Beating the cold

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Beating the cold

Postby murrum » Fri May 14, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi all,

I've been commuting since December and am loving it. However, on this morning's ride, I realised that a temperature change is upon us.

Just wondering what people think are the essentials in beating the cold on the early morning commute?

And yes, I know I live in Brisbane so its not that cold, but remember, its all relative.

Thx in advance.
murrum

by BNA » Fri May 14, 2010 6:03 pm

BNA

Re: Beating the cold

Postby Kneedown » Fri May 14, 2010 6:03 pm

I use a very light thermal baselayer and long sleeve jersey.

You can also get fleece lined long sleeve cycling jerseys which are great for the early morning chill.

Bianchi Sempre Chorus 11 project completed!
Avanti Blade Sport for not so sunny days
Kneedown

Postby hung » Fri May 14, 2010 6:06 pm

got myself some

armwarmers
knee warmers
assos robocap
and Gordano make a base layer which is very warm
and wind proof
Colnago C59 for the long road
Cervelo S2 for the short road
GT Carbon Pro for the mountain
Kono Kula deluxe / slicks for the foot paths
Cannondale dually for the big stuff

hung

Postby ruscook » Fri May 14, 2010 6:21 pm

I went out at 530am this morning in western sydney.
a bonds cotton thermal type shirt
cycling shirt
3 sheets of newspaper (thanks BMX Bandito)
Arm warmers
beany/hat whatever under helmet
good warm / waterproof gloves
booty covers (keep the wind out).
Got some tights from CELL on special and they are better than Knicks/legwarmer combo.

Was cool but not freezing and I was out for just over 2hrs this morning.
Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad
ruscook

Postby Cinder » Fri May 14, 2010 6:28 pm

I ride to work in my work clothes (pants and shirt) with a vest or big jacket over the top and winter some gloves...

I only need to ride 3km to get to work though (assuming I ride directly there)...

:mrgreen:
*** insert signature here ***
Cinder

Postby nickobec » Fri May 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Been on holidays for week, but prior to that wool mix short sleeve jersey and arm warmers (winter ones which last half my 42km commute in). One day did wear a light thermal base layer, I regretted it, a little too early in the season.

From next week, I expect the minimum to be:
sleeveless light thermal base layer, wool mix short sleeve jersey, arm warmers and bib shorts
but to that I can add any of the following
long sleeve light thermal base layer
wool mix long sleeve jersey
fleece lined long sleeve cycling jersey/jacket
3/4 fleece lined shorts. wool tights or leg warmers
winter full finger water proof gloves
beanie
neck/face warmer

Each winter, I have to remember not to dress for the 1st 5km but the next 35km, at the start of the cold days (ok it is Perth, it is relative cold and they are few and far between). I end up stopping somewhere between the 5km and 10km mark to remove a layer. After a while I learn and wear the right clothing for whole trip.
nickobec

Postby lethoso » Fri May 14, 2010 7:05 pm

right now my gear looks like:

gloves/bibs/jersey/merino baselayer/kneewarmers & pull my socks up.

I need to get something to keep my ears warm (or just keep the wind off them really). I've also been finding bib shorts keeping my butt cheeks inadequately warm, any suggestions? :?
lethoso

Postby swaz » Fri May 14, 2010 7:37 pm

Check out groundeffects gear in NZ. When I train a layer because I can take it off and stow it away in jersey pockets etc. But when I commute putting away and/or hanging up so many bits of clothing is a PITA. So I got a Frosty Boy from ground effects. Haven't ridden in it yet but it looks pretty good and warm enough.
swaz

Postby mikedufty » Fri May 14, 2010 7:40 pm

I used to dress for the whole trip, but found it was actually putting me off riding. I now think it is better put on warm stuff and plan to stop and take it off after a few km. Helps if you have a pannier there for it anyway.
mikedufty

Postby swaz » Fri May 14, 2010 7:47 pm

lethoso wrote:right now my gear looks like:

gloves/bibs/jersey/merino baselayer/kneewarmers & pull my socks up.

I need to get something to keep my ears warm (or just keep the wind off them really). I've also been finding bib shorts keeping my butt cheeks inadequately warm, any suggestions? :?

