Ride to Work Day 2010

Comedian

Re: Ride to Work Day 2010

Postby Comedian » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Warnesy wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
Warnesy wrote:I've actually got it targeted as my first ever commute into work. Hopefully the first of many.
Good on you as others have said, but why wait until Ride to Work day? ;)
Good question. I've decided to give myself a few weeks to do some weekend rides, build a bit of conditioning, get used to the bike and suss out the route a few times, before I start playing with the traffic on the ride in.
Where are you based? I'm happy to help out if I can. :)

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:11 pm

I should add that to my profile, based in Canberra, so thanks for the offer but it might be a long ride :D

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:14 am

Warnesy wrote:I should add that to my profile, based in Canberra, so thanks for the offer but it might be a long ride :D
Yep you'll have to manage that one with local help. n :D

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:21 am

After missing half the bike to work in spring challenge last year (I was in Venice - tough isn't it?) fotuitously the ride to work day is a wednesday as again, I'll be out of town, just on the Friday.

If you see an old guy leaning on a unicycle and rubbing his chafed arse at the coffee line, gimme a shout.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:44 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:After missing half the bike to work in spring challenge last year (I was in Venice - tough isn't it?) fotuitously the ride to work day is a wednesday as again, I'll be out of town, just on the Friday.

If you see an old guy leaning on a unicycle and rubbing his chafed arse at the coffee line, gimme a shout.
Are you in Brisbane? I've seen a guy riding a unicycle a couple of times along the bikeway under the freeway.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:59 pm

No Comedian - i'm in Perth. But every city seems to have a commuting unicyclist. Unfortunately Perth (and others?) do not have a second so any sort of riding in company is restricted to the odd short ride with a passing cyclist who wants a brief break in intensity.

Occassionally I get someone referred to me to help their son/daughter/themselves so I may go for a ride with them. But by definition this is a pretty short and limiting ride.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

gtw

Postby gtw » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:42 am

Posters for the newcastle event will start going up this coming week. :)

marieparr

Postby marieparr » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Any participants in Melbourne? I'm riding to work anyway but thought I'd participate in this "event" as I just started riding to work 3 months ago. I will be going to the breeky at Federation Square and since I leave home quite early 6.30 am I will be there around 7 am. Anyone else going to Fed Square at that time?

Max

Postby Max » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:35 pm

Woohoo, I'm doing a training course in town on Wednesday, which means I'll be able to participate in the R2W breakfast! :mrgreen: Free food! Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Max wrote:Woohoo, I'm doing a training course in town on Wednesday, which means I'll be able to participate in the R2W breakfast! :mrgreen: Free food! Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Max
What time you coming in? If it's a reasonable time I could come for a spin in with you. I can introduce you to Kermit. :)

Max

Postby Max » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:07 am

Comedian, I'm aiming to arrive in town at around 0730. That means I'll probably leave home at around 0630-0645 or so, putting me at the Grange (where I passed you near that little tunnel thing) somewhere around 0650-0705. Does that work for you?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Max wrote:Comedian, I'm aiming to arrive in town at around 0730. That means I'll probably leave home at around 0630-0645 or so, putting me at the Grange (where I passed you near that little tunnel thing) somewhere around 0650-0705. Does that work for you?

Max
I'm pretty sure that's perfect. The guys from work are riding up there "as a group" from work. I'll have to check the time of that but it sounds perfect. I'll pm you with details when I find out more on Monday/Tuesday.

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Looks like we could be in for a decent amount of rain for ride to work day in Canberra :evil:

Max

Postby Max » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:09 am

I woke up this morning at 0300 to very heavy rainfall. Tossed and turned until 0530 and got up. It's now 0610 and it's still as heavy as it was before, with added lightning. If it's like this on Wednesday, I don't think I'll be riding in.

But.. and this should say something.. as I was tossing and turning, I managed to doze off. And I had a dream. The dream involved me wrapping my legs and feet in glad wrap so that I could ride to work. :lol:

Max

cpical

Postby cpical » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:25 am

marieparr wrote:Any participants in Melbourne? I'm riding to work anyway but thought I'd participate in this "event" as I just started riding to work 3 months ago. I will be going to the breeky at Federation Square and since I leave home quite early 6.30 am I will be there around 7 am. Anyone else going to Fed Square at that time?

Participating, so to speak. I ride every day to work, CSL. They will have a breakfast.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:56 am

Max wrote:I woke up this morning at 0300 to very heavy rainfall. Tossed and turned until 0530 and got up. It's now 0610 and it's still as heavy as it was before, with added lightning. If it's like this on Wednesday, I don't think I'll be riding in.

But.. and this should say something.. as I was tossing and turning, I managed to doze off. And I had a dream. The dream involved me wrapping my legs and feet in glad wrap so that I could ride to work. :lol:

Max
Fear not. The Brisbane forecast for Wednesday is for mostly fine, with a few showers for Wed. She'll be right!

It's a good idea the glad wrap though.. you should get to work fresher :)

Max

Postby Max » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:10 pm

So long as the Kedron Brook path isn't underwater, I'll be fiiiiiiiiiine. If I get to the path and find it submerged, I'm turning around, going home, and catching the train in!

Max

gtw

Postby gtw » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:26 pm

280+ people registered who live within 10 kms of cbd for newcastle.

could be a decent turnout...!