Pannier organisation

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Pannier organisation

Postby eeksll » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Hello all,

just wandering what idea people have with organising their panniers. I tend to just throw everything in there small stuff like wallets and keys just end up at the bottom then i spends ages with my hand in my pannier just rummaging round and round and round for what I want.

And I only have the front roller plus ortlieb, cant even imagine what its like with the full size panniers.

interested in hearing what people do about that.
eeksll

by BNA » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:58 pm

BNA

Re: Pannier organisation

Postby queequeg » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:58 pm

I use Kathmandu Packing Cells of varying sizes, then just throw the whole lot into the Ortlieb panniers. Works a treat!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby kukamunga » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:42 am

Pack small, heavy dense stuff low and forward - keep your weight and centre of gravity low and central. If touring / camping, and if your bags are waterproof, I just stuff sleeping bag and tent straight into the bottom of the pannier as tight as I can get it, filling all corners. Keep food and liquids separate from clothing and bedding. Keep stove fuel away from everything (external pocket / bidon cage ?)
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby simonn » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:22 am

Use plastic bags to separate stuff, e.g. one for clothes, one for lunch, one for wallet, keys & phone etc
simonn

Postby banjo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:03 pm

I use Orlieb Classics. Typically I'll run rears and fronts on tour. Sometimes I'll also use the handlebar bag.

Organisation is everything. Weight distribution advise will depend on who you talk to. I work on keeping about 40% of weight up front.

As far as small regularly used items go, keep them in one place where they can be accessed. Wallet, phone & nic nacs can go in a bag and put at the top of one panier or if you use a handlebar bag, in there. This stuff will only end up at the bottom if you let it.

Pack stuff exactly the same way every time and you will be able to find what you need in the dark if need be.
banjo

Return to Commuting