Anti puncture system for wife's commute?

twowheels

Re: Anti puncture system for wife's commute?

Postby twowheels » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:02 pm

I was in Japan recently, 99% of cycling there is commuting. In variety/hardware type stores they sell bikes for commuting. In particular I noticed Bridgestone "armoured" tyres for around $20. Which isn't going to help you unfortunately, because I've already checked for them online since I got home. But it is an interesting example of how the Japanese bike commuter market is catered for. At the price a much better option for a bike that often has to be left at train stations, bikes not allowed on trains there, too crowded.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:12 pm

Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres are pretty well armoured in my experience (14,000kms with no punctures) 8)

Best tyres for durability I've ever used. Don't need to worry about slime or thornproof tubes, and much lighter than the Schwalbe Marathon Plus (770g vs 1,150g). They work like this with penetrations:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:45 pm

They look great IP. When I need tyres and I've burnt through the wife's rejects I'll give them a go.

Interestingly though, I noted today that the tyre fitted to the Brisbane City Cycle hire bikes is none other than Schwalbe Marathon Plus. That's a pretty good recommendation. :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Yes, the Schwalbe Marathon Plus are good, but I reckon the Vittorias are at least as good, and on a weight basis they outperform the very heavy Marathon Plus overall. The reason for the Brisbane choice of the Marathon Plus is no doubt because all Schwalbe tyres have a sidewall reflective band. Vittoria haven't yet done this on all tyre models. Personally I'm prepared to go without that.
Mandatory helmet law?

Runjikol

Postby Runjikol » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:31 pm

They work like this with penetrations:
How long was that bad-boy when you pulled it out?

I might get a set in 26" for the Big Dummy.
--Current rides: Surly Big Dummy || Dahon Dash P-18 || Surly Troll

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:20 am

Ah, not my photo. A picture I came across on the net, there was a description of the person's experience - the tyre was still fully inflated and he'd just noticed a clicking as he rode.

Personally, I have pulled out a large number of cat-head thorns from my Randonneur Cross tyre. Some were 7-10mm long. I thought I was bound to have a flat later in the day. By the end of the ride I was surprised that the tyre was still up hard.

Thorns like these buggers
Mandatory helmet law?

Anakist

Postby Anakist » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:24 pm

What about running those tyres with Stans No Tubes system? That way if something does penetrate the tyre, the goop will seal it up.

I am just about to swap to No Tubes on my Merida. Mainly for lower pressure and the same rolling resistance though.

James
Bikes:
2010 Merida Cyclo Cross 4 Disc
2006 Avanti Escape with slicks and "Upgraditis"
2008 Buell 1125r

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:33 pm

Yep, Stan'sNo-Tubes will work

I haven't taken it up because I'm not enthralled by the need for an air compressor to initially inflate the tyre. And the sealant goop eventually dries out and has to be refilled every few months. It may be a more technical system for your wife to cope with, especially out on the road if something does go wrong - easier to just fit good puncture-proof tyres like Vittoria Randonneur, Randonneur Cross, Schwalbe Marathon, Marathon Plus or Marathon XR. And learn how to fix the very rare puncture she may get.

[edit] Oh, I see. Use tyre sealant inside puncture-proof tyres. Maybe a bit of overkill, but you could do it. I wouldn't bother unless your locality has a chronic thorn problem - like this :shock:

Mandatory helmet law?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:26 pm

With tubeless you have to run special tyres, right?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Stan's No-Tubes is a tubeless system that can be used with any normal tyres. It uses a sealant to complete the rim-tyre seal, that also gives exceptional puncture protection. Hence you can convert your bike to tubeless relatively easily and low cost, with the existing rims and tyres. It's mainly aimed at MTB riding,but they have also developed it for narrow road tyres.

Mandatory helmet law?

Runjikol

Postby Runjikol » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:40 pm

I can't help but think of the saying, "If it looks too good to be true it probably is". That's not a judgement, though.
--Current rides: Surly Big Dummy || Dahon Dash P-18 || Surly Troll

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:10 pm

Stan's No Tubes has been around for a long time

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheel ... 08crx.aspx

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -kit-22870

http://ashwinearl.blogspot.com/2005/04/ ... l-and.html

I haven't tried it but most people that I've heard about using it for MTB (in thorn-prone areas, or to allow lower tyre pressures without pnch-flats) have been very happy with it.
Mandatory helmet law?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Does anyone know how to get Stan's Sealant into tubes that you can't get the valves out of?
Options seem to be;
1. use a bit of tube, like fish tank air tube over the valve and poor it in
2. use one of those old style pump connectors, using an adaptor, fill it with the sealant and then pump it in
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

flubba86

Postby flubba86 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:27 pm

il padrone wrote:Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres are pretty well armoured in my experience (14,000kms with no punctures) 8)

Best tyres for durability I've ever used. Don't need to worry about slime or thornproof tubes, and much lighter than the Schwalbe Marathon Plus (770g vs 1,150g).
+1 For Vittoria Randonneurs. After having terrible trouble with relentless flats my stocko Kenda Kwest 700x32 tyres, I went shopping online and got a set of Randonneur City tyres in 700x28, and some Slime tubes. The randonneurs are lighter than gatorskins, and price-wise and specification-wise they would seem inferior but you find a lot more positive feedback in favour of the vitoria randonneurs than you do in favour of gatorskins.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Well with your recommendation IP I bought a set of Vittoria Randoneur 700x32 so we will see how they go. :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:18 pm

Comedian wrote:Well with your recommendation IP I bought a set of Vittoria Randoneur 700x32 so we will see how they go.
I don't believe she'll be disappointed.
mikesbytes wrote:Does anyone know how to get Stan's Sealant into tubes that you can't get the valves out of?
Options seem to be;
1. use a bit of tube, like fish tank air tube over the valve and poor it in
2. use one of those old style pump connectors, using an adaptor, fill it with the sealant and then pump it in
Mandatory helmet law?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:03 pm

il padrone wrote:
Comedian wrote:Well with your recommendation IP I bought a set of Vittoria Randoneur 700x32 so we will see how they go.
I don't believe she'll be disappointed.
No mate, they are for me! I bought her the Marathon Plus so we'll see who gets a puncture first. Well... that's not fair as I do more k's but you know what I mean. :)

x8pg2qr

Postby x8pg2qr » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:05 am

Learnt a lot in this thread.

It's good that the OP's wife installed the tyres on the rims; nothing like some hands on. Those maintenance courses that councils or BikeWise hold cover this step (in addition to other things), and gave me a big confidence boost. I notice the OP said "She would rather not have to stop and repair a puncture". IMO a more reasonable approach is replace the tube, carry on, and then someone (i.e. you) repair the tube in the comfort of your own home. Because it's far easier to practice changing tubes, than to puncture a tube to practice patching.

The ideas of using a lock, having a mobile phone are reasonable (and I suspect are the) fallback positions for a majority of bicycle riders in Australia, and useful not just in punctures. Also walking the bicycle home and knowing where the bicycle shops in the region are.

Loved the tyre selections as well.

So, no I don't think it's an odd question. I think puncture management is a sword of Damocles which can inhibit bicycle usage when time pressure exists or distance increases. Getting a puncture on a weekend social ride (haha, we got a puncture, fix it), is totally different from on a commute (oh !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, I need to get to work!). Best to confront it, and take the mystery out. When my wife discussed commuting, she told me "if my chain falls off, I don't think I can cope".

Lastly:
After reading all of this and talking to her about it she has agreed (reluctantly) to get a set of the Marathons (looks like I've got a set of Kendas to burn on my hybrid).
Same here. I wonder what to do with these Kendas: donate them for use in an area without glass or thumbtacks on the road?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:21 am

flubba86 wrote:
+1 For Vittoria Randonneurs. After having terrible trouble with relentless flats my stocko Kenda Kwest 700x32 tyres, I went shopping online and got a set of Randonneur City tyres in 700x28, and some Slime tubes. The randonneurs are lighter than gatorskins, and price-wise and specification-wise they would seem inferior but you find a lot more positive feedback in favour of the vitoria randonneurs than you do in favour of gatorskins.
Where did you get the slime smart tubes from?

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:05 pm

Just more feed back on the Vittoria Randonneurs (not the cross version) I believe weight makes a bit of difference as I weight in at an average 95kilo's and with the Vittoria tyres on the rear I only average 6500k's before I see red showing through and the inner layer starts to pit.
The Front's I've got up to 14,000k's but average about 12,000k's. I've had about 6 punctures over 30,000k's with the Vittoria tyres. All but one on the rear tyre.

I'm currently trying out the Schwalbe Marathon Plus and have so far clocked up 3,400k's with out any punctures. I'm hoping to get more out of the rear as they are a heavier tyre.

Only time will tell. :D

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Ok here's my little update on this. The schwalbe marathon's on the wife's bike have done about 700k with no punctures. The vittoria randonneurs on my bike have done 1000k so far with no punctures. I must say that the rear is showing some signs of wear with some flattening off of the tread but clearly it has a long way to go before it will need replacement.

Contrast this with the continental city contacts - 7 punctures in 2.5k :(

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:10 am

il padrone wrote: I wouldn't bother unless your locality has a chronic thorn problem - like this

I would pull out 20 thorns each day. Cheap tyres, with tyre liners, "puncture proof" thick tubes and goo. Pumped the tyres up regularly, never had a problem with flats.

The council built a new road, no need to take that 1km+ (on 2km ride) saving shortcut again.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:36 pm

Well after 3 punctures this week I have ordered a set of Hutchinson Intensives, 2 campagnolo 2 way fit valves and a bottle of Stans from Wiggle 162$ and will be taking the tubeless plunge sometime next week. The second puncture on Monday resulted in an 8k walk in cleats as I had only one C02 cannister instead of my normal 2 and no pump as I dont carry one (edit didnt). Was also the day that I left my mobile phone at home I really gave Murphy a run for his money that day.
easier to just fit good puncture-proof tyres like Vittoria Randonneur, Randonneur Cross, Schwalbe Marathon, Marathon Plus or Marathon XR. And learn how to fix the very rare puncture she may get.
Bit of a contradiction there - surely if they are puncture proof then you wont get even a very rare puncture.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:10 pm

Cruiserman wrote:Well after 3 punctures this week I have ordered a set of Hutchinson Intensives, 2 campagnolo 2 way fit valves and a bottle of Stans from Wiggle 162$ and will be taking the tubeless plunge sometime next week. The second puncture on Monday resulted in an 8k walk in cleats as I had only one C02 cannister instead of my normal 2 and no pump as I dont carry one (edit didnt). Was also the day that I left my mobile phone at home I really gave Murphy a run for his money that day.
easier to just fit good puncture-proof tyres like Vittoria Randonneur, Randonneur Cross, Schwalbe Marathon, Marathon Plus or Marathon XR. And learn how to fix the very rare puncture she may get.
Bit of a contradiction there - surely if they are puncture proof then you wont get even a very rare puncture.
Geebus - you're not taking any chances there :shock: :)

Since replacing the wifes tyres with Marathon Plus's and my tyres with randonneurs we've had no punctures in 2k of riding. I know it's not a lot but it's going to take time this experiment. I have a can of slime sitting down there un-used. :o

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Cruiserman wrote:Bit of a contradiction there - surely if they are puncture proof then you wont get even a very rare puncture.
Pretty much the case. On two bikes my experiences have been:

Touring MTB/commuter
Vittoria Randoneur Cross 26x1.75 (15,000 kms) - zero punctures
Schwalbe Marathon XR 26x2.00 (3,500 kms) - one puncture (repeated twice as I didn't get all the tiny wire out)

Hybrid roadster commuter
Vittoria Randonneur700Cx35 (~4-5,000 kms) - two punctures (one a strange blow-out that I think was some sort of bead-lift situation)
Last edited by il padrone on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?