Postby bosvit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:54 pm

My wife wont let me :oops: :cry:
bosvit

by BNA » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:04 pm

BNA

Re: The "Excuses" Thread

Postby Oxford » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:04 pm

bosvit wrote:My wife wont let me :oops: :cry:

Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby Max » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:21 am

Bosvit, she won't "let" you? Time to get yourself a new missus. :P

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby bosvit » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:44 am

Max wrote:Bosvit, she won't "let" you? Time to get yourself a new missus. :P

Max

LOL thats what I'm trying to avoid!

The fact that it is completely untrue has nothing to do with it of course... :lol: :D :lol:
bosvit

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:05 am

First use of the car to work since...October, November of last year. Feeling weird and good that commuting to work on the bike hasn't been a painful transition at all.

Attending the symphony tonight (performing is Taiwanese-Australian Ray Chen with his Stradivarius!) so the cage will make me feel more secure than dealing with the hoons coming to the Cross and George St. 9pm on the bike in the CBD is already pretty hairy, so no risks for me at midnight especially on a Friday night.

May enquire tonight when I pick up the tickets whether the SOH does have secure bike parking so I can attend matinee performances. Given Wilson Parking charges an extortionate amount for car parking there, paying a nominal bike park fee to ensure my bike and its contents are safe is something I do not mind stumping up for.

(and speaking of the Strad, front cover of this week's Economist:
)
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:47 pm

I used to ride a bike and aimed at three or so times a week. But like most of us, there were many times that I would find reason not to ride, oftimes when I should have.

It seems that, for me at least, the only time that I am weak is during that time around wake up. Once on the road I will readily hop off the train early or ride the whole way in. So I have, for 27 months now, simply taken the no-ride option off the table.

Nowadays, at least for work days, I simply ride regardless. As it is not optional I have found that the only chance to pike is on how much of the trip I will do on the unicycle and how much I will do on the train. And it has proven to be that I can make those decisions purely according to legitimate circumstance - am I running late, etc.

The last time I did NOT ride at least the minimum daily commute was November 6, 2008. And I have been increasing my optional legs ever since, adding in more weekend errands and so forth. It helps too that in Perth even stormy weather is still quite tolerable. It also helps that my wife brings in fresh shirts as required.

As I said, it seems for me to be getting over that waking-up spell. I wonder how many others are only at their weakest as they start the day.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Fred Nurk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:44 pm

stinhambo wrote:Image

This

I should be disappointed, I only dropped 3 days because of that (the other two days that week was commute by plane, so no chance there). Got a bit wet last week though.
Fred Nurk

Postby BoardRider » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:38 am

I couldn't leave this guy home alone
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown
BoardRider

Postby Fred Nurk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:44 pm

BoardRider wrote:Image
I couldn't leave this guy home alone

Thats scarily close to a drop bear. Are you safe leaving that anywhere near your house?
Fred Nurk

Postby Fletcher » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 am

bosvit wrote:New bike still not here over 2 weeks late.

I'm having a tantrum and refusing to ride either of my other perfectly good bikes! :mrgreen:

Hehe
Fletcher

Postby Dropbear20 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:38 pm

Fred Nurk wrote: Thats scarily close to a drop bear. Are you safe leaving that anywhere near your house?

DROPBEAR? Where?

Today's excuse - had to drop off my youngest son (Dropbear Jr?) at his choir practise. He's 10 and in a new school, and joined of his own accord. Practise every Tuesday at 7.45am. He's a little too young to take on a 23km commute, and he won't fit on the back of the bike.
Dropbear20

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:23 pm

Gonna be minimal distances for the next few days :(
A small saddle sore I don't want growing.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby bosvit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Had to take the ute to work because I had to get fuel in the boat and some extra tackle because my brother is camping over at Coffin Bay and I have to take him fishing tomorrow.

Can't ride tomorrow, see above!
bosvit

Postby CommuRider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:42 pm

Pfftt :P

How big's the boat?

Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby broady » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:03 am

Been sick with the flu. Haven't ridden since last Monday :(
broady

Postby Dastirum » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:48 pm

I don't know if this comes in the excuse category or not, but I rode in to work yesterday morning and fully intended to ride home, but looked out the window at 4 ish and it started raining. So I thought bugger it! I had to be at a function at Sydney Uni by 6.30 so I left the bike at work and caught the bus home - the bike is chained up in the bike racks 3 levels underground so it's safe. The rain only last 5 minutes!!!!! Later on in the evening there wasn't even a cloud in the sky. Caught the bus to work this morning (well I couldn't ride, could I?) and will ride home.
Dastirum

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:04 pm

CommuRider wrote:Attending the symphony tonight (performing is Taiwanese-Australian Ray Chen with his Stradivarius!) so the cage will make me feel more secure than dealing with the hoons coming to the Cross and George St. 9pm on the bike in the CBD is already pretty hairy, so no risks for me at midnight especially on a Friday night.

May enquire tonight when I pick up the tickets whether the SOH does have secure bike parking so I can attend matinee performances. Given Wilson Parking charges an extortionate amount for car parking there, paying a nominal bike park fee to ensure my bike and its contents are safe is something I do not mind stumping up for.

(and speaking of the Strad, front cover of this week's Economist...

Luthiers through the centuries have tried to copy the Strad but none came close to the best of the master's. Yet again, Stradivarius also produced some undesirable instruments in terms of sound quality. The best of its quality is much more than just getting the micron dimensions right.

As for SOH parking. There are bring-your-own-lock public bike racks underneath the main stairs but nothing in Wilson Parking. Otherwise you can head for Domain Parking and they have dedicated bike spaces.

But seriously, do you really want to show up for a classical concert in sweat? Public transport makes much more sense if you don't want to drive.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby silkishuge » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:03 pm

I have not ridden since last Wednesday, which was my last commute to work and might be for a while. My excuse is I had a bad fall going down Bobbin Heads. I blame myself and 40% on a car that overtook me in a dangerous spot, which made me lose my concentration. The driver surprised me, overtook over double white lines on the down hill and at speed. I fell at the middle ranger station right bend and landed on m,y left side of the body which resulted in one week in hospital, 2 surgeries and medical exemption from work till 18th April 2011. SO I guess that rules out riding on the road for a while,but I hope to be back on the trainer next week. I worked hard to get to this level and don't want it all to go to be wasted. So that is my excuse.

ps: special thanks to John and Hugh for stopping to scrape me off the road and keep me conscious. Mrs S also would like to thank you for helping her direct the ambulance to the "remote" location.

Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby Oxford » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:17 pm

hope you heal up silkishuge.

but you do know that you were an obstruction and overtaking you was quite OK over the double lines. sorry wrong thread. :oops:
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby goneriding » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:53 pm

silkishuge wrote:I have not ridden since last Wednesday, which was my last commute to work and might be for a while. My excuse is I had a bad fall going down Bobbin Heads. I blame myself and 40% on a car that overtook me in a dangerous spot, which made me lose my concentration. The driver surprised me, overtook over double white lines on the down hill and at speed. I fell at the middle ranger station right bend and landed on m,y left side of the body which resulted in one week in hospital, 2 surgeries and medical exemption from work till 18th April 2011. SO I guess that rules out riding on the road for a while,but I hope to be back on the trainer next week. I worked hard to get to this level and don't want it all to go to be wasted. So that is my excuse.

ps: special thanks to John and Hugh for stopping to scrape me off the road and keep me conscious. Mrs S also would like to thank you for helping her direct the ambulance to the "remote" location.

Jon

Sounds like a nasty accident. Heal quick!

One thing you didn't mention was how the bike fared?
goneriding

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:09 pm

I had far too many things to do after work today to ride.

Took me an hour and a half to do them in the car
Mugglechops

The "Excuses" Thread

Postby Max » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Yowsa, Silk! Heal quick.

My excuse for the forseeable future: I'm looking after a pair of rambunctious puppies and I'm not quite ready to leave them at home unattended. Working from home is no fun in this heat. :(

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby silkishuge » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks guys. I am healing very slowly. They had to remove a huge slice of flesh from my thigh and grafted to my elbow. The bike is fine. Not a single scratch on the frame, but pedal, skewer and shifters were scratched, wheels needed to be trued and front and rear brake cables needed to be replaced. Not happy about the scratched shifters but works perfectly. All other components are fine.

Ride safe.

Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby Apple » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:39 pm

silkishuge wrote:I have not ridden since last Wednesday, which was my last commute to work and might be for a while. My excuse is I had a bad fall going down Bobbin Heads. I blame myself and 40% on a car that overtook me in a dangerous spot, which made me lose my concentration. The driver surprised me, overtook over double white lines on the down hill and at speed. I fell at the middle ranger station right bend and landed on m,y left side of the body which resulted in one week in hospital, 2 surgeries and medical exemption from work till 18th April 2011. SO I guess that rules out riding on the road for a while,but I hope to be back on the trainer next week. I worked hard to get to this level and don't want it all to go to be wasted. So that is my excuse.

Jon

Oh Silk,
So sorry to read this, I had no idea.
Get better soon, When you are well again, maybe I will see you at Bobbin

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:41 pm

My excuse is that I have to much on my mind. :(
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
Apple

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting