Best tyres for commuting?

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby queequeg » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:42 pm

martinjs wrote:
martinjs wrote:
martinjs wrote:Latest update on my 700 x 28C Schwalbe Marathon Plus both front and rear have just passed 7,001 km
Still no punctures, the front still looks as good as new and even the back still has tread pattern on it.
Remembering I'm no light weight and I'm usually riding with about 10kilo's of extra junk for work and cycling repair kit, not to mention the rough roads I ride on out here in the sticks. Best tires I've used to date. :D

Martin


Still going strong at 8,000k's as even the rear is showing tread still. :D Best tires for wear and puncture resistance I used to date.

Martin


Latest update is my Schwalbe Marathon Plus both Front and Rear a passed 10,000k's. Front still looks really good and even the rear is still showing a small amount of tread. :shock: Best I've had by far. 8)

Martin


Ho wmuch has your rear tyre squared off? My Marathon Plus 700x28c rear tyre was starting to show the blue protection layer through it, and was well and truly sqaured off. The front tyre was fine (and is now my back tyre). I finally replaced it once the whole tyre was showing blue. I definitely got my $34 worth out of that tyre!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

by BNA » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:20 pm

BNA
 

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby martinjs » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:20 pm

martinjs wrote:
Latest update is my Schwalbe Marathon Plus both Front and Rear a passed 10,000k's. Front still looks really good and even the rear is still showing a small amount of tread. :shock: Best I've had by far. 8)

Martin


The Marathon Plus tires are still going, passed 12,000k's on both front and rear. Thinking of replacing the back one's in the next month or so but the front may even get me through to 20,000k's.
Good tires and no punctures yet!

Martin
Image
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
User avatar
martinjs
 
Posts: 3388
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Fivebough, Leeton

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:26 pm

martinjs wrote:The Marathon Plus tires are still going, passed 12,000k's on both front and rear. Thinking of replacing the back one's in the next month or so but the front may even get me through to 20,000k's.
Good tires and no punctures yet!


Nice numbers. I would, if they where my tyres, be rotating the front to the rear, the rear to the bin and then putting the new tyre on the front. You want your front tyre to the best one ... front blow out is not as nice as a rear one.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20153
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:15 pm

I have marathon plus 26 inch 1.35 done at least 8000km and still going strong.
Only thing that is strange is in one part a piece or rubber has been ripped off exposing a .5cm2 blue area.
Don't know what caused this jumping up gutters or what?
Apart from that when you look at some of the wounds in the tires you really know that you need to have these tires...
Even if I did pay 70 bucks a tire fitted...
I was previously getting punctures 3 times a week and was going to give up cycling... now I have these tires I don't carry a spare tube or pump!!!!
newbikeorupgrade
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:40 pm

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:31 pm

newbikeorupgrade wrote:... now I have these tires I don't carry a spare tube or pump!!!!

That fluttering sound you hear when you ride is the wings of the puncture fairy following you, watching, waiting...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25815
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby Max » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:11 am

Mulger bill wrote:
newbikeorupgrade wrote:... now I have these tires I don't carry a spare tube or pump!!!!

That fluttering sound you hear when you ride is the wings of the puncture fairy following you, watching, waiting...


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
User avatar
Max
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby notwal » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:05 am

notwal wrote:
Cruiserman wrote:Hutchinson intensive road tubeless with Stans notubes sealant.


+1
6600 km so far and more to go. Zero punctures that I'm aware of. Riding in all conditions but there hasn't been much rain lately.
700x25C. 330 g. Nice ride. Medium grip. Expensive


Over 10,000 now and more to go. 1 puncture a month ago.
judged, insulted, gone
User avatar
notwal
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:59 pm

I have just bought 3 of these

At $11.50 they will work out cheaper than the Marathon Cross that I will be lucky to get 2500kms out of.
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2363
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby Hamster » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:05 pm

The first of my Continental Travels has just died with a 2 cm gash across the tread that penetrating through the tyre. After 6,600 kms I’m not complaining too much :cry: . The other one is going strong although looking somewhat shabby. Assuming no more glass I might get another 4 or 5,000 kms out of it :) .
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.
User avatar
Hamster
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:05 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby lethoso » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:22 am

Mugglechops wrote:At $11.50 they will work out cheaper than the Marathon Cross that I will be lucky to get 2500kms out of.


11.50 for those seems like a bargain!

2500km though, that seems pretty low :?
Image
lethoso
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:56 pm
Location: brisbane, 4101

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:56 am

lethoso wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:At $11.50 they will work out cheaper than the Marathon Cross that I will be lucky to get 2500kms out of.


11.50 for those seems like a bargain!

2500km though, that seems pretty low :?


Yeah I bought the Schawlbe Marathon Cross on the strength of the mileage others were getting with Marathons. Maybe this one is different. Have done a little over 2000kms on it and I cant see it doing much more than 2500kms.
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2363
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Here is a pic of the tyre after 2500kms

Image
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2363
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby martinjs » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:01 pm

martinjs wrote:
martinjs wrote:
Latest update is my Schwalbe Marathon Plus both Front and Rear a passed 10,000k's. Front still looks really good and even the rear is still showing a small amount of tread. :shock: Best I've had by far. 8)

Martin


The Marathon Plus tires are still going, passed 12,000k's on both front and rear. Thinking of replacing the back one's in the next month or so but the front may even get me through to 20,000k's.
Good tires and no punctures yet!

Martin


Really should be changing the back one now, but it's still going at 14,200k's. 8) :D
Hopefullly 1 more day "touch wood" and I'll make a whole year with no punctures. :D

Martin
Image
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
User avatar
martinjs
 
Posts: 3388
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Fivebough, Leeton

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:07 am

I had the stock Conti Ultra Races on my road bike, and noticed the purple belt showing through on the rear after 1400km. I researched a bit and ordered the Maxxis ReFuse tyres, which took ages to arrive. I had 1800km on the back before swapping them out. I also had no punctures until after christmas when I got 2 in 2 days - one in each of the front and rear.

Don't have enough k's (2-300k at the moment) in the refuse tires to compare properly, but they roll ok and do everything I need. I went down Bobbin Head in the wet (at a potentially stupid pace...) and they were completely fine.

Cheers,
Dave
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:32 am

Ozkaban wrote:I had the stock Conti Ultra Races on my road bike, and noticed the purple belt showing through on the rear after 1400km. I researched a bit and ordered the Maxxis ReFuse tyres, which took ages to arrive. I had 1800km on the back before swapping them out. I also had no punctures until after christmas when I got 2 in 2 days - one in each of the front and rear.

Don't have enough k's (2-300k at the moment) in the refuse tires to compare properly, but they roll ok and do everything I need. I went down Bobbin Head in the wet (at a potentially stupid pace...) and they were completely fine.

Cheers,
Dave


I just put a Maxxi refuse on my back tyre and have found it ok so far, but do believe it has taken 4-5 k's off my speed compared to Gatorskins. Have only done 270k on it so far and am hoping they will hold up better than the Gatorskins which got chewed up and spat out by the roads I am on. The maxxis seem a lot harder than the gatorskins which is good I am thinking.
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby notwal » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:59 pm

notwal wrote:
notwal wrote:
Cruiserman wrote:Hutchinson intensive road tubeless with Stans notubes sealant.


+1
6600 km so far and more to go. Zero punctures that I'm aware of. Riding in all conditions but there hasn't been much rain lately.
700x25C. 330 g. Nice ride. Medium grip. Expensive


Over 10,000 now and more to go. 1 puncture a month ago.

Died at 12,600 km. Not actually dead but the casing is showing through in a couple of places so I declared it dead sort of like a pet that is to ill to fix.
judged, insulted, gone
User avatar
notwal
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby Blackrock » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Used to have maxxis overdrive on my previous commuter and they looked nice, but didn't last too long. They were a good tire and only had one over-fast-balding-tires-vs-smooth-road crash....
Bike: 2014 Merida Cyclocross 5

Find me on youtube and FB page; Merida Test Rider-Commuter Bikes.

www.merida.com.au
Blackrock
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:08 am
Location: Blacktown

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby martinjs » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Tire update, after 14,636 km I finally replace my rear Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire. Although it was not giving me any problems and I had no punctures it was looking a little worse for wear with some cuts and nicks.
After removing it I believe I could have keep it on longer, although it was flattening out the rubber was still thicker in the centre than any other tire I've used. Front one is still going strong with a good amount of tread still. 8) :D

Martin
Image
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
User avatar
martinjs
 
Posts: 3388
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Fivebough, Leeton

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:30 pm

IMO any tire will do when you're talking 700x28 or larger, from what i've seen they all have enough rubber to resist punctures and last well, without having to resort to snake oil concoctions of kevlar and god knows what else, one of the reasons i love 27inch tires. I have a 28c Michelin of some description with easily over 3,000k on it and no sign of any wear at all yet.

On a road frame with tight clearances that won't fit a 28 though, it's a different story, this..
newbikeorupgrade wrote:I was previously getting punctures 3 times a week and was going to give up cycling...

Is very familiar, i came close to giving up cycling because of the number of punctures i was getting, and the fact that often all it took was a near microscopic piece of gravel. I never got more than about 700k out of a tire. To me it seemed pretty obvious why, the tires i was using (Maxxis Detonator, Continental Ultra Sport, Kenda Koncept and a few others i can't remember atm) were just too thin to resist any sharp object. The answer of course is to get a thicker tire. I got a Halo Twin Rail BPP courier tire from the UK and i have now worn it through to the puncture belt after ~3500k. 5 times more life with zero punctures, for around the same price? Easy choice.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6686
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby queequeg » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:12 pm

martinjs wrote:Tire update, after 14,636 km I finally replace my rear Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire. Although it was not giving me any problems and I had no punctures it was looking a little worse for wear with some cuts and nicks.
After removing it I believe I could have keep it on longer, although it was flattening out the rubber was still thicker in the centre than any other tire I've used. Front one is still going strong with a good amount of tread still. 8) :D

Martin


I am amazed at that amount of km. Mine were stripped off all the black rubber well before that, with the blue puncture layer forming most of the tyre. Ditched it around 10,000km. It was pretty squared off by then.
Will see if my current tyres last until the end of the year, by which time they will have done about 14,000km. Maybe being on a different bike will change the wear on them.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby DavidS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Geez I reckon my Marathon Plus will get about 4,500 to 5,000 KMs on the back of my bike. I do weigh a bit and have a bag in a basket on the back but those tyres lastin 10,000 are amazing. To put it in perspective the Vittoria Randonneurs lasted about 3,500. Next tyre will be Marathon Supreme.

DS
Image

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
User avatar
DavidS
 
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:27 am

I haven't had nearly enough time on them to talk about longevity yet but I've been running continental 4 seasons 25c on my road bike. So far no punctures, rear tyre is showing a little wear while the front tyre still has some of the original mould flashing around the circumfrance. I've not been going easy on it, fair few fast descents, taking corners at high speed in the wet etc and so far I've not found the limit of traction wet or dry which I'm very happy with. I've heard that the 4 seasons wear as fast as a race tyre but with the benefit of near unbreakable traction in all conditions and with good puncture protection which is what I've been seeing so far, probably not the best commuting or race tyre but certainly an all seasons training tyre.
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby DJIntegr8 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:12 am

OK, so sometimes I ride like a 12 year old and do skids once in a while :twisted: 2500kms on the Rubino Pro 3 in 700x25c - commuting on some pretty horribly maintained bike lanes and through the CBD. No punctures, even through the bogan droppings of the city. Front tire is still looking pretty good though, might try the Rubino Pro Tech on the front and rotate through..

Image

Brendan
DJIntegr8
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby martinjs » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:31 pm

martinjs wrote:Tire update, after 14,636 km I finally replace my rear Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire. Although it was not giving me any problems and I had no punctures it was looking a little worse for wear with some cuts and nicks.
After removing it I believe I could have keep it on longer, although it was flattening out the rubber was still thicker in the centre than any other tire I've used. Front one is still going strong with a good amount of tread still. 8) :D

Martin


Just to put my tire wear into perspective, I weighed my self for the first time in a year and :oops: :oops: :oops: I weighed in at 109kilos. Bad boy that I am have not slacked off on the cycling but my eating slipped. Punishment time, but those tire just keep going.

Martin
Image
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
User avatar
martinjs
 
Posts: 3388
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Fivebough, Leeton

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby Comedian » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:42 pm

DJIntegr8 wrote:OK, so sometimes I ride like a 12 year old and do skids once in a while :twisted: 2500kms on the Rubino Pro 3 in 700x25c - commuting on some pretty horribly maintained bike lanes and through the CBD. No punctures, even through the bogan droppings of the city. Front tire is still looking pretty good though, might try the Rubino Pro Tech on the front and rotate through..

Image

Brendan


That's a great idea. Anything to get rid of those Vittoria Randonneurs!
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4412
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit