Some days are diamonds....some days are not...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Some days are diamonds....some days are not...

Postby rdp_au » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:04 pm

We are coming into the best time of year for commuting in Sydney. The hot, dense, humidity of summer is giving way to cooler autumn skies. Mornings at this time of year can be magical. Alas, this morning was not one of them.. I was bit later leaving than normal, which meant more traffic to contend with. A neatly executed cut-off and blast of the horn from a tradesman in the ubiquitous ute within a couple of kilometres from home set the scene for the trip. Traffic was banking up and sections I could normally flow through were painfully slow. Rounded a corner on a shared path around Eastwood to find it covered in wet grass clippings from the council workers who were assiduously cutting the grass and blocking the path in the process. Several pedestrians appeared determined not to break their stride when crossing the road, preferring to walk in front of me instead. A rubbish lorry pulled out in front of a hapless van and nearly pushed it, and me, onto the wrong side of the road.

Despite all this, I managed to arrive at Rhodes Bridge unscathed. Breathing a sigh of relief, I settled in for the pleasant and scenic last few kilometres over the bridge and through the park to my destination at Sydney Olympic Park. I was sharply pulled from my reverie by the screech of brakes as the car that had just passed me slewed sideways attempting to avoid running into the car in front of it. I was beginning to wonder if I’d run over a black cat.

Still, when I pulled into the carpark at work, I had that familiar feeling of satisfaction that comes from knowing that I had made the journey consuming no other resources than my own. And that’s a good thing.

Looking forward to the trip home.

Rds,

David
rdp_au

by BNA » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:24 pm

BNA

Re: Some days are diamonds....some days are not...

Postby Boognoss » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:24 pm

Hope your commute home was a good one. I had a super run of green lights through North Ryde where I can add 3-4 mins to my door to door time with waiting and traffic was well-behaved. :D
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby rdp_au » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:25 am

Well, didn't ride home last night, as I was in the city in the afternoon and it was quicker to catch a direct train from there. We'll see how it goes tonight. After my grumpiness yesterday, it's worth remembering a recent 'diamond' day where I did the entire trip without stopping at all. Got every green light, and even crossing the Pacific Highway onto Kissing Point Road at Turrumurra worked out perfectly.

As an aside, have you noticed that there seems to be less traffic on Friday mornings?

Rds,

David
rdp_au

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:05 am

rdp_au wrote: to my destination at Sydney Olympic Park.

So David, where in SOP do you work? I've just moved workplace to the new building on Australia Ave. (right near the train station)

I used to live in Eastwood so would have been doing the same commute as you , but have moved to North Parramatta now.

p.s. Diamond morning for me today. Nice and cool, saw 8 cute little bunny rabbits by the Uni Campus on the river. No wind. Beautiful orange/red sunrise.
thomashouseman

Postby rdp_au » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:23 am

I'm at CBA, right opposite your building. If you wave, I'll probably see you.
rdp_au

Postby goneriding » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 am

Iron Cove was awesome this morning! the water was like a sheet of glass and with the pre dawn light and various electric lights looked unreal. A little on the chilly side though.
goneriding

Postby roller » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:11 pm

today was not a diamond.

it was a lump of coal.

got to the work bike shed after work to discover someone had bashed my front wheel and broken a spoke on my bike, it was bent in half.

spokie brokie :x :cry:
roller

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Looking forward to getting my bike back from the insurer next week, so at least one day next week is guaranteed to be a good 'un.

New seat, new bars, new pedals and seatpost, nice new shifter covers and new panniers. I've elected to trade off some of the other damaged items for a Garmin 705 that will come in handy over the school hols as my youngster and I explore some new trails.

If I was younger, I'd be saying "w00t!" 8) but that would be a departure from the decorum appropriate for one's age. Ahem! :wink:

Hasn't the weather been perfect!
trailgumby

Postby rdp_au » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:53 am

Maybe not a diamond, but definitely a gemstone day today. Left a little earlier - it was darker, but the traffic certainly flowed more smoothly. Ayups in flash mode can be quite mesmerising in the morning gloom as pulses of light are reflected back from every signpost and shiney surface. Weather was cool, with just a few spots of rain. Not too much debris on the road after the wind last night.

All in all, a much more pleasant start to the day than battling with the Monday morning throngs queuing for a railway ticket.

Rds,

David
rdp_au

Return to Commuting