Commuter Cup Racing

goneriding

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby goneriding » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:23 pm

ft_critical wrote:...I raise my cadence, but I knew it was incontinent...
incontinent cadence! Do you need special socks for that?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:54 pm

goneriding wrote:
ft_critical wrote:...I raise my cadence, but I knew it was incontinent...
incontinent cadence! Do you need special socks for that?
If not, you certainly should have booties :lol:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:02 pm

Xplora wrote:I've been commuting at 6am this last week, so many riders out there. Had to share today's experience. Under Silverwater Bridge on the north side is pretty bad for people turning towards the city. Caught a bunch halfway along the line turning off the bridge, and they responded very well (props to the cycling club in the light blue kit, well managed the corner because they know they can't just carve in for that spot).

Anyways... got into the line and realised that they weren't going as fast as I wanted so I overtook 12 club riders at 38kmh and made it stick. EPIC FTW :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Yes, you can start the adulation now. I'm sure that counts for huge points on the official rules! :mrgreen:
You do know that Friday is the standard recovery ride day, don't you? :roll: :oops: :mrgreen:

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:53 pm

wow this is very exciting, I havn't seen this thread!

touch wood I don't have anyone serious to follow on my rides to and from work! mind you as soon as I see someone ahead of me i'm on the tour de france and have to catch them! but most people are riding the opposite way! or are riding to the army barracks (I don't believe there are any bragging rights when an aj has 60 plus kg back pack on and passing them) I get to pass a few people on mtb doing there commute, best one is a lovely smelling young lady, (you can smell her perfume before you can see her) and you get the odd cyclist but not many! Touch wood the only time i've been passed is at a set of lights, I passed him a few km's before, I got the red and stopped , and then when it went green I started and he went pass, that's in 4 months of riding!

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:09 am

only 2 mtb's passed in the first 5km , nothing after that :(

westab

Postby westab » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:12 am

Thought I was going to be a CF road bike riders rabbit this morning on the M7 in Sydney.

Got on the path for my usual 10km (5km on the path) to work and saw the rider approaching with about 150m to catch me. Resolved myself that I was going to get caught and then dropped on one of the two hills that I struggle up each day (one short sharp hill one longer not too steep one) but I also resolved that the CF rider was going to have to work to get me. The flat section between the one ramp and the first hill I kept it at 26km/h and then went steadily up the first hill due to the sharp bend half way up that some riders on the way down cut the corner. Mr CF closed half the distance on this hill. I thought I might be able to take some ground back on the flat sections and across the railway bridge so I went for some gears and went as quickly as possible without pushing too hard. I got it back to where we started. :) It looked like Mr CF knew I was slow up the hills and was just waiting for the longer one.

Reached the longer hill - thought if I could just crest it first I would be getting off at the next exit after a short downhill - look in mirror good same distance; up I go as hard as possible - first time ever that I never fell below 20km/h on that hill Mr CF clossed to about 100m as I went over the top and went for the large chainring and kept smashing self. Next exit I got off without seeing Mr CF again. :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D

Sure after the long hill I could take my pulse by listening to the sound of it beating in my ears - but I arrived at work happy.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

98octane

Postby 98octane » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:19 am

Last night, I started riding home from Melbourne CBD at around 7:30pm. It was still 33C, so I took it a bit easier along Birrarung Marr at around 33kph.

As I reached Batman Ave, I saw two guys on roadies race past towards the Yarra at 40kph+. Game on. I passed the first within 300m. The next one was going faster on a full carbon bike. I caught up with him on the MYT just past the Swan St bridge. As he was going ~37kph up the incline, I stayed with him rather than passing. When we passed the crest at Morell Bridge, he increased his speed and we maintained 38-40kph along the Yarra for about 4 km (except where held up by peds and slower cyclists).

Just after the hill near Loys Paddock Reserve, I offered to take the lead and then did so. I increased the pace through the dip under MacRob Bridge and settled in at 39-41kph along the Yarra Boulevard up to the St Kevin's boathouse. He stayed with me at that pace. At that point, I turned onto the road on Yarra Blvd. I gave a "thanks for the ride" wave, which he acknowledged with the customary nod before he continued along the Gardiners Creek bridge.

I arrived home a few minutes later in a time close to my PB. I love commuting. 8)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 am

check me out smashing these freds! suck it up losers!!1! :mrgreen:

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:25 pm

2012 Oppy A4

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:38 am

KonaCommuter wrote:
"This video is not sped up" :lol:

Loved it!

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Summernight wrote:
"This video is not sped up" :lol:

Loved it!

I tried really hard to catch up to him as well :lol:
2012 Oppy A4

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:33 pm

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:38 pm

ft_critical wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MiQCI66 ... r_embedded[/youtube]

Nice one 8)
2012 Oppy A4

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:37 am

Toasting one of KonaCommuter's mates :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbQuVmET4QQ&hd=1[/youtube]

Andrew
Andrew

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 am

Aushiker wrote:Toasting one of KonaCommuter's mates :)

Andrew

:lol:

I've been thinking about riding my road bike but the Gazelle is just the more sensible choice for my commute.
2012 Oppy A4

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:05 am

Andrew
His cycle fashion is very chic. :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Andrew
Loved the slow motion replay of the scalp being taken :lol: . Nice work. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Going home yesterday it was hot and I was just going home in a cruisy manner until I had this happen
Spotted a cyclist catching me, until they went past me and I saw what it was!!!!

Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Going home yesterday it was hot and I was just going home in a cruisy manner until I had this happen
Spotted a cyclist catching me, until they went past me and I saw what it was!!!!
You'll have to spell it out to me (maybe I missed something because I have my sound muted). Apart from the baby carrier, what was it that made it so special?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Summernight wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Going home yesterday it was hot and I was just going home in a cruisy manner until I had this happen
You'll have to spell it out to me (maybe I missed something because I have my sound muted). Apart from the baby carrier, what was it that made it so special?
2 minutes to catch a guy with a child carrier. he deserved to keep those CCR points.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Summernight wrote:You'll have to spell it out to me (maybe I missed something because I have my sound muted). Apart from the baby carrier, what was it that made it so special?
Baalzamon was on a drop bar bike (CX from the sig) and the passer was on a MTB. The CX bike should be about 2 to 4 Km/h faster mainly due to better aero, but also depending on tyre differences. Therefore Baalzamon didn't want to take the insult of being passed by a MTB which should be slower.

From what I can see of the cadence of the passer, he was burning the wick at both ends and so wasn't going to last long anyway. Just having a go. Baalzamon played the standard tactic I use of catching, having a rest, then passing convincingly.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 pm

that guy was hammering along with 2" tyres on a mtb. Normally I would have roadies pass me at that speed and I was having none of that with him... I was as I said cruising doing 22-24kph, had to scoot upto 32kph to catch him, settled down to 28kph, upto 30kph when he noticed me, and then I scooted to 35kph going past him. Strong rider and for me 125kg on 12kg bike carrying clothes & 2 bidons and I've been off the bike for a bit, see my strava totals for the year so far?

I'm running schwable marathon plus 700x28 tyres

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 pm

Nobody wrote:
Summernight wrote:You'll have to spell it out to me (maybe I missed something because I have my sound muted). Apart from the baby carrier, what was it that made it so special?
Baalzamon was on a drop bar bike (CX from the sig) and the passer was on a MTB. The CX bike should be about 2 to 4 Km/h faster mainly due to better aero, but also depending on tyre differences. Therefore Baalzamon didn't want to take the insult of being passed by a MTB which should be slower.

From what I can see of the cadence of the passer, he was burning the wick at both ends and so wasn't going to last long anyway. Just having a go. Baalzamon played the standard tactic I use of catching, having a rest, then passing convincingly.
Okies. Thanks for that clarification. MTB passing me on a road bike = bad form. Gotcha. :lol:
I did notice the baby bike rider was stuffed at the end of the video and just gave up. Definitely looked like he tried to put in some effort to stay in front. :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Nobody wrote:Baalzamon played the standard tactic I use of catching, having a rest, then passing convincingly.
I'll have to remember that. :lol:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:46 pm

It was also 36 degrees so bloody hot hence I was in cruise mode keeping my body temp down. Really enjoyed it when I got to Yangebup lake, the temperature just plummeted a few degrees enabling me to cool down very nicely. Didn't want to but no way was I being passed by that....