The "Excuses" Thread

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: The "Excuses" Thread

Postby jasonc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:34 pm

poohkies wrote:still way way to cold :)

no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.
jasonc

by BNA » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:31 pm

BNA

Postby TraceyG » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:31 pm

I bailed on Tuesday and Thursday because the headwinds would have sent me backwards at a greater rate than I could have pedalled forwards. Went for a short walk at lunchtime and genuinely had difficulty walking forwards at one point!

But I did get in 50km from Licola almost all the way to Cowwarr (hubby arrived in car to pick me up with a promise of coffee - how could I say no) - took serious concentration to stay safe with the wind blown debris all over the roads.
TraceyG

Postby Lizzy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:01 am

I got maimed by the edge of a chamois last week. Missing bark where leg becomes cheek, its currently in the "keeps popping back open" stage. It happened once before when I got saturated in the rain and I thought it was an isolated incident, but it happened again in dry weather. Those pants are so going in the bin. Bad scene!!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:32 pm

I'm now on leave for eight weeks and almost all of it is away OS.

While the iron lump is coming with me for company, mostly I will be doing "touristy" things and there is no way will I get to replace the every-morning distance that I do to and from work. Though I will certainly be trying.

I'll try and post a few pics of the both of us as we wander the paths and tracks of Europe. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:42 pm

definitely jealous colin. enjoy and have safe travels
jasonc

Postby nezumi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:42 pm

Leaving my bike at work tonight.

Aside from the fact that I will be working late and won't have sufficient layers for the night air, my phone died on the ride in today - this means no Strava, and as we all know - if it's not on Strava, it doesn't count.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby TonyMax » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:02 am

It's still too cold. I know I'm falling way behind in my quest to do 6000km this year, but the plan is for twice weekly commutes starting September (when it's a little warmer) which will give me at least 150 commuting km per week until the end of the year.
TonyMax

Postby Sweeper59 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:51 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I'm now on leave for eight weeks and almost all of it is away OS.

While the iron lump is coming with me for company, mostly I will be doing "touristy" things and there is no way will I get to replace the every-morning distance that I do to and from work. Though I will certainly be trying.

I'll try and post a few pics of the both of us as we wander the paths and tracks of Europe. :mrgreen:

Colin, I've just come back from an 8 week tour of the UK and Europe. Before our holiday, I got online and checked out the hotels involved with our tour, and was happy that most of them included a gym. But despite vowing to exercise as often as possible, the bottom line is ..... I used the gyms a total of ZERO times in 8 week !! Sure, our tour involved plenty of walking, but it also involved too many good beers, an excess of good food and many hours sitting on buses, trains, planes and ferries!

We had a fantastic holiday, saw plenty of amazing sights and met some great people - but I came home with quite a few extra kilos and very unfit. Two months later, after lagging at the back of the pack almost ride, I'm only just starting to get back to some reasonable fitness. I've been riding 2 or 3 times a week, as well as a couple of circuit & weights sessions with a fitness group, but the first few weeks back were bloody hard work. I'm happy that I've loss 3 of the 6 kilos I gained on our trip, but I've still got a long way to go fitness-wise.

Enjoy your trip! :D
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!
Sweeper59

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:46 pm

My lame excuse of the day is that my foot is sore from running on the weekend.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:10 am

Lining them up this morning
1: cold
2: wet, not raining but plenty last night
3: sore back
4: junior got up early so too hard for me to get ready and leave early
5: cars lonely in the driveway
Almost forgot
6: windy, although for half way it'd be a good tailwind.
Edit: further rain forecast for home time
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Lizzy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:01 pm

Been stress-eating crap, ipso facto feeling like it, therefore failing to procure appropriate fuel and ride. Yargh
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby fat and old » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:14 pm

I have ebola :(
fat and old

Previous

Return to Commuting