Commuter Cup Racing

Xplora

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:09 pm

Beat a car full of hoon idiots yesterday AND made it stick 8)

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Xplora wrote:Beat a car full of hoon idiots yesterday AND made it stick 8)

Nice work
2012 Oppy A4

Milar

Postby Milar » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:59 am

Had a nice one this morning. Rounded a long corner into a long straight and there was a fully team kit, carbon bike rider on a training ride. There was a slight head wind so it was with great pleasure I caught just as we hit a rise and without getting out of the saddle (unlike the roadie) I gave a quick "passing right" followed by a pleasant "good morning". Then proceeded to keep the foot down and pulled away... rack and pannier bag, fluro vest wearing, baggy shorted upstart that I am :D

Had another fun one a week ago too. Started closing in on a roadie who saw me and upped his speed. I matched speed but didn't close in or drop off. He was looking behind every 10 secs or so with me about 15m behind at 37-38 kmph, it was really starting to freak him out! :twisted: We did this for a couple of km and he suddenly pulled off. Maybe he was going to anyway but I like to think he was about to pop and couldn't bear the shame of it all :wink:

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:04 am

:lol: Couple of good ones there Milar.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Tell us your route Milar & I will make sure to avoid it - don't want my hopes & dreams crushed just yet

Milar

Postby Milar » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:11 pm

find_bruce wrote:Tell us your route Milar & I will make sure to avoid it - don't want my hopes & dreams crushed just yet
lol. It all sounds good until you see me a few k's along hanging over my bar with my tongue hanging out! I'm riding around SOP and either take Silverwater bridge or Rhodes bridge depending on mood.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:44 am

Out for 70km aerobic zone ride this morning – read 29kmh avg. I picked up 4 Tour de Cure riders on a 1km hill. Said hello as we were waiting at the lights. On Parriwi (a 5.5% 1.3km climb) the white shirted TDC dude came round, stood and dropped the hammer. I went meh. A second black TDC rider came half round, then dropped back and put me in the box behind another rider. Well that annoyed me. If you can’t go round, you don’t try. So I pushed out of the box, resumed tempo and dropped his ass. Mr Whitey had 50m on me but I was angry at him too. So I lifted and got his back wheel by the top but didn’t pass him. I think only Mr White was maxing because it wasn’t that hard, 24kmh avg for the climb. I like this CCR because, it is a double, won and lost.

Anyone understand the TDC jerseys and numbers?

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:16 pm

Haven't been passed on a commute all year.....

Problem is I've only passed one old bloke on possibly the worst BSO you will ever see! I could hear it before I could see it! Still kicking myself for not getting photos :cry:

munga

Postby munga » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:41 pm

bosvit wrote:Haven't been passed on a commute all year.....

Problem is I've only passed one old bloke on possibly the worst BSO you will ever see! I could hear it before I could see it! Still kicking myself for not getting photos :cry:
yeah, but you're in taswegia. there's only you and two other blokes with bikes, and the other bloke died four years ago..

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:38 pm

munga wrote:
bosvit wrote:Haven't been passed on a commute all year.....

yeah, but you're in taswegia. there's only you and two other blokes with bikes, and the other bloke died four years ago..
Cool I'm on holidays, I always thought I lived in western SA..... LOL

But you are right the only other cyclist may as well be dead.... :D Must be a painter thing...

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Wow, two fairish contests this morning alone (a rare event for me). As I'm warming up about half a k out from home on the PSP, guy cruises past on a comparable machine to mine. He hears me coasting and braking behind him and promptly takes off running - game on! Had to wait a bit for my chance to shine due to AM dogwalkers and peak bike flow coming the other way, but delivered a sound rebuttal. +1 :)

Then slid comfortably past another guy on what should have been a much faster flat-bar than mine (he can't have been trying).
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

dillonp

Postby dillonp » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:06 pm

we have so many commuting stories at work that at the end of last year we ran a 'Commuting World Championship' one-off race up Mt Coot-tha in Bris. It settled all the tall stories.
I won from 7 guys :wink:
7 steel bikes and counting

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:19 am

I got overtaken the other day b y a dude wearing full HiVis shirt and trousers, and a pair of road shoes on an oldschool road bike. He just managed to sneak past me just past a set of lights, so I can only assume he was already in and rolling when the lights went green.

Unfortunately the traffic prevented me from overtaking him again, something I was most disappointed (well, probably embarrassed) about. He was about 3-4km/h slower on the whole section than I normally am, but there was nothing I could do about it.

