Beating the system - the cycling commuting section
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
I'd appreciate some help with planning my commute route. I have sketched out a pretty good route so far, but I need a little help with Sydney Olympic Park. I'm looking for a reasonably fast route between the end of the M4 cycleway and the cycle-way which takes me up to Rhodes to cross John Whitton Bridge.
I'm aiming to keep it off roads as much as possible, but I am aware that the road around SOP are not busy and there are bicycle lanes around the place too.
If anyone else is familiar, I'm looking to connect with the Shrimpton's Creek cycleway for the last leg of my ride to Macquarie University if you have any suggestions.
Its alittle messy at first and there are a few ways to get to rhodes but I assume you mean from Adderly St East (which is all cycle paths). Follow this path under the M4 (into Newington) and staying along the swamp which is to your right until your about to get under Holker st. Take a right turn just before this (270 degree turn) and head onto Australia Avenue.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 3&t=h&z=19
Then its about 2-3 kms till you hit a set of lights on the corner of Australia Ave and bennalong, turning left on Bennalong. About 100ms down take a right into strickland (see map) and follow this path to the end which will take you to Rhodes.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 3&t=h&z=17
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]
Following on from the previous poster - as an idea - just a quick overview of the way I take with my kids (9 and 11) when we want to avoid traffic and main roads:
Assuming you mean the end of the M4 viaduct at the west end of Aderley St -
1 : Travel east down Adderley St West till you reach the very end - at Silverwater Rd. Cross at the lights here to Adderley St East
2. Go down Adderley St East till you reach the cycleway - follow this north under the M4 and along the SOP dedicated cycleways, till you get past Oceania Ave and before going under Holker Rd.
3. Turn right on one of teh smaller cycleways to get to the Holker St/Hill Rd intersection and cross here at lights to get into the west end of Australia Avenue (which is bus and bike only)
4. Continue west all the way down Australia Avenue (some light traffic crossing Marjorie Jackson Pkway), till you reach the intersection with Bennelong Pkway
5. Take the little ramp on the left up to the footbridge crossing Bennelong Pkway and go across into Bicentennial Park.
6. Continue east through the Treillage and then head North east along the bike paths to the path travelling north parallel to Homebush Bay Dve, till you reach Rhodes.
Don't know if this is what you are after, of if my description is good enough, but if you like I'll map it out on bikely.
Moved to Commuting section.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online