Commuter Cup Racing

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Lizzy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:16 pm

Had a chest-burning, teeth-gnashing 7km battle with a lady on a single speed who could be somewhere near my mum's age :shock: Held her off for a couple of k, then once she got past, every time I closed in she shook me back off again. I think I'm gonna hurt tomorrow!

Whoever you are: I wanna be just like you when I grow up :D Plus according to Endomondo it is the fastest I have ever travelled towardswork on two wheels, so that's sumfin' ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
User avatar
Lizzy
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Wild West

by BNA » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:46 am

BNA
 

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:46 am

Lizzy wrote:Had a chest-burning, teeth-gnashing 7km battle with a lady on a single speed who could be somewhere near my mum's age :shock: Held her off for a couple of k, then once she got past, every time I closed in she shook me back off again. I think I'm gonna hurt tomorrow!

Whoever you are: I wanna be just like you when I grow up :D Plus according to Endomondo it is the fastest I have ever travelled towardswork on two wheels, so that's sumfin' ...


Datsun 120Y on the outside, Ferrari on the inside
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 15010
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Chris249 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:34 pm

Nobody wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Oh, yes you are. Girls on bikes are always scary. Especially when they're about to pass you. ;)
+1. Girl passing me MUST NOT HAPPEN! :wink: Although it's bound to happen one day. :( :oops:


My wife is quite quick on the commute; faster than maybe 80-90% of men, or more. She's also got a full stock of imported clothing that is designed for cycling but not to look like cycling gear, including a new set of limited-edition DZR boots with inset SPD cleats.

When she zaps her CX bike past guys while wearing a dress and boots you can hear the shattering of male egoes from miles off. :D

Mind you, I got caught napping on a recovery ride with CX bike, knobbies and full panniers and got passed by a middle-aged woman on a flat bar..... I could have turned on the juice and got past her but that would have been rude so it was just a case of sitting behind her and taking it, while idly whistling to try to give a casual air..... :oops:
There are many types of racing cyclists. There is the sprinter, the rouleur, the stagiaire, the danser, the descender.... sadly, I'm a mediocre. :-(

2003 Cervelo P2K time trial bike
2010 Merida Cyclocross 4
2008 Giant SS/track
2008 Vivente Como roadie
Chris249
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Despite not coming upon a single cyclist on my home commute tonight, I had the race face on for most of the way, due to the need for a natural break
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 15010
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 pm

Chris249 wrote:When she zaps her CX bike past guys while wearing a dress and boots you can hear the shattering of male egoes from miles off. :D
This is not a problem for me now as you don't live in Sydney anymore. As long as the fast ones stay away from me, I can continue to be happy on my rides. :D

Chris249 wrote:Mind you, I got caught napping on a recovery ride with CX bike, knobbies and full panniers and got passed by a middle-aged woman on a flat bar..... I could have turned on the juice and got past her but that would have been rude so it was just a case of sitting behind her and taking it, while idly whistling to try to give a casual air..... :oops:
Yeah, good tactic. That's probably what I'd probably do if I was caught napping. Although I'm usually wired on just about every ride these days. Don't get out as much as I'd like this year.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6717
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Baldy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 pm

Chris249 wrote:My wife is quite quick on the commute; faster than maybe 80-90% of men, or more. She's also got a full stock of imported clothing that is designed for cycling but not to look like cycling gear, including a new set of limited-edition DZR boots with inset SPD cleats.


:oops:

Sounds like she has a PhD in being awesome.
Baldy
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Lizzy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:43 am

mikesbytes wrote:Datsun 120Y on the outside, Ferrari on the inside


:lol: Hmm, don't know if I'd say she looked like a 120Y ...

The good news - that same afternoon at a set of lights, I received a distinct "no girl shall pass" vibe with a male rider I judged to be on or near my rung of the ladder ... well it took a while (abandoned pursuit due to dangerous overtaking of peds), but once it was clear I wore him down :mrgreen:

Chris249, I'd better not find out where your wife buys her riding gear, I think I can hear my wallet whimpering in fear ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
User avatar
Lizzy
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Wild West

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Lizzy wrote:Chris249, I'd better not find out where your wife buys her riding gear, I think I can hear my wallet whimpering in fear ...


+1 Keep the details away. I've already blown my budget for the past few months!!! :lol:

But I would really still like to know where she buys from... No I wouldn't!... Yes I would!. No! Yes! No! Argggghhh!!! *brain explodes*
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1800
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Lizzy wrote: I received a distinct "no girl shall pass" vibe with a male rider


Perfect for a quick easy ride. Suck his wheel while he works his butt off and each time he shows signs of cracking, jump out of the slipstream and roll forward a little, but not fast enough that he thinks he's going to get a free ride off you.
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 15010
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Lizzy wrote: I received a distinct "no girl shall pass" vibe with a male rider


Perfect for a quick easy ride. Suck his wheel while he works his butt off and each time he shows signs of cracking, jump out of the slipstream and roll forward a little, but not fast enough that he thinks he's going to get a free ride off you.
Just to show that tactic doesn't work for everyone, anyone who sucks my wheel will be usually waved to pass as I slow to give them incentive to do it.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6717
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby nickobec » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:37 pm

on the commute home, got caught at a road intersection by a commuter on a road bike, he decided he wanted the the scalp of the fool commuting on a TT bike. So he overtook me, while I was clipping in and hit it hard, I responded while staying on the base bars in the small (44T) chainring. He had my lights burning on his back, every little corner and there are a few between Cranford Road & Murdoch station, he would hit it hard and I would respond. In the end I just put him out of misery on the short climb out of Murdoch Station, still on base bars and small chainring, I just hit it and he just disappeared.
User avatar
nickobec
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Perth or 42km south as the singlespeed flies

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu May 02, 2013 8:27 pm

2012 Oppy A4
User avatar
KonaCommuter
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Brisbane Northside

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu May 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Hilarious Kona :)
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby ldrcycles » Thu May 02, 2013 8:45 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Hilarious Kona :)


+1, "don't read my speedo", *reads speedo, falls off chair laughing :lol: . Love your work kona :D .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 7078
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Summernight » Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 pm

Turtle CCR, Kona? :P

You've shown us slowpokes that it is possible. :D
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1800
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby gretaboy » Fri May 03, 2013 11:33 am

Kona...that rider looked like he was wearing Dunlop volleys...and your going to claim that ???? lol standards are getting lower and lower

will wait for the day you post a CCR that involves a kid with trainer wheels :)
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 10, 2013 9:14 am

Horse power is no match for mikes horse power



Lucky I didn't get a speeding ticket
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 15010
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Summernight » Fri May 10, 2013 11:04 am

mikesbytes wrote:Horse power is no match for mikes horse power



Lucky I didn't get a speeding ticket


Pretty ponies! You've made Summer happy. :P

And passed with 1.5 metres to spare, I hope!

I'm surprised car drivers don't honk them for being slow vehicles riding two abreast and blocking the road... Oh wait... :P

P.S. What's with the weird camera work after you pass?
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1800
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Hand held camera?

I got whupped today. Footscray Rd from Sims St to Collins in the CBD. I was right in the zone and feeling good with an 8/2 KDR when, just as I get to the overpass over the docks rail line I flatted :( All those places, gone in less than two minutes :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26324
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Nobody » Fri May 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Mulger bill wrote:...just as I get to the overpass over the docks rail line I flatted :(
Surely that can't be the case. Don't you run Gators? :P
Nobody
 
Posts: 6717
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Nobody wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:...just as I get to the overpass over the docks rail line I flatted :(
Surely that can't be the case. Don't you run Gators? :P

Gators are proof agin glass, mortar rounds up to 76mm and the pubes of the puncture fairy but they can't stop snakes munching on a tube :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26324
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Nobody » Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Mulger bill wrote:...but they can't stop snakes munching on a tube :(
So you didn't float/lighten enough and/or not enough pressure?
Nobody
 
Posts: 6717
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat May 11, 2013 10:59 am

mikesbytes wrote:Horse power is no match for mikes horse power



Lucky I didn't get a speeding ticket




That's awesome.
2012 Oppy A4
User avatar
KonaCommuter
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Brisbane Northside

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 11, 2013 11:23 am

Summernight wrote:
P.S. What's with the weird camera work after you pass?


Hand held my phone. As I went past I pointed it at the police officer, she gave me a big smile
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 15010
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 11, 2013 11:57 am

Nobody wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:...but they can't stop snakes munching on a tube :(
So you didn't float/lighten enough and/or not enough pressure?

Not really sure, classic inner side of tube double cut so snakebite is a definite but the biggest thing I hit was a bit of crap flicked up by the rider I was about to pass about 100m from the spot where I stopped. Made a good clang when I hit it. :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26324
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers