Commuter world, post your ride here.

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby fraz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:10 am

rheicel wrote:
fraz wrote:Bought the bike from the tip. Found the wheels in a bin at my old apartment building. Most of the other bits were extras I had lying around or were bought from the tip for a couple of bucks. Only brand new items were the chain tensioner....

How is the chain tensioner? can you please give me more details of it. Thanks


Sure.

It's a Blackspire Stinger, which is available with a bottom bracket mount or an ISCG mount. Obviously the Dew doesn't have an ISCG mount, but I used an adaptor (like this), rather than getting the BB mount tensioner, so that I could adjust it once the crankset and rear wheel were mounted.

It was a bit troublesome at first, as the adaptor mounted to the BB would slip with rough riding. Putting a super thin, sticky rubber washer between the adaptor and the BB shell got rid of all issues. It's tight, smooth, and I think it looks much better than the spring loaded type. A bit more work but nothing too taxing.
fraz
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:13 am

by BNA » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:22 am

BNA
 

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby rheicel » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:22 am

fraz wrote:
rheicel wrote:
fraz wrote:Bought the bike from the tip. Found the wheels in a bin at my old apartment building. Most of the other bits were extras I had lying around or were bought from the tip for a couple of bucks. Only brand new items were the chain tensioner....

How is the chain tensioner? can you please give me more details of it. Thanks


Sure.

It's a Blackspire Stinger, which is available with a bottom bracket mount or an ISCG mount. Obviously the Dew doesn't have an ISCG mount, but I used an adaptor (like this), rather than getting the BB mount tensioner, so that I could adjust it once the crankset and rear wheel were mounted.

It was a bit troublesome at first, as the adaptor mounted to the BB would slip with rough riding. Putting a super thin, sticky rubber washer between the adaptor and the BB shell got rid of all issues. It's tight, smooth, and I think it looks much better than the spring loaded type. A bit more work but nothing too taxing.

Cool, thanks!
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby rabbit stew » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:44 pm

[url][/url]Image
I,m not quiet. I just dont plan murders out aloud.
rabbit stew
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:00 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby minhyy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Here's my commuter - 90s Shogun Samurai with 105 STI levers, 400ex cranks and RD, Suntour Cyclone FD and RX100 hubs laced to Araya rims. Had to improvise a bit to even fit the front fender on, and to have barely any clearance at the front. Approx 13kg plus my weight, one bidon, saddle bag and backpack

Image

Image
will replace eventually with some wider tyres, probably something in 25c
Party like it's 1999
minhyy
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:53 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby rheicel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Nice one Minh.

Here is mine. I'll grab some good shots when I can afford to buy a camera :lol:
Image
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby rheicel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Another shot taken today. Looks more of a commuter this time.
Image
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby kyap » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:25 am

my commute bike...1999 GT converted to flat bar.
9.5kg
wish to put pannier rack but no eyelet :( :(

Image
~~Cervelo S2~~...Fast Ride Demanded....~~
User avatar
kyap
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby michael_w » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:30 am

kyap wrote:my commute bike...1999 GT converted to flat bar.
9.5kg
wish to put pannier rack but no eyelet :( :(

Image

You could always use some cable clamps to attach the rack to your frame. They are rubber coated/sleeved and protect your frame well from personal experience. They also come in various sizes and are available from auto parts dealers and probably electrical wholesalers as well.
User avatar
michael_w
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:47 pm
Location: Upwey, Vic

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby kyap » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks michael_w. Will check it out.
~~Cervelo S2~~...Fast Ride Demanded....~~
User avatar
kyap
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby MattyK » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:17 pm

Latest incarnation of mine:
Image
Avanti Blade 8 (2007)
Nexus 8 hub
Versa VRS8 shifters and Deda drop bar
carbon fork and Avid BB7 front brake
Tubus rack
Philips lights
Charge Spoon
Zefal Paragon guards
44/16T gearing
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 700c x 28 tyres
PD-M540 pedals
User avatar
MattyK
 
Posts: 1416
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby Blackrock » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Picked up my new 2014 Merida Cyclocross 5 today. Can't wait to ride it!
I'll be posting a few [close up] pics and review videos shortly.

Image
Bike: 2014 Merida Cyclocross 5

Find me on youtube and FB page; Merida Test Rider-Commuter Bikes.

www.merida.com.au
Blackrock
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:08 am
Location: Blacktown

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby eldavo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:38 pm

michael_w wrote:
kyap wrote:my commute bike...1999 GT converted to flat bar.
9.5kg
wish to put pannier rack but no eyelet :( :(

Image

You could always use some cable clamps to attach the rack to your frame. They are rubber coated/sleeved and protect your frame well from personal experience. They also come in various sizes and are available from auto parts dealers and probably electrical wholesalers as well.


I had two mounts on the dropout but no rack mounts on the seat stays.
I have a seat post clamp with rack mounts but the frame was too compact to make use of the forward brackets.
Because it was perfectly level butted up to the frame, I used Crescent 85Mpa tensile rated UV protected 4.8mm cable ties. to keep it hard up against the seat stays, one around each stay, and a central one from the rack grab handle to the merge of the stays as a looser fail-safe should anything let go with the main two cables. Photo of yesterday's luggage first day actually with this setup, I better go check it's hanging together now that I've posted to the internet about it =D

Image
eldavo
 
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby rangersac » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:02 pm

New (old!) commuter. Gone for the vintage steelie rebuild this time as I'm a bit over breaking alloy frames. Also setup as a bit of a credit card tourer so kinda overgeared, although you can often never have too low a granny in Tassie! A big thanks to all the forum members who contributed surplus parts for this one.

Image

Image
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
User avatar
rangersac
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Snug, Tasmania

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby kyap » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:55 am

Pannier rack is up with bag! :)

Image

The attachment using Tubus spares
Image

With bag...no more sweaty back :p
Image
~~Cervelo S2~~...Fast Ride Demanded....~~
User avatar
kyap
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby rheicel » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:55 am

^Nice rear rack...purely simple!
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:10 pm

This is my current commuter bike ... when I can commute that is :(

Image

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20153
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby Clownshoes » Mon May 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Loving that GT kyap!

Finished this off on the weekend with a new wheelset (some black TB14's with Origin 8 hubs) ready for the winter commuter cup series :)

Image
User avatar
Clownshoes
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:07 pm
Location: Perth, Straya

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby dinga78 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Heres mine...avanti inc 3 with some changes
Image
dinga78
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 12, 2014 10:12 pm

dinga78 wrote:Heres mine...avanti inc 3 with some changes


Likin' everything I'm seeing here. 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25812
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby rheicel » Mon May 12, 2014 10:18 pm

Just want to repost the image of my main commuter after some update.
Image
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby BeltDriven » Tue May 13, 2014 10:44 am

My new Inc 3
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
The gears don't slip now I've got it adjusted like this:
Image
User avatar
BeltDriven
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:07 pm

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby dinga78 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
dinga78 wrote:Heres mine...avanti inc 3 with some changes


Likin' everything I'm seeing here. 8)


heres the detail about the changes http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=74311
dinga78
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri May 23, 2014 12:24 am

minhyy wrote:Here's my commuter - 90s Shogun Samurai with 105 STI levers, 400ex cranks and RD, Suntour Cyclone FD and RX100 hubs laced to Araya rims. Had to improvise a bit to even fit the front fender on, and to have barely any clearance at the front. Approx 13kg plus my weight, one bidon, saddle bag and backpack

Image

Image
will replace eventually with some wider tyres, probably something in 25c


Dat dof!
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2278
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby ironhanglider » Wed May 28, 2014 2:05 pm

minhyy wrote:Here's my commuter - 90s Shogun Samurai with 105 STI levers, 400ex cranks and RD, Suntour Cyclone FD and RX100 hubs laced to Araya rims. Had to improvise a bit to even fit the front fender on, and to have barely any clearance at the front. Approx 13kg plus my weight, one bidon, saddle bag and backpack

Image

Image
will replace eventually with some wider tyres, probably something in 25c


Can you shorten the stays on (esp) the front mudguard? That might lift the front of it up a bit and make it less likely for you to kick the back of it at low speed.

I'm not convinced that you have enough clearance to go any wider in the tyres.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:44 pm
Location: Bruce, ACT

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Now updated with dyno hub and lights

Image

Image
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit