Commuter world, post your ride here.

Mikka

Re: Great Commuter Bikes

Postby Mikka » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:17 am

Nice. I'm impressed. 8) I'd consider that a smart commuter. Good job. Maybe checkout some other bottom brackets to get your chainline where you want....

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:44 am

x 2 that's sweet.

Lincoln_blitz

Postby Lincoln_blitz » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Rek can I ask where you got the frame and fork combo from? Online or an LBS. Website has no distributors outside UK.

Large gaps in the frame sizing as far as I can tell, 3cm (54 or 57). I ride a 56cm Kona Jake the Snake and its TT length is about the limit for my arms, so will need to double check lengths on both.

Rek

Postby Rek » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:34 pm

I got the frame from c r c. Looks like the 54cm is out of stock, but the 57cm blue is on sale. I think importing from the UK is the only way to get a KUK frame, unless you happen to find one on ebay.

PBK also have it listed, but only in 57cm.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:29 pm

If this is a "post your commuter" thread, here's my steed:

2007 Avanti Blade 8
mods:
bar ends cut off (never used them)
18T rear sprocket (was 20 - would even consider going to a 16T)
Shimano M505 pedals
Topeak MTX rack and fold-out bag
twin 1/2 W blinky rear lights
twin Magicshine MJ-808 headlights
Nashbar carbon cyclocross fork
Avid BB7 front brake (front wheel rebuilt w Deore hub)
Schwalbe Marathon 700 x 28c
plastic mudguards (can't remember brand...)

If I made any more changes they would be:
faster rolling / lighter tyres
Alfine hub (more efficient, hopefully better shifting under load)
different seat post (the 'suspension' in this one is completely rigid... :roll: so either a carbon post or a thudbuster)
chain case or (not possible) belt drive (to stop my 2yo daughter playing with a greasy chain!)

Anakist

Postby Anakist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Here is my new one, lounging at work. No lockers or undercover or anything so I hid it behind the door to the yard and locked it to a sign post!

Merida Cyclo Cross 4 Disc

Shimano 105 (5700 I think) except for FSA crank and Taiwanese road disc hubs.
Avid BB5 Roads (damn no outboard adjusting knob!) with 105 on the drops and Avid FR5 on the flats (Loving that!)
Maxxis 35mm "Raze" 'Cross tyres (Very nice considering they are offroad treaded!)
Alloy fork

I absolutely love it. The 105 drivetrain shifts beautifully and I am easily as fast on this as on my slick equipped, upgraded, MTB, even with the offroad tyres! Still have a HA-III Cree SSC P7-C (SXO) 5-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light coming from DX, as well as SportContacts, SKS RaceBladeXL's, a No Tubes tubeless kit, and some nicer pedals coming for it. Should be quite the weapon!

James
Bikes:
2010 Merida Cyclo Cross 4 Disc
2006 Avanti Escape with slicks and "Upgraditis"
2008 Buell 1125r

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Came across this one: Moots' Comooter Ti bike

http://moots.com/our-bike/road/comooter/overview/

Mmmmmmm

Edit: Apparently a shade under USD9K :-(

http://www.commutebybike.com/2008/09/24 ... oter-8750/
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Max

Postby Max » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:06 am

I love the name - "Comooter". But $9000USD is a bit steep, isn't it? I love the comments on the review page, especially this one:
Chris Cowan wrote:Really? $8750 for a commuter bike? I think the target audience for this bike is someone who likes to spread money around on their bed, gets naked and rolls around on it screaming, “I’M RICH! HA! HA! HA! I’M RICH! HA! HA! HA!” While they have logs of $100 bills burning in the fire place.
:lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:24 am

^ :lol:
Nice 'cross bike Anakist. Bit too much white for my tastes, but really practical, no nonsense ride.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:06 am

Max wrote:I love the name - "Comooter". But $9000USD is a bit steep, isn't it? I love the comments on the review page, especially this one:
Chris Cowan wrote:Really? $8750 for a commuter bike? I think the target audience for this bike is someone who likes to spread money around on their bed, gets naked and rolls around on it screaming, “I’M RICH! HA! HA! HA! I’M RICH! HA! HA! HA!” While they have logs of $100 bills burning in the fire place.
:lol:

Max
Yeah the comments are priceless. But if I'm going to be pedantic here, said rich bloke would have a rickshaw type of bike. Why do the hard work? Hire somebody else to do the riding.

Seriously, I didn't realise Moots were that expensive. The only Moots I've seen IRL looked ordinary.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:24 pm

I've had a request from Fletcher, the OP of this thread that I rename it to be a gallery of the wonderful scoots that keep us moving to and fro when we aren't playing on our other bikes :wink:

I like the idea and have done so. I'd like feedback from my fellow members on whether the thread should be stickied so it can never be forgotten.

To keep the ball rolling, here's Lola, my magnificent Kona. :mrgreen:

Please let me know what you all think.

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I've had a request from Fletcher, the OP of this thread that I rename it to be a gallery of the wonderful scoots that keep us moving to and fro when we aren't playing on our other bikes :wink:

I like the idea and have done so. I'd like feedback from my fellow members on whether the thread should be stickied so it can never be forgotten.

To keep the ball rolling, here's Lola, my magnificent Kona. :mrgreen:

Please let me know what you all think.

Cheers
Shaun
Its not a Cannondale :mrgreen:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Missy24 wrote:Its not a Cannondale :mrgreen:
Nooo, My 'Dale is too nice to commute on.
Got me first paint chip today :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:05 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Missy24 wrote:Its not a Cannondale :mrgreen:
Nooo, My 'Dale is too nice to commute on.
Got me first paint chip today :(
Mine's nicer than yours and its got more chips than a ... wood chipper :?

DrJay

Postby DrJay » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:47 am

Just got a new second-hand faster commuter from Dan on Sydney Cyclist.

It's a 2008, done about 8000km, and is just lovely.

Comfortable, fast (for me) climbs, very strong rack, mudguards.

Awaiting delivery of new brake pads, some small lights (backups for the Exposure Strada and RedEye), new chain, new tires, second bottle cage, blue bar tape... oh, and a Brooks B17 Special in Honey.

Revised pic will be posted then.
Humans are not so much rational beings, as rationalizing ones.

2010 Giant Yukon with slicks and stuff.
2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Soon to be replaced...

And clean in the summer time...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:23 pm

Ahh Crawf, thanks for reminding me with that pic, been meaning to ask...

The inline barrel adjustor on the front brake, how's that working for you?

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:15 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Ahh Crawf, thanks for reminding me with that pic, been meaning to ask...

The inline barrel adjustor on the front brake, how's that working for you?

Shaun
Hi Shaun, it can be very handy for the most minute adjustments, I can simply lean down while riding and wind it in or out for fine tuning. But I find I only do this when initially setting up with new pads or a new cable. Once its all bedded down and alligned, I only ever need to adjust the BB7's by winding the calipers in a click or two.
But If you have one it's worth throwing it into the setup.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks Crawf. I'll leave it to me next cable change then.

Cheers
Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:17 pm

my cross-check in the foreground :)

DrJay

Postby DrJay » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:44 pm

There we go:

Started as this:

Now this:
Humans are not so much rational beings, as rationalizing ones.

2010 Giant Yukon with slicks and stuff.
2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi

This is my new summer/winter commuter:

Andrew
Andrew

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:54 pm

Altough my commutes are limited at the moment, this is stil my commuter. (and long distance rides.)

The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

baarg

Postby baarg » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:04 pm

I found it interesting to read lots of people have a commuter and a non-commuter bike, the commuter bike being a kind of hard duty one and the good one a weekend ride but I was wondering what's wrong with using your 'good bike' to go to work? I do, and although have a crapier roadie and a mtb, I really don't enjoy riding them as much as I enjoy riding my newer addition. I do ride them if it rains or I feel like making an effort that day. I was just curious because people don't usually have two cars, the commuting and the weekend car (unless you're a tradie and you have a van with signs on it). When I got my first road bike I was asked what I wanted it for, I said to commute. As it was my first road bike, it was fair to sell me a cheap bike. But saying that, as I got into it, I wasn't very happy with it either. I still love that bike and use it to remind me how nice my new bike is, but have to say I always wanted more from it. What I mean to say is, if you're going to commute everyday and it's a pretty long way, why not make it the best ride you can have? People drive powerful cars on the motorway and they can't even get to 30km/h most mornings and afternoons (at least on the centenary motorway!) so what's wrong with using the good bike; a nice car costs a looooot more and people don't hesitate taking it to work. Just curious.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:38 pm

baarg wrote:I found it interesting to read lots of people have a commuter and a non-commuter bike, the commuter bike being a kind of hard duty one and the good one a weekend ride but I was wondering what's wrong with using your 'good bike' to go to work? I do, and although have a crapier roadie and a mtb, I really don't enjoy riding them as much as I enjoy riding my newer addition. I do ride them if it rains or I feel like making an effort that day. I was just curious because people don't usually have two cars, the commuting and the weekend car (unless you're a tradie and you have a van with signs on it). When I got my first road bike I was asked what I wanted it for, I said to commute. As it was my first road bike, it was fair to sell me a cheap bike. But saying that, as I got into it, I wasn't very happy with it either. I still love that bike and use it to remind me how nice my new bike is, but have to say I always wanted more from it. What I mean to say is, if you're going to commute everyday and it's a pretty long way, why not make it the best ride you can have? People drive powerful cars on the motorway and they can't even get to 30km/h most mornings and afternoons (at least on the centenary motorway!) so what's wrong with using the good bike; a nice car costs a looooot more and people don't hesitate taking it to work. Just curious.
easy, because we can. :twisted:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!