2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: The "Excuses" Thread

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:32 pm

__PG__ wrote:I've got shingles :(
I prefer corrugated iron :D

Naaah, seriously. Fail. Your post belongs HERE.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:39 am

Mulger bill wrote:
__PG__ wrote:I've got shingles :(
I prefer corrugated iron :D

Naaah, seriously. Fail. Your post belongs HERE.
+1

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:54 pm

I've avoided posting so far on a current issue as most niggles I get tend to be brief. However I seem to have separate and distinct problems in both knees ATM and I am concerned that they are persisting.

So if anyone notices I am riding the full distances to and from work somewhat less than usual I hereby register my excuse.

AND THE SOONER I CAN DROP THE EXCUSE THE HAPPIER I WILL BE!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Summernight

Re: The

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:39 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I've avoided posting so far on a current issue as most niggles I get tend to be brief. However I seem to have separate and distinct problems in both knees ATM and I am concerned that they are persisting.

So if anyone notices I am riding the full distances to and from work somewhat less than usual I hereby register my excuse.

AND THE SOONER I CAN DROP THE EXCUSE THE HAPPIER I WILL BE!
I hope the knee issues can be resolved soon.

Slowcoach

Postby Slowcoach » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:07 am

It is still too cold.
Goal:ride to work >2times per week for next 6 months - starting September 23rd2013

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:46 pm

For a couple of weeks walking -even just around the office - eventually gives me an unfamiliar sharp painful twinge in the left leg.

So for week I have been riding only the absolute minimum - to and from the train mostly. And really wanting to get back out there.

But I have not been able to decide if the riding is bad for me or not. It is certainly not obvious if it is, whereas walking is definitely something that requires me to favour the left leg if I do not want to get the pain back in shrot time.

So today I chanced the full ride in with a it with a view to determining if riding is bad or not. It is looking like riding is fine though I'd really like to be more certain. Anyway, I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Slowcoach

Postby Slowcoach » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:47 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:For a couple of weeks walking -even just around the office - eventually gives me an unfamiliar sharp painful twinge in the left leg.

So for week I have been riding only the absolute minimum - to and from the train mostly. And really wanting to get back out there.

But I have not been able to decide if the riding is bad for me or not. It is certainly not obvious if it is, whereas walking is definitely something that requires me to favour the left leg if I do not want to get the pain back in shrot time.

So today I chanced the full ride in with a it with a view to determining if riding is bad or not. It is looking like riding is fine though I'd really like to be more certain. Anyway, I'll give it another try tomorrow.
Perhaps some professional opinion here? ...maybe a physio?
Goal:ride to work >2times per week for next 6 months - starting September 23rd2013

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:39 am

Slowcoach wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:For a couple of weeks walking -even just around the office - eventually gives me an unfamiliar sharp painful twinge in the left leg.

If I had a scan at every niggle I'd be taking time off three times a week. Mostly they are just the things that accrue with age and a lifetime of sport and fitness work and, while they may come back from time to time, are mostly transitory.

Rest assured however that every niggle I do get is not far from my consciousness - I am always giving it my best guess and head to my GP, my orthopaedic surgeon, my physio and my radiographer generally without any reluctance. This may one of those or it may just peter out like about 90 percent of my niggles to.

These guys are on speed dial. :lol:

It was quite good today.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:59 am

My excuse for just a bell and wave not saying G'day to Colin again on Riverside drive is due to the thumping tail wind second day in a row. My last 3km of the trip is usually a good cool down section, but lately the only chance to get that good fast memory to draw upon for all the headwinds on the way home.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 am

eldavo wrote:My excuse for just a bell and wave not saying G'day to Colin again on Riverside drive is due to the thumping tail wind second day in a row. My last 3km of the trip is usually a good cool down section, but lately the only chance to get that good fast memory to draw upon for all the headwinds on the way home.
It did come and go a few times on the way in yeterday, and changed direction as well. Anyway, hoping for a little less when I leave shortly. Perhaps we'll get another chance.

Slowcoach

Postby Slowcoach » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:21 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Slowcoach wrote:

If I had a scan at every niggle I'd be taking time off three times a week. Mostly they are just the things that accrue with age and a lifetime of sport and fitness work and, while they may come back from time to time, are mostly transitory.

Rest assured however that every niggle I do get is not far from my consciousness - I am always giving it my best guess and head to my GP, my orthopaedic surgeon, my physio and my radiographer generally without any reluctance. This may one of those or it may just peter out like about 90 percent of my niggles to.

These guys are on speed dial. :lol:

It was quite good today.

Haha. Hope you took the opportunity whilst it was all feeling 'quite good' to get out for a ride. Gotta take those opportunities when they are there ;)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:18 am

Too hard to transport another bike in me backpack.

DAMN! I hate driving in daylight hours :roll: :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:12 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Too hard to transport another bike in me backpack.
Sorry that is a weak excuse. Shame shame shame. :mrgreen:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Seems to be a few bits missing there Colin :P

Last time I had to do it I rode the damn thing to the station and trained the bulk of it. Best part of 4kms on a 24" wheeled kiddie MTB with me knees up around me ears and then had to *shudder* walk home.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:15 pm

The heat and humdity has sapped my will to ride this morning. I'm saving up for a big ride tomorrow.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:44 am

I have angered the lower back goddess :x
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:00 am

::double:: ... Physio says inflamed disc at/around L5. Been advised to stay off my can wherever possible for the next week to start off and that includes the bike. Wahh boo sux.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:14 pm

bugger lizzy. but i'd say that's an approved honourable reasons post under the "under medical direction"

will have to come up with an official list

Me today: day of annual leave - still rode but nowhere to commute to :D

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:36 am

Don't get me wrong, I like riding in the rain, but there is rain and then there is RAIN. I could not see the road it was so heavy, and there was flash flooding because of the mouse holes they call drains here. So I turned back. There's is always another ride.

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:07 am

9 days straight and 300km...I'm tired so today is a rest day.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:31 am

Makes me look like a real wimp when it's too cold or wet for my liking...

"Man Born Without Arms Rides Bike Built By Custom Manufacturer (VIDEO)"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/2 ... ref=topbar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crunched

Postby Crunched » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:48 am

I regularly use the "I haven't checked the tyre pressures nor lubed my chain in a few days, don't have time this morning to that first".

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:36 am

My bike was already at work so I couldn't ride to work.
<removed by request>

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:00 am

I had my work-supplied laptop, which has to be carried in a work supplied, OH&S approved, backpack.

Said backpack is useless for cycling, with no retension straps.

I've also had enough sliding falls on my bike that putting the laptop in the soft-sided "panniers" of my Topeak MTX EXP bag ( http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/mtxtrunkbagexp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) was not viable.

Looking forward to tomorrow's ride in!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000