Best tyres for commuting?

InTheWoods

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:11 pm

warthog1 wrote:That's a good result and good mileage Woods. :)
How much do you weigh?
73-76kg. bike is a flat bar and i'm usually carrying a backpack with food, clothes etc.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Thanks, same weight as me.
That's good wear out of a tyre. I'm lucky to get 4k out of a rear generally. They are lighter clinchers though.
Looking forward to those sort of k's with the SMP :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:24 am

Maybe my issue with the Marathons is that I weigh 122kgs plus back pack and my commute is not a normal city one 2 out of 5 days. :D

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 am

Mugglechops wrote:Maybe my issue with the Marathons is that I weigh 122kgs plus back pack and my commute is not a normal city one 2 out of 5 days. :D
Haha, based on those photos I think you'll wear out a lot of components faster than average :) It looks a bit like your BB is underwater there :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:43 am

have now done 10000kms on my front marathon plus.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:24 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Maybe my issue with the Marathons is that I weigh 122kgs plus back pack and my commute is not a normal city one 2 out of 5 days. :D
Haha, based on those photos I think you'll wear out a lot of components faster than average :) It looks a bit like your BB is underwater there :shock:
My brand new bottom bracket too :D Last one did 8000kms with the same abuse so it's all good.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:41 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
My brand new bottom bracket too :D Last one did 8000kms with the same abuse so it's all good.
You could be a BNA component tester going by that :)
What sort of wheels are you using? They've got to be good :o

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:39 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:
I reckon mugglechops needs to look at these wheels:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:17 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:
You're telling me. He weighs more than I do and I break spokes like crazy. Hey, Mugglechops, do you also ride a road bike and, if so, what wheels do you use?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:10 am

Hey guys

I have a SS/fixie with about 3000kms on it with a set of Alex 500 rims that have never had an issue. Needed a new frame at 2500kms.

My Giant Reign gets flogged and it's 24 spoke XT wheels have not even been trued in 2750kms.

My Trek 29er needed a new rear wheel after 1730kms. New wheel still going strong at 1373kms all ridden singlespeed.

My CX bike in the photos got a new rear wheel at 4200kms and then another one after 2495kms and then another one after 1711kms and currently have 729kms on the one I have now which is the same as the first one.

The same bike is only on its 3rd rear tyre

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:14 am

jasonc wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:
I reckon mugglechops needs to look at these wheels:

That would have come in handy when I attempted this :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:24 am

Mugglechops wrote:That would have come in handy when I attempted this :D
soooo close too

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:12 am

Mugglechops wrote:Hey guys

I have a SS/fixie with about 3000kms on it with a set of Alex 500 rims that have never had an issue. Needed a new frame at 2500kms.

My Giant Reign gets flogged and it's 24 spoke XT wheels have not even been trued in 2750kms.

My Trek 29er needed a new rear wheel after 1730kms. New wheel still going strong at 1373kms all ridden singlespeed.

My CX bike in the photos got a new rear wheel at 4200kms and then another one after 2495kms and then another one after 1711kms and currently have 729kms on the one I have now which is the same as the first one.

The same bike is only on its 3rd rear tyre
Thanks for the info. I'm feeling fortunate now as I only break spokes. I expect a rear wheel to last at least 20,000KMs and I don't think that is unreasonable. I understand I weigh quite a lot (about 105Kg) but wheels are supposed to be able to take this sort of weight. If I went on a strict diet and rode even more I still couldn't see myself going much under 90Kg as I am a big build (my daughter blames me for her broad shoulders).

ANyway I live in hope that I can make my current wheels last. If I have to I'll replace every spoke! I have noticed the spokes which came with the wheel are thinner than the replacements I'm using.

Back to tyres though: Marathon Supremes. Best commuting tyre I've used. If you want a longer lasting tyre, although slightly heavier and slightly more rolling resistance, I ran Marathon Plus for a while and they last forever. The thing I really like about the Marathon Supreme is that even when worn they retain their roundness and don't square off much at all.

DS

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:04 am

DavidS wrote:The thing I really like about the Marathon Supreme is that even when worn they retain their roundness and don't square off much at all.
how many kms david?

am seriously thinking this will be my front tyre

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:14 am

Difficult to answer. Broke my last bike before wearing out the front tyre which was the first Marathon Supreme I tried. On my current bike I have been going through spokes at a great rate and managed to break the sidewall on the rear tyre in about 3,000KMs. That said I reckon the rear had at least 1,000 left in it although the very top was pretty bare of tread. Moved the front to the rear and replaced the front. After 3,000KMs on the front the Marathon Supreme had plenty of tread and I reckon you would get well over 5,000 on the front and probably closer to 7,000.

DS

William Tern

Postby William Tern » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:02 am

I'm currently commuting on a Tern Link 24H folding bike which came with Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 42-406 tyres (i.e. 20" x 1.6"). Foolishly I assumed they were equivalent to the g/f's Schwalbe Marathon Plus gear which she's put 2,000 km on without a puncture. Wrong. Clocked 800km and then had a puncture on Wednesday from a triangular piece of glass only 4mm long that entered less than 1cm off the centreline. Once removed, the tyre feels incredibly flimsy with side walls that actually flop from side to side. Not sure what it might be good for, but commuting ain't it. The Marathon Plus replacements for front and back should be here this afternoon with luck.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:41 pm

What's wrong with one puncture in 800km? It's hardly a reason to disregard a tyre.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:What's wrong with one puncture in 800km? It's hardly a reason to disregard a tyre.
I agree. As for the floppy sides, they're not floppy once you put air in them. Marathon Supremes are the only folding tyre I've owned so I figured it's because they're a folding tyre. I have a Supreme which has now been moved from the front to the back wheel and it has done over 3,000KMs without a puncture. I think you are being a bit precious discarding a tyre after 800KMs and one puncture.

DS

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:17 am

25c Schwalbe Marathon Plus on the rear last night on some cheap 32 spoke wheels from Reid cycles. Shimano 2200 hubs and Alex DA16 rims for $45 a pair delivered :o
The tyre just squeezes in under the guard where it is mounted to the rear brake bridge. Had to take the wheel out again and force the guard as high up on the brake bolt as it would go. Only a poofteenth of clearance there. That will improve as the tyre wears I guess.
I'll commute in tonight and see how the tyre goes speed, feel and comfort wise. Should be good pucture wise as long as I haven't put the mocker on myself by typing this.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Well the tyre is a fair bit slower than lighter less puncture resistant tyres. That and the heavier wheels has changed the feel of the bike a fair bit also, it feels a bit more lumbering and mtb like. The bike is now significantly slower then my CF roadie and I wouldn't consider it for any bunch rides where I live, it was marginal before hand anyway. I wouldn't be able to take a turn at the front on it and would be hanging off the back for the whole ride.
As a commuter tyre though I'll keep using them, I don't want to be fixing flats in the dark, cold or wet. I was a bit surprised at the change in feel/speed though. I reckon ~ 1 km/h slower.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Many people on here using Maxxis Re-fuse? My sets are fairly young on my bikes, but I'm pretty happy so far (you know what I mean, without invoking the PF). They grip well in the wet and there doesn't seem to be any noticable slowing on my Strava stats (not that that means much...).

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:22 pm

lobstermash wrote:Many people on here using Maxxis Re-fuse? My sets are fairly young on my bikes, but I'm pretty happy so far (you know what I mean, without invoking the PF). They grip well in the wet and there doesn't seem to be any noticable slowing on my Strava stats (not that that means much...).
I use 'em on my roadie.

There's a running joke that they "Re-fuse" to grip in the wet.

I've never had a problem, even in a descent during the Kinglake Challenge in shocking conditions.

They're not light. But by commuter tyre standards ...

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:27 pm

warthog1 wrote:25c Schwalbe Marathon Plus on the rear last night.
warthog1 wrote:Well the tyre is a fair bit slower than lighter less puncture resistant tyres. That and the heavier wheels has changed the feel of the bike a fair bit also, it feels a bit more lumbering and mtb like...As a commuter tyre though I'll keep using them, I don't want to be fixing flats in the dark, cold or wet. I was a bit surprised at the change in feel/speed though. I reckon ~ 1 km/h slower.
I remember someone (who has Marathons) warning you about how slow plus tyres would be. :P But thanks for being cadid and letting us know. :)
You commute for 1.5 hours each way, right? So that 1 Km/h puts you 3 Km a day behind or about 6 minutes a day behind. Which is about the time it takes to change a tube, every day. How many flats do you get a year?

Having tried quite different wheels with the same tyres, I'd say the wheels would make little difference compared with the tyres. However, if you think the wheels are holding you back as well, it might be worthwhile checking the spoke tension. It might help with the feel and will prevent spoke breakages. Probably fairly mandatory for cheap, poorly built wheels.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Nobody wrote:about 6 minutes a day behind. Which is about the time it takes to change a tube
6 minutes to change a tyre is still quick (I think it takes me about 10)
i think of it as extra weight training - when I go onto my roadie, it feels and go like a rocket ship

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:25c Schwalbe Marathon Plus on the rear last night.
warthog1 wrote:Well the tyre is a fair bit slower than lighter less puncture resistant tyres. That and the heavier wheels has changed the feel of the bike a fair bit also, it feels a bit more lumbering and mtb like...As a commuter tyre though I'll keep using them, I don't want to be fixing flats in the dark, cold or wet. I was a bit surprised at the change in feel/speed though. I reckon ~ 1 km/h slower.
I remember someone (who has Marathons) warning you about how slow plus tyres would be. :P But thanks for being cadid and letting us know. :)
You commute for 1.5 hours each way, right? So that 1 Km/h puts you 3 Km a day behind or about 6 minutes a day behind. Which is about the time it takes to change a tube, every day. How many flats do you get a year?

Having tried quite different wheels with the same tyres, I'd say the wheels would make little difference compared with the tyres. However, if you think the wheels are holding you back as well, it might be worthwhile checking the spoke tension. It might help with the feel and will prevent spoke breakages. Probably fairly mandatory for cheap, poorly built wheels.
Thanks Nobody you were right I guess :)
I was a little surprised at the change in feel etc but I'm sure I'll adapt fairly quickly.
There are very few CCR competitors on my commute routes anyway. :lol:
The elcheapo wheels appear to have reasonably consistent spoke tension (by squeezing them together in the middle) and don't feel to be flexing at all. They are not touching the pads when I stand. They have 32 spokes a wheel and are fairly heavy so they should be strong. I'm sure they are contributing to the dead feeling the bike now has, given what a lift light wheels can make to a roadie.

I'm interested to see how they wear and will almost certainly put one on the front once I get the dyno hub lights and am running the dyno front