Resolutioners - that time of year again

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Resolutioners - that time of year again

Postby Oxford » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:06 am

Well we are coming up to that time of year again, its only about a week away where people will make the new years resolution to get fit and lose weight after indulging too much over the break. I suppose as regular commuters its time for us to show some compassion and also some caution.

Be aware that some of these people will be riding after a long time away from a bike so will be unsteady, so give them some room and be patient as they wobble along.

If you see someone in need of assistance, take some time out and help them, build up some bikema (bike karma).

Most of all, try and encourage them, the more that get through that initial "what the hell am I doing this for?" period and become dedicated "this is a helluva lot of fun!" commuters the more potential for better facilities for cyclists in general.

Feel free to add any other suggestions that come to mind.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

by BNA » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:13 am

BNA

Re: Resolutioners - that time of year again

Postby lovemybike » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:13 am

Oxford wrote:If you see someone in need of assistance, take some time out and help them, build up some bikema (bike karma).

Most of all, try and encourage them, the more that get through that initial "what the hell am I doing this for?" period and become dedicated "this is a helluva lot of fun!" commuters the more potential for better facilities for cyclists in general.

:D :D Good one! I wasn't even riding this time last year but thanks to encouragement from other riders and people on this forum I'm still at it and loving it. Good bike karma is worth it :)
lovemybike

Postby jet-ski » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:20 am

If you carry spares and see someone with a flat, help them out. Do the 'bike wave'. Slow down a little when passing if you're a 30kph+ type rider.
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
jet-ski

Postby lethoso » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:58 pm

jet-ski wrote:If you carry spares and see someone with a flat, help them out.

do this, otherwise bike karma will get you. Last time I rode past someone with a flat my crank fell off later in the ride :lol:
lethoso

Postby lovemybike » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:12 pm

jet-ski wrote:Do the 'bike wave'.

:D :D :D
lovemybike

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:38 pm

That there is a great point, X.

Can I just say that whenever I've bumped into noobies I've been on a PB attempt and chocked out pearls of wisdom like "keep at it - it'll get easier" as I've powered past them. This has not left me feeling great afterwards :oops: :oops:

Hopefully I've counteracted this with the noobie rides I'm running for the noobs at my workplace. :mrgreen:
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby Fletcher » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:10 am

lethoso wrote:
jet-ski wrote:If you carry spares and see someone with a flat, help them out.

do this, otherwise bike karma will get you. Last time I rode past someone with a flat my crank fell off later in the ride :lol:

:lol: that's gold
Interesting how very few people ride past a lady with a flat.
Fletcher

Return to Commuting