Sissies. :lol:
rkelsen

by BNA » Wed May 19, 2010 5:54 pm

BNA

Re: Beating the cold

Postby aldifan » Wed May 19, 2010 5:54 pm

Put it on your calendar
June 3 Aldi will have their annual Snow gear sale on. :shock:

It may not mean much to the rest of you but the ski masks, jackets and gloves can make a real difference when cycling to work at minus 5.

I have always found being able to feel my fingers advantageous when trying to work the brakes.

Coldest experience riding a bike was a beautiful sunny frosty morning which felt nice and brisk till I hit the fog bank and wondered how fog could have ice crystals in it. Fingers? Why could I not feel my fingers? How was I going to work the brakes if I could not feel my fingers. I was going down hill and going down a hill. Nose? was it still there? My ears were the source of the most exquisite pain. Thankfully my fingers were working even if I could not feel them and I was coincidentally close to the bus interchange so I locked my bike there and rode the bus in.
aldifan

Postby rkelsen » Wed May 19, 2010 6:54 pm

aldifan wrote:Put it on your calendar
June 3 Aldi will have their annual Snow gear sale on.

You're a sad, sad man. :lol:
rkelsen

Postby martinjs » Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 pm

I don't feel the cold at all. :lol: :oops:

Last years affair, pretty much the same as this year. I love the heat but find I struggle to maintain my speed and averages in the Winter. Body just doesn't want to work, the k's overall don't change much.

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
martinjs

Postby cp123 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:26 pm

Do you wear that clobber when you go into a bank too? :lol:
cp123

Postby martinjs » Thu May 20, 2010 2:42 pm

cp123 wrote:Do you wear that clobber when you go into a bank too? :lol:

There's one in every crowd. :roll: :wink:

Martin
martinjs

Postby aldifan » Thu May 27, 2010 10:01 pm

:D looking forward to next week.
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/o ... z_src=main

The jacket from the ski suit I bought last year actually has reflective stripes in it. It is still a bit warm even in Canberra to get much use out of it till later in the year.
There will be thermal undies etc to keep you warm on sale next week which will be good for some. I may invest in the compression thermal undies. The problem with Aldi is that you really need to look at the stuff to check out if it is any good before you buy it.

Ski and fleece gloves I am afraid are generally not good for very long on the bike as you tend to use more pressure holding onto handlebars than on ski poles. - You will probably be better off investing in propper cold weather cycling gloves.

P.S. The pants from the ski suit also had the reflective stripes in them but even in Canberra it doesn't get cold enough to need ski pants on a bike. :lol:
aldifan

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Where do you work again :?: :wink:
trailgumby

Postby aldifan » Thu May 27, 2010 10:43 pm

Strangely enough, being from Canberra I can honestly say - Trust me - I work for the government. - No I do not work for Aldi.

Edit: Checked out my Aldi Ski jacket in the dark with a torch and the only reflective material (rather than just white) is in a single stripe down the front. The ski pants, which are too warm to use when cycling anyway have a stripe down each leg.
aldifan

Postby nickobec » Fri May 28, 2010 12:35 am

My pick for keeping fingers working and warm is polyprop glove liners (thin light gloves) under decent winter (windproof) gloves.
Never had a problem with cold fingers or lack of sensations in my fingers, riding my motorcycle at high speed in cold or wet weather, cycling or exploring US national parks on foot in -5C.
nickobec

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri May 28, 2010 1:49 am

Extra layers. Light thermal. Windbreaker. Waterproof. As follows

A cotton knitted long sleeve thing, but light wool is a better choice as the cotton absorbs water.

A light fole-into-it's-own-pocker Huffy top for water resistance and wind.

A tarp pancho, folds up into nothing.

A pair of fingerless gloves lined with mocroporous layer. Not expensive at Myers.

A beany. And if I was in a colder climate this could be a balaclava instead.

Of course, it does require a backpack or panniers. Winter does mean a little extra weight and preparation.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle
@Nov14 6,343km of 6,600. Rem 257 @5.5/day. Time to review the target methinks.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby msn » Fri May 28, 2010 6:22 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Of course, it does require a backpack or panniers. Winter does mean a little extra weight and preparation.

Interesting concept for a mono-wheeler Col. :lol:
msn

Postby Fletcher » Fri May 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Canberra. It aint winter yet, but mornings have been at zero already. Below the waist it's fleece lined tights, shoe covers (insulated ones). On top, I've bought a baked alaska from Ground Effect. Unfortunately it's only windproof on front (I bought online, and didn't realise this) so on cold mornings I need to wear a short sleeved thermal, long sleeved thermal then the Ground Effect thing over the top. This works between 0 and 5 degrees.
I'm buying a euro wind tex jacket (Biemme label, lots of $$) from lbs (I know I could save buying online, but my stuff up with the Ground Effect thing ruled that out). I'm confident that with a baselayer, it will see me right through winter. Gloves, any decent winter gloves should do, as long as they're still warm when wet. I've got cheap BBB all rounders. I might even buy a skull cap thingy for super cold mornings, but a head band to keep the ears from snapping off does the trick for now.
Edit: last Aldi sale I bought one of their soft shell jackets. With baselayers it was ok, but after two or three washes the sleeves showed signs of real wear. You gets what you pays for.
Fletcher

Postby rogan » Fri May 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Only one mention of newspaper. Up till now.

Seriously, till about 15 years ago it was good enough for the pros, so it's good enough for me. One piece tabloid sized, folded twice and shoved down the front of your jersey. I can go out in about 8C like this, with just a normal short sleeve jersey, arm warmers and normal knicks. Newspaper just seems to have fantastic insulating properties. Plus its cheap, readily accessible at home and just about any workplace, and disposable (in a thoughtful manner of course).

I wear winter gloves and shoe covers as well, below about 10C. Between 3C and 8C I add longs. Where I live it doesn't get below 3C...
rogan

Postby Spork! » Fri May 28, 2010 5:59 pm

My internet arm warmers and leg warmers arrived today. :D Cost less than the arm warmers alone would have from LBS. Of course, now it's looking like rain all weekend... :(
Spork!

Postby kiso » Fri May 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Another Brisbanite here (nearer to Ipswich actually). Most mornings lately I've been wearing a wind vest, arm warmers and gloves with fingers, but even that's overkill most of the time. The coldest morning we've had so far has been about 5C.

Rogan, I've done the newspaper trick before, and it works a treat, but the vest is better!
John

kiso

Postby wibbit » Mon May 31, 2010 8:46 pm

I wear a long sleeve marino wool top under my windproof jacket. kinda chilly when you first get out to the frosty morning but havnt needed much extra (yet!)
wibbit

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:11 pm

martinjs wrote:I don't feel the cold at all. :lol: :oops:

Last years affair, pretty much the same as this year. I love the heat but find I struggle to maintain my speed and averages in the Winter. Body just doesn't want to work, the k's overall don't change much.

Martin

Just don't stop at the atm for a withdrawal dressed like that.

Did I ever mention that there's a Yehuda Moon comic for everything?

Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Postby aldifan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Got the last compression thermal undies in my size at the Aldi sale today. The dark coloured ski jackets had reflective material stripes in them but the bright coloured ones did not. The Ski and snowboarding gloves looked more in keeping with antartic expeditions than skiing in Australian conditions, let alone bike riding but there were plenty of skivys and fleeces at rock bottom prices to keep the town warm. Also lots of fleece and knitted gloves for occasional use on those milder days.

On an interesting sideline today Aldi also had specials on English gourmet food???????. Only a German store could get away with calling English food "gourmet".

(I am of Dutch descent so gourmet is not something I am overly qualified to talk about either)
aldifan

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:29 am

While we are showing how we rug up...

Doncha love the beany? I certainly do.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle
@Nov14 6,343km of 6,600. Rem 257 @5.5/day. Time to review the target methinks.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby j-ho » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:50 pm

rogan wrote:Only one mention of newspaper. Up till now.

Seriously, till about 15 years ago it was good enough for the pros, so it's good enough for me.
I saw the riders in the tour de france do this just last year...
j-ho

Postby Dadrock » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:45 pm

Maybe it's because I don't ride a long distance, but I find that I can ride through a Melbourne winter in bib shorts, a long sleeve t-shirt and a gilet. I ride 10km to the city and back, and if I'm feeling cold I just ride faster to warm up...I'll usually pull the sleeves of my shirt up by the 5 km mark.

The fingers take a beating though...my fingerless gloves need a winter upgrade I think. Just something to stop the wind. I tried old (motor) bike gloves and my hands got too sweaty.
Any suggestions? Should I wrap them in newspaper? :D
"You make pigs smoke. You feed beef burgers to swans. You have big sheds, but nobody's allowed in..."
Dadrock

Postby BarryTas » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:52 pm

it is the sweat v too many layers that gets me. Oh and the numbe feet, once it has rained and stopped you have dried off but once your socks are wet and under the booties you feet just get wet then numb
when do we stop for coffee???

BarryTas

Postby martinjs » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:19 pm

My memory's of the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne were temperatures hardly ever got below 6c. I never had as much trouble staying warm in Melbourne, but up here in Leeton, if it's not around the 0 to 5c mark the wind cuts through several layers anyway. :(

Martin
martinjs

Postby Spork! » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Hoping my overshoes arrive this week. Last weekend my toes froze so much I couldn't feel my feet for 20 minutes after getting off the bike.
Spork!

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting