Bell gripe

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Bell gripe

Postby neild » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:44 pm

I always try to 'ding' my bell a couple of times as I approach people on the bike as a warning and also yell 'passing' or similar as I pass. And I always say thank you as I pass regardless of whether they acknowledge me or not. It makes me feel right either way.

I was actually talking to someone at work today and said that I feel safer riding on the road than bike paths. For my 23km commute I could do 90% on bike paths, however I do the opposite and do 90% on roads. Admittidly I ride out of the city so basically against the traffic and also have on-road bike lanes, but the attitude of other users of the bike paths scars me. The number of people I see either riding too fast, without lights, without any care for others is incredible.

It's not just commuting either.As a family we often walk along Merri Creek to the Collingwood Childrens Farm on the weekend (with a pram) and the number of people that don't indicate either by bell or yelling that they are overtaking is incredible. I have now taken to yelling out to them as they pass as it makes me so angry.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie
neild

Previous

Return to Commuting