Again, Ground effects make an awesome beanie that covers your ears. I have a skull cap from Netti that covers my ears as well, but only good for about 80mins of riding because it hurts my ears after that... I also have a polar fleece ear warmer band I got for $5 from Kathmandu in a bargain bin. VERY warm, only good for middle of winter type stuff.
swaz

Postby Pax » Fri May 14, 2010 8:26 pm

I'm in Brisbane too so am a wimp when it comes to the cold. The following is a bit approximate and depends on how I actually feel as well as the actual temp:

The warm gear starts to come out of storage if the weather site says it is 16 degrees for my daily commute
16 degrees: Ear warmers and arm warmers
15 degrees: Full finger light gloves
15 degrees: Gillett
13 degrees: Spray jacket
10 degrees: Leg warmers
8 degrees: thicker gloves
8 degrees: Booties
8 degrees: second layer of arm warmers
6 degrees: Balaclava.
5 degrees: thicker jacket
0 degrees: back to bed :roll: (...don;t know how you southerners ride below that (let alone what you do TLL)
Pax

Postby alexander » Fri May 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Hmm, seems you northerners need some schooling on cold. Any good sports person will know and tell you that keeping warm is all about layers.

Current lineup for Melbourne.

- Buff, folded for head band, ear warmer, or skull cap, depending on cold, or sookiness of having to ride in the morning,
- Glasses, stops the eyes from tearing up due to cold, and rain or sleet from making the ride crap,
- Arm warmers, even over my long sleeve tops. I wear thermals as jerseys, Helly Hansen, North Face, and the arm warmers go over the thermal jerseys,
- Thermals, vary on thickness, from nike pro compression when it's cool to north face/Helly hansen when it's cold. I refuse to wear and pay for a billboard jersey, I'm not a pro nor will I pretend or pose like I am.
- Gillet, just to stop the core getting cold from frontal wind. good that the back is vented because the messenger bag always keeps the back and kidneys warm anyways.
- Winter Gloves, I wear full finger woolen liners or good synthetic, keeps you cold even in the wet. Worn under my proper cycling gloves.
- Outer gloves, I still wear my summer fingerless gloves as outers. My inner woolen warmers have to be tight so it doesn't get uncomfortable, but at least I'm still using good cycling gloves with whatever cheaper non cycling specific warm gloves that I can find.
- Leg warmers, I wear knicks and leg warmers. always more versatile.
- Toe covers, just to keep the extremities warmer. Full booties are overkill unless it's full on rain, or snow. And we don't get either, even in Melbourne.

Some of these can be worn or not due to variance of the ride home, versus ride into work. And vice versa.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby Baldy » Fri May 14, 2010 10:20 pm

alexander wrote: I refuse to wear and pay for a billboard jersey, I'm not a pro nor will I pretend or pose like I am..

This is one part of cycling I just cant understand? Why is it different than Soccer,AFL,Rugby ect ect ect. Do you think the same thing about people who wear their favorite team jumper while having a kick at the park?

I could understand if it were just taste, that makes sense.

Back to the topic, my angle of attack has allready been covered....get it...you see what I did there....

layers layers, a rolling onion gathers no moss-isture :mrgreen:
Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri May 14, 2010 10:45 pm

Forgot to add, I shouldnt really single you out Alexander because clearly your not the only person who thinks that way. Its just that I cant remember ever reading a reason it only applies to cycling.

If it does apply to everything, then holy smokes!! that must be annoying :lol:
Baldy

Postby Spork! » Fri May 14, 2010 10:52 pm

+1 a couplefew sheets of newspaper over the front of the torso. Can also be used over the thighs. Cheap, recycling, biodegradable...
Spork!

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 14, 2010 10:55 pm

Dig through the Ground Effect catalogue. Everything you need in one place and great customer service to boot.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby alexander » Fri May 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Baldy wrote:
alexander wrote: I refuse to wear and pay for a billboard jersey, I'm not a pro nor will I pretend or pose like I am..

This is one part of cycling I just cant understand? Why is it different than Soccer,AFL,Rugby ect ect ect. Do you think the same thing about people who wear their favorite team jumper while having a kick at the park?

I could understand if it were just taste, that makes sense...

first of all I'm fairly tipsy and ECT doesn't make sense. I'm fairly sure it's ETC but hey I'm wrong about most things...

Weekend kick of the footy compared to most weekend warrior/latte racers? Totally different, and I mean totally! I don't see many guys lining the road/track in their supporter jerseys when the cycling races are happening????

Yeah I get supporter thing, I have rugby jerseys myself, but I don't see many people playing sport on the weekend in their supporter jerseys, they have their local team or something else, where as all these guys are wearing full head to toe pro gear, and ride $10,000 bikes, while their gut hangs low, for a latte in St Kilda? :shock:
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby Baldy » Sat May 15, 2010 12:12 am

Yeah I take your point mate, some just like to pose no matter what they are doing. Though i see that more as fashion fiends! Im not sure if its about wanting to look pro or just they think it looks good. However deluded they may be :lol:

I ride a $1600 roadie and wear full shop kit. The reasons I got it was I had no gear, it was brightly colored and eye catching[for motorists] and I'd rather support the local guy than some team/company I had never heard of :roll:

Anyway, I only ride for team BNA , the pay stinks but the groupies make up for it :mrgreen:
Baldy

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 15, 2010 1:11 am

I just put on a big coat of "HTFU or freeze" and get out there :D .
Channel a bit of Jens Voight with "shut up fingers and toes".
And I am fine for about 5 minutes then I realise I better go home and get dressed :oops: .

PS...it's May here! (spose it is in Aus too :roll: ) but it isn't very warm...8 degrees Max yesterday.
toolonglegs

Postby murrum » Sun May 16, 2010 6:10 pm

Thx for the replies.

I'm think I'll hit up ground effects for some items if I can pass it through the Minister of Finance.
murrum

Postby Bantam Roosta » Mon May 17, 2010 7:09 pm

murrum wrote:Thx for the replies.

I'm think I'll hit up ground effects for some items if I can pass it through the Minister of Finance.

Ground Effect rocks! You really need to convince the MoF that we are talking value for money here. For winter I use:
Daddy Long Legs
Submerino
Two Timer (awesome piece of kit, removable sleeves, fitted hood, warm as 10 warm things)

These will probably keep you too warm. Just throw a two timer, or a frosty boy over your summer top, some winter gloves, and a skull cap and you'll be good to go.

When it gets below 0, I also add Lucifers and a cotton inner for my gloves. On those bitterly cold mornings, I use a balaclava to keep the wind off my nose and lips.

BR
Bantam Roosta

Postby aldifan » Mon May 17, 2010 10:57 pm

A real blessing is the sodium acetate based instant hot packs - the small Kathmandu ones are reasonable when they have them on special. They can almost instantly make your etremities feel a whole lot better. http://www.kathmandu.com.au//60465/Pocket-Hand-Warmer---2-Pack.html

Not a lot of other places have them but you can get other sizes and brands easily over the internet and sometimes at markets.

As an added bonus you can add your crystaline sodium acetate to your chips to make them tase like vinegar.

Kathmandu gear in general is good but their pricing scheme is mad - I almost never buy anything there unless it is marked down to half price. This is why I am always seen wearing last season's polyester fleeces.
aldifan

Postby mse » Tue May 18, 2010 12:04 pm

I find it difficult to buy cloths online - I wish I could cause some of this Rapha stuff looks great:
http://www.rapha.cc/
Don't you want to try it on to make sure it fits properly?

Can anyone suggest a good Melbourne retailer to visit:
- for some winter commuting gear
- for some casual Sunday afternoon riding
mse

Postby Flaker » Tue May 18, 2010 2:02 pm

I'm in Brisbane and commute to Amberley two days a week.
It does get cold here. At least a few "below zero" days each year.
The temperature change during the ride is generally about 5 to 7 degrees, which means I'm warming up as it gets colder.
I'm carrying a hot chip created layer of insulation and down till 18 I'm comfy in knicks, jersey and summer gloves (summer gear).
18-15 add vest,
15- 10 I'll add winter gloves and arm warmers
10-5 leg warmers
5-0 booties
0-ffffff buff over my head

Of course the afternoons are 25 and I'll ride home in summer gear, leave the cold gear at work and take it home the next day.
Flaker

Postby vinvin » Tue May 18, 2010 9:31 pm

What, no Canberrans? :o

Today (pretty close to zero) I wore wool socks in my bike shoes (I have some toe covers but haven't brought them out yet), knicks, polyprop tights over the knicks (I also have leg warmers but I'm experimenting), wool thermal skivvy/baselayer, long sleeve jersey over that. My backpack keeps my back pretty warm. Any colder than that, I have a SUB fleece lined cycle jacket to go over, and a Nike superlight wind/water proof jacket to go over as well or instead. I have long finger gloves but they are not cutting it so I'm looking around for something windproof.
vinvin

Next

Return to Commuting