KonaCommuter

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:24 pm

2012 Oppy A4

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Strewth, giveablokeaheartattackwhydon'cha? :shock:

When the camera tipped over at the start I thought you'd hit the deck!

argon_18

Commuter Cup Racing

Postby argon_18 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Good ride home tonight. As usual thought I'd be taking it easy with a focus on an effort on a couple of strava segments that I find challenging. Then it started...

Was coming down the bike path southeast outbound after coming off the goodwill bridge. Saw the aftermath of a crash last week here so was cruising, hanging back behind a roller blader. Then out of nowhere, I get overtaken on a blind corner by rider with no lights with scant regard for anyone else, then cuts off the roller blader as they continue on down the path. 'Idiot' I think to myself as I bare right onto river terrace approaching the southern bike path for the journey home, thinking I'll not be bothered again by the inconsiderate rider.

Then as I'm about to join the southern path I see the rider cut over the road and join the path about 30-40m in front of me... It's on.

Got out of the saddle up the short steep climb and was able to catch them by the second bridge. Sat behind them putting a bit of pressure on with the 2 500lumen lights making shadows in front. They were pushing relatively hard but I was able to keep up (maybe 30-35km/h) we caught up with a third rider who seemed to join the pace line. I sat at the back waiting for the o'keefe street rise I was planning to pass.

Picked up some speed on the descent and as the gradient increased, stood up out of the saddle and passed them both with some decent power. As I passed the lead rider (the one without lights who was obnoxious earlier) I gave them a quick, "back light's not working" and powered up the rise putting some distance on them.

Off the path and onto stone's corner, lost them both (perhaps in different directions) but was quite chuffed with myself. Especially considering only a few weeks back I was huffing and puffing very slowly up that same rise.

That and 3 more segments after got me 2 PBs. Nice ride.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Yeah, I set the bar low :lol:

2012 Oppy A4

find_bruce

Commuter Cup Racing

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Nice, good to see you are maintaing Kona rules

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:18 pm

find_bruce wrote:Nice, good to see you are maintaing Kona rules

I think I’ll wait near a Primary School to set a new low :shock:
2012 Oppy A4

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:00 pm

finally had some CCR. road bike behind brssy boys/brissy girls could see his light approaching. he passed me and kept the pace so i kept up with him but just at the top of the rise (where college rd is) he gave or so i blasted by. he finally caught up to me at the traffic lights to roma st. i said "that was fun" and he agreed.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:01 pm

jasonc wrote:finally had some CCR. road bike behind brssy boys/brissy girls could see his light approaching. he passed me and kept the pace so i kept up with him but just at the top of the rise (where college rd is) he gave or so i blasted by. he finally caught up to me at the traffic lights to roma st. i said "that was fun" and he agreed.

Nice work.

Get a cam to share the fun :)
2012 Oppy A4

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:19 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Get a cam to share the fun :)
it's on the wish list

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Had to share... first good week commuting since getting the flu on the long weekend. Overtook 4 cars this week. Genuine overtaking manuevers and made them stick until the next intersection 8) 8) 8)

If you're familiar with Fitzwilliam Road in Toongabbie, I managed to stay fast enough after the lights near the school, heading west, to prevent any overtaking until the roundabout. I wasn't hogging the lane either. I think the Corolla at the front really wanted to have me after we left the lights but I jumped a couple gears and managed to maintain about 54kmh for a couple hundred metres 8)

Also had a trio of blokes just in front of me near Meadowbank Wharf. They realised they were taking up too much space so they cleared a path and one bloke said "drop the hammer" so I launched to 40+kmh until the bike path :lol: Every day.... :wink:

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:33 am

KonaCommuter wrote:Get a cam to share the fun :)
Just watched a few of your vids. Nice work! :lol:

Love the breathaliser one.

argon_18

Commuter Cup Racing

Postby argon_18 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:04 pm

Pulled up at the lights next to another guy on a 'dale. Said "nice bike" as I ride a caad 10. Green light, lead off to a small but sharp climb. Jump out of the saddle and power up. Still got a follower on my wheel... Fair enough.

Come down the other side and approach a reasonably long climb i've struggled with in the past. At 105kg 6'5" on a 63cm alloy bike and heavy wheels I'm never going to press for a KOM.

Felt a bit of pressure on my right shoulder as it looked as though he was prepping to pass on the climb a s we began to rise. Stayed seated and spun hard. The competitive side came out and as I looked down at the speedo I was doing 5km/h quicker than I've ever done before.

"Don't look back... Play it cool... Don't want it to make it look like I'm trying."

Get to the top and stop at a red light. Look back and I've dropped him! See him still coming up about 20seconds back.

Nice. As not a natural climber I was very impressed with myself. Led it home at a pretty easy pace on the flats and was never challenged again. Small victory for me I think... Unless if you're reading this... Wasn't trying at all.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:05 am

argon_18 wrote:Small victory for me I think... Unless if you're reading this... Wasn't trying at all.
:lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:52 am

i've been in terrible form lately, but felt better this morning. two guys came past me on the MYT - lead rider on a roadie, another guy on his wheel with a commuter bike and panniers. so i thought i'd jump on. 3 of us moving along at a moderate ~32 km/h, which is more than i can sustain on my MTB without drafting. then the dude on the commuter passes the roadie! i think - this will be interesting, can he do 32 km/h on a commuter bike? no, he cannot. clearly the gumby has confused the benefit of drafting with having strong legs. eventually the roadie passes him again and then i go by as well - he's stuffed by now. as one of the pros once said - "cycling is about licking your opponent's plate clean before starting on your own" :)

hamwedges

Postby hamwedges » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Slaughtered some guy over the Sydney Harbour Bridge last night.
Im 100kg and 6ft 4in - not exactly built for speed, anyway i see his flash come up behind me, hear his chain rolling through his gears so i knew he must have been close and looking to overtake any second. Anyway, i thought i'd have a go. I didn't want to look like i was trying so i stayed seated and spun HARD for 20sec or so. Still there, we were at the first pylon, calves are mooing, throw it another gear and stand up on the pedals and absolutely explode out of the blocks like a man possessed. Adrenaline hits, throw it another couple of gears and i was flying! Bike's getting airborne as a cross the metal expansion joints, wind's blowing.
He eventually caught up to me just before the top of the steps, on the way down he thanked me for the race and congratulated me on the victory (although there was a hint of a "good for you kid" tone which i overlooked). He had some exotic carbon fiber crotch rocket, i had the trusty aluminium commuter with saddlebags, i complemented him on his machine and made my way down the steps smiling like a shark. Smashed my Strava time by 10seconds too - especially nice because my previous time i got whilst drafting.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:26 pm

hamwedges wrote:Slaughtered some guy over the Sydney Harbour Bridge last night.
Im 100kg and 6ft 4in - not exactly built for speed, anyway i see his flash come up behind me, hear his chain rolling through his gears so i knew he must have been close and looking to overtake any second. Anyway, i thought i'd have a go. I didn't want to look like i was trying so i stayed seated and spun HARD for 20sec or so. Still there, we were at the first pylon, calves are mooing, throw it another gear and stand up on the pedals and absolutely explode out of the blocks like a man possessed. Adrenaline hits, throw it another couple of gears and i was flying! Bike's getting airborne as a cross the metal expansion joints, wind's blowing.
He eventually caught up to me just before the top of the steps, on the way down he thanked me for the race and congratulated me on the victory (although there was a hint of a "good for you kid" tone which i overlooked). He had some exotic carbon fiber crotch rocket, i had the trusty aluminium commuter with saddlebags, i complemented him on his machine and made my way down the steps smiling like a shark. Smashed my Strava time by 10seconds too - especially nice because my previous time i got whilst drafting.
he admitted defeat. well done. and yet still good comradery

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:11 pm

Defeated a small asian lady on a BMX that was to small for her on my way up a hill today. No Camera to record my stunning victory though because I was on my MTB which lacks Camera mount (laziness).
2012 Oppy A4

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:52 am

KonaCommuter wrote:Defeated a small asian lady on a BMX that was to small for her on my way up a hill today. No Camera to record my stunning victory though because I was on my MTB which lacks Camera mount (laziness).
Maybe that's a good thing? We believe you anyway. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

brasstinman

Postby brasstinman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:54 pm

Commuting home on my steel Raleigh with my courier bag slung over my shoulder filled with all my gear and I powered past two guys riding carbon bikes on the M7. They started to give chase and we had a race on our hands. I managed to get to the turn off and left them some 50m behind me. Not a bad effort considering I'd just done a fast paced workout at the gym beforehand. :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 pm

This morning a guy overtakes me on the beginning of Sydney Harbour Bridge (SHB) and rides off about 30 mtrs in front of me. Those who use SHB know it gets less steep as you go, so your speed increases as you ascend. Well this guy instead of going faster, he gets slower, forcing me to overtake him, I was trying to cruise but he was endangering minimum speed on my fixie, I was about to run out of appropriate cadence. When I got to the top, I looked back and he was no where, so I'm guessing he was trying to take a run at the bridge, rather than overtake me and get in the way. Give him a couple of years and I'm sure his fitness will improve.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:15 am

KonaCommuter wrote:Defeated a small asian lady on a BMX that was to small for her on my way up a hill today.
You have no shame! :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:33 am

rkelsen wrote:
KonaCommuter wrote:Defeated a small asian lady on a BMX that was to small for her on my way up a hill today.
You have no shame! :lol:
no CCR points for that anyway

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:13 pm

brasstinman wrote:Commuting home on my steel Raleigh with my courier bag slung over my shoulder filled with all my gear and I powered past two guys riding carbon bikes on the M7. They started to give chase and we had a race on our hands. I managed to get to the turn off and left them some 50m behind me. Not a bad effort considering I'd just done a fast paced workout at the gym beforehand. :)
Aha! :lol: A good warmup works wonders :mrgreen:

I must admit I'm getting walloped at the moment. Sure, they're roadies and I'm on a slicked mountain bike, but it wasn't like this 6 weeks ago! Getting the flu didn;t set me back all that much, much to my surprise, but following that up with cracking a rib didn't help. :evil:

At least the trend is heading back in the right direction again. Once I get past the busy period and get back to more regular sleep patterns, that should kick it back up a notch. :)

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:25 pm

trailgumby wrote:
brasstinman wrote:Commuting home on my steel Raleigh with my courier bag slung over my shoulder filled with all my gear and I powered past two guys riding carbon bikes on the M7. They started to give chase and we had a race on our hands. I managed to get to the turn off and left them some 50m behind me. Not a bad effort considering I'd just done a fast paced workout at the gym beforehand. :)
Aha! :lol: A good warmup works wonders :mrgreen:

I must admit I'm getting walloped at the moment. Sure, they're roadies and I'm on a slicked mountain bike, but it wasn't like this 6 weeks ago! Getting the flu didn;t set me back all that much, much to my surprise, but following that up with cracking a rib didn't help. :evil:

At least the trend is heading back in the right direction again. Once I get past the busy period and get back to more regular sleep patterns, that should kick it back up a notch. :)
Had a similar experience recently. I had been having a pretty good run on the regular commutes, with Strava times steadily coming down. Decided to give it a go early last week and found there was nothing in the legs. Slower everywhere. This surprised me as I was feeling better than I had for a while as I'd finally shaken off a cold. But it was after a couple of nights of two hours less sleep than usual, and it really took the edge off.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Do you have a gut feeling on whether the rider is overtaking you to achieve commuter cup racing status or because they were going faster anyway?

Struck this one Thu morning on Sydney Harbour Bridge (SHB). I was just cruising, after doing a spin class, but I couldn't resist the temptation to up the pace....
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?