The dude even had a piece of rope as a belt, and must have had a hell of a sweat up to ride to work in HiVis gear.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:18 pm

had a funny encounter this morning. i was on an easy day, but gently overtook a young guy on a roadie on the Kew Blvd. he was obviously a newbie, wearing runners and an '80s aerobics costume. on the next hill, he comes charging past, out of the seat, all over the shop, giving it 110%. i sat behind him as he glided downhill, no pedalling, then on the next incline he got stuck in again. i could see him struggling as his whole body weight shifted over each pedal. then - i kid you not - he gave a banzai shriek at the top of his lungs, as he struggled to maintain momentum. i couldn't overtake him, it would have lost him too much face and i was enjoying myself sitting in behind him. then he turned off :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:27 pm

jules21 wrote:had a funny encounter this morning. i was on an easy day, but gently overtook a young guy on a roadie on the Kew Blvd. he was obviously a newbie, wearing runners and an '80s aerobics costume. on the next hill, he comes charging past, out of the seat, all over the shop, giving it 110%. i sat behind him as he glided downhill, no pedalling, then on the next incline he got stuck in again. i could see him struggling as his whole body weight shifted over each pedal. then - i kid you not - he gave a banzai shriek at the top of his lungs, as he struggled to maintain momentum. i couldn't overtake him, it would have lost him too much face and i was enjoying myself sitting in behind him. then he turned off :)
so he won :D

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:03 pm

well no, as i could have overtaken him any time i wanted. ok technically yes, but the point is that i lost with a lot more style, by not getting out of the seat and screaming at the road. so it was a moral victory. yes :D

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:18 pm

jules21 wrote:well no, as i could have overtaken him any time i wanted. ok technically yes, but the point is that i lost with a lot more style, by not getting out of the seat and screaming at the road. so it was a moral victory. yes :D
...........so he won :lol:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:16 pm

jules21 wrote:well no, as i could have overtaken him any time i wanted. ok technically yes, but the point is that i lost with a lot more style, by not getting out of the seat and screaming at the road. so it was a moral victory. yes :D
I'm afraid the correct action in these cases is to pull alongside and attempt to open up a conversation. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:16 pm

i will remember that one. even better with a camera :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Comedian wrote:
I'm afraid the correct action in these cases is to pull alongside and attempt to open up a conversation. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
+1

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Had some fun on the way home today. A roadie rode past while I was waiting on the side of the road. I gave him a nod to say and he ignored me. So I chased him and passed him then he passed me back. I waited and on the next hill I got him without getting out of the saddle.

Then I turned left for my normal ride home :D

It got me a KOM on one of segments on the way home.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:09 am

Andrew
Andrew

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:00 am

Aushiker wrote:Image

Andrew
so the girl in the yellow/greenish top beat the guy in black I assume????? hahaha

the guy in black looks like he certainly takes his commute seriously

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:02 am

This is from my trip to Melb. I was leaving the city and decided not to turn from Collins St onto the tramway on Swanson St owing to the bicycle policeman situated on all four corners. I went up to Russell and came back down Flinders. Whilst waiting in the 4 lanes of traffic to turn into St Kilda Rd, some guy in Cycling shorts with those 1980’s ultra short, high side-split yellow running shorts over them, was weaving in and out of the cars. He was on an old steel frame with toe-clips. All of a sudden he disappeared. As all the traffic started to move off on the green I passed him groveling around on the ground in front of a car – he flushed bright red in embarrassment as I rolled past. Slightly later on St Kilda Rd, noted 80’s commuter, sporting a lovely Cat4 Tattoo, came and propped in front of me a the lights. He charged off.
I saw a little ahead that he then sat on another commuter on a mountain bike with a backpack. The MTB commuter was working as hard as he could, bouncing as he drove the pedals. At some point, he got sick of the 80s commuter drafting him and wiggled his right arm. I nearly cracked up. A commuter, on St Kilda rd doing a TDF elbow wave. It was hysterical. But the 80’s commuter wouldn’t come through. So the MTB commuter pulls left and starts abusing him for not sharing the work at the ‘front’ of the 3 man (there was some other random with them) peleton. I could make out that he was explaining the ‘rules’ of driving the ‘bunch.’ I couldn’t believe it. It was so funny.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:36 pm

ft_critical wrote:A commuter, on St Kilda rd doing a TDF elbow wave.
that's hilarious. the other guy should have done a token turn, then waved him back through, a la gerro :)