Commuter Cup Racing

Xplora

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Comedian wrote:You do know that Friday is the standard recovery ride day, don't you? :roll: :oops: :mrgreen:
If they need to get 20+ people together in full club kit for a morning recovery ride, then they deserve to be toasted. Fully legit victory 8)

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:21 pm

Before hitting the deck this morning, I had a bit of fun going over the Harbour Bridge. Doing a quick shoulder check I noted a hanger on so upped the pace a little bit (still there), a bit more (still there), a bit more (gone) :)

Wasn't really CCR as I was on the CF beastie and he wasn't. Fun nonetheless!

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:27 am

no one to pass this morning, tried to catch the light up front, but afte 10km's only managed to get the light a couple 100 metres closer, and turned off down Vanderline drive they continued up Stuart Hi Way

really getting sick of not having anyone to chase

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:46 pm

CCR racing has been pretty uncompetitive round here lately, been beaten three times this year, all by TT bikes, once when on my singlespeed going up a short climb. The other time two TT in combination, got me on the flat, I got back on up the short climb, then I let them go on the downhill. Could of kept with them for the next couple of kms before they turned off, but not knowing they where turning off and halfway into 42km commute, I used my discretion.

So today, riding my steel singlespeed with cages + flats and in MTB gear , at the only set of lights on the PSP section, 3 roadies in full kit & a guy on a flat bar with SPDs.

The next km or so, we have to ride on a quiet street, cross another street, down a not great path. One of the roadies is in front, the guy on the flatbar is spinning frantically cadence of 120+ and I just tick along in third. Up to Mt Henry bridge, the guy on the flatbar puts in a kamikaze attack and off he flys at 120rpm cutting through slower moving bikes and peds on the bridge. The roadie pulls over to wait for his mates, who we lost at the last road crossing.

Not going to let the flatbar rider get those CCR points, I decide to wait until after the next bridge 3km away, as the PSP here has limited visibility, a rough surface and a decent amount of traffic. Only problem is that while mr flatbar got a decent gap exiting the bridge, I am catching him, without an putting in the effort and his cadence is only slightly better than mine on a 53x16. Pass him without a problem after 1km and set about chasing down some other riders in front. Got half a dozen commuters on roadies, you can see their faces, getting past be a road bike ok, a steel road bike, not the best, the rider is an old bloke in MTB gear, not good, and he is riding in flats on cage pedals, getting worse, it only has one gear, oh dear need to hand my CCR card in.

One rider, took an effort to catch and pass, and I assume he stuck on my wheel, because a couple of kms later he passed me heading up Narrows Bridge, saving face, though I did stick to his wheel for a few hundred metres before he turned off.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm sad that I've never once had an opponent worthy of CCR on my route from Ashfield to Macquarie park and back, the other cyclists may as well be standing still for all the trouble they cause me :( Will somebody give me something to chase?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Just for Kona :P

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:24 pm

trailgumby wrote:Just for Kona :P
Sorry Gumby, I challange you. Commuter Cup Racing. Why were you at the dead end of Bangaroo? Not commuting. Seeking. You can't ride through Bangaroo, you don't commute through Bangaroo. Premeditated. No points dude.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:29 pm

No points for ebikes anyway, according to itsnotarace. :P

I come down off the bridge, past The Lord Nelson and go from the gates at Barangaroo through to Darling Harbour where I work. Much more scenic than Sussex St, no moron motorists and no traffic lights :mrgreen:

Occasionally a big-arse ship blocks the way, but that just makes for an excuse to do the Sea Princess Singletrack

It was just funny how this ebiker went from "I'm cheating, So sue me :P " to "Oh shoot :shock: that's not fair I can't go that fast!" I was disappointed he wouldn't play ball, I was hoping for a draft. :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:41 pm

My route: http://app.strava.com/activities/41720899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm

trailgumby wrote:No points for ebikes anyway, according to itsnotarace. :P

Right at the moment I'm rolling on my Kona MTB because the Gazelle has a flat :(
2012 Oppy A4

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 pm

A bit of ANZAC Bridge humour this morning. I picked up a fellow commuter on the run up to the bridge and sat in until we hit the Bridge. A bit of acceleration got me past him and, as I went past, he got on my wheel. Aha, methinks, a contender! A bit of acceleration and my wheel was soon unencumbered.

Nice looking Argon with some Fast Forward wheels. Everything looked very new so I think he may have been a recent addition to the community.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:07 pm

Kudos for the gentleman who kept a good pace down Thomas St Parramatta this morning, I followed his wheel to South St Rydalmere and did my customary "have a good ride" (additional subtext: goodbye, I'm not going to follow you any longer) as I took off up the hill. Headchecked and he had decided to suck the wheel :x I just kept pounding at 34kmh up the second hill to the roundabout and pretended it wasn't killing me. He pulled alongside as we headed to the ferry wharf, he was impressed by the trihard bars :lol:

Wasn't really racing, just holding a worthy wheel, didn't expect him to go DEFCON 1 when I passed him :mrgreen:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11 pm

goneriding wrote: Everything looked very new so I think he may have been a recent addition to the community.
Welcome to cycling... now here is your foam hat to cover your missing scalp, because that belongs to me know :twisted:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:37 am

Xplora wrote:
goneriding wrote: Everything looked very new so I think he may have been a recent addition to the community.
Welcome to cycling... now here is your foam hat to cover your missing scalp, because that belongs to me know :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: BAM!

I need a ruling.

Clarendon St-Jeffs Shed, I'm waiting for the lights to cross over from the crassino side to head along the Yarra to the Footscray Rd path when bloke A stops for a second then rolls on through the red. I get the green and it's on. I take him on the straight part of Webb bridge, he takes me at the Collins St lights (RLJ), I take him near the big Ferris Wheel, he takes me at Pearl River Rd ([RLJ], big gap as the lights had just gone red for me), I'm on his wheel coming down the overpass and hold it as we take bloke B near Dock Link Rd (who had taken us at Dudley St [RLJ], long sequence). I take A again with a gutter jump at paths end near the Sims St turnoff from Footscray Rd, drop the hammer over the bridge and he's left behind before I'm left into Moreland St and right into Parker and he goes straight. I stop at the red octagon at Whitehall St and BAM!, bloke B roars past, head down bum up, headed for Hyde St at a great rate of knots, getting there and turning left to my right about 5 seconds before me.

I know I took the points on A, clear lead at seperation but what about B?, he had the gap when we parted ways but he did a helluva lot of RLJ and SSJ to get that 5 second lead at the end.

Thanks.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 am

Yesterday a guy on a better looking fixie than mine tacked on, but he didn't last long. It would seem I had better looking legs 8)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 am

Usually not much action on the CCR front for me, but bagged two this morning.

Spotted a step through scooter as I was approaching a roundabout, at the time I didn't think much of it but then when traffic lights held him up decided to see what I could do. I got in front shortly afterward, the diverged onto the cycle way but didn't see him pass. Later on the camera footage saw I had held him for a good km, and he only passed again while I was held up with pedestrians. If I'd stuck on the road would have held him for longer.

Then later noticed a Lycra clad carbon rider up front, chased him down over a km or so, drafted for a few m while waiting for a gap in the busy pedestrian traffic and rounded him up with a cheery good morning and left him in my wake. Counts because I had a back pack, no Lycra and am on an old steel roadie.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:21 pm

Bill, I'm getting the impression you were stopping for signs and lights and general "Road Rules" enforced miscellanea, but A and B were not?

Surely you've won on principle if you've caught up from complete stops?

Or have these gents defeated you in CC standing sprints?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I know I took the points on A, clear lead at seperation but what about B?, he had the gap when we parted ways but he did a helluva lot of RLJ and SSJ to get that 5 second lead at the end.

Thanks.
RLJ is a clear breach of etquette, no points for the offender.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks fellers, I'll hang those scalps in the shed :D

I'm a good boy 99.99% of the time tho' many stop signs end up being of the 0.5 second trackstand variety of stationaryness.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:09 pm

I've broken out my CCR PWNage machine, aka my Malvern Star Oppy A4 (2012 edition) and scored my first two scalps for the 2013 season. :lol:

2012 Oppy A4

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:54 pm

Not CRR probably, but certainly max possible negative points to me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20375254@N ... hotostream

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:08 pm

ft_critical wrote:Not CRR probably, but certainly max possible negative points to me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20375254@N ... hotostream
Was that at the top?

I use to ride down but quit in 2004, saw the aftermath of several crashes

This morning on SHB I overtook some roadies climbing on my fixie and they overtook me on the downhill
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:15 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Was that at the top?

I use to ride down but quit in 2004, saw the aftermath of several crashes
After the first down ramp.

I ride down all the time, when clear enough. I have been abused several times by those coming up the otherside.

This was just riding the front brake; when it flattens the brake bit and I was just hanging in the air on one wheel - the front one. Hanging in mid air over the next down ramp. Then, no longer hanging, all in quite slow motion.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:12 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I've broken out my CCR PWNage machine, aka my Malvern Star Oppy A4 (2012 edition) and scored my first two scalps for the 2013 season. :lol:

Hhaah, you sure owned that bloke on the footpath!!! I haven't had any CCR action this year as I've been away with work, but there's more bikes around lately so hopefully soon I'll spot one and the red mist will make a return :twisted:

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Oh NOES!!!!

:oops:

But it's OK because I scored a scalp earlier that morning

2012 Oppy A4