will get back to it as soon as I can.

Stay safe out there

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:07 am

Holy heck, sounds very dramatic and lucky/unlucky depending on how you look at it. Hope you heal well. Get your back checked...

Cheers,
Dave

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:07 am

gretaboy wrote:Went down yesterday afternoon....hit a semi head first it seems.

Will be off riding for a bit until I recover but will get back to it as soon as I can.

Stay safe out there
ouch - get yourself right before you hop back on the bike. most painful day will probably be today or tomorrow. have a radox bath or two. and do some walking
+1 to getting your back checked

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 am

Holy cr@p batman! Heal well Gretaboy...

Thankfully it sounds like your mostly OK for what could have been a lot worse. So now we can start joking about it on the endomondo thread ... :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:15 am

Kenzo wrote:Holy cr@p batman! Heal well Gretaboy...

Thankfully it sounds like your mostly OK for what could have been a lot worse. So now we can start joking about it on the endomondo thread ... :wink:
he's got 1500kms commuting kms on me. that's 5.5 weeks of commuting.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:00 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

Despite looking like a storm as I was leaving, it proved to be as the forecasters said - Warm and showers. Overall, a good easy trip in with a little bit of annoying WNW wind. I hope the winds away away this arvo.
Your not the only one.
First commute again in months since I put the fairing on my trike figuring out how to get it into the building. Figured it out today after I cycled to work :)
I had checked the rain radar and I knew a shower was coming then a break to the next one. First one gets me 5mins into the ride. The next time it started to drizzle about 2km to work then quit and then started to pelt down 500m from work....
Typical
Fairing + showerpass rainjacket keeps me fairly dry. Going to need booties on still tho...
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Dean Whittle

Postby Dean Whittle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 am

Sydney:

After 5wks off work, but still rec-riding, I recommenced my daily commutes on Monday. I was pretty happy that I shaved 12mins off my morning ride and 10min off my home journey, this makes both journeys faster than catching public transport ...

Leaving home at 6.30am means there's not a lot of traffic on the roads and the weather has been perfect for the rides, albeit a little wet this morning.

Regards
2012 Focus Planet TR 5.0

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 am

SWMBO & the little boy are away for 2 weeks so I have been bumping up my commutes from a 20km a day to 30-40km.

All that pales into insignficance though compared to gretaboy - I am horrified by your crash & happy that you are alive. Hoping that your recovery will be as quick as you are.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:33 pm

gretaboy wrote: Will be off riding for a bit until I recover but will get back to it as soon as I can.
Stay safe out there
Wow, gretaboy, that's not good news, hope you haven't done yourself any serious damage and that you are back in the saddle asap!
Sounds like a pretty lucky escape you had there... :shock:
Without you charging up behind me in the commuter challenge, the temptation to take the shorter route for a pub stop might get the better of me on a few occasions :mrgreen:

Heal well, and quickly!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:36 pm

uglybob wrote:into the wind for the majority of the ride in, a touch of rain as i got to the causeway, as well as a flat at the top of parliament hill, before the chain dropped off just as i got to work - not the most enjoyable commute in today :roll:
repeat yesterdays - just add more rain & wind, and remove the dropped chain.

Max

Postby Max » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Yowsa, gretaboy. Heal quick!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Jaybus, :shock: gretaboy, that is far too close to the wheels of a truck for comfort - glad you came out of that OK.

On a less hectic note, am I the only one who just can nevaaar get out the door in one hit each morning? Third time lucky today after forgetting office key, then drink bottle. Early onset alzheimers or something ... :|

Blowing dogs off chains from the west again today, only caught a light shower about halfway along, although it's chucking it down now. All in all I had a better morning though than the owner of that yacht that dragged its mooring across from the anchorage near South of Perth YC to the river wall near the east end of Canning Bridge ... ouch.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Yesterday morn was a good ride. A bit cool, with a light breeze. I had my usual shorts, shirt on and temp was quite comfortable. Thought I saw a Muslim lady walking along the PSP toward me. Nope, just a rugged up walker. Full jacket, zipped all the way up to the nose, hood on plus mittens. Only the glasses visible. I'm sure it wasn't THAT cold. Plenty of colder mornings along the commute and I've never seen anyone that covered up. It was probably around 13-15 degrees.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 pm

@gretaboy - unlucky and lucky in equals parts. Heal fast.

The good form continues. Last night, my legs were sending all the right messages so I had a crack at one of the Strava's and took 10 seconds off my PB. Only 12 more to go to get the top spot (haha)!

Knocked over a second best commute to the CBD this morning and whilst feeling rather smug about it was handed a lesson on the Harbour Bridge by a guy on a fixie who must have been having a crack at a segment! He was flying!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Lizzy wrote:On a less hectic note, am I the only one who just can nevaaar get out the door in one hit each morning? Third time lucky today after forgetting office key, then drink bottle. Early onset alzheimers or something ... :|
I often get out the door in one hit - it's not until I get to work that I realise I have forgotten my keys, phone etc :oops:

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Wow... the truck, so lucky.

I got swooped by magpies, took my eyes off the path for a second to swat them away.. clipped a pole, got some air, and then slid out. Lucky no one saw me. :lol:

Front wheel now buckled, jacket ripped, and some bark off the leg.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:14 pm

gretaboy wrote:Went down yesterday afternoon....hit a semi head first it seems.

Stay safe out there

Wow, GB, very lucky there by the sounds of it...heal well and get your back checked out ASAP, especially if there might be a police report if the driver is found at fault.
Lisa

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:09 am

Met up with a mate yesterday afternoon for the ride back via MYT and my old local, then homewards with another stop en route at my brother's place. Warm afternoon, but windy.
Warm morning in Melbourne at 19C at 4:30am, and the northerly is still around. Easy ride in with tailwind-assist :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:28 am

smashed the riverloop this morning in perfect Brisbane weather. Averaged 30.3km/h for the riverloop and got a few PRs along the way.

EDIT: trying to help a workmate cycle to work from albany creek any help with a route: here