Microfibre Towel?

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Microfibre Towel?

Postby Runjikol » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these microfibre travel towels and have been asking a few people about them.

Does any of the commuter-people here use such a thing?
How does it perform?

What I'm keen for is a towel that is worth having (ie. it doesn't just move the water around on my skin) and carry without it needing its own backpack/pannier. :P
--Current rides: Cannondale Bad Boy 8 || Surly Big Dummy || Dahon Dash P-18
Runjikol

by BNA » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:43 pm

BNA

Re: Microfibre Towel?

Postby Loneranger » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:43 pm

We use them when cycle touring and tried using them at work. At work I have the space for a normal towel so I went back to using one. When they're new it's really coarse to touch and I found that it ripped my hands up but once you've used it a while then it does the job and they dry quick.

If you need to watch your weight or volume then I'd use it but if you have a choice stick with a normal towel.
Loneranger

Postby Biffidus » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:57 pm

I bought a larger one a few years ago when I went overseas and now I use it for my commute. Much better than lugging a full-size towel around.
Biffidus

Postby rhancock » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:07 pm

I've been using one for a year or so, bought it from Anaconda for about $25. Its great. Lightweight and not bulky. Dries me well. Best thing is that they don't stay wet, so you can put it in your bag with your cycling clothes. Wouldn't be without it. Just be careful you get a decent one, though - I've seen some 'sports' towels which seemed to be very thin ordinary towels!
rhancock

Postby banjo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:57 pm

banjo

Postby banjo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:59 pm

I hit submit to quickly!

They are available at Anaconda, amongst other places.
banjo

Postby simonn » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:23 pm

We have four or five of them hanging around. They are great for travelling because they dry quickly, but they are not as good as normal towels for getting you dry.

For commuting I just use hand towels.
simonn

Postby provoked » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:27 pm

Damnit - this forum always produces new ways to spend that imaginary money I have growing in the backyard!

My huge bathroom towels are a pain to carry around.
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton
provoked

Postby Max » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:49 am

banjo wrote:They are available at Anaconda, amongst other places.

+1. I got one of the full sized Tek Towels for CQ09. Because it's sized like a regular towel, I don't have to change the way I dry myself. Plus, it folds up pretty small into the carry bag. There was a time I used it as my regular towel at home (dang, hadn't done the laundry in a while! :oops: ) and it did a fine job. It dries fast too.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Strawburger » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:53 am

I've got the Tek Towels (bought from a camping store in the CBD). As everyone else says, they dry (but not better than a normal sized towel) and they roll up tight & compact, and best of all they dry quickly. I've got an extra large and it rolls up smaller than my shirt & pants.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)
Strawburger

Postby Runjikol » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:25 am

I've ordered a "Lifeventure Soft Fibre Extra Large Trek Towel" from Wiggle (with other stuff for the free delivery).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Lifeventure_Soft_Fibre_Extra_Large_Trek_Towel/5360028543/

Then I found out Anaconda have 20% off everything... may mean I need a second one. :D
Runjikol

Postby m@ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:20 pm

I use them a lot bushwalking; great as a towel, for wiping condensation and rain off the tent fly before packing up, keeping feet clean and in place of a tea-towel. Separate towels recommended, particularly for tasks 2 and 3 :lol:

I've actually found that the best one for using as a towel is a microfiber cleaning cloth from a vacuum cleaner shop though - the more 'towelly' for want of a better word ones with a deeper pile aren't very absorbent at all, but the cloth soaks up heaps of water and wrings dry easily. Given the choice, I'd always use a cotton towel though - I just keep a good supply of old ones from home at work, and bring them home in the car every so often for a wash.
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Runjikol » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:49 pm

I've been using a Lifeventure Soft Fibre Towel for about 2 weeks now and it's great. It feels a little different, a bit like using a chamois, but works well.
Have to recommend them as a great portable choice for commuters as well as hikers/backpackers, etc.

The one I bought was: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Lifeventure_Soft_Fibre_Extra_Large_Trek_Towel/5360028543/
Runjikol

Postby kukamunga » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:42 pm

I have only been disappointed with 'microfibre' type towels in the past. I purchased a Speedo Chamois Sports Towel nearly ten years ago, and have never looked back. I can fit it into a zip-lock sandwich bag, and it absorbs water like a peat bog..... :roll:
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:49 pm

I have one. I used it when commuting. It isn't quite as good as a regular towel, but it does the job nicely.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Postby kiso » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:42 pm

kukamunga wrote:I have only been disappointed with 'microfibre' type towels in the past. I purchased a Speedo Chamois Sports Towel nearly ten years ago, and have never looked back. I can fit it into a zip-lock sandwich bag, and it absorbs water like a peat bog..... :roll:

That's exactly what I've been using for the last year, and it's great.
John

kiso

Postby qiao » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:28 am

I used KAIERSI BOTE microfibre towel which I bought on ebay for a few months, and I love it. It's so soft and not coarse at all. Glad that I bought it, I use it for exercisting and after-shower. I saw some from K-mart, I think they are more suitable for car wash not for our bodies :(
qiao

Postby Hamster » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:19 pm

I bought several bath-sheet sized ones several years ago off eBay. I cannot remember the price, but they were cheap and they work a treat. :D :D
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.
Hamster

Postby Bob_TAS » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:27 pm

+1 for the Sea to Summit 'Tek Towel'. I've been using the same one for three years. Even after all of the washes it's still in great condition. Couldn't recommend them more highly.
Bob_TAS

Postby A_P » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Bob_TAS wrote:+1 for the Sea to Summit 'Tek Towel'. I've been using the same one for three years. Even after all of the washes it's still in great condition. Couldn't recommend them more highly.

5 years+ for mine, wouldn't hesitate if i had to buy another one.
A_P

Return to Commuting