Why don't ladies commute?

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Why don't ladies commute?

Postby Comedian » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 am

mikesbytes wrote:There has been a noticeable increase in the number of females commuting to Sydney CBD. This is due to the new city bike paths providing the opportunity to ride separated from the traffic.

The lycra thing pretty much boils down to whether you sweat or not on your ride. If you don't then you can wear your work clothes, but if you do then you need separate clothes for the ride and many choose lycra for its comfort.

Exactly. Sometimes I feel like a bit of a goose :mrgreen: commuting in lycra but the clothes get saturated by the time I get to work, and bike stuff dries well during the day so I'm not putting on wet stuff to ride home in. Plus, as you've said, you've got to wear something. There is absolutely no way I could ride to work in my work clothes as they would be soaked and I'd still need a shower anyway.

I love the concept of riding in your normal clothes but it's just not going to work on the hilly side of Brisbane in any of the warmer months... ie from probably September until May!
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

by BNA » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:16 pm

BNA

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Comedian wrote:I love the concept of riding in your normal clothes but it's just not going to work on the hilly side of Brisbane in any of the warmer months... ie from probably September until May!

Seems like it may have been OK in the past :wink: :mrgreen:

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Comedian » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:25 pm

il padrone wrote:
Comedian wrote:I love the concept of riding in your normal clothes but it's just not going to work on the hilly side of Brisbane in any of the warmer months... ie from probably September until May!

Seems like it may have been OK in the past :wink: :mrgreen:

Nah mate they are about to do a bunch ride and you can bet every one of them has a pair of Assos on under that decoration :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Comedian

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:15 pm

My wife used to commute by bike (she was the rider in the family until 6 months ago!) but totally stopped after her pelvis stopped working during her first pregnancy. She COULD commute again but chooses not to because she lacks the enthusiasm to take the bike trailer and drop our son off at child care.

I think reality kicks in for a lot of women - it is damn hard to be a stay at home mum and use your bike for the grocery run. "I" took some serious cement supplements and have done it, but I can see how the mountain is too steep for many.

I think Sydney is just too hilly to expect people to commute by bike very much. HTFU is considered too macho even for the lads it seems :oops:
Xplora

Postby CommuRider » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Gears.

And she'd need good strong locks so the bike doesn't get stolen while she's shopping. It takes more effort to figure out the logistics if you want to do everything by bike - what to bring, what panniers, what trailer, where to park, is it secure enough etc. It's much easier just to take the car for a spin and do shopping admittedly.

However, it really is up to the enthusiasm of the rider and how well-motivated s/he is. If you set your mind to it, you can probably do it. It just takes a lot of planning involved before the execution. And the execution may not be straightforward and one has to tweak the plans again and again and well, that can get pretty annoying.

It's perfecting the art of cycling around Sydney and well, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby baarg » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:08 pm

Yes, and like someone else said (I think it was Comedian), you have to want to make the change. I don't drive and even if I did I wouldn't drive to work because I just hate traffic and all the stopping, etc. The bus is as bad obviously, but sometimes I have no choice, saying that riding to work at least for me, is the best option. It's more reliable I think.
baarg

Postby CommuRider » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Bus & train for me = BO central due to the stench of non-deodorant people of both genders. I'm sure some do it deliberately because they emit natural "pheromones" but it really is repulsive!!!!

And another reason why I'm on the bike.
CommuRider

Postby jet-ski » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:32 pm

I ride, and catch the the train if I am injured :P or if the heat is getting to me...

When I twisted my ankle and couldn't ride for the first week or so I caught the train and picked up Influenza A & mycoplasma. :(

For me riding is more reliable and probably better for my health in more ways than one!
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
jet-ski

Postby Lizzy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:35 am

Another female commuter here! At the moment I'm only doing 2-3 days on a good week, due to either running out of clothes, places to go after work that are out of (my) range, or generally not having my act together ... this will change!

I know of three other women commuters just in my building, and am lucky that my workplace has much easier access and better end-of-trip facilities than probably many others, and is a pretty non-corporate atmosphere and everyone seems to be cool with bikes leaning up against office walls, wet hair, etc.

It also helps that I'm kid-free and low-maintenance, but as I think others have said, if someone actually wants to ride to work, most real or percieved obstacles can be overcome. I once saw a girl on a fairly legit-looking road bike with a baby in a baby-seat on the back, tearing along a six lane artery & truck route in peak hour - braver woman than me by a long shot, but rendered the automatic "I can't, I have a baby!" argument invalid!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby Lazyweek » Wed May 18, 2011 10:22 am

My girlfriend communtes. She really enjoys. Fortunately most of the trip is on bikeways and the rest is on quiet residental streets. Her work has a bike store room and showers which helps as well.
Lazyweek

Postby Sydguy » Wed May 18, 2011 7:39 pm

I know two girls who want to commute for the fitness but their boyfriends will not allow it. So many people think it is too dangerous to ride a bicycle in Sydney (Australia?). Very sad state of affairs! Time will change that, if the increasing popularity of riding continues then at least our kids might think it is normal to cycle commute.

Cheers
Sydguy

Postby Parker » Wed May 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Sydguy wrote:I know two girls who want to commute for the fitness but their boyfriends will not allow it. So many people think it is too dangerous to ride a bicycle in Sydney (Australia?). Very sad state of affairs! Time will change that, if the increasing popularity of riding continues then at least our kids might think it is normal to cycle commute.

Cheers

There boyfriends will not allow it? I hope those girls smarten up and loose the boyfriends!
Parker

Postby Lizzy » Wed May 18, 2011 10:47 pm

Parker wrote:There boyfriends will not allow it? I hope those girls smarten up and loose the boyfriends!

+1, for real! :o
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby igstar » Thu May 19, 2011 11:47 am

My partner has been a commuter for over 6 months now. Her big motivation initially was the unreliable Melbourne PT (Thanks Metro), now she enjoys it does it every day (except for the worst weather cases).
Her bike went in for a service for a week earlier this month and she couldn't stop complaining how long it's taking to fix it, now she's thinking about N+1...
igstar

Postby bella26 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Parker wrote:
Sydguy wrote:I know two girls who want to commute for the fitness but their boyfriends will not allow it. So many people think it is too dangerous to ride a bicycle in Sydney (Australia?). Very sad state of affairs! Time will change that, if the increasing popularity of riding continues then at least our kids might think it is normal to cycle commute.

Cheers

There boyfriends will not allow it? I hope those girls smarten up and loose the boyfriends!

I agree with Parker. But I have come across this as well. A girl here at work started commuting but would only go if I could ride with her. Her partner is way too overprotective to let her ride on her own. Despite the majority of the commute being on bike lanes he is obsessed wtih the idea that if she rides on her own she is in danger of being assaulted by a stranger.
2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er
bella26

Postby hannos » Thu May 19, 2011 3:04 pm

Parker wrote:

Cheers

another +1

I bet their boyfriends are holden drivers or tradies...

bella26 wrote:I agree with Parker. But I have come across this as well. A girl here at work started commuting but would only go if I could ride with her. Her partner is way too overprotective to let her ride on her own. Despite the majority of the commute being on bike lanes he is obsessed wtih the idea that if she rides on her own she is in danger of being assaulted by a stranger.

oh please...
Do their boyfriends allow them to go to the gym alone? Shopping? walk out their front door?
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby bella26 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:40 pm

hannos wrote:
Parker wrote:

Cheers

another +1

I bet their boyfriends are holden drivers or tradies...

bella26 wrote:I agree with Parker. But I have come across this as well. A girl here at work started commuting but would only go if I could ride with her. Her partner is way too overprotective to let her ride on her own. Despite the majority of the commute being on bike lanes he is obsessed wtih the idea that if she rides on her own she is in danger of being assaulted by a stranger.

oh please...
Do their boyfriends allow them to go to the gym alone? Shopping? walk out their front door?

I couldn't believe it when she told me at first but it is oh so true. He even rode with her the first time to point out possible places someone may be waiting to abduct her from. As a result of his over protectiveness she no longer commutes. So so sad!

I'm the only female in my workplace who commutes in to work...at least I was when I was commuting. Canberra's chilly weather has seen me turn very very soft!
2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er
bella26

Postby il padrone » Thu May 19, 2011 6:49 pm

bella26 wrote:Despite the majority of the commute being on bike lanes he is obsessed wtih the idea that if she rides on her own she is in danger of being assaulted by a stranger.

OMGosh!!

Parental paranoia over the past 20 years has it's logical consequence :roll:

I thought the general approach for personal safety for women was to be strong and confident, not a victim. Any woman cycling is showing herself as a fit, active person, full of self-confidence. I'm not aware of any rash of random sexual assaults on female cyclists.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Some boyfriends are absolute clowns. :roll:
Most riders can roll faster than the average scumbag can run.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby CommuRider » Thu May 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Or control freaks. Hope she isn't being controlled in other aspects of her life!
CommuRider

Postby Comedian » Thu May 19, 2011 8:31 pm

CommuRider wrote:Or control freaks. Hope she isn't being controlled in other aspects of her life!

That's not a great sign for the future is it. :o

Comedian

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 19, 2011 8:36 pm

A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Comedian » Thu May 19, 2011 8:39 pm

Do you have any stats on how many totally hot women bike riders there are out there? I reckon there are heaps. :mrgreen:

Ooops... not very PC :mrgreen: Still I reckon all women that give it a go are hot... in a purely matey kind of way... mental note... must not post after 1 beer... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Comedian

Postby il padrone » Thu May 19, 2011 9:57 pm

And a fair slab of these abductions (30%) were by someone known to the victim ie. the boyfriend :x
il padrone

Postby Nobody » Thu May 19, 2011 10:25 pm

il padrone wrote:

And a fair slab of these abductions (30%) were by someone known to the victim ie. the boyfriend :x
Yeah, the news paints things often as if complete strangers do random crimes with no motive. But after finding out about the real story behind one stabbing murder from a friend who was the victim's next door neighbour, I suspect few are truly random events. I also used to live in a house in Ermington (Sydney) that was next door to a drive by shooting. That was no random event either...
Nobody

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting