A Bag for Commuting

human909

Re: A Bag for Commuting

Postby human909 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:57 am

I don't even notice the effect of having one rear pannier while. I've had as much as 10kg in it. When stopped you notice but that is to be expected.

In fact I've never ridden with both my paniers on the bike. Mine are big enough I haven't felt the need. Its much easier having to take off only 1 bag.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:44 pm

I've been riding around with only one pannier lately - because my Brooks Conquest saddle doesn't have the loops for my saddle-bag straps. I wouldn't know that I had it on if I didn't put it there myself. I've been carrying a cooler bag and cold or iced water with me regularly.

I typically prefer to use the saddle-bag only.

I cannot wait to be able to afford a set of Carradice Kendal Panniers in Green...
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Scott2Work

Postby Scott2Work » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:00 pm

What you say about air resistance not being a problem until you maintain a speed of 48Km/Hr may be true. But would it count if I am maintaining 25Km/Hr into a 30-40Km/Hr headwind. When I have no choice I simply have to decide to make the most of it, that would be look at it as extra training etc. On the way to work it started to rain as soon as I left home and did not let up for the entire 15Km, no water got into the trunk and I did not have to use either pannier. On the way home tonight I took the 30Km route with both paniers full, (two towells, two changes of clothes, all the regular regular bike repair equipment, leatherman, wallet, large glasses case, phone, ipod, pager, bench mount bike repair stand etc. It was hot and muggy and there was a moderate head wind, all in all a very pleasant trip in both directions.
When I mentioned using the car it was for when I take things like a blower/vac, a ladder and/or a pressure washer, think the picture of the bloke moving his fridge. Anything is possible and when needs be will be done, but if I am going to work anyway for big items or I am doing something else and I can make a ten minute detour to take a week worth of clothing to work, that makes sense to me.
Don't get me wrong I did not mean to sound completly anti panniers or back packs. I already have a back pack and my Wiggle wish list has had a pair of Ortleib Back Roller Panniers on it for ages, to help with the bigger loads, or the wet weather. But so far they just haven't risen high enough on the list of priorities for me to buy them before I get to the end of that months money. It won't happen overnight but it will happen, why is there always so much month left at the end of the money? What I was trying to point out was that the trunk bag with two built-in drop-down panniers will carry almost as much as most panniers, but it puts a lot of that stuff up behind my not inconsiderable butt where it does not create any more drag or widen the load into traffic be it pedestrian or vehicular.
It would be a very boring world if there was only one way to do things, no matter which way you travel I hope to see on the trails someday.

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:00 am

So you've ridden with regular full-sized panniers and found they were causing noticably more drag than what you're using now?

Scott2Work

Postby Scott2Work » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:04 pm

I haven't ridden with "regular full-sized" panniers in about twenty years, so there may be little or no difference between them and the smaller ones that are part of my trunk bag when they are down and full. But I have noticed the extra wind resistance when riding with my "little" panniers down instead of folded up. The most clear example in my mind was a time when riding home I started to get warm, pulled over to remove a layer or two, and had to drop one of the panniers down. I felt better for being cooler but did notice the way the head wind seemed to be pushing against me a little harder. All very subjective I know, but for me conclusive and yet those Ortleib Back rollers are still on my wish list.
As a side issue in the last couple of days I have fitted aero bars to my Scott Sub 20, a flat bar road bike, and although I am still getting used to them I think they make a bigger difference than the panniers being in or out.
I guess in some ways you could call me a weight glutton and an air resistance weenie, but I would be as happy with that as a weight weenie would be with their title.
"Different strokes for different folks." And this different folk wishes all you other different folk a very pleasant ride the next time you get on your bike, and looks forward to the time when it is the ones in the smoke machines that are thought of as different (and perhaps just a little crazy).
Have a great ride,
Dave.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Scott2Work wrote:I haven't ridden with "regular full-sized" panniers in about twenty years, so there may be little or no difference between them and the smaller ones that are part of my trunk bag when they are down and full. But I have noticed the extra wind resistance when riding with my "little" panniers down instead of folded up. The most clear example in my mind was a time when riding home I started to get warm, pulled over to remove a layer or two, and had to drop one of the panniers down. I felt better for being cooler but did notice the way the head wind seemed to be pushing against me a little harder. All very subjective I know, but for me conclusive and yet those Ortleib Back rollers are still on my wish list.
As a side issue in the last couple of days I have fitted aero bars to my Scott Sub 20, a flat bar road bike, and although I am still getting used to them I think they make a bigger difference than the panniers being in or out.
I guess in some ways you could call me a weight glutton and an air resistance weenie, but I would be as happy with that as a weight weenie would be with their title.
"Different strokes for different folks." And this different folk wishes all you other different folk a very pleasant ride the next time you get on your bike, and looks forward to the time when it is the ones in the smoke machines that are thought of as different (and perhaps just a little crazy).
Have a great ride,
Dave.
Thinking of getting the MTX trunk bag myself. How does it go with fitting a pair of runners in? I don't really need big panniers as all I need to carry is my lunch, a t-shirt, socks and jocks, and runners to go to the gym. Plus the usual tools and puncture gear and a spray jacket. My current back pack is getting a bit heavy with all this in it.

Scott2Work

Postby Scott2Work » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:39 am

Hi Mugglechops
Depending on the size of your feet, &/or whether you are prepared to carry your runners with you other clothes and food, you should be able to get most if not all that into the top section without having to drop either of the panniers. If you go ahead I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much you can stuff into the top section. Everyone is different but for the sorts of things you are talking about I think you will find it ideal. Enough room to carry the regular stuff, and when the need arises you can drop the panniers and carry home a bag or two of shopping as well.
There are different models and sizes, but with mine once I have stuffed all that I can into the top section there is elastic webbing on top and I tend to carry a few bits and pieces in the side compartments with the panniers.
Quality wise I have had mine for over a year commuting almost every day. Just shy of 8000Kms and it is only just starting to show the first signs of wear. Of all the parts and accessories I have purchased for my bike it is one of the ones I have been happiest with, for me it works.
I hope you end up as happy with your choice as I have with mine.
Regards,
Dave.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:03 pm

Thanks sounds just like what I need.

I would like to find a shop with one in stock just to check though

Scott2Work

Postby Scott2Work » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 pm

I know what you mean, but I am afraid I won't be any help to you as all the stores that I know of that have them in stock are a wee bit south of you.
Good Luck.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:37 pm

So....this is my 3rd, 4th bag for commuting (depending if one counts a bag that has never been used).

Anyhoo, I posted this photo in another thread but posting it again ;-) They ran out last year but got notified that this was again in stock and so I am now awaiting delivery :-)

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BAS ... eather-kit

Now, I'm just going to see if I can contain my joy and excitement over the next few weeks :-)

Where other females have a shoe addiction, I have a serious bike bag addiction. So unless I can come across another set of leather panniers which is as stylish as this one...this will serve me, oh say, over the next couple of months. :-) I'll justify this as part of the Autumn collection. If I go by seasons, I can truly justify having 4 sets of panniers.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 pm

You'll be the most stylish commuter in Sydney with that kit 8)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Thanks ip :D

I'll let you know the smell and feel of the leather once I receive and open it. And it isn't as expensive as the Brooks Brick Lane...and it is leather!!! (yes, I am excited)

DRAD81

Postby DRAD81 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:50 am

I've been looking at the Deuter Futura 28 back pack only because I don't want to put panniers on my bike.

Anyone have any feedback on these bags?

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:39 am

I can recommend Dueter, my panniers are 12 years old and going strong.

The previous (cheaper) ones I had only lasted 12 months.

DRAD81

Postby DRAD81 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:54 pm

I heard nothing but good things about Deuter but I'm worried the bag will be too big for my back. I've only managed to find the Deuter Futura 28 online so haven't had the opportunity to try one on.

I need the bag to be comfortable, have a rain cover and not have the actual back sit on my back causing shoes etc to poke at me as I ride. The Deuter Futura 28 ticks all those boxes and is spacious to fit work clothes, shoes, towel and lunch but is it too big? It's a 28L bag. A pannier is not an option.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Just a comment on the rear Tioga racks I'm using- the bolts have the tendency of rubbing against my pannier bags so make sure you duct tape the bolts or they will leave marks.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Sat May 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Well I have invested in a rack top bag as I have managed to cut my work payload down quite a bit, by stashing shoes and toiletries at work. Lately I've only been needing one side of my panniers, but they're the dutch style built-together kind. Still loving them for picnics & the grocery run etc though.

I seem to have got a bit obsessed by bike bags - it's either a girl thing or I may be developing a case of "Sherpa" :oops: ... though it's comforting to see upthread i'm not the only one with this proclivity!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat May 14, 2011 3:53 pm

Hmm.... bike bag fetish ??

I've just bought this one for SWMBO. She likes it too :D .

Mandatory helmet law?

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat May 14, 2011 4:01 pm

Yeah I was looking at that - good for the rear rack but the place I saw it (a cycle chic type of website) didn't have it in leather. How waterproof is it?

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat May 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Lizzy wrote: I seem to have got a bit obsessed by bike bags - it's either a girl thing or I may be developing a case of "Sherpa" :oops: ... though it's comforting to see upthread i'm not the only one with this proclivity!
I have 4, 5 erm...bike bags (double rear panniers) so far. I started from the functional to the funkylooking functional so I think I'm done for now. My take on this is how seasonal the bag is. I have my "Spring" commuting bag, my "Autumn" collection, ermmm...my summer bag is lasting into the autumn so far so I don't really have a Winter collection yet.

I like this red bag on this Gucci bike though I think the strap could be more stylish. It downmarkets the leather bag with that awful strap.

LVMH can seriously bankrupt me if they start producing dedicated double rear pannier leather bags. I've been looking at Brooks Carradice but so far am quite happy with my Selle Monte Grappa.

If your bike looks good (including your bags), then you're more likely to ride it often. :-)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat May 14, 2011 5:44 pm

CommuRider wrote:Yeah I was looking at that - good for the rear rack but the place I saw it (a cycle chic type of website) didn't have it in leather. How waterproof is it?
I don't think it has been tested in rain, but the fabric is very tough and durable to feel and is described as 'highly water-resistant'. I'm pretty confident it'll keep dry for 1/2 hr - 1 hr in rain, not so sure about all-day out in the rain.
Mandatory helmet law?

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat May 14, 2011 7:11 pm

I use a 24L Osprey Stratos backpack for short trips to Uni and friends (5-7KM) as having it in backpack format is good when walking around campus during the day. The bag has an air channel design to allow breathing around your back and has proper chest, should and waist clips/adjustability for support. However when it is loaded up with groceries etc it is quite cumbersome and top heavy, not idea for trips longer than a few KM.

However I have ordered some Ortlieb panniers (2x20L) for trips to work and other longer trips where I need more cargo space, need better handling and give my body more freedom.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Sun May 15, 2011 9:44 am

Woohoo, enablers! :mrgreen:
il padrone wrote:
CommuRider wrote:Yeah I was looking at that - good for the rear rack but the place I saw it (a cycle chic type of website) didn't have it in leather. How waterproof is it?
I don't think it has been tested in rain, but the fabric is very tough and durable to feel and is described as 'highly water-resistant'. I'm pretty confident it'll keep dry for 1/2 hr - 1 hr in rain, not so sure about all-day out in the rain.
Ooh! I have spent more time than I want to admit drooling over that store (and love the brown canvassy looking doctor's bag one) but haven't been game to drop that order of cash without knowing how well put together they are. That endorsement is good info! 8)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 15, 2011 7:37 pm

Just checked with SWMBO and turns out last weekend the bag was used and exposed to plenty of rain. Everything stayed dry inside. The only weak point would be the zipper, which will not be waterproof, but it was not an issue last Sunday in Melbourne.
Mandatory helmet law?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:52 pm

Ok... I have a base training period looming I think. :shock: So, I need a backpack. The $19 Aldi special isn't that comfortable. What I'm after is a light backpack of medium dimensions that is water resistant. Critically I'd like some system to keep the sweat off my back if possible and one that is super comfy to wear. Any thoughts?

I will be using this on the road bike so no point even thinking panniers. :)