Commuter Cup Racing

hannos

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby hannos » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:33 am

Almost chased a guy down westbound on the M5 yesterday afternoon. I was probably following him for about 3km after I first saw him and we were both going at a fair pace!

The mongrel turned off at the last exit before the tolls and I was only about 50m behind him by then!
2010 BMC SLC01

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:18 am

Have to briefly go onto the pavement on my commute and lo and behold, opportunity presents itself. A couple on matching his and hers maroon mobility scooters
I dived past the woman, cut right and took the man just before he entered the cross-over to the side-road.
Don’t be deceived the Invacare Shoprider 889SL has a mean kick, so pretty please with my victory.

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:43 am

ft_critical wrote:Have to briefly go onto the pavement on my commute and lo and behold, opportunity presents itself. A couple on matching his and hers maroon mobility scooters
I dived past the woman, cut right and took the man just before he entered the cross-over to the side-road.
Don’t be deceived the Invacare Shoprider 889SL has a mean kick, so pretty please with my victory.

Bonus points for you as they have 4 wheels!
2010 BMC SLC01

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:07 pm

ft_critical wrote:Have to briefly go onto the pavement on my commute and lo and behold, opportunity presents itself. A couple on matching his and hers maroon mobility scooters
Next you need one of those airhorns to really scare the crappers outta them! :mrgreen:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:35 am

ft_critical wrote: A couple on matching his and hers maroon mobility scooters
I like it. It's stylish and its a his-and-hers? How sweet...
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:10 am

I've had a couple of good ones over the last 24 hours and have come up with a new way of winning the Cup. First one was last night chasing down and following a guy around the Ultimo waterfront. I gave him some space (i.e. no drafting) but he insisted on pushing the pace around to ANZAC Bridge and then pushed hard on the up ramp until he blew up at which point I passed him.

This morning I got the same guy 3 times on the way in as we were taking similar routes. He was getting ahead of me on shorter parts of his ride which meant having to chase him down each time. It makes the commute much more fun.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Coming off my training ride into town this morning I had this thing with a guy that went past me, and then I passed him, and then he passed me... and then .... going up a hill he was really working... and I cruised up beside him and he just yelled "I give up - you win" :mrgreen:

We carried on after that and had a good old chat :D

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:29 pm

Comedian wrote:Coming off my training ride into town this morning I had this thing with a guy that went past me, and then I passed him, and then he passed me... and then .... going up a hill he was really working... and I cruised up beside him and he just yelled "I give up - you win" :mrgreen:

We carried on after that and had a good old chat :D
Excellent :mrgreen:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:42 pm

Ok, I'm not sure if this really counts but I raced against a rabbit today - the furry animal of the four legged kind - and won.

It was 50m ahead of me and then it started hopping fast when it saw me and then hop hop hop hop and then it stopped as I rode passed and watched me its big brown eyes. It didn't hop to its burrow but was just watching me behind the trees. Somehow I felt the at-avis-tic urge to have shot it and skinned it. Mmmmmmmm rabbit. *shrugs* Rabbit fur is really nice material and the leather has soft qualities. And it's a pest in this country so I wouldn't feel too bad. And I need a new pair of leather gloves...missed opportunity.

And last night after my boozy night there was another rabbit that hopped in front of me. I'm seeing too many rabbits this week.

Edit:

For some reason the word "at-avis-tic" appears !!! Spammer !!! when spelled fully. Why?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 pm

hannos wrote:Almost chased a guy down westbound on the M5 yesterday afternoon. I was probably following him for about 3km after I first saw him and we were both going at a fair pace!

The mongrel turned off at the last exit before the tolls and I was only about 50m behind him by then!
Ah, that annoys me. Doesn't it make you feel cheated?! :lol:

sturmey archer

Postby sturmey archer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Dammn you all!
I was trying to take it easy on the way to work this morning.

I must learn to stop getitng suckered in to trying to keep up to people who pass me.
I must learn to stop getting suckered in to trying to keep up to people who pass me.
I must learn to stop getting suckered in to trying to keep up to people who pass me.
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:33 am

I think we need to get a jersey made - something along the lines of "Don't tempt me - recovery ride in progress" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Whenever I try a recovery ride that seems to be when all the fun starts. :oops:

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:19 am

Comedian wrote: Whenever I try a recovery ride that seems to be when all the fun starts. :oops:

I suppose I was on a recovery ride on the way home last night. I noticed another cyclist catching my up the hill on Narrellan Road. This was after 50km or so of commuting.

