Rain pants - yay or nay?

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Rain pants - yay or nay?

Postby ve safari » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Fred Nurk wrote:
I've always wondered if its better to accept that your shoes get wet, and wear something like the Shimano SPD sandals instead.

So that explains it!!!!

Couple of weeks ago I'm riding with my mate on the M7 and we come accross this guy on a roadie with sandals on. We're sitting on 30~35km/h, and pass this guy. 5 minutes later we realise he's sitting behind us, not really drafting but keeping up, and all I can think of is how is he doing that wearing sandals! lol

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!
ve safari

by BNA » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 am

BNA

Postby Supe » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 am

Max wrote:Perhaps rain shorts or 3/4 pants might be the go. If it was just a matter of riding from A to B uninterrupted, I'd live with getting wet. The issue is that I have to stop and wait for a train (cold, windy) for 20 minutes, then sit around in a train (airconditioned/cold) for another 40-odd minutes.

+1 to disliking wet feet. I've got booties. I haven't had a chance to use them yet. I know they won't be 100% perfect, but it's got to be better than having saturated feet, right? :)

Max

You're too hard to be told HTFU. That's an insane commute. Not so much the cycling distance but that it requires a bike ride, waiting at train station, 40 minute commute on train then more riding. Rinse repeat to get home. heh. I thought I was a bit of alright when I road my heavy arse MTB to work during the monsoon for 16k's. An easy 32ks for the day. I realise now that I am a total softy.
Supe

Postby Max » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:53 am

Awww, supe, that's sweet. I did end up getting some Helter Skelter pants from Ground Effect. Of course, all the rain has dried up now! :roll: Never mind. They're light enough to stick in one of my backpack's pockets should I get caught out on a ride.

I tried my booties out the other day on a recreational ride. Five minutes into it, it started bucketing down. The booties survived about 30Km of pouring rain before my feet got wet. That's not too bad, methinks.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Fred Nurk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:10 pm

wombatK wrote:
Fred Nurk wrote:I've always wondered if its better to accept that your shoes get wet, and wear something like the Shimano SPD sandals instead. That way they dry easily, but you have to put up with the spray wetting your feet, and the fact you'll look like a retiree if you wear them with socks (knee high for the best image).

They've worked really well for me in Sydney's recent wet weather. Much easier than carrying overboots just in case it rains, and a real winner for cooling in summer heat. Shimano's sandals cover quite a lot of your foot, so you don't end up feeling spray on your feet - or even getting dirty. Nor do you get sunburned (I don't wear socks).

The only down side is you need to be tough enough to withstand the jibes about apostle's footwear and mock concern you've fallen into the hands of some strange cult.

I've seriously considered buying them for the monsoon up here, but haven't yet. I remember a Darwin MTB rider used to swear by them, which is why I remembered that they exist.

I've got Teva sandals, so already get the jibes about the great unwashed masses. I don't wear socks with them either, of course.
Fred Nurk

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:34 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I wrap my shoes in glad wrap before putting the covers on...the cleats will engage thru glad wrap no problem and you stay 100% dry even in real rain.I never have a problem with hot feet which helps.

Hi

Interesting suggestion. Must try that this winter. I am still trying to find a half decent set of overshoes.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Max wrote:I tried my booties out the other day on a recreational ride. Five minutes into it, it started bucketing down. The booties survived about 30Km of pouring rain before my feet got wet. That's not too bad, methinks.

Max

Hi Max

What booties are you using?

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Zynster » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:49 pm

Max wrote:Awww, supe, that's sweet. I did end up getting some Helter Skelter pants from Ground Effect. Of course, all the rain has dried up now! :roll: Never mind.

I bet you're glad you got them today. :wink:

I decided to catch a bus this morning. Sat at the stop for 15 minutes. The bus arrived. People got on. Bus left. I went home, got my bike and rode to work using the good old garbage bag trick. Did I mention I hate buses? My knees were wet but they dried pretty fast. The rest was dry. Mudguards rock.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross
Zynster

Postby Max » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:19 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Max wrote:I tried my booties out the other day on a recreational ride. Five minutes into it, it started bucketing down. The booties survived about 30Km of pouring rain before my feet got wet. That's not too bad, methinks.

Max

Hi Max

What booties are you using?

Andrew

They're Sugoi brand, but I don't know what model. I bought them at a LBS in Canberra a couple years ago for around $80.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Max » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Zynster wrote:
Max wrote:Awww, supe, that's sweet. I did end up getting some Helter Skelter pants from Ground Effect. Of course, all the rain has dried up now! :roll: Never mind.

