2011 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Mugglechops

Re: 2011 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Mugglechops » Thu May 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Only commuting once this week has dropped me down to 18th. By only 200 metres.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sat May 28, 2011 2:20 am

Rhubarb wrote:Checked my ranking the other day and you beauty - I'm up to 7th!!!! Rechecked today and not only am I now well clear of Nick Cowie in 8th but rapidly gaining on Oxford in 6th. On closer inspection though it appears Nick Cowie hasn't entered a ride in a week and Ox hasn't put one in for 2weeks. So not sure if I'm really in 7th or not ....
6-10 is only about 300km difference, things are heating up... I'm down to tenth now though :(

westab

Postby westab » Sun May 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Things are heating up - I'm clinging on to the front page - I hope thats where I stay.

Mrs Westab saw my stats and now she wants to borrow one of my "hambergers burned" for dinner.

It sounds like a good idea. Yum - with bacon and beetroot. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sun May 29, 2011 9:42 pm

I should offer my wife a few of my hamburgers. She's pregnant and the only thing she knows she can definitely eat is a Hungry Jack's Cheeseburger. We've got half a dozen of them in the fridge to be reheated as we're a 40 minute round trip from the closest "restaurant" :shock:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:51 pm

A bad week again for this week. Only 2 days at work and 1 ride of only 26kms. I need next week to be a big improvement or I will soon be on the third page.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:47 am

Mugglechops wrote:A bad week again for this week. Only 2 days at work and 1 ride of only 26kms. I need next week to be a big improvement or I will soon be on the third page.
Don't worry - I too am having a bad week. Monday no commute (still loved the long weekend) and yesterday I had to go home from work (middle kid sick and mrs Westab had to be at work) so no extra km to help with the loss of Monday. Then last night no.1 kid started the projectile vomit so tonight it will be home fast so mrs Westab can take no.3 to his swimming lessons.

All this when I am about to get dropped from the first page - such is life. :wink:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Looks like I've managed to capture 12th spot after chasing it for at least a month or two.

I could do without the lower temperatures on the commute inbound at the moment, but its nowhere near as bad as other places.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:30 am

simonn wrote:
Livetoride wrote:Only 45k between me and 4th position and then 416k between 4th and 3rd. Giddy up here we goooooooo :D :D
Game on. :P
4th place is secure and only 159.24K till I take 3rd from you mate :D :D

Giddy up :twisted:
Happy Days

schurms

Postby schurms » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Well we have had nearly a month of cold weather and looks like the challenge is still on. I am up at 4.30 everyday and out at 5am with the air nice and brisk. Caught the Lunar eclipse up in Brissy at 5 the other day. Luckily it has only been cold. Yet to have a cold and wet morning in Brisbane. The general commuters have thinned out a bit on the road and the number without proper lights is ridiculous.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:00 pm

schurms wrote:Well we have had nearly a month of cold weather and looks like the challenge is still on. I am up at 4.30 everyday and out at 5am with the air nice and brisk. Caught the Lunar eclipse up in Brissy at 5 the other day. Luckily it has only been cold. Yet to have a cold and wet morning in Brisbane. The general commuters have thinned out a bit on the road and the number without proper lights is ridiculous.
Come to Melbourne if you want some cold/wet weather, plenty down here for everyone, numbers decreasing here too, clearer roads, means faster pace :D

Challenge is on indeed, only 158k till I take 3rd and then its on to chasing you, though you do seem to do allot of commuting, not usre if I can catch you, but I'll give it a shot, giddy up :twisted:
Happy Days

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Posted: 16 Jun 2011, 08:30
Livetoride wrote: 4th place is secure and only 159.24K till I take 3rd from you mate :D :D
Posted: 22 Jun 2011 15:00
Livetoride wrote:Challenge is on indeed, only 158k till I take 3rd
At 1.24km/week-ish gain is should only take ~100+ weeks. See you in a couple of years :P

schurms

Postby schurms » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:58 pm

I commute every day - approx 60 ks without fail - up at 4.30 and into work by 6.30am. Then on last couple of weeks I have ridden in to the markets to pick up some goodies on a Sunday. On the weekends I get about 200ks in on the road bike. All up I am around 470 - 500ks a week - of which 300ks are commuting. As a contractor a day off means a day off without pay - I havent had a sick day in years.

My average speed on the commute is only 21-23kph so I don't exhaust myself. I think if I was busting a gut at 28kph a day I would need a rest day but I don't do that.

So in terms of catching me, you need to do more than 300ks a week commuting and / or hope I take holidays - which I don't - or have an accident. That said I have gone from 87 to 77 kgs this year, so the incentive is there for me to keep it going.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:47 am

schurms wrote:I commute every day - approx 60 ks without fail - up at 4.30 and into work by 6.30am. Then on last couple of weeks I have ridden in to the markets to pick up some goodies on a Sunday. On the weekends I get about 200ks in on the road bike. All up I am around 470 - 500ks a week - of which 300ks are commuting. As a contractor a day off means a day off without pay - I havent had a sick day in years.

My average speed on the commute is only 21-23kph so I don't exhaust myself. I think if I was busting a gut at 28kph a day I would need a rest day but I don't do that.

So in terms of catching me, you need to do more than 300ks a week commuting and / or hope I take holidays - which I don't - or have an accident. That said I have gone from 87 to 77 kgs this year, so the incentive is there for me to keep it going.
:| Well I'm doing 245k over 5 days each week, then my usual 130K+ on weekend, so I'm already 55k down on you on the weekly commute. I'm up at 5-30 as it is and don't really want to be getting up any earlier to extend my daily commute K's which is the only way I will catch you... But then if I want to catch and take you, its the only option, don't want to be wishing you get sick if you don't get sick days. Right, there's the answer, get up earlier and log another 11k a day to catch you... Will have to figure out a new route this weekend. Now be fare mate, dont increase your K's on me OK :shock: . Nice weight lose, I've lost a fair bit of weight too, I think too much, I need to get back into the gym and take care of the upper body now.. Will be seeing and passing you) some what soon :D :D

@simonn Those extra 11k's a day from next week (hopefully) should sort you out, better than 1.24k a week eh... :shock: :D
Happy Days

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:40 am

I have been slack doing the extra kms since it got cold and very windy. Have only managed to do just over 30kms a day all this week. Probably why I am down in around 20th place now

Vivifyer

Postby Vivifyer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:56 am

Mugglechops wrote:I have been slack doing the extra kms since it got cold and very windy. Have only managed to do just over 30kms a day all this week. Probably why I am down in around 20th place now
keep up with that slackness so I can catch up after not riding for 5 weeks waiting for a new frame and brakes :D?
=======================
Flickr Stream
DArt Gallery

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:47 am

schurms wrote:I commute every day - approx 60 ks without fail - up at 4.30 and into work by 6.30am. Then on last couple of weeks I have ridden in to the markets to pick up some goodies on a Sunday. On the weekends I get about 200ks in on the road bike. All up I am around 470 - 500ks a week - of which 300ks are commuting. As a contractor a day off means a day off without pay - I havent had a sick day in years.

Nice work. You should pass me today (working at home today) and take the lead. I do go back to my normal commute cycle next week so you will have a bit of a challenge until I go on holidays and semester starts again. When semester starts my commuting gets mucked around due to teaching at two campuses.

Nice work and please don't have an accident :)

Andrew

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:33 am

Guess who's looking forward to manually entering 106 commutes into Endomondo today?

Not this guy, ugh.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:54 am

JBark wrote:Guess who's looking forward to manually entering 106 commutes into Endomondo today?

Not this guy, ugh.
Doh.... :(
Happy Days

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Vivifyer wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:I have been slack doing the extra kms since it got cold and very windy. Have only managed to do just over 30kms a day all this week. Probably why I am down in around 20th place now
keep up with that slackness so I can catch up after not riding for 5 weeks waiting for a new frame and brakes :D?
I will try :D Somehow i don't think it will be hard if these winds keep up.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:52 pm

JBark wrote:Guess who's looking forward to manually entering 106 commutes into Endomondo today?

Not this guy, ugh.
add them all up as a YTD commute?

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:19 pm

lethoso wrote:

Not this guy, ugh.
add them all up as a YTD commute?
I like to see the little bike symbols on virtually every day when I look at my stats. :)

Oh well, all entered, then all edited when I realised I put down round trip distance with one-way times. Couldn't figure out why I was seeing an average speed around 50kph. :)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm

There's a couple of good battles emerging in this comp. 1 and 2 are doing crazy kms. 3,4 & 5 are doing big kms and yet still tightly bunched. Now the battle for 6th is on as well !!!

I've been having a really bad run of late with all sorts of random family and work commitments preventing me from riding. I even planned on riding my bike home the other night from a work celebration function (massive project success) and was doing very well to have sat on 1 light beer up to the point when the $80 bottles of red came out. I made the mistake of just having a quarter of a glass to taste it and ended up getting home via a cab at midnight.

So since jumping up to 6th place a few weeks ago I've been watching Joel/lethoso steadily reining me in, whilst all the while waiting for Oxford to awake from his slumber and dump a backlog of a months rides. It has to be said I didn't see JBark coming.

All good though. I can't do much about it for the next few months but if I can stay close enough to lethoso, JBark and Oxford as they overtake me now, I'm confident I can come back with a few longer and more consistent commutes in the last quarter of the year.

Welcome aboard JBark. :)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:36 pm

Oh and what city / town are you in JBark?

When I'm suffering in miserable weather it helps to know Oxford and lethoso will be too as we're all in Brisbane.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:47 pm

They are serious kms schurms!!! Good effort indeed. I do a relatively meager 33 kms per day over 5 days but go as hard as I can. I don't do much weekend riding though. You do really well to push out those kms without rest days. How do you resist the urge to chase those rabbits? I find I really enjoy a good chase and even attacking a short sharp hill on my own at speed is strangely rewarding. Do you have to hold yourself back? And what if it's an uppity lookin chubby poser on a Pinnarello attacking you at the bottom of a long steady climb?

I'm time poor so I make my kms count. I know I couldn't do my sprints over your distances but I just don't know how you restrain yourself at times.
Last edited by Rhubarb on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schurms

Postby schurms » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:51 pm

andrew - Hi. So you are a uni lecturer? What is your speciality? I saw your LHT and blog and am looking at getting one built up for a commuter as my back is getting too old for a back pack.

I commute on the same bike I currently XC race on - http://www.castech.com.au/Results/marat ... TB1FIM.htm I came 3rd in the Super Masters.... this year

Rhubarb - If you read some of my Bike Journal logs - you will see I often have a few little races. I am a wicked climber on the hills and love nothing more than giving the roadies a bit of curry up the hills on my mountain bike. On Wednesday I went past one guy up a long hill, and he chased me into town and ended up saying "I had nothing" but I did him like a dinner going up the hill. But that is on the last 2 ks or so of my commute. Somehow I think Roadies get more upset if a commuter on 2" knobbies passes them - don't know why :D