Started channelling Jens and prevented him from catching me :)
2010 BMC SLC01

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:32 am

I was the rabbit this morning. I didn't know he was there until he was on my wheel. Glanced over the shoulder, he looked like it was hurting :P

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:02 am

Got run down this morning going over ANZAC Bridge whilst not paying attention :( I didn't get the chance to repay the favour as we parted ways at the bottom of the on ramp. In my defense, no there isn't one. Must HTFU

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:05 am

Fletcher wrote:I was the rabbit this morning. I didn't know he was there until he was on my wheel. Glanced over the shoulder, he looked like it was hurting :P
Glanced over your shoulder huh?

Well if he didn't overtake and stay in front, he didn't win!
2010 BMC SLC01

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:54 pm

I had to get involved the other day, I was rapidly descending on BSO and just in front was a squeeze point (Cooks River Canterbury rd underpass) which takes some riders down to walking pace so I needed to get past before. After judging the speed of the BSO compared with mine and the distances, I upped my speed by about 2kph to ensure that the pass occurred before the squeeze point
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:05 pm

Had a great one riding to work the other day;

I was testing out an old Trek 1410 (Possible future father-in-laws old racer) by commuting to work down Camberwell Road (Melbourne). Guy on a newish Avanti kept running reds and weaving in and out of traffic ahead of me, so on principle i chased him down and stormed past him. Problem was though, he kept getting past me on the reds/traffic jams and looking over his shoulder with a smirk every time he passed me. Figured 'I've had enough of this guy' as we came to the bottom of a hill, and really put the power down coming up the hill, easily passed him half way to the top and really got down and aero for the ride down the other side. Look over my should towards the bottom of the hill and all i can see is a blur of legs as this guy tries to keep up :D.

Never saw him for the rest of the ride, either.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:52 pm

I've rarely come across any rabbits of noteworthiness in the last 10mths on my current 60km route, but in the last 2 days i've come across a guy who pretty much rides at exactly my pace.
He's on a classic silver Bianchi fixie and i'm on singlespeed, he doesn't like being passed and loves sitting on my wheel like hes trying to prove a point when I do.
I tend to sit at least 10 metres off him - preferring to do my own work and not sucking wheel on about 30-34. No pain, no gain I say.
Even though neither of us 'win' the most satisfying part is I've caught him a few times glancing over his shoulder looking for me, he thinks he's dropped me. Lol - oh he's trying thats for sure! He rides pretty recklessly too, and thats coming from no saint of road rules, I'd should say g'day but he wears cut off skinny leg jeans and a woolen top :P
Wonder if I'll see him again tonight...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Just before I got onto Roe Hwy I saw another commuter that I was catching quite quickly. Got to Roe HWY PSP and saw that he was heading the same direction I was going :mrgreen: Hunted him down quickly and overtook him quite rapidly and battled into the headwind.

Then again just as I had gone over South St going downhill I saw another commuter ahead of me. With the speed of the downhill still pushing me I got into catching distance of him. Sat back and recovered a bit and waited for the hill. Got to within 5m of him before the minor hill and got into a fairly high cadence and spun up the hill passing him quite quickly 8) I suspected he would want to try to draft me so I kept the hammer down going up the hill. Looked back in my mirror and saw I was a good 300m infront of him. Slowed down a bit to recover and he was slowly regaining me. Increased my speed again I I lost him :mrgreen:

If I see anyone going home, chance are I'm being passed tho :( But they typically ain't commuting
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 pm

CommuRider wrote:Ok, I'm not sure if this really counts but I raced against a rabbit today - the furry animal of the four legged kind - and won.
I was riding up the gateway bridge one night a while ago and there was a possum up ahead of me. Evidently my bike/lights scared it so it took off up the bridge (the bikepath over the bridge is an enclosed track, ~2.5km total). Had a good turn of speed on it for a possum, I didn't catch it until about halfway up :lol:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:12 am

lethoso wrote:Evidently my bike/lights scared it so it took off up the bridge (the bikepath over the bridge is an enclosed track, ~2.5km total). Had a good turn of speed on it for a possum, I didn't catch it until about halfway up :lol:
Was the possum on steroids? :shock:

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:35 am

CommuRider wrote:Was the possum on steroids?
EPO

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:25 pm

goneriding wrote:
CommuRider wrote:Was the possum on steroids?
EPO
Nah, probably got into the rubbish bins at KFC
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 pm

I got into a sprint with a dog once. It had a leadout from it's owner too, but went too early and faded with about 50 to go. Lucky it wasn't a greyhound or I might have been struggling.