Project: My Custom Commuter

Crawf

Project: My Custom Commuter

Postby Crawf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:06 am

Thought I'd start this thread in here. I've decided to build my own commuter bike-based on a belt drive and Afline setup. I currently commute on a single speed belt drive bike now (see sig) so I like to think that I'm educated on the pre-req's and in's & outs of belt equipped bikes. After 7000km on my current ride i've gotten acquainted with what works ok and what I really need in a commuter. Off the shelf there really is only one option for the type of bike I want as a commuter, and that's a Civia Bryant, but unfortunately there are no suppliers in all of Europe.
This will probably cost me an arm n a leg but I plan to do this right the first time and get many, many years out of it, the Peacemaker will be sold once this project is complete and with the addition of the 'ole christmas bonus it shouldn't hit the wallet too hard! The parts gathering has begun...

The frame:
I'm really not one for slack n lazy geometry on road frames - this will be no exception, so she'll be quite aggressive in geometry. I may live to regret this in the future if I ever have back problems but I'll guess we'll see :D
She'll be treated to internal cable routing & cable guides for full cable housing runs, integrated head tube, horizontal drop-outs with built-in tensioners and a rear disc mount which I have been longing for for a while!
It'll also have an SS coupler on the drive side seatstay to get the belt on and off. No rack mounts or mudguard mounts, my mud guards are clip on.
I'll be upping the tubing and wall thickness in effort to stiffen the rear triangle and avoid the dreaded belt slippage. It'll also need some attention in regards to front belt ring clearance so hopefully the frame builder gets this spot on :shock:
So who's making the frame?... XACD.

More to come...

trailgumby

Re: Project: My Custom Commuter

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:55 am

Sounds like a great project. :D I really like your existing commuter - looks like a great ride.

With the increased flexibility the multigear hub provides, I'm thinking it would be very worthwhile to add the rear pannier rack mounts even if they won't be used immediately. Would give you the option of doing a multi-day tour.

I used to thnk panniers were so last century, ugly parachute windcatchers that I wouldn't be seen dead with on my bike. However, when I had to face carrying my laptop around from time to time I found my lower back didn't get on with the extra kilos at all. Now I can do that quite comfortably, and I notice the hot summer weather a lot less without a heavy pack on my back.

I am a little slower with them on, but I just shrug my shoulders and think of the training effect, and t's only 2 minutes to remove them for the weekend ride.

Just a thought. :)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:47 pm

Hey trailgumby, yep you're right, I was also thinking about this last night and thought it wouldn't hurt to have the mounts added for future flexibility, like you said I only dislike panniers because they look damn fugly, but my commuting setup could always change, so they have been added to the design along with mudguard mounts!

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Frame has arrived, looks sweet, no visible issues with the frame...