Commuter Cup Racing

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby goneriding » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:39 am

After a few weeks of quiet I hit a couple of hard Cup challenges in the last 24 hours. One was a clear victory but the second I need an adjudication on.

Last night on my way home a guy on a TT bike (non commuter) drafted and then passed me at which point I started drafting him. At a set of lights we both slow, he goes through and I stop-ish. At the change I took up the chase and managed to reattach myself to his wheel. We then hit the bottom of a small rise where I had a crack and was just drawing level when he turned off. So the question is was a win a loss or a draw?

This morning I passed a guy on a nice CF Trek who proceeded to chase me for a couple of km's before passing me and trying to drop me. I managed to stay on his wheel before returning the favour and then putting in a burst up a hill to drop him. It was a good battle as we were in the high 30's to low 40's for most of the effort. Good win.
Image
User avatar
goneriding
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 pm
Location: Strathfield

by BNA » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:07 pm

BNA
 

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby familyguy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:07 pm

I thought I was gonna win the Parriwi Road hill climb this morning, knocking off two guys on the way up. Till 2 other guys passed me with 100m to go and I couldnt get the lock on my suitcase open... :(
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5061
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Chris249 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:19 pm

goneriding wrote:After a few weeks of quiet I hit a couple of hard Cup challenges in the last 24 hours. One was a clear victory but the second I need an adjudication on.

Last night on my way home a guy on a TT bike (non commuter) drafted and then passed me at which point I started drafting him. At a set of lights we both slow, he goes through and I stop-ish. At the change I took up the chase and managed to reattach myself to his wheel. We then hit the bottom of a small rise where I had a crack and was just drawing level when he turned off. So the question is was a win a loss or a draw?

This morning I passed a guy on a nice CF Trek who proceeded to chase me for a couple of km's before passing me and trying to drop me. I managed to stay on his wheel before returning the favour and then putting in a burst up a hill to drop him. It was a good battle as we were in the high 30's to low 40's for most of the effort. Good win.


For a second I thought the guy on the TT bike may have been me, and I was going to dispute losing a Commuter Cup challenge. Luckily I realised I'd done a last-minute hop onto the roadie yesterday morning.

The TT bike is a double-edged sword for a commute - it's easy to get it going fast so it's tempting to use it after a training ride when you want to have an easy commute. Then as soon as you get on it you realise that if you don't blast everyone off you'll like a wannabe, so you've got to go hard anyway. :cry:

I wouldn't like to draft while on the aeros.... not nice if the guy ahead has to hit the anchors.
There are many types of racing cyclists. There is the sprinter, the rouleur, the stagiaire, the danser, the descender.... sadly, I'm a mediocre. :-(

2003 Cervelo P2K time trial bike
2010 Merida Cyclocross 4
2008 Giant SS/track
2008 Vivente Como roadie
Chris249
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Chris249 wrote:The TT bike is a double-edged sword for a commute - it's easy to get it going fast so it's tempting to use it after a training ride when you want to have an easy commute. Then as soon as you get on it you realise that if you don't blast everyone off you'll like a wannabe, so you've got to go hard anyway. :cry:

that's the beauty of commuting on an MTB. you can't lose :)
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8636
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby beauyboy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:50 pm

I personally love the fact that I will have blokes on Roadies blast past me throught the busy Riverside Path in Brissy CBD but I am then able to pull them back in on the floating walkway.

Happened this morning again. Bloke on a roadie overtakes me on the last part through riverside just before the Botanic Gardens. Once in the Botanic Gardens he slows down and I speed up (wider path better line of sight) and I am on his tail :roll: .

What is it with Roadies having to overtake Hybrids

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
User avatar
beauyboy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm
Location: New Farm, Brisbane

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Livetoride » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:56 pm

beauyboy wrote:
What is it with Roadies having to overtake Hybrids

Donald


Well now that's an open invitation isn't it... :P

What I want to know is, why in hell would they slow down after passing you, isn't it rule number 3, that when you pass you just keep on going flat out....


Happy Days are here again
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby goneriding » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:05 pm

beauyboy wrote:What is it with Roadies having to overtake Hybrids


Incorrectly phrased. What is it with commuters having to overtake all other commuters :D

Personally, I don't care what people are riding. At SOP we even have wheelchair athletes training. I chase them too :D

In my book 2 bikes = 1 race.
Image
User avatar
goneriding
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 pm
Location: Strathfield

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby CommuRider » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:08 pm

goneriding wrote:
Personally, I don't care what people are riding. At SOP we even have wheelchair athletes training. I chase them too :D



You have no mercy.

Anyway, with all you commuter cup participants, have you ever chatted to the rabbits you're supposedly chasing? I mean, how do those rabbits know you were intending to chase them?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Livetoride » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:09 pm

goneriding wrote:
beauyboy wrote:What is it with Roadies having to overtake Hybrids


Incorrectly phrased. What is it with commuters having to overtake all other commuters :D

Personally, I don't care what people are riding. At SOP we even have wheelchair athletes training. I chase them too :D

In my book 2 bikes = 1 race.



Bravo :lol:
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby beauyboy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:30 pm

I should of said what is with Roadies having to overtake Hybrids on tight narrow and windy shared paths.

:P

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
User avatar
beauyboy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm
Location: New Farm, Brisbane

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Livetoride » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:40 pm

Those kind or Roadies are what we back home in Ireland call 'Feckin eejits" :P
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby goneriding » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm like one of those dogs that'll chase a ball all day even after it has thrown up. I have no ability to restrain myself in this regard and never have :wink:

@CommuRider - the correct passing procedure is smile and cheerily say morning as if your passing maneuver is of no effort. The reality is that I couldn't have a conversation with them because I need the oxygen :)
Image
User avatar
goneriding
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 pm
Location: Strathfield

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:46 pm

goneriding wrote:I'm like one of those dogs that'll chase a ball all day even after it has thrown up. I have no ability to restrain myself in this regard and never have :wink:

@CommuRider - the correct passing procedure is smile and cheerily say morning as if your passing maneuver is of no effort. The reality is that I couldn't have a conversation with them because I need the oxygen :)


LOL

That's right - the aim is to demoralise the rabbit. Sound nonplussed...relaxed, comment on how nice the weather is and then get the hell out of there before they realise that are about to asphyxiate.

CommuRider wrote:
Anyway, with all you commuter cup participants, have you ever chatted to the rabbits you're supposedly chasing? I mean, how do those rabbits know you were intending to chase them?


Oh.. they know. You can see them darting in the headlights of a rider higher up the bike food chain. :mrgreen: If there is any doubt a few moments of drafting can help announce your presence.

I was riding home today and I was moving pretty well on Gordon and this guy is sitting drafting me. I stood up and powered up the hill out of the parklands, then I'm sitting on just under 40 next to the railway and he cruises by and comments on the cattle smell from the rail yards :D Turns out it's a mate from work. He rides 60k a day commuting and then rides mountain bikes on the weekend. He's a legend.. If I go my hardest and he eases off I can keep up with him for a few k before he drops me :oops: :D
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby betterthanwalking » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:01 pm

A couple of good rides to and from this week. Caught and passed a few on the Expressway cycle path, always do the couple of deep breaths before passing with a cheery 'evening mate'. Even though I really hope they haven't got a good burst in them.

Marion usually provides a couple of victories in the mornings. The numerous lights can make you look a clown as you get stuck and caught, then have to go hard again.

Tonight I killed myself to catch a guy on Marion after Oaklands Road. I sat on his wheel to recover and he looked to be going pretty good. Once I had my breath back I, cruised passed and offered my wheel, as I had sucked his for a while. A quick chat at the lights at Sturt to see where he was going, straight up Flagstaff Hill. He said he'd be slow up the hill but I wasn't sure, so I put the (toffee) hammer down. I didn't look back until half way up and he was right, he was steady up the hills. :) I couldn't see him.

As we hadn't finished the conversation, I waited and we finished the hill together.

Safe commute tomorrow people.

Gavin
betterthanwalking
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:16 pm
Location: Narangba, Brisbane North

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby ft_critical » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:23 pm

There is this old stager who commutes to the city every day RHS on the Pacific Hwy in Sydney. He must be about 65, full-on grey hair. He is on a steel frame, down-tube shifters Repco, first generation Styrofoam helmet, wool jersey and all his kit in a musette.

Man, I love just dropping his a$$ every morning. Never say hello. Hard. :wink:

Just said for fun as this is a pretty positive thread
User avatar
ft_critical
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: Slowing and Fattening :-)

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby hannos » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:14 am

Riding the M5 yesterday afternoon when I see a motorbike filtering through between the 2 lanes of traffic. I know he isn't a bicycle but I couldn't let him pull ahead of me! (I wa son the shoulder).

Upped teh cadence a bit and pushed along at 45-50km/h and stayed parallel to him for about a kilometre. He moved into the left hand lane and I'm riding right beside him. He looked over so I gave a grin before he pulled ahead and took the exit to heathcote road.

Funny stuff - a motorbike being shadowed by a bicycle :)
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4020
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Livetoride » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:32 am

hannos wrote:Riding the M5 yesterday afternoon when I see a motorbike filtering through between the 2 lanes of traffic. I know he isn't a bicycle but I couldn't let him pull ahead of me! (I wa son the shoulder).

Upped teh cadence a bit and pushed along at 45-50km/h and stayed parallel to him for about a kilometre. He moved into the left hand lane and I'm riding right beside him. He looked over so I gave a grin before he pulled ahead and took the exit to heathcote road.

Funny stuff - a motorbike being shadowed by a bicycle :)


Nice work, he must have thought he was seeing things.... :lol:
You should get bonus points for that one


Happy Days are here again
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby jules21 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 am

ft_critical wrote:There is this old stager who commutes to the city every day RHS on the Pacific Hwy in Sydney. He must be about 65, full-on grey hair. He is on a steel frame, down-tube shifters Repco, first generation Styrofoam helmet, wool jersey and all his kit in a musette.

Man, I love just dropping his a$$ every morning. Never say hello. Hard. :wink:

i'll bet you hesitate as you go past, give him the Lance stare then accelerate again :)
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8636
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby betterthanwalking » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:37 pm

betterthanwalking
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:16 pm
Location: Narangba, Brisbane North

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby ft_critical » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:07 pm

jules21 wrote:
ft_critical wrote:There is this old stager who commutes to the city every day RHS on the Pacific Hwy in Sydney. He must be about 65, full-on grey hair. He is on a steel frame, down-tube shifters Repco, first generation Styrofoam helmet, wool jersey and all his kit in a musette.

Man, I love just dropping his a$$ every morning. Never say hello. Hard. :wink:

i'll bet you hesitate as you go past, give him the Lance stare then accelerate again :)


The 'rage' comes with the EPO programme. I will be on the gear soon so that old guy better doubly watch himself. You need every advantage in the commuter cup, a quart of extra blood, look out anyone on the bike path :twisted:
User avatar
ft_critical
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: Slowing and Fattening :-)

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby hannos » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:37 am

Riding the M5 eastbound this morning when I look over my shoulder to check the exit ramp for traffic when I see this particularly bright headlight behind me.
First thought was "No way, he must be ona motorised bike" as I didn't have the faintest idea of where he came from.

So in order to not get caught I upped my cadence somewhat, pushing along at about 40 -45km/h. There was no way I waas going to let this guy catch me!
Managed to stay about 40m in front for quite a few km until I pealed off at Belmore Road.


phew, one challenge staved off :)
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4020
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby westab » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:35 am

hannos wrote:Riding the M5 eastbound this morning when I look over my shoulder to check the exit ramp for traffic when I see this particularly bright headlight behind me.
First thought was "No way, he must be ona motorised bike" as I didn't have the faintest idea of where he came from.

So in order to not get caught I upped my cadence somewhat, pushing along at about 40 -45km/h. There was no way I waas going to let this guy catch me!
Managed to stay about 40m in front for quite a few km until I pealed off at Belmore Road.


phew, one challenge staved off :)


Wow great speed - if it was motorised it must be double points - one point for the riders power and one point for the bikes motor (probably 200watts). :) I don't think I could do that speed even if I was drafting one of those petrol driven bikes.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab
 
Posts: 1316
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 pm
Location: Blacktown, NSW

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby hannos » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:54 am

westab wrote:
hannos wrote:Riding the M5 eastbound this morning when I look over my shoulder to check the exit ramp for traffic when I see this particularly bright headlight behind me.
First thought was "No way, he must be ona motorised bike" as I didn't have the faintest idea of where he came from.

So in order to not get caught I upped my cadence somewhat, pushing along at about 40 -45km/h. There was no way I waas going to let this guy catch me!
Managed to stay about 40m in front for quite a few km until I pealed off at Belmore Road.


phew, one challenge staved off :)


Wow great speed - if it was motorised it must be double points - one point for the riders power and one point for the bikes motor (probably 200watts). :) I don't think I could do that speed even if I was drafting one of those petrol driven bikes.



It's mostly flat and the traffic helps a little bit by pushing the air forwards :)

I have no idea if he was motorised or not, I didn't let him get close enough for me to look. Damn good front light he ahd though.
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4020
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:06 pm

It would have to be gear driven If it was electric as most of the hubs run out of puff long before then. The gear drive jobbies tend to be noisy.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby lethoso » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:43 pm

Smashed a guy commuting on his roady this afternoon, he turned on an intersection ahead of me, I slowly chased him down over the next km or so (he was going a fair clip) then got the jump on him at the bottom of a hill. Pretty sure he didn't even see me coming 8)
Image
lethoso
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:56 pm
Location: brisbane, 4101

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit
cron