I bet you're glad you got them today. :wink:

I decided to catch a bus this morning. Sat at the stop for 15 minutes. The bus arrived. People got on. Bus left. I went home, got my bike and rode to work using the good old garbage bag trick. Did I mention I hate buses? My knees were wet but they dried pretty fast. The rest was dry. Mudguards rock.

I didn't get to use them today :( I'm in Sydney all week :( :( :(

Good work on avoiding bus travel. I'm not a fan of buses in peak hour.

Max
Max

Postby wombatK » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:38 pm

Max wrote:I didn't get to use them today :( I'm in Sydney all week :( :( :(

So u da man that brung all the rain for the week :evil:

Should've at least brought your bike and wet weather gear so you could really feel at home. :)

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:47 pm

With the forecast of lots of rain for March, I decided to order a pair of these: Vaude Spray Pants

They weren't in stock so the order from 14th Feb did not arrive until 4th March (yesterday). This evening was miserable wet weather in Sydney - perfect opportunity to test them in an hour of steady rain (5 mm rainfall in the hour, temp 22 deg C). They performed brilliantly.

I opted for these because they had a published breathability and waterproof rating. Specifically MVTR of 15,000 g/m2/24h for breathability, and 15,000 mm min water column (see wikipedia for explanation of ratings).

Other breathable fabrics I've tried had MVTR ratings around 5,000 g/m2/24h, and were acceptable. These are very much better. Whatever you make of these numbers, I've tried my own simple practical test: Covering my mouth with the fabric and breathing in through it met much less resistance than the breathable fabric in my jackets.

Once I got over about 15 kph, I could feel the effects of the ventilation. They are really cool when riding. Moreover, when I stopped for 10 minutes at the shops, I didn't "sweat-up". Excellent.

After the hour, my knicks, and legs were bone dry. Using torpedo7 rain booties plus my usual silicone sealant on the cleats, meant my feet were bone dry too. The pants come with a small draw-string bag so they're easy to pack in your panniers or back-pack - very suitable for commuters.

I'm very pleased with them and would recommend them highly to anyone still considering what to buy. A yay++.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby Max » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:56 am

That's a great review, Wombat, thanks for that! I'm back in Brisbane today and it is raining steadily. My plan is to get kitted out in my Ground Effect rain gear and go for a loooooong ride (seeing as I put on 1.6Kg whilst in Sydney :evil: ). I'll let you all know how it goes!

Max
Max

Postby ngalbrai » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:32 am

Having commuted for 5 years in London in all weathers and temperatures into the minus figures I can give you an emphatic NO on the waterproof trousers. Not only, as others have said do they retain sweat but they are also a bit bulky and uncomfortable. I used to use Ronhill bikesters, they aren’t water proof but even when wet they keep your legs warm, they dry in no time, in extreme cold, wear two pairs….

I have never owned overshoes that really do the trick, great tip for drying shoes, rather than hot air is to pack them as tightly as you can with newspaper/hand towels, leave for couple hours, remove and repeat, the paper draws all the water out of the shoes – keep spare socks at work!

They look dorky but full mudguards were essential in the UK, much of the getting wet is from road spray and proper mudguards eliminate this. (I took them off when I got to Sydney as I felt like a dag).

Generally speaking unless you are cold then just get wet, better than marinating in your own sweat.

Oh, just spotted your comment about waiting for the train – makes it a tricky one, makes my advice redundant… Shimano sandals, waterproof shorts and a towel…?
ngalbrai

Postby queequeg » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:09 pm

After riding in the rain over the last few weeks, I decided to buy some rainlegs from Wiggle. They should be here next week. I found that riding home in the rain was fine, except that my shorts got soaked and became heavy and stuck to my legs. Very uncomfortable! I didn't care so much about getting a wet jersey as it was still quite warm. For cool weather riding in the rain I have my Endura Gridlock jacket, but that is too heavy for Australian summers.
Hopefully the rainlegs will give me the upper leg protection I need without making the rest of me into a sweatbox!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Rainlegs have done the trick for me on the three occasions I've had to use them so far.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Max » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:47 am

Well, the Helter Skelters seem to do the job very nicely. I've actually been hoping for rain so that I could use them! A couple weeks ago, my wish came true. I stepped outside to ride to the station and it was bucketing down. I whipped the HS's on. Very easy to do over my bike shoes due to the large leg opening. A bit of adjustment of the velcro, and I was off! Some observations:

* They're noisy. I anticipated this, but it's sometimes a little distracting. If it's really pouring down, you won't hear it over the rain anyway.
* They cover my knees nicely, which keeps them warm.
* If you don't do up the velcro tapers at the bottom of the leg, all the dreck kicked up from the road will go flying up your pants. Do the legs up properly!

I got to the station reasonably dry. Yes, you will sweat in these, and yes, you'll get wet from the sweat. I noted that my shorts and chamois, whilst not dry, were not wetter than they would've been from normal riding (when it's not raining). They were a little damp from sweat, as they usually are, but no more than that. My conclusion is that the HS's kept me dry from the elements. I arrived at the train station nice and toasty. I removed the HS's and was comfortably dry waiting for the train. Job done! :D

Max
Max

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:46 am

Tested out the Rainlegs today on the way to work in the pouring rain...big thumbs up!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:06 pm

wombatK wrote:With the forecast of lots of rain for March, I decided to order a pair of these: Vaude Spray Pants

Curious to know if you are still using these and how they are going.

Thanks
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby wombatK » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Aushiker wrote:
wombatK wrote:With the forecast of lots of rain for March, I decided to order a pair of these: Vaude Spray Pants

Curious to know if you are still using these and how they are going.

Thanks
Andrew

Yes, still using them and they're performing brilliantly. Used them in 2 hours continuous rain last Friday week, with nothing getting wet underneath - either from rain or sweat.

Cheers
WombatK

wombatK

Postby CommuRider » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:56 pm

I have a pair of the Vaude too...nearing 9 mths now. Pretty effective, dries easily and the velcro straps are great. I liked it so much I got a spare.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:23 am

wombatK wrote:Yes, still using them and they're performing brilliantly. Used them in 2 hours continuous rain last Friday week, with nothing getting wet underneath - either from rain or sweat.

Thanks. Looks like Wiggle are no longer carrying them and Bike24.net is the only online source I found.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby wombatK » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:34 am

Aushiker wrote:
Thanks. Looks like Wiggle are no longer carrying them and Bike24.net is the only online source I found.

Andrew

Wiggle have been dropping lots of good stuff. Shame really. But there's also these

http://www.ubergear.co.uk/cycle/legwear ... g-trousers

and

http://www.bobshop.de/en/Men-s/Cycling- ... 2c134d42bf
WombatK

wombatK

Postby Max » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:44 am

I love zombie threads :D

I've had the Ground Effect 3/4 rain pants for a while now. I've had the opportunity to wear them in day-long rain and full-on torrential downpours. It's quite good at keeping the water out, but it has its limitations. Breathability is not all that it could be. I find that the sweat on my knees causes the material to stick to my knees, which in turn causes the fabric to pull and becomes uncomfortable. My solution to this has been to cinch the bottom of the pants above my knees, rather than under them. It creates a billowing effect, much like this:

You can understand why it's a look I'd rather not have to "rock". :?

Do they do the job? Absolutely. Could they do the job better? I think so. Am I glad I bought them? Definitely. I'd give them a 7.5/10.

Max
Max

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:57 am

wombatK wrote:Wiggle have been dropping lots of good stuff. Shame really. But there's also these

http://www.ubergear.co.uk/cycle/legwear ... g-trousers

and

http://www.bobshop.de/en/Men-s/Cycling- ... 2c134d42bf

Thanks. Ubergear don't appear to deduct the VAT and charge 20.00 pounds for shipping ... ouch.

Bob is about the same price as Bike24.net. Just slightly dearer due to the postage.

I will give it some thought. The alternative is Showers Pass Convertible pants [about $120 plus postage from http://bicyclinghub.com ] or Endura Superlite pants at around $84 + postage.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby wombatK » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Aushiker wrote:I will give it some thought. The alternative is Showers Pass Convertible pants [about $120 plus postage from http://bicyclinghub.com ] or Endura Superlite pants at around $84 + postage.

Andrew

Showers Pass stuff gets good reports from others here - il padrone is a big fan. Some of the convertible ones seem to have a variety of fabrics (e.g. lycra zip-off bottoms ?), so you might need to check details of each model. Specs on the Endura ones look okay - fairly similar to the Vaude ones, in specs and in price.
WombatK

wombatK

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting