A Bag for Commuting

CommuRider

Re: A Bag for Commuting

Postby CommuRider » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Comedian wrote: Critically I'd like some system to keep the sweat off my back if possible and one that is super comfy to wear. Any thoughts?
Won't happen if you don't think panniers :-P

Of course there's always the basket option :-P :lol:
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

maDKient

Postby maDKient » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:13 pm

CommuRider wrote:So....this is my 3rd, 4th bag for commuting (depending if one counts a bag that has never been used).

Anyhoo, I posted this photo in another thread but posting it again ;-) They ran out last year but got notified that this was again in stock and so I am now awaiting delivery :-)

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BAS ... eather-kit

Now, I'm just going to see if I can contain my joy and excitement over the next few weeks :-)

Where other females have a shoe addiction, I have a serious bike bag addiction. So unless I can come across another set of leather panniers which is as stylish as this one...this will serve me, oh say, over the next couple of months. :-) I'll justify this as part of the Autumn collection. If I go by seasons, I can truly justify having 4 sets of panniers.
You ought to update that photo and replace it with a real life one attached to your bike.

I have seen that photo do the rounds many times now :lol: :lol: :lol:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:20 pm

It's too distinct and I'll get the stalkers :-P Maybe one day :-P I'll get a realllllllllly grainy shot. Unless someone here owns up that they have one too! Haven't seen anyone else with it alas :-( I have seen a couple of Brooks Brick Lane riders though :-)

After nearly 6 months of wear and tear, I've had to patch up the back with electrical tape because it was scraping against the bolt connecting the rack (silly moi). It's actually great in the wet so very pleased with it. Not as roomy as the Brooks but 100X more stylish and half the price. Definitely not light but it's my compromise favouring style over the not-so-chic Ortliebs. When Christine posted the Gucci panniers I was a bit tempted but I'm not paying a possible $2K for one that isn't as stylish as this one.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:54 pm

hello all

i will be starting a 50km round commute. I will need to carry clothes, work books and food. I would like to use a back pack. Any suggestions?

any advice would be great
when do we stop for coffee???

Max

Postby Max » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Comedian and BarryTas, you might consider something like a Deuter Cross City backpack (my quick and dirty review here). I think it's discontinued now, but there are many like it at their web site. About halfway down the page, you'll see the bike backpacks section.

The "Air Stripes" system really does work, insofar as you get increased airflow over your back, and as a result less sweat accumulation. It won't leave you completely dry, but it will do a very good job. I used this backpack for around 12 months to do a 56Km round trip commute. In it, I regularly carried my laptop, books, stationery and a change of clothes. Packed to the gills, it could carry all that as well as a toiletries bag, shoes and rain gear. This did make for quite a heavy load which is why I eventually went with panniers. But hey, it did the trick for 12 months and I was happy with the backpack's performance overall. My only issue with the backpack was its colour and lack of reflective piping, which I overcame by using a high-vis backpack cover, which was also waterproof. A good arrangement all round.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:10 pm

cheers Max

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:07 pm

BarryTas wrote:hello all

i will be starting a 50km round commute. I will need to carry clothes, work books and food. I would like to use a back pack. Any suggestions?

For such a distance and load, a pair of good quality panniers + rack is almost your only real option here. Hunt around as prices + stock availability does vary.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Comedian

A Bag for Commuting

Postby Comedian » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:35 pm

BarryTas wrote:hello all

If you've got the option of a rack and pannier system then it's the way to go for sure. :)

Be warned though that the cost to the comfort is weight and aero drag. It's probably worth it though.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:11 pm

When my boss kindly lumbered me with a steam powered laptop my backpack opinions had to change drastically.

I found a High Sierra Hulk does the job as well as any other option I've used. Good capacity, fits the lappy nicely, not excessively sweaty even in a Melbs summer and has a handy pullout hi vis raincover that has not let me down yet even when that Melbs summer day turns to custard.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:41 am

Thanks for the tip on Deuter Max. I reckon I'll go that way if I go. :)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:49 am

Comedian wrote: Be warned though that the cost to the comfort is weight and aero drag. It's probably worth it though.
I'm not so sure. My rack weights nothing (Tubus titanium AIRY 233g) and I only use one pannier (Ortlieb top roller) which all up is not much more than a backpack in weight. My stuff is water tight and safe. The weight is nice and low on the bike. The aero difference would be negligible at commuting speeds, bearing in mind that a backpack is not helping you aero either.

If you have to carry stuff and you have a dedicated commuter bike then I say fit a light rack and get a decent pannier. I have also learnt to travel lighter to work. Swapped to MacBook Air 11" and leave all my clothes at work and only take socks and undies. I have a washing machine and clothes line at work which helps. :P

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:48 am

Max wrote:Comedian and BarryTas, you might consider something like a Deuter Cross City backpack (my quick and dirty review here). I think it's discontinued now, but there are many like it at their web site. About halfway down the page, you'll see the bike backpacks section.

The "Air Stripes" system really does work, insofar as you get increased airflow over your back, and as a result less sweat accumulation. It won't leave you completely dry, but it will do a very good job. I used this backpack for around 12 months to do a 56Km round trip commute. In it, I regularly carried my laptop, books, stationery and a change of clothes. Packed to the gills, it could carry all that as well as a toiletries bag, shoes and rain gear. This did make for quite a heavy load which is why I eventually went with panniers. But hey, it did the trick for 12 months and I was happy with the backpack's performance overall. My only issue with the backpack was its colour and lack of reflective piping, which I overcame by using a high-vis backpack cover, which was also waterproof. A good arrangement all round.

Max
cheers i have ordered on

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:54 pm

Oxford wrote:Comedian, I use a Deuter Futura 22 (22 litres), best pack ever with the airflow design, I have no problems during summer and can carry a significant weight without even noticing it. It doesn't interfere with my shoulder where I have broken the collarbone twice where most bags have been an issue. NExt bag I buy will be another Dueter when needed.
i've been using the Futura 28 for 2 and a half years. Holds a stack of weight and distributes it really well. Still looks new to boot. I love the air flow system. You can keep your panniers

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:24 am

CommuRider wrote:
Comedian wrote: Critically I'd like some system to keep the sweat off my back if possible and one that is super comfy to wear. Any thoughts?
Won't happen if you don't think panniers :-P

Of course there's always the basket option :-P :lol:
Nothing wrong with a basket: no sweaty back, the bike takes the weight and no chance of panniers rubbing on the wheels (which really s***s me).

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:03 pm

DavidS wrote:Nothing wrong with a basket: no sweaty back, the bike takes the weight and no chance of panniers rubbing on the wheels (which really s***s me).
Your pannier rubs on your wheels ?? :?

You need a better set of panniers, or a better rack :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:02 am

il padrone wrote:
DavidS wrote:Nothing wrong with a basket: no sweaty back, the bike takes the weight and no chance of panniers rubbing on the wheels (which really s***s me).
Your pannier rubs on your wheels ?? :?

You need a better set of panniers, or a better rack :wink:
Or a basket with a bag, problem solved :D And, no, I don't have panniers, far prefer a basket!

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Daus

Postby Daus » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:23 am

i had been following this thread with interest- I am commuter (30mins each way) all year round and in all conditions. I have used a quality backpack (30L) with webbing on the back to allow air flow the last 5 years it suits most of my needs but when I have a gym day I need joggers towel and clothes, the backpack is not cutting it to the point where I have been attaching runners externally. I purchased a Barney Russel Blanket Crumpler a week ago and am satisfied with the amount of gear it swallows and it is suitable for my short commute and even in the rain it kept the internals dry. I will keep the backpack for my longer rides.

csy75

Postby csy75 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:18 pm

my ortlieb panniers are great, the ortlieb roller plus panniers,,,bought from w.iggle....can't recommend them enough, very roomy, durable and light.....the carry strap is handy when you arrive at your destination. they were easily adjusted for fitting...

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:37 pm

Daus wrote: I purchased a Barney Russel Blanket Crumpler a week ago and am satisfied with the amount of gear it swallows and it is suitable for my short commute and even in the rain it kept the internals dry. I will keep the backpack for my longer rides.
I've got a wonder weenie, which looks like the same bag, that I've used for a good 5 or so years now. I mostly just carry spare tubes/tools and clothes in it, but also a laptop about once a week for a 50k round trip.

It's holding up well, but the waterproofness does go eventually... mine now soaks in sweat and gets salty inside; time to chuck it in the wash and try another round of DWR treatment.

It's even this colour! Puke and baby sh*t.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:11 pm

After the raves I heard about Crumpler messenger bags - supposedly the bee's knees - I was totally disappointed. It now spends it's time in the cupboard after my equally disappointed daughter returned it to me. It was more than adequately replaced by some $70 backpack from a surplus/camping store.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:33 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:After the raves I heard about Crumpler messenger bags - supposedly the bee's knees - I was totally disappointed. It now spends it's time in the cupboard after my equally disappointed daughter returned it to me. It was more than adequately replaced by some $70 backpack from a surplus/camping store.
Yeh.. I wouldn't say there's anything too special about it.. but I think that's why it lasts: no frills (a couple of internal nylon pockets, big zipped front pocket, bullet proof shoulderstrap, clasp and zips). I think it is very well made and has put up with a fair amount of abuse from me both on and off the bike.

Mine has certainly lasted much longer than any cheap backpack I have used in the past (bike or not).. and still looks ok and functions as new.

I have heard that the quality dropped a few years back when manufacture went offshore; I can't confirm or deny that.

Fortunately, mine was a gift, so I didn't pay through the nose for it :)

I think people are backpack or messenger-bag.. its a personal preference. I also see some trying to sling their bag really low on the hips, I find it much more comfortable to have a small shoulder loop with the bag hitched high above the waist

DRAD81

Postby DRAD81 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:41 pm

I've been using a Deuter Futuer 28 for the last few weeks and am very happy with it.

I leave my towel, shirt and trousers at work but carry my lunch, work shoes, rain jacket, bike lock and bike pump with plenty of room.

On the odd occasion I've even fit a change of clothes. (ie. Jeans, Tshirt and casual shoes) with all the above mentioned items.
I also love the fact that the bag doesn't sit directly on my back (it has a webbing) and the little pockets and inbuilt rain cover

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:40 pm

DRAD81 wrote:I've been using a Deuter Futuer 28 for the last few weeks and am very happy with it.
nice choice. i'd be happy to buy another one

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:21 pm

I have been using the Deuter Race AIR for about six weeks now, the suspension system works well, its comfortable enough, holds enough (a days clothes & lunch/snacks, tools, pump, tube, lock), and did not break the bank (was $110 including the 3L bladder i use on the MTB).

Plus the sexy red/grey colour matches my Sugoi LS jerseys ;-)

Golliwog

Postby Golliwog » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:12 pm

I use a Mission Workshop backpack and its pretty much the best thing ever