Commuter Cup Racing

jasonc

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:05 am

bychosis wrote:I thought the essence of CCR is that the other rider doesn't know you are racing.
That's just Kona, who I haven't seen post here in a while

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:50 am

Also what is this ladder carp I keep seeing- you are commuting then you are in the cup, with or without your knowledge, regardless of your vessel of choice. :wink:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:02 am

Had another good CCR run up West Coast Drive to Hillary's last night with a guy on a Look, I just kept my pace (not too hard) as my legs are still recovering from 5 dams course on Monday and this fool would sprint off and then come back to me then I would ride a different diversion and come out in front and he would come screaming past in a sprint again. Just kept my cool and TT'd it and he faltered at the Fishing club. He then commented incredulously on my riding as he turned off up Hepburn, as if a guy with back pack, cheap worn out Giant cross bike, baggy pants and running t-shirt is not allowed to trump a Look.

I apologised profusely and promised to move back to my lowly allotted place in the pecking order (funny thing was my times on strava were nowhere near my PB's)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:14 am

Should have suggested new stiffer chainrings ;)

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:55 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Also what is this ladder carp I keep seeing- you are commuting then you are in the cup, with or without your knowledge, regardless of your vessel of choice. :wink:
That's right. Any pass counts for points. Doesn't matter if it's a kid on a tricycle or a triathlete on a 2kg cf TT machine.

Passing someone on a 'superior' bike doesn't earn you any more CCR points - just smugness points. Earned myself a big dollop of smugness yesterday when I passed a fella on a celeste Bianchi, in celeste lycra and helmet, the only contrasting colour being the black shoes, while I was riding my BikeE in my civvies.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:22 pm

come on, there's an order:

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/gear/articl ... ing-29908/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The food chain: where do you come in the system?

Scooters
Roadies with shaved legs*
Proper rapid singlespeeds (real men, messengers, tarty shiny fixies)*
Roadies with hairy legs*
Faux singlespeeds (fakengers, dirty/functional bikes, silly eggbeater gears)*
Touring bikes (mudguards)*
Fast hybrids*
MTBs on skinnies*
MTBs on knobblies
Bromptons/collapsing bikes
MTB full-sus on knobblies
Shoppers
Shoppers with wicker baskets
Electric bikes

*Pedal Adjustment:

Flats: +1. Toe Clips: 0. Clipless/SPDs: -1
The Rules: Silly Commuter Racing By Numbers

No dangerous manoeuvres. Don’t be a danger to others or yourself. Falling off causes pain to you and others around you, and you lose yer points!
Don’t ride like a c*ck, we’re all just trying to get somewhere!
No passing at lights/ junction/crossings. All passing on open roads only.
Filtering in traffic is null and void (you know if you’ve dropped someone fairly, and haven’t turned off afterwards)
Pavement passes – either you or the target is void
Show no pain – unless your face is just like that

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:35 pm

I'm all for the ladder. No point racing someone on a BSO when I'm on a roadie, but I'll count retirees on a recovery ride or Mr All-the-gear-but-no-idea. Catch is they must be on a bike, or dressed like, they could toast me if they tried.

Having said that, any bike in front of me is fair game for a chase, I'm just not going to claim the points when I pass a rider that could be passed by a two year old on a tricycle.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:40 pm

So where does a velomobile sit on the ladder?

I forgot to post this vid from January, but this was classic CCR: :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Rhubarb wrote:So where does a velomobile sit on the ladder?
on the flats/downhills, you're on your own. if you EVER pass me on an uphill, slap me

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon May 05, 2014 11:13 am

Well if my fingers & toes maths are right, the recent addition of mudguards has bent the yardstick a little in my favour so I'm claiming a point for the young fellow on a flat-bar who slid past me at Como. Chipped away slowly over the next 5km and then made my rejoinder once I had some good momentum and a clear chance to pass. Little blighter chased me though (boys tend not to for some reason!), and kept the pressure on through Bullcreek. Admittedly, at the top near Parry St I confess to getting a little tired and caught sight of him in the mirror again - angel on my shoulder said "eh, it's not a race, you did forget breakfast, I'm sure he knows you'd beat him if you reeeally wanted to, etc".

Then devil on my other shoulder said FINISH HIM!! So I smashed it as hard as I could the rest of the way, didn't see him come back at me again :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:10 pm

Bagged anothe e-bike this arvo, actually I think I've got him before. Bloke on an upright MTB in front of me when I joined the sharepath this arvo. He was going a reasonable pace, but given the downhill thought he wasn't going to be a CCR win. Caution up to him fairly easily, passed and made it stick. Don't think he was going as fast as last time, but I'm still taking the point.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

higdawg

Postby higdawg » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:23 pm

That feeling when you spy someone way up the road ahead of you and you spend 15 mins catching up to them to see them take a right turn when you need to take a left 100m in front of you. :evil:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:08 pm

higdawg wrote:That feeling when you spy someone way up the road ahead of you and you spend 15 mins catching up to them to see them take a right turn when you need to take a left 100m in front of you. :evil:
Is only bettered when you know fast commuters are behind you chasing so you give it a bit, you then turn off at your normal spot (a very minor intersection) thinking you can rest, only to discover they have turned with you!!

Christina Brinkmann

Postby Christina Brinkmann » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:48 pm

I laughed so loud at this video, well done.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:34 pm

bychosis wrote:Bagged anothe e-bike this arvo, actually I think I've got him before. Bloke on an upright MTB in front of me when I joined the sharepath this arvo. He was going a reasonable pace, but given the downhill thought he wasn't going to be a CCR win. Caution up to him fairly easily, passed and made it stick. Don't think he was going as fast as last time, but I'm still taking the point.
I get caught by the occasional one when I'm napping going uphill. They're generally pretty easy to catch on the way down, as the motor (on the legal ones) stops giving them assistance above 25km/h and the bikes are usually geared fairly lightly to help the rider get home when they run out of juice.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:14 pm

jasonc wrote:
on the flats/downhills, you're on your own. if you EVER pass me on an uphill, slap me
Anything happen on your commute home yesterday jasonc that you might like to share re your statement above ? :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Anything happen on your commute home yesterday jasonc that you might like to share re your statement above ? :mrgreen:
I finished rapha rising this week, how did you go?

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:51 pm

Nice work !!!

I still owe you a slap though :-P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:39 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Nice work !!!

I still owe you a slap though :-P
no worries. I'll gladly accept it.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Yesterday going home as I dropped onto the Wynnum Rd bike/footpath from Mowbray park I notice a roadie just up ahead on the road...tried to match his pace but a pain on the footpath so as soon as I got onto the road I picked up the pace and I managed to pass him just past the Hawthorne Rd intersection...noticed that the lights on Riding Rd were green so picked the pace up again and kept the hammer down until I had to break for a car in front of me...checked the fly6 this morning and he was dusted...shame I had to break as I missed the Ghouls gallop KOM by 1 sec...was fun
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Haha "Ghoul's gallop" I regularly get KOM emails on that one... done in cars.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:42 am

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:44 pm

overtook a specialized turbo ebike the other day while i was riding my duel suspension mountain bike, on a slight up hill too ;). I think he was a bit annoyed ;)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:03 pm

iaintas wrote:overtook a specialized turbo ebike the other day while i was riding my duel suspension mountain bike, on a slight up hill too ;). I think he was a bit annoyed ;)
Forgot to charge it the night before? Hooray for annoying a cheat!

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:07 pm

I forgot to post this vid from January, but this was classic CCR: :mrgreen:

That's a classic :lol: