New bike lanes in Sydney

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

New bike lanes in Sydney

Postby ngalbrai » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:41 am

So I noticed today that the new bike lanes into the city from the west after the Anzac bridge (don’t know the street names) were open, still some semblence of barriers so I am guessing not officially yet. Still, many cyclists were using them, and, worryingly, so too were many pedestrains. Now my view on this is that if dedicated bike lanes are being used as a matter of course by pedestrians they are not fit for purpose, pose a danger to everyone and so I for one will be sticking to the road.

Do we think bikes only will be enforced or that after a period of adjustment common sense will keep peds off here?

What is the official RTA stance on not using facilities, is it if deemed not safe to do so or something of that ilk? Even with peds on there I guess they actually serve their purpose in providing segregated facilities for cyclists that might otherwise not be cycling, but, surely its recognised that its not viable for someone travelling faster than jogging pace?

Also I fear that peds will not look when crossing these lanes unless there is regular bike traffic, they wont percive a danger and will be "looking with their ears"…. Crunch.

Also further animosity from cars who see people not using the bike lanes.

Thoughts?
ngalbrai

by BNA » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:08 am

BNA

Re: New bike lanes in Sydney

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:08 am

The good things is that if a pedestrian got run over in the bike lane, the liability would most likely to be with the pedestrian. Not so on shared paths. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 am

Is the footpath entirely clear?
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby wombatK » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:27 pm

Pedestrians have been using them for months - in preference to the footpath. Probably just force of old habits.

The force of one or two cyclist hitting them at 30 kph will soon scatter them out of the way :twisted:

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby Max » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:23 am

sogood wrote:The good things is that if a pedestrian got run over in the bike lane, the liability would most likely to be with the pedestrian.

Why would you think that? We still have an obligation to avoid collisions, no matter whether it's a "bicycles only" area.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:33 pm

A new bike only path that peds frequent illegally you say?

I've got $20 that says it'll become a shared path by law in less than twelve months :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:57 pm

This location is a major commuting thoroughfare. The bike path is next to the footpath and is clearly separate by means of a curb.

If the footpath is now clear of construction stuff, the peds will soon learn that there is an almost continuous line of bikes on the bike path
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby zero » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:36 pm

I loathe that design of bicycle lane, but in this case its a necessary safety improvement, and will stop thousands of wrong waying and footpath riding incidents.
zero

Postby goneriding » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:27 pm

When the King St lane opened there were peds regularly wandering out onto it making the downhill run somewhat dangerous. As far as the ANZAC Bridge to City run is concerned rather following the crowd I used to turn right at the bottom of the ramp, go down the hill and follow around the waterfront. No cars, no peds and some nice relatively new road surfaces.

As Mike says, give it a while and people will sort it out. In the mean time just use your bell.
goneriding

Postby sogood » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Max wrote:
sogood wrote:The good things is that if a pedestrian got run over in the bike lane, the liability would most likely to be with the pedestrian.

Why would you think that? We still have an obligation to avoid collisions, no matter whether it's a "bicycles only" area.

I did qualify my earlier statement with "most likely". So if the rider is riding normally and have taken due care, then a pedestrian who suddenly wonders into the lane and get collected would be at fault.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby petie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:15 pm

yeah i was not the happiest the first time i rode them.

As mentioned i think it will just cause MORE animosity towards cyclists who chose ride on the road (for the safety of the pedestrians!!)

I had to ride at below walking pace (NOT in peak hour) due to the number of pedestrians who were walking on the path or stepping out and not looking (or looking at the car out on the road. Every time i rang my bell they turned around and gave me big dirties.

Hopefully in peak hour the steady stream of cyclists prevents all these things. :roll:
petie

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:34 am

I've had a huge facebook discussion with someone who rides a motor-cycle from Gosford to North Sydney about this.

So many people seem to be under the impression that every street is being ripped up willy-nilly to make room for a few people pedalling past in lycra.

So many people also seem to think that bicycles are some hippy-green agenda.

The person whom I have had the most trouble with is funnily enough... a traffic engineer.

The hardest point to get to him is that providing a network of bicycle-specific infrastructure is all about providing TRANSPORT OPTIONS. We need additional transport OPTIONS in Sydney, other than getting stuck on overcrowded trains and buses, or getting stuck in peak-hour traffic in our cars.

He keeps talking about people who travel into Sydney CBD from places like Hoxton Park and Gosford for whom motor vehicles are the only really viable option. He also seems intent on ignoring me when I say, "well, in that situation then go right ahead and drive"

The bike lanes are not taking away road space from moving vehicles. They are taking away on-street parking, which is usually limited to 2 hours anyway, so where do people who drive to work park? NOT ON THE STREET!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Postby wombatK » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:38 am

hartleymartin wrote:He keeps talking about people who travel into Sydney CBD from places like Hoxton Park and Gosford for whom motor vehicles are the only really viable option.

That argument is easily refuted. Land and housing in Hoxton Park is pretty cheap - people on that kind of budget can not afford to park in the Sydney CBD. Even if they could, does your friend seriously believe that anyone can provide parking in the CBD for all the people from these new suburbs ? Your friend probably also doesn't realise how much real-estate has to be set aside for cars - and ultimately we all pay for that when we buy land and housing, or parking in the CBD.

Should they not be able to find more local employment, the interests of people moving to these new areas are best served by public transport to the CBD - via bus lanes west of Liverpool (in this case), and connecting train services.

A rail option to the developing west of Sydney would be nice, but light years beyond the vision of our current pollies.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:29 am

A bloke I know rides to Gosford train station and catches the train
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:34 am

mikesbytes wrote:A bloke I know rides to Gosford train station and catches the train

Gosford to North Sydney is quite a trip by train. Nearly 2 hours all up, whilst a similar trip (on his motorcycle) is about 55 minutes.

I see a long train trip as a good thing, as long as you don't have to change trains. A chance to read, snooze, chat with a mate... Perhaps I just never lied life in the fast lane.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Return to Commuting