2011 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Aushiker

Re: 2011 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:34 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
DavidS wrote:I figure this will automatically add to the stats in the challenge when it starts in January. DS

Hi

Yes it does.

Andrew

Any chance of running a trial in December so we can all figure out how it works?

Hi

There are existing challenges that folks can join if they want. They have prizes as well. One is the Polar Challenge and the other is The AudioFuel Running Challenge.

There is also the most cycling km challenge at http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/mQIuqjso1jM

Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

There are existing challenges that folks can join if they want. They have prizes as well. One is the Polar Challenge and the other is The AudioFuel Running Challenge.

There is also the most cycling km challenge at http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/mQIuqjso1jM

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I have joined all of them. Will be good to get used to how they work before the 2011 challenge starts.
<removed by request>

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

I just tried to use Endomondo for the first time yesterday and i cant seem to get it to pick up a GPS signal. I'm running it on a HTC Aria, and google maps has no trouble accessing the GPS information but Endomondo has a little x over the GPS signal the entire time.

I had a quick google, but couldnt find anyone else witht he same problem. Is there a pro (paid for) version that i need for this to work?
Please help me raise money for Burundi with a 4 day, 1000KM ride to the TDU.
Support the crazy people here

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:15 pm

Gunlock wrote:I just tried to use Endomondo for the first time yesterday and i cant seem to get it to pick up a GPS signal. I'm running it on a HTC Aria, and google maps has no trouble accessing the GPS information but Endomondo has a little x over the GPS signal the entire time.

I had a quick google, but couldnt find anyone else witht he same problem. Is there a pro (paid for) version that i need for this to work?

Hi

They have an FAQ section. Might be worth checking that out. I had similar problems with my iPhone and I have tried today the fix suggested. Will see tonight if it worked.
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

They have an FAQ section. Might be worth checking that out. I had similar problems with my iPhone and I have tried today the fix suggested. Will see tonight if it worked.

Thanks Aushiker, got the fix i needed there.

Has found the GPS signal now, so i assume it'll be good to go for tomorrow commute.
Please help me raise money for Burundi with a 4 day, 1000KM ride to the TDU.
Support the crazy people here

Max

Postby Max » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Has anyone successfully imported a workout direct from their Garmin? I have the latest Garmin plugin for my browser, and the Endomondo software does "see" my 800, but when I tell it to find activities, it just sits there indefinitely, with "Reading list of workouts from Edge 800". I'm wondering if Endomondo doesn't know how to deal with the 800, or perhaps it has a problem with the new .FIT format?

Anyway.. back to manual activity entry for me! :(

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Max wrote:Has anyone successfully imported a workout direct from their Garmin? I have the latest Garmin plugin for my browser, and the Endomondo software does "see" my 800, but when I tell it to find activities, it just sits there indefinitely, with "Reading list of workouts from Edge 800". I'm wondering if Endomondo doesn't know how to deal with the 800, or perhaps it has a problem with the new .FIT format?

Max

It worked with my Garmin FR60 but they are old!
<removed by request>

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Max wrote:Has anyone successfully imported a workout direct from their Garmin? I have the latest Garmin plugin for my browser, and the Endomondo software does "see" my 800, but when I tell it to find activities, it just sits there indefinitely, with "Reading list of workouts from Edge 800". I'm wondering if Endomondo doesn't know how to deal with the 800, or perhaps it has a problem with the new .FIT format?

Hi

There is no mention of the Edge models at the Endomondo Help area but they do respond to questions pretty quickly from my experience. There is a link to get help at the bottom of the page referred to.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

sblack

Postby sblack » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Max

Appears to be an issue with the .fit format.

Tried it with my 500 and it just sat at the "Reading list of workouts from..." message. So next I tried manually choosing a .fit file and it said format not supported. Used Garmin Connect to export a ride to .gpx and that worked. Hopefully it's something they fix soon because that's an annoying workaround.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Count me in, joined up today.

So if I have read the post correctly, you can either import your ride from your phone (in my case iphone) or manually...

Looking forward to it, happy riding everyone :lol: :lol:
Happy Days

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Livetoride wrote:So if I have read the post correctly, you can either import your ride from your phone (in my case iphone) or manually...

Hi

Pretty much yes. On the phone you do need to use the Endomondo application.

Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Livetoride wrote:So if I have read the post correctly, you can either import your ride from your phone (in my case iphone) or manually...

Hi

Pretty much yes. On the phone you do need to use the Endomondo application.

Andrew

Oh, Ok just downloaded it, thanks mate
Happy Days

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:28 am

Just seen this. Im interested, as I recently bought a smartphone, actually a not so smartphone, for a not so smartphone user. Which is me. I don't commute that far, but I'll have a go at setting it up.

tomns

Postby tomns » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:58 am

I'm all signed up !

Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:20 am

I'm in Andrew...seeing most of my rides are commutes
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !

RobertFrith

Postby RobertFrith » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Bit lonely - just Aushiker and me battling it out at the moment, looking forward to some competition :!:

I'm enjoying using Endomondo, I was using BV's Riderlog for distances on a couple of bikes that I don't have speedos on, and Trails when I wanted to get GPS data from a ride. Riderlog was just really easy to use, just open it and press start. Looks like I can get ease of use AND good data AND log my swimming all in the same spot now.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Won't be back at work till the 17th so you all have a wee head start on me :D

Question - for this comp I should use Endomondo ONLY for my work rides.

Does Endomondo then automatically tag the leaders or do we have another progress bar to set up.

PS - Wonder how long till I take the lead.... :lol:
Happy Days

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:16 pm

RobertFrith wrote:Bit lonely - just Aushiker and me battling it out at the moment, looking forward to some competition :!:

I'm enjoying using Endomondo, I was using BV's Riderlog for distances on a couple of bikes that I don't have speedos on, and Trails when I wanted to get GPS data from a ride. Riderlog was just really easy to use, just open it and press start. Looks like I can get ease of use AND good data AND log my swimming all in the same spot now.

I thought it was for work commutes...note on Endomondo you are tracking rides at interesting times of the day
I logged a couple of rides but removed them as they are not commutes
Isn't that what we are supposed to be keeping to ??

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:01 am

I'm only tracking on Bike Journal as that gives me the progress bar down the bottom. First day back tomorrow, and only back for 4 days so I'm going to have to do a lot of catching up after my 3 weeks off to get to my goal of 6,000KM (increased to 6,666KM for the 6K club, we'll see if that happens!).

DS

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

RobertFrith

Postby RobertFrith » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:23 am

ajh003 wrote:I thought it was for work commutes...note on Endomondo you are tracking rides at interesting times of the day
I logged a couple of rides but removed them as they are not commutes

Hi ajh,
Andrew's reply to my question on the same issue: viewtopic.php?p=495179#p495179

So I've been logging any trip that I might otherwise do in a car, trips to the shop, to visit friends, anything that is a to b or b back to a :D
Today I went to Freo pool for my boy's swimming lesson. I went into work in the afternoon to pick up some gear, dropped in on a friend on the way there, took the long way home. Tomorrow we're off to the pool again and I have a job at midday which I'm going to ride to. I've been logging my rides to the shops.

About two thirds of my riding is car replacement, though sometimes i take a longer route than i would in the car. I plan to ride to joondalup later this week for fun so I won't be logging that for the endo commuter thing. Check back through this thread, the topic has been covered adequately already I think. Bon chance...

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:54 am

RobertFrith wrote:
GPS device support is something that bikejournal is sorely lacking - I haven't looked at the BJ forums, does anybody know if they're working on apps?

Hi Robert thanks for the clarification....BTW - I have the same issue with BJ and I am still waiting for a response from them re Garmin input etc

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:15 am

Have just joined. Will be interesting to track the km's against what other people do.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:22 pm

DavidS wrote:I'm only tracking on Bike Journal as that gives me the progress bar down the bottom. First day back tomorrow, and only back for 4 days so I'm going to have to do a lot of catching up after my 3 weeks off to get to my goal of 6,000KM (increased to 6,666KM for the 6K club, we'll see if that happens!).

DS

Hi David

This competition is separate from the BikeJournal one so if you wish to participate in this comp you will need to log your transport related rides separately in Endomondo.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:25 pm

ajh003 wrote:I logged a couple of rides but removed them as they are not commutes

Hi

If the rides replaced the use of a motor vehicle/public transport then for sure log them as cycling, transport and hence they will count in the competition. BTW you can still log rides with Endomondo that are not transport related just categorise them as cycling, sport.

For example I have done four rides since January 1 of which two where recreational and two where transport. All four rides are in Endomondo but only two are in this competition. Endomondo also allows me to easily see the make up of my riding.

Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Livetoride wrote:Question - for this comp I should use Endomondo ONLY for my work rides.

See my reply above, but this competition is only for transport substitution rides; that said you can log also sorts of rides and other sporting activities in Endomondo. It is really up to you.

Personally I log my rides at BikeJournal and in Endomondo and in Garmin Connect but hey that is me :)

Does Endomondo then automatically tag the leaders or do we have another progress bar to set up.

This competition is completely separate from the BikeJournal.com competitions and hence bar does not work with it. Endomondo does have its only Challenge table showing who is leading etc. You will find this at Endomondo.

Hope that makes sense.

Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com