Not falling with clipless pedals

zero

Re: Not falling with clipless pedals

Postby zero » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:10 pm

If you have worn SPD pedals and new cleats (I just replaced my old shoes, these are about the 4th set of cleats in those pedals), you may get a lot more float. You also get more float if the tension is set really high. They also unclip earlier if you rotate your foot faster, which may be the side effect that is making it easier for you to unclip when you point your toe down. They can be pretty loose before they pull out to pedal action, so I'd be wary of increasing tension further if you are already finding it hard to clip out.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:56 pm

MORE float:!>!>!>!>!>!> That's ridiculous, because I'd think that putting more tension on the release spring would push the cleat forward, making a more solid grip?

That said - I do believe you, because these pedals have reacted extremely strangely given the "logical" mechanics of a spring loaded lock. I have a feeling that I'm possibly expecting a much more road cleat feel. Can't really get involved in a more difficult pedal though, commuting is commuting. You reckon a replacement pedal is the ticket, zero?

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:19 pm

Xplora wrote:Managed to figure out the problem with the SPD pedals... it seems that there is a significant amount of float in the clip. This means that I'm rotating my ankle a reasonable amount and it's not unclipping, and it's not like I can physically just keep going :roll: It seems to be fine if I push my toe down before rotating, but anyone who has ever clipstacked will tell you that this is the LAST motion you will attempt while trying to flee the bicycle. What a drag. I'm hoping that my new bike, running XTs in all likelihood, will fare better. Seems the regular double sided clips are designed differently, and tighten a different way. Funnily enough, I'm wondering if going tighter would be better, even though it would be hard to twist out, at least it would make a more positive connection? :idea: :lol: I'll have to find a pole to do some testing this weekend
:roll:
I assume your referring to twisting your ankle outwards, have you tried unclipping inwards? I almost never unclip to the outside and doing so feels extremely uncomfortable, inwards requires less effort and less movement just be careful what position in the pedal stroke you do it for obvious reasons.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

zero

Postby zero » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Xplora wrote:MORE float:!>!>!>!>!>!> That's ridiculous, because I'd think that putting more tension on the release spring would push the cleat forward, making a more solid grip?

That said - I do believe you, because these pedals have reacted extremely strangely given the "logical" mechanics of a spring loaded lock. I have a feeling that I'm possibly expecting a much more road cleat feel. Can't really get involved in a more difficult pedal though, commuting is commuting. You reckon a replacement pedal is the ticket, zero?
Mine have worn "body covers" in shimano terminology - the little square bump on the underside is torn up and profile is generally worn - my newer pedals on my roadbike are unworn so they are easier to get out of. The latch and spring is fine. I loosened mine one click and at least I can get out of them now :)

They've always had a fair bit of float so you may not ever like or trust them commuting. Part is available in some places by itself, so I'd guess you'd buy that alone if the rest of the pedal is in good order.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:59 pm

I have actually tried unclipping inwards, just impossible for me. Maybe this Trek is built different to yours? :wink:

I'm seeing the value of double sided pedals now - you only wear the pedal out at half the speed. My wife has been using these things for a few years I think, almost every day, so I could have a lot of wear and not realise it. The weirdest thing is that these things were fine the first few times I rode, suddenly they are much less friendly. I am doing something wrong.

zero

Postby zero » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:13 am

Yeah its my single siders (A530s) that are worn, I have the same symptoms that you do. My double siders on my road bike are fine. I also had the symptoms grow, as I bought the new shoes on sunday and it was friday when I failed to clip out altogether, and had to adjust them.

I can't unclip inwards either, but I have a swing arm and a link in the way on most of the angles that the crank isn't in the way. Can't see it happening on the roadie either, its got a narrower q-factor so the pedals are closer to the frame.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:42 am

Becker_11 wrote:I notice no one has mentioned for the benefit of clipless newbies that while it is recommended to unclip by rotating your heel outward, it is also possible and sometimes requires less of a twist to unclip inwards. All the usual disclaimers apply.
Just watch you don't put your foot into the rear spokes. Been there done that :oops:

Andrew

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:03 pm

Finding the unclipping a bit easier since I've been snapping the pedals a bit quicker, so the float is less of an issue. I think it's very much an automatic motion. You CANNOT think about. It's the same thing as typing on a qwerty keyboard. I'm trying to think of where the keys are and I have NO IDEA. It's just gotta happen. The people suggesting holding a pole and clipping/unclipping 50 times are right.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:47 am

Aushiker wrote:
Becker_11 wrote:I notice no one has mentioned for the benefit of clipless newbies that while it is recommended to unclip by rotating your heel outward, it is also possible and sometimes requires less of a twist to unclip inwards. All the usual disclaimers apply.
Just watch you don't put your foot into the rear spokes. Been there done that :oops:

Andrew
I'm riding a recumbent trike so my feet are a long way from hitting anything other than the boom and i can confirm my ankle bone was sore for over a week after hitting the boom 3 times in the same day due to careless unclipping. Lesson learnt for sure. Before anyone says it though yes I have unclipped inwards on a diamond frame bike and provided you engage your brain before disengaging your pedals it's not a problem :-)
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun May 29, 2011 4:50 pm

I upgraded to M770 XT SPDs yesterday, and my test run (in huge baggy jeans LOL) confirmed that the more positive connection is miles easier to cope with, regardless of tension, because the cleats are able to release properly when they know when they are supposed to be in. Could this result in more releases? maybe. But not releasin sucks way more. M324s SUCK by comparison. More dollars equals better :idea:

DaWoosh

Postby DaWoosh » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm 57 and have just had my 5th clipstack in 3 years of using clipless pedals, and have managed to only ding one saddle, one shifter, and bruise some ribs ouch! My experience is that clipless pedals are comfortable and easy to use on a daily commute of 40kms, and for trips upto 100kms they inspire confidence and lift the bike experience another notch. The problem comes in when I am in a tight situation without much wiggle room like narrow bike lanes with obstacles like guard rails, and cars, people or even my bike doing something unexpected. So now my policy is to ride out of the cleats in tight situations.

marsbe

Postby marsbe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Does anyone try to ride SPD pedals without their cleats for short casual rides with normal shoes? I'm wondering if it's a plausible idea.

herzog

Not falling with clipless pedals

Postby herzog » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:22 pm

marsbe wrote:Does anyone try to ride SPD pedals without their cleats for short casual rides with normal shoes? I'm wondering if it's a plausible idea.

Yeah I do this if I'm just heading out to get the milk etc.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:22 pm

marsbe wrote:Does anyone try to ride SPD pedals without their cleats for short casual rides with normal shoes? I'm wondering if it's a plausible idea.
Depends on the pedals. Some of them have a cage around them, and some have an arrangement where you flip them over and they are normal pedals.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:36 am

A530s have a normal flat on one side, I use em that way for business clothes days, though in practice I can also ride a 520s (double sided clip) with regular shoes. As a friend of mine once discovered the hard way, even really vestigal pedals can be ridden by thieves in joggers.

nappyknicks

Postby nappyknicks » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:46 am

Do-able in flip-flops even, though it feels really odd. :?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:17 pm

I'm actually building an aluminium platform for my M770 double sided SPDs after being incredibly disappointed by the plaastic inserts that came with a free PD505 pair of pedals *THESE ARE TRULY USELESS*. I'll hopefully get the cleats screwed into them and will give them a go soon.

balap

Postby balap » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:38 am

I've just bought a road bike (used) that have clipless pedals. Also came with a pair of bike shoes but it is too big for me.
After reading this thread, I am going to get a wellgo flat pedals to ride the bike for a while.
I might use the clipless one day. I don't like the idea of falling down in a middle of traffic.
Maybe I should get familiar with the bike first.

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:01 pm

2 clipstacks here both after a year of riding....due to fatigue.

balap

Postby balap » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:31 pm

I am waiting for my SPD pedals (Shimano M520) and shoes to arrive.
They'll be install on my road bike that I recently bought.
Hopefully I get used to it quickly without painful clipstacks.

From what I read here quite many people experienced clipstacks even after years of using them?

Tazzy

Postby Tazzy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:05 am

Currently well into week 4 of recovery from stationary clipstack and it's driving me mad. Fell onto outstretched hand and saved bike from all but a slight scratch on the brake lever and side of the pedal. No x-rays but soft tissue injuries to the shoulder and elbow with complications to the ulnar nerve apparently. My advise is don't put your hand out and be aware that fatigue can influence your ability and decision making involved in getting your foot out. I was just starting to get used to the things and perhaps they are a little stiff and new. Still could be weeks before I can resume weight training and probably off the bike for another 2. Hopefully it all comes good soon. Still I wouldn't trade them for clips, which I used when I was a lad, and I'm determined to master them.

balap

Postby balap » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi Tazzy,

I hope you recover well and soon.
I am 47 and falling down is not like what it used to so I try to avoid it all together.

Tazzy

Postby Tazzy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:29 pm

balap wrote:Hi Tazzy,

I hope you recover well and soon.
I am 47 and falling down is not like what it used to so I try to avoid it all together.
Yeah thanks mate.
It's gonna take a while though I reckon, looking awfully like a substantial tear to the rotator cuff, ultrasound Monday. What I thought was weeks could turn into months.
I'm 45 but fitter than I was 20 years ago, unfortunately that doesn't help when you fall. To make it worse I only just recently invested in a 17ft fibreglass sea-kayak, only paddled it twice. I've been doing weight training for the last 9 months in preparation and now this.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:53 pm

I had this happen to me last year :cry:

Then this was the result. It took 11 weeks but I got back to normal cycling pretty quick after that. I'm now 52 so face similar concerns as you. I did get to do some paddling of our kayak over summer. Loving the riding of my new Thorn Nomad Raven touring bike now.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

balap

Postby balap » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:50 am

My kayak has been sitting under the patio since April, probably won't be used again until November.
Also being a sit on doesn't help to keep me warm.

So what is the best way to fall?
Instinctively most people will use their hand like you did il padrone.
We see how motor bike racers deliberately turn to jelly when they fall and slide on the asphalt and gravels.
Most can walk away after a high speed fall.
How to fall from a bike with the least damage to the rider?