Who has gone all in?

barefoot

Re: Who has gone all in?

Postby barefoot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:25 pm

misterhorsey wrote:Yeah, that's basically my thinking Tim. A car is convenient (except where there's traffic), but at what cost? The sums didn't add up anymore.

I'm near Dennis station btw.
Ah, a little bit further from Preston... but still within easy riding distance of any number of cars whenever you need them.
I was just off Separation St, near Northcote Station.
One issue is the odd occasion when I get sick. Can be hard to address one's food needs you're passed out in bed!
That's when you can feel quite justified in using one of those other rent-a-cars... the yellow ones that come with a driver.

Or, if you really CBF leaving home, supermarkets do deliveries, for a relatively trivial fee (in the context of car ownership costs).

As in my post above... just rego and insurance adds up to $20/week. So, one car rental day and $20 worth of taxis every month, and you're still ahead.

tim

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Yes good point.

I'm already ahead anyway by not using my car. I think I filled up the tank about 3 months ago. It cost $40 or so, which wasn't a big deal. But now that I don't ever dip into my wallet for petrol, it seems outrageous that I ever did. These costs become habitual more than anything.

Not the biggest fan of taxis, but I guess its a ride, its relatively cheap and there's absolutely no ongoing costs!

Alternatively, I could start a Melbourne Commuter Cyclist Soup Making Collective For Commuter Cyclists Who Might be Feeling Under-the-Weather. Who's in?

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:59 am

We went all in when we moved to Singapore in December. The thought of not having a car disturbed my wife until we looked at car prices here. We deliberately chose to live near a bus route, and there plenty of those. With a bit of careful planning you can get anywhere on the island by public transport. It just takes a lot more time but probably costs less than $3. However if you can find an available taxi they are cheap - I live roughly the same distance here to the city as I did at home in Sydney. The trip here is under $20 while at home it is more than $50.

Roadie

Postby Roadie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:06 pm

I quit my job that supplied a company ute 2yrs ago and I thought I'll just see how I go without a car and its been great. I hire a car if I have relies coming up otherwise a taxi on the odd occasion. Public transport here is pretty poor. I have trailer I tow for shopping etc. townsville is flat and fairly small and summer rain cools you down. A freind visited recently and wanted to drive down to the beach for a coffee, it seemed ridiculous to go a short way in a car, I'm so used to just jumping on the bike.

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:13 am

I commute to work (56k round trip) 4 days per week.. (in all types of weather) when I drop my son to kindy I leave the car at kindy and ride to work (40k round trip) - free parking!!!! this week my hamstring was playing up so I donned the Actionman outfit and rode the bus to work.... found myself peering out the window of the bus missing the ride to work... yep it's all about the BIKE!!!

nice ride on Canberra's wet roads :twisted:

http://www.strava.com/activities/78539887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Well.. after 6 years of being essentially car-free (I bought a Suzuki Jimny to use for 2 weeks while on holidays and then sold it) I am finally going back to the darkside.

Just bought a Long Wheel Base Mitsubishi Delica 4x4 van which is a monster of a thing. 14L/100km, maybe 12/100 if I go really easy on the highway and have a tailwind.

It's only going to be used every few weeks for camping trips though, so I'll still be riding to work every day of the week, rain hail or shine. It's just way too massive, thirsty and expensive to maintain to use any more than that right now.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

sorted

Postby sorted » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:14 am

Not quite all in, but we went from 2 cars to 1 in November when we moved to Australia and haven't looked back. We've gone from racking up 1000-1200km per week between two cars to under 1000km per month in one.

I've really enjoyed getting back into cycling to work, Perth's excellent climate and public transport (compared to the UK) has helped, as I can easily get the train if necessary, my kids walk to school and we only really use the car at weekends.

All in all it's been a very positive experience. We've saved heaps on fuel, tyres and maintenance. I'm now the same weight as I was when I was 18 and am fitter than I have been in years. The only downside has been that many of my clothes now no longer fit!

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Sun May 25, 2014 8:39 pm

All in now, but considering buying a car. Due to a total oxygen thief of a tax driver I came far to lose for comfort to missing a postgraduate exam...

Also would increase range to start participating in events...

But then the loss of $$...

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:05 am

Got rid of our 2nd car a few years ago as we really didn't need to keep it. At the time I was commuting (bike & train) but now I work pretty local (only 8km) so I ride rain or shine.

So we have the bus (yes really, a ford transit bus) that MoM uses to cart the many around, I have a motorbike part way through a resto... just sits it the driveway and a whole bunch of bicycles.

It was a bit of pain recently when the bus needed some major work and was out of action for a few days but we managed (I took it to the mechanics with a bike inside then rode the rest of the way to work- reverse to pick it up) MoM borrowed a friends car to take some of the many where they needed to go.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish