First Commute from new home(Baulkahm Hills to Gordon)

silkishuge

First Commute from new home(Baulkahm Hills to Gordon)

Postby silkishuge » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:45 am

Hi,

First commute this morning from new home to work (Baulkham Hills to Gordon). I was a little worried yesterday about the section of the route after I exit the M2 but it turned out to be alright.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Co ... -Gordon-R2
Woke up this morning at 6.00am after 30 mins of hitting the snooze button of the mobile phone. I felt a bit sluggish after a week off the bike. I don't remember anytime when I have been away frommy bike for that long, but the move from Melbourne had taken its toll on my back and right knee. I intended to take things easy today too, just spinning comfortably.
By the time I got organised, it was already 630am and I really wanted to beat peak hour traffic. Sped out the door, fumbled around with the keys as I tried to figure which one was the right one. :lol: When I got to the Windsor Rd ramp of the M2, traffic was already at a snails pace. It was nice overtaking car after car. I wasn't sure how fast I was going since the speedo died on me. Must remember to get new batteries for the speed sensor. I noticed that cars tend to accelerate when they see a bike past them....... strange behaviour I find. I think I had a tail wind this morning. Quite an effortless ride. I got to Lane Cove Rd (Aka Rhyde Rd) in 24.5 mins where I met three other cyclist who took to the shared path in the direction of Pymble. I was thinking to myself to follow or not to follow. I wasn't keen to ride on a shared path that was in appalling condition. One quick look at the watch told me I had heaps of time so I crossed th road to _____________ (Insert name?) National Park. The gate for cars were closed but people had bicycles could get through. It was a peaceful ride with no cars and just a few people enjoying the fresh air and serenity.
At the end of the road, I connected to Delhi Rd, which was packed with traffic. I did not study the elevation profile on Bikely since hills seldom bothered me too much. Delhi Rd became Fuller Rd and it was a descent climb to Pacific Highway. I was a little worried my right knee would give since I wanted to avoid any pressure on that knee but all good.
Pacific Highway was great as usual. I am used to this road since I often use it whem I was commuting from the city where I was located for the last month and a half. Most of the traffic is in the opposite direction and there was usually a free lane I could use.
Got to Gordon without any incident and what a beautiful morning for it. 56 min and 15 sec which is not too bad imo. Only hitch in the ride was to get a cross the road from Lane Cove Rd to the National Park entrance. Alternatively, I might stay on the M2 and exit at Delhi Rd. I met two other cyclist on the way. A new commuter I think and a seasoned veteran who was acting as a guide and a source of encouragement. Good on ya mate. :D
Now to figure how to get home since I can't use the M2 from Lane Cove Rd. :(

Have a great day all!! I know I will :D
Cheers,
J

Fluddman

Re: First Commute from new home(Baulkahm Hills to Gordon)

Postby Fluddman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Sound like a nice first ride. Must be good fun pedal past all the cars on the M2 :D

BTW you can go under the bridge (De Burghs bridge??) on Lane Cove Road to get into the National Park. (You have to get on the footpath as you head down hill past the park on the left - its easier to find on your return leg) Might be easier/safer in peak hour.

Interesting that you find less traffic on the Pacific Highway than on Lane Cove Road - the ride through the national park is vey enjoyable.

Good luck!

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:10 pm

Fluddman wrote:Sound like a nice first ride. Must be good fun pedal past all the cars on the M2 :D

BTW you can go under the bridge (De Burghs bridge??) on Lane Cove Road to get into the National Park. (You have to get on the footpath as you head down hill past the park on the left - its easier to find on your return leg) Might be easier/safer in peak hour.

Interesting that you find less traffic on the Pacific Highway than on Lane Cove Road - the ride through the national park is vey enjoyable.

Good luck!
Thanks mate. I will keep my eyes pealed on the way back. Still have not figured out what the best route woud be to get home, but there was a member who suggested an alternate route to the M2 using Prembrook Rd, Sussex and Cambridge which would take me back onto the M2 bypassing the tunnel. Seems complicated and less fun.

I think Pacific highway has less traffic because I am heading out of Sydney rather than towards it. That might explain the lower traffic volume. I find that Rhyde Rd is busy which ever direction I want to go.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
J

kiso

Postby kiso » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:07 pm

There's a quiet alternative from Browns Waterhole to Turramurra. You can exit the M2 about a kilometre before the toll plaza and follow the cycle path to Brown's Waterhole and up the hill to Kissing Point Rd. http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ma ... ra-Cyclery should give you the idea.

Trouble is you'd be riding with the traffic on the Pacific Hwy.
John

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:12 pm

kiso wrote:There's a quiet alternative from Browns Waterhole to Turramurra. You can exit the M2 about a kilometre before the toll plaza and follow the cycle path to Brown's Waterhole and up the hill to Kissing Point Rd. http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ma ... ra-Cyclery should give you the idea.

Trouble is you'd be riding with the traffic on the Pacific Hwy.
Thats a good laternative route. Thanks for that. Is there an underpass to get across the M2 to Vimiera Rd? That might be a better alternative for me.

Thanks,
J

kiso

Postby kiso » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:55 pm

silkishuge wrote:
Thats a good laternative route. Thanks for that. Is there an underpass to get across the M2 to Vimiera Rd? That might be a better alternative for me.

Thanks,
J
Yes. Assuming the lay of the land hasn't changed too much (it's a few years since I lived there), you'll see the underpass on your left. The path takes you to the end of Vimiera Rd.
John

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:08 pm

kiso wrote:
silkishuge wrote:

Thanks,
J
Yes. Assuming the lay of the land hasn't changed too much (it's a few years since I lived there), you'll see the underpass on your left. The path takes you to the end of Vimiera Rd.
Thanks Kisok, it is a great route. A little hairy on Pacific Highway, but all good once I got to Kissing Point Road. It cuts my commute by about 6km and more than 20 mins of start stop traffic. I feel alot safer as well. Thanks mate. Really appreciate it.

J

kiso

Postby kiso » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:56 pm

silkishuge wrote: Thanks Kisok, it is a great route. A little hairy on Pacific Highway, but all good once I got to Kissing Point Road. It cuts my commute by about 6km and more than 20 mins of start stop traffic. I feel alot safer as well. Thanks mate. Really appreciate it.

J
Glad to help!
John