Cars vs Cyclists vs Pedestrians

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Cars vs Cyclists vs Pedestrians

Postby 2wheels » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:42 am

Just want to know who you have the most grief with? Cars, other cyclists, or pedestrians?
2wheels

by BNA » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:41 am

BNA

Re: Cars vs Cyclists vs Pedestrians

Postby Cinder » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:41 am

Hard to say really, people walk and drive in the same way, eg, on the phone and completely oblivious to their surronds.

That said, I recently had the misfortune of commuting along the part of the capital city trail between the city and Hawthorn at 5:30. To put it in a family friendly way, the speeds and overtaking some of the cyclists were doing along there was a bit rich.
*** insert signature here ***
Cinder

Postby queequeg » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:28 am

Pedestrians on separated shared paths that can't read, and insist on walking in the "Bicycles Only" sections. In the last few weeks I have encountered some mothers with their double-width prams walking two abreast up the middle of the dedicated green painted "Bicycles Only" sections of the Epping Rd (Sydney) Shared Path and blocking all Bicycle access in both directions, despite the fact there is a footpath right next to it.
I get a bit nervous giving pedestrians like this any warning with the bell. I mean, if they can't read then who knows what they will do when they hear a bell! Actually, most don't hear the ball anyway because they are listening to their iPods or are on the phone. One reason I prefer riding on the road where possible.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Hi

Cyclists .... which is one of the reasons I prefer to take to the coast on my regular commute to work, rather than the northern PSP. At least on the coast I can ride the road for most of it.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Bruce » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:55 am

queequeg wrote:Pedestrians on separated shared paths that can't read, and insist on walking in the "Bicycles Only sections
Happens allot along hay street in subiaco
Orbea Euskaltel ;Dura-Ace,Ultegra
Orbea Erandio-Hybrid
Catlike helmet
Bruce

Postby stevepedlin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:51 am

I don't even ride the popular shared paths around here anymore, the pedestrian/cycle factor makes it a bit of a liability I'm afraid, not to mention all the broken glass on the lumpy paths.

So, cars are the major concern i 'spose, though all three are a constant and major concern anywhere, and pedestrians are the most vulnerable users.
stevepedlin

Postby wombatK » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:31 am

Cars first, daylight second. Staying alive on Sydney roads needs constant vigilance, with death an ever-present threat. Peds on shared paths are comparatively benign - very unlikely to kill you (maybe the opposite). Very rare for another cyclist to bother me.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby familyguy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:11 am

wombatK wrote:Cars first, daylight second.

+1. Daylight is getting to that stage of being dangerous right about now. Sunlight into drivers eyes + the end of a day = take extra care. I've had no issues the last few weeks, but I decided that yesterday was my last commute at least until the sun has set when I leave work. I generally ride east, coming out of the sun, so I know people cant see me that well. I dont like low sun angles.

Though there was the guy who went through the red light at Seaforth last night, and caused the driver of the car stopped next to me to have a go at me for it.

Jim
familyguy

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:16 am

familyguy wrote:Though there was the guy who went through the red light at Seaforth last night, and caused the driver of the car stopped next to me to have a go at me for it. Jim

Hi

Why did he do that or rather why did he think it was your fault?

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby familyguy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:36 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Regards
Andrew

Just tarring with the same brush. It was convenient to have words at me, seeing as I'd stopped and the other boke didnt. We had been riding line astern for a few hundred meters, so the driver might've assumed I knew the bloke. He wasnt about to go beating anyone up, just commenting on general lack of law-abiding behaviour by select members of the cycling fraternity. I told him what I thought of red-light running bikes, welcomed his input, and helpfully noted that I'd obeyed the rules.

I had my BNA jersey on, so I was extra well behaved.

Though next time I see a white Falcon station wagon I'm gonna go off cause arent they all the same?

Jim
familyguy

Postby duncanm » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:57 pm

familyguy wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Hi

Regards
Andrew

Just tarring with the same brush. It was convenient to have words at me, seeing as I'd stopped and the other boke didnt. We had been riding line astern for a few hundred meters, so the driver might've assumed I knew the bloke. He wasnt about to go beating anyone up, just commenting on general lack of law-abiding behaviour by select members of the cycling fraternity. I told him what I thought of red-light running bikes, welcomed his input, and helpfully noted that I'd obeyed the rules.

I had my BNA jersey on, so I was extra well behaved.

Jim

That didn't stop the dude in front of me running a red in Hunters Hill the other day... Botany Randwick.

I cruised up to the light and it changed soon after.. then caught him 200m up the road.. why did he bother, other than to aggravate people?
duncanm

Postby simonn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:56 pm

I've had a cyclist crash head on into me at speed on a cycle track and put me in hospital with a concussion (briefly and with no lasting damage, to me), both wheels needed fixing - new rim on front and shifters needed replacing, and had a month off the bike.

I've had a pedestrian walk out in front of me from behind a truck on a back street, causing me to go over the bars and roll down the street for 5-10 meters. Front wheel needed fixing (new rim again) and that's about it. Went to hospital for a check up, but back on my bike 3 days later (have a spare wheelset :)), 2 days of which were the weekend anyway.

I've had a stick come out of nowhere on a cycle track (in fact I am only basing the fact that it was a stick on the available evidence) and stop my front wheel causing me to go over the bars breaking my wrist and giving me a very cool people scaring shiner. Need(ed) to true my wheels and replace a spoke on the front. Off the bike for 3 weeks and counting :(.

Never had physical grief from a car or driver.

From this I can conclude that that the enemies of the cyclist are, in descending order...

Cycle tracks
Other cyclists
Sticks (maybe)
Pedestrians
Back streets

Counter intuitive or what?
simonn

Postby ngalbrai » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:36 pm

simonn, bad news on the wrist, I did mine a couple years ago and it was a total pain, didn't set right so had to have it rebroken and pinned... Next time try to break a long bone not a joint huh... they heal much better...
ngalbrai

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:01 am

Aushiker wrote: Why did he do that or rather why did he think it was your fault?

i'll take a stab at that. because despite the advent of political correctness, stereotyping is hardwired into many people's brains.
jules21

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:56 am

jules21 wrote:
Aushiker wrote: Why did he do that or rather why did he think it was your fault?

i'll take a stab at that. because despite the advent of political correctness, stereotyping is hardwired into many people's brains.

Fair point. It is pretty evident here too at times, so should have known.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Return to Commuting