Increased police "presence" around Docklands and St Kilda Rd

rkelsen

Increased police "presence" around Docklands and St Kilda Rd

Postby rkelsen » Tue May 04, 2010 9:52 am

I dunno if they were around last week, but this week I've seen them on both days so far.

They're on bikes and on the lookout for cyclists that cross against the lights, (while apparently ignoring pedestrians that do the same... :roll: )

Saw a guy get pulled over without a helmet yesterday.

There are more cops around this week than I've seen for the whole year to date.

jules21

Re: Increased police "presence" around Docklands and St Kild

Postby jules21 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:20 am

i consider that i make an effort to follow the road rules, but crossing against the red man is something i can't stop myself from doing. i restrain myself on major intersections, but there are so many where you get held back for upto 3 or even 5 minutes at roads where there is minimal traffic - it's legal to cross where there isn't a set of lights - how does it become dangerous when a set of lights are installed? it doesn't make sense.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Tue May 04, 2010 10:50 am

The law for pedestrians, at least, says you're not allowed to cross within 20 meters of a signalled crossing unless you have a green signal. So just move 20 meters up the road (not riding on the footpath, of course) and you're all good. :D
- Dave

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Tue May 04, 2010 4:01 pm

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed May 05, 2010 12:06 pm

RVM, care to explain your avatar????? :roll:

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Wed May 12, 2010 1:16 pm

rustychisel wrote:RVM, care to explain your avatar????? :roll:
no

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:29 pm

rearviewmirror wrote:
no
Thats actually a picture of elmo

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 12, 2010 2:17 pm

rearviewmirror wrote:
no
:lol:

Andrew

alexander

Postby alexander » Fri May 14, 2010 9:18 pm

actually wish they'd been around this week, I counted about 14-15 instances of people jumping reds in the dockland area. What happened to enjoying the ride? I;m sorry, but it's not the race you might think it is. Funny part is I always catch them, so maybe they do need the head start...

Anyways karma on you red jumpers, and yes thats me giving you an earful. "BLOODY IDIOT!"
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Thu May 20, 2010 11:55 am

alexander wrote:actually wish they'd been around this week, I counted about 14-15 instances of people jumping reds in the dockland area. What happened to enjoying the ride? I;m sorry, but it's not the race you might think it is. Funny part is I always catch them, so maybe they do need the head start...

Anyways karma on you red jumpers, and yes thats me giving you an earful. "BLOODY IDIOT!"

Don't let 'em wind you up, just ignore their antics, much like you whilst driving a car and you see others doing wrong. Live and let live.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu May 20, 2010 12:42 pm

rearviewmirror wrote:
alexander wrote:actually wish they'd been around this week, I counted about 14-15 instances of people jumping reds in the dockland area. What happened to enjoying the ride? I;m sorry, but it's not the race you might think it is. Funny part is I always catch them, so maybe they do need the head start...

Don't let 'em wind you up, just ignore their antics, much like you whilst driving a car and you see others doing wrong. Live and let live.
Eventually this fails. The local bus interchange is gone, and the redirected bus traffic has been screaming past our office building for months, getting faster and faster, running the orange light and now occasionally the red, and taking liberties with the pedestrian crossing out the front of the building. Three weeks ago a staff member ended up in intensive care with multiple fractures and head injuries when she made the mistake of using the pedestrian crossing and got hit by a speeding bus. And don't even get me started on cars speeding in 40km/h road work and school zones, which the police rarely enforce.

You have to have SOME enforcement, because failure to enforce the laws effectively makes them invalid. I'd love to see a blitz once a month to remind people that there are LAWS which exist for the good of all.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Mon May 24, 2010 3:02 pm

twizzle wrote:
rearviewmirror wrote:

Eventually this fails. The local bus interchange is gone, and the redirected bus traffic has been screaming past our office building for months, getting faster and faster, running the orange light and now occasionally the red, and taking liberties with the pedestrian crossing out the front of the building. Three weeks ago a staff member ended up in intensive care with multiple fractures and head injuries when she made the mistake of using the pedestrian crossing and got hit by a speeding bus. And don't even get me started on cars speeding in 40km/h road work and school zones, which the police rarely enforce.

You have to have SOME enforcement, because failure to enforce the laws effectively makes them invalid. I'd love to see a blitz once a month to remind people that there are LAWS which exist for the good of all.
Speeding and running reds in a car or bus puts OTHER people at risk, doing it on a bicycle puts YOU at risk. There is a difference.

MiG

Postby MiG » Mon May 24, 2010 7:00 pm

Did you know that noticing the red man a bit late and stopping in the median strip in Docklands gets you a $300 fine? I'm amazed that it's so much. My boss who's against running red lights, accidentally followed another commuter halfway across the road and they got done. I can't believe that a truck or tram intentionally running a red (oh yeah, it happens; when I'm on the motorbike I have to watch out for those arseholes) through a busy intersection would get the same fine.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon May 24, 2010 11:19 pm

rearviewmirror wrote: Speeding and running reds in a car or bus puts OTHER people at risk, doing it on a bicycle puts YOU at risk. There is a difference.
The problem is always that if they see you do it they might think it's ok. It's one rule for all, not one rule for them but "I'm a cyclist and that makes me different so I can break the rule/laws"
That,s the same excuses every law breaker in every category uses, and I'm sorry but as far as I am concerned it's a load of rubbish that people use to try and get there own way. :shock: :roll:
That's why there's people dieing on our roads all the time. :(

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue May 25, 2010 10:32 am

MiG wrote:Did you know that noticing the red man a bit late and stopping in the median strip in Docklands gets you a $300 fine? I'm amazed that it's so much. My boss who's against running red lights, accidentally followed another commuter halfway across the road and they got done. I can't believe that a truck or tram intentionally running a red (oh yeah, it happens; when I'm on the motorbike I have to watch out for those arseholes) through a busy intersection would get the same fine.
Maybe your boss just learnt an expensive lesson that will save his life one day by enuring that he doesn't "Accidentally" follow another commuter halfway across the road again. Its worth taking some responsibility for your own safety. It sounds harsh, but there often isn't a second chance when you get hit by a car, bus or tram while daydreaming.

WorkingClassHero

Postby WorkingClassHero » Tue May 25, 2010 10:44 am

rearviewmirror wrote:
Speeding and running reds in a car or bus puts OTHER people at risk, doing it on a bicycle puts YOU at risk. There is a difference.
Rubbish. What if vehicles have to take avoiding action? Of course you're putting others at risk.
Alan

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Tue May 25, 2010 12:57 pm

WorkingClassHero wrote:
rearviewmirror wrote:
Rubbish. What if vehicles have to take avoiding action? Of course you're putting others at risk.

"What if" is a very compelling argument. Should we bring up pedestrians again? :roll:

WorkingClassHero

Postby WorkingClassHero » Tue May 25, 2010 1:20 pm

In this case it is. You running red lights on a bike is putting others at risk. Fact.
Alan

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Tue May 25, 2010 1:25 pm

WorkingClassHero wrote:You running red lights on a bike is putting others at risk. Fact.
Of course it is. Just look at the case of the pedestrian killed in Melbourne a few years back when the Hell Ride group ran through a red.

However, it absolutely poses much less danger to others than running a red light in a car.
- Dave

MiG

Postby MiG » Tue May 25, 2010 2:49 pm

banjo wrote:Maybe your boss just learnt an expensive lesson that will save his life one day by enuring that he doesn't "Accidentally" follow another commuter halfway across the road again.
I agree with what you're saying but the only thing missed was the crossing light. He checked for traffic.

WorkingClassHero wrote: In this case it is. You running red lights on a bike is putting others at risk. Fact.
Leaving home puts you and others at risk. Factually correct but irrelevant.
So let's consider probability and consequences before we get carried away with absolutes.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 26, 2010 8:49 pm

MiG wrote:
banjo wrote:Maybe your boss just learnt an expensive lesson that will save his life one day by enuring that he doesn't "Accidentally" follow another commuter halfway across the road again.
I agree with what you're saying but the only thing missed was the crossing light. He checked for traffic.

WorkingClassHero wrote: In this case it is. You running red lights on a bike is putting others at risk. Fact.
So let's consider probability and consequences before we get carried away with absolutes.
Waste of time MiG, too many people believe in absolutes as propounded by government and media, it saves them having to think for themselves.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

WorkingClassHero

Postby WorkingClassHero » Wed May 26, 2010 11:04 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
MiG wrote:

Waste of time MiG, too many people believe in absolutes as propounded by government and media, it saves them having to think for themselves.

Shaun
So a bike running a red light is irrelevant to this discussion? Doesn't the air get a bit thin up on your high horse? :roll:
Alan

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Thu May 27, 2010 10:09 am

I'm with WorkingClassHero on this one. Unless I've missed something I don't get the comparing leaving home with running red lights.
Also the argument about only putting yourself at risk while running red light ignores the issue of what happens to the driver who might accidentally hit you because you have ran a red light? Ever spoken to someone who has been involved in an accident and where not at fault? I have, even though its not their fault in can still haunt them for years.

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Thu May 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Following the laws/rules on a bicycles doesn't necessarily mean your safety is guaranteed either. This excerpt from the Cyclists Manifesto sums it up well.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 28, 2010 7:03 pm

WorkingClassHero wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:SNIP

Shaun
So a bike running a red light is irrelevant to this discussion? Doesn't the air get a bit thin up on your high horse? :roll:
Ooooh, struck a nerve?

For the record. IMO, ALL uncaring red light runners deserve an absolute hiding regardless of the number of wheels or legs they use to do so.
What I will always refuse to accept is the unthinking premise that absolute adherence to "the rules" will make for a perfect world. You are free to do so, it'll be me visiting you in casualty, not the other way 'round.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011