Track bike for commuting?

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Track bike for commuting?

Postby rkelsen » Mon May 17, 2010 9:36 pm

I've recently started noticing how sexy older track bikes can be.

How would a short wheelbase steel track bike handle a commute on roads and bike paths? Obviously, I'll be adding brakes. (clamp on ones. I'm not planning on drilling any vintage steel...)

My question is about whether it can/should be done? Opinions & experiences please.

I think I can convince the finance minister that I need a vintage Italian... 8)
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4362
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

by BNA » Tue May 18, 2010 6:54 pm

BNA
 

Re: Track bike for commuting?

Postby lethoso » Tue May 18, 2010 6:54 pm

well you could ride a unicycle to work if you wanted to, doesn't mean it's a good idea though.
Image
lethoso
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:56 pm
Location: brisbane, 4101

Re: Track bike for commuting?

Postby Pax » Tue May 18, 2010 9:13 pm

lethoso wrote:well you could ride a unicycle to work if you wanted to, doesn't mean it's a good idea though.


Jeez lets hope Colin Old and Cranky doesn't read this or you're in big trouble :lol:
User avatar
Pax
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast, Qld

Re: Track bike for commuting?

Postby rkelsen » Tue May 18, 2010 9:39 pm

lethoso wrote:well you could ride a unicycle to work if you wanted to, doesn't mean it's a good idea though.

Hence the question... :)

FWIW, I regularly see people riding unicycles on my commute. They never seem to know what to do with their hands. :lol: It's kinda funny to watch them "shimmy" down the road.
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4362
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Track bike for commuting?

Postby jules21 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:14 am

rkelsen wrote:How would a short wheelbase steel track bike handle a commute on roads and bike paths? Obviously, I'll be adding brakes. (clamp on ones. I'm not planning on drilling any vintage steel...)

do they have caliper bosses?
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8929
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Track bike for commuting?

Postby sogood » Wed May 19, 2010 9:29 am

Plenty of people use track frame for their fixie commuter build. The higher BB would reduce the chance of pedal strikes. Short wheelbase? It'll just make you more agile amongst the traffic.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17082
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Track bike for commuting?

Postby rkelsen » Wed May 19, 2010 10:19 am

jules21 wrote:
rkelsen wrote:How would a short wheelbase steel track bike handle a commute on roads and bike paths? Obviously, I'll be adding brakes. (clamp on ones. I'm not planning on drilling any vintage steel...)

do they have caliper bosses?

Of course they don't, smartypants. :P

Have you seen these clamp on caliper kits for track bikes? Linky.
sogood wrote:Short wheelbase? It'll just make you more agile amongst the traffic.

Thanks man.

So it's a goer... :) Watch this space.
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4362
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Track bike for commuting?

Postby hartleymartin » Wed May 19, 2010 7:26 pm

rkelsen wrote:I've recently started noticing how sexy older track bikes can be.

How would a short wheelbase steel track bike handle a commute on roads and bike paths? Obviously, I'll be adding brakes. (clamp on ones. I'm not planning on drilling any vintage steel...)

My question is about whether it can/should be done? Opinions & experiences please.

I think I can convince the finance minister that I need a vintage Italian... 8)


You could - I don't think it is such a great idea, but you could always try it out and report your findings to the wider community.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
User avatar
hartleymartin
 
Posts: 5073
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: Old Toongabbie, NSW

Re: Track bike for commuting?

Postby rearviewmirror » Thu May 20, 2010 11:53 am

No problem commuting on a track bike at all, lots of folks do it.
User avatar
rearviewmirror
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Williamstown, Victoria

Re: Track bike for commuting?

Postby jaseyjase » Thu May 20, 2010 1:49 pm

Considering many couriers around the world use old track bikes all day long, im sure you'll be fine =)
User avatar
jaseyjase
 
Posts: 2104
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Track bike for commuting?

Postby alchemist » Thu May 20, 2010 2:46 pm

Would depend a lot on the bike; toe overlap and comfort could be a issue.

Other than that riding fixed on the street is not an issue
alchemist
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 6:59 pm

Re: Track bike for commuting?

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu May 20, 2010 5:19 pm

rkelsen wrote:FWIW, I regularly see people riding unicycles on my commute. They never seem to know what to do with their hands. :lol: It's kinda funny to watch them "shimmy" down the road.


We stick them down the lycra pressure togs, adjust and jiggle the dangly bits and keep our hands warm. Why else do you think we always have a stupid grin?
:roll:
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle
@Nov27 6,669km of 6,600. Rem -69 @-2.0/day. Time to review the target methinks.
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4867
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Track bike for commuting?

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 20, 2010 6:05 pm

I commute on a steel track bike.

This one

Image
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14925
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney


Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


PM Issues
Known Bug - error message displayed when sending PM's caused by tapatalk. Read more